As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Earth Defense Force 2017: Happy Birthday Thread, 1 Year

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
I'm not going to go for a big and flashy OP, but I just thought it would be worth mentioning that the new 360 title Earth Defense Force 2017, sequel to the SNES and PS2 EDF games, is now in stores and at the bargain price of 40 bucks. How about we talk about it a bit? It's getting reviews in the 60-80% range right now. Does anybody have it yet, what do you think?

For those of you unfamiliar with the game;
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=3243

1165880903.jpg

1170377443.jpg

1165880901.jpg

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    every preview ive read has said its horrible, yet horribly addicting at the same time.

ill give it a rent, though. gotta support games that let you kill swarms of ants with rocket launchers.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    every preview ive read has said its horrible, yet horribly addicting at the same time.

ill give it a rent, though. gotta support games that let you kill swarms of ants with rocket launchers.

I have EDF 2 for the Playstation 2. It's a mix of neat ideas, and utter bargain basement production values regardless of how neat it looks. I wouldn't pay $40 for it to save my life though.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wasn't EDF on the SNES a traditional side-scrolling shooter like Gradius/R-Type?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wasn't EDF on the SNES a traditional side-scrolling shooter like Gradius/R-Type?

I was thinking the very same thing

LewieP on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Definitely going to pick it up when it's a little bit cheaper, looks like a lot of fun, but pretty shallow and not with a lot of production value.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Definitely going to pick it up when it's a little bit cheaper, looks like a lot of fun, but pretty shallow and not with a lot of production value.

At least you can manually aim in this one :P In the last game of the series the crosshairs jumped around the screen to whatever enemy was closest. So if you had creatures way up high, and on the ground, it would jump between them wildly. The game came very close to making me throw up after a while :P

Aoi on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Doesn't this have co-op?

Most of the reviews I have read said that it was unpolished, but wildly fun. One reviewer said that the game slows down a bit during certain scenes, but that they were so badass he didn't care about the slowdown.

edit: World's most one sided fight!

929255_20070302_screen002.jpg

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is that a weiner dog

Kami on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Picked it up yesterday right after it came in, got the last copy, haven't had a chance to play it yet.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    Doesn't this have co-op?

Most of the reviews I have read said that it was unpolished, but wildly fun. One reviewer said that the game slows down a bit during certain scenes, but that they were so badass he didn't care about the slowdown.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE fighting these things. The screenshot doesn't do justice to how flexible they are, they'll twist their waist almost 360 degrees, lean "back," twist their arm almost completely down at the elbow and put that gun right in your face even while you're like ten inches away from them. Fucking awesome. This game is fucking awesome.

"Earth Defense Force" in the arcades and on the SNES is a totally unrelated game.

The only time lots of slowdown occurs is when spacecraft the size of baseball fields are falling into buildings two feet away from you because you fired a dozen rockets into it or when there's so many ants attacking you that every time you fire a rocket ten of them fly into the air in different directions and a skyscraper collapses. So worth it.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Doesn't this have co-op?

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE fighting these things. The screenshot doesn't do justice to how flexible they are, they'll twist their waist almost 360 degrees, lean "back," twist their arm almost completely down at the elbow and put that gun right in your face even while you're like ten inches away from them. Fucking awesome. This game is fucking awesome.

"Earth Defense Force" in the arcades and on the SNES is a totally unrelated game.

The only time lots of slowdown occurs is when spacecraft the size of baseball fields are falling into buildings two feet away from you because you fired a dozen rockets into it or when there's so many ants attacking you that every time you fire a rocket ten of them fly into the air in different directions and a skyscraper collapses. So worth it.

This is already a lot of information, and don't get me wrong, i appreciate it, but..........i want more.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    ashdragonashdragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Two friends and I each bought a game yesterday. We picked up armored core 4, god of war 2 and earth defense force 2017. God of war is a masterpiece of gaming, armored core was simply ok. EDF looks outdated graphically, very simple controls ( 3 buttons used for the majority of the game) and a silly story line (such quotes as "we have named the aliens ravagers, we still do not know if they come in peace").

Despite everything EDF was played by far the most played out of all games picked up yesterday. EDF is thrilling and addictive, from the rush to get new weapons to the joy of sending giant bugs flying is unreal. The game is neither deep nor innovative, it is simply fun. I highly recommend picking it up. They only had one copy at my store, so you should look soon.

$40.00 was a bargin, I would have paid 60.

ashdragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    devolve wrote: »

This is already a lot of information, and don't get me wrong, i appreciate it, but..........i want more.

I would love to give more information on this totally rad game.

You are a captain in the Earth Defense Force. The Earth Defense Force was formed when the people of Earth confirmed that intelligent life exists outside of our planet, in the event that said life ever proves itself hostile.

It has. And the progression of hostility is awesome. The first several levels have you battling giant ants. The next few levels have you battling giant ants as well as the ships that drop them off (yes it is as fucking awesome as it sounds, large saucers with a bottom hatch that opens up, ten dozen giant ants just fall out of it from 1,500 feet). Then you fight the robots that pilot the ships that the aliens sent. Basically as a member of the Earth Defense Force you take on every possible thing that has ever invaded earth in our pop culture.

There are several weapons available to you, at the start of each mission you can pick any two (even two of the same one if you really want) to go into battle with. It's all about rocket and missile launchers, of which the game has several that you unlock as you progress.

There's a ton of detail in the enemy animations that really helps out the game's (very good compared to what reviewers are saying) graphics. The sound effects are great too. The rapid clang as you machinegun a giant robot and the way it's synched with each jerky motion of the robot as it gets hit is awesome.

There's no cover system, no crouching/crawling/laying prone. No leaning. There's nothing fancy, you run around and ruthlessly destroy hundreds of invaders per mission in the name of the Earth Defense Force. There's about fifty-three levels of varying lengths.

The game has same screen coop.

Every single structure in each level can be destroyed with heavy weapons. If there's ten giant ants crawling around the building you can fire a rocket at its base to collapse the whole thing, or fire a rocket at the ants' location to cause them to get blown off of it and die as the building collapses.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ashdragon wrote: »
    TEDF looks outdated graphically

I gotta speak up here, what is so outdated about this game's graphics? It's not Gears of War but as far as budget 3D games go it's the best looking one I've ever seen. Maybe the reviews/word of mouth lowered my expectations too much but I think the game looks more than adequate, and downright awesome in some areas (i.e., multiple giant robots exploding as skyscrapers fall down, of this I shall never tire).

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh shit, I completely forgot that this came out.

...I need my own 360. Playing my dad's every couple weeks is not sustaining me.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    ashdragonashdragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote: »
    ashdragon wrote: »
    TEDF looks outdated graphically

I gotta speak up here, what is so outdated about this game's graphics? It's not Gears of War but as far as budget 3D games go it's the best looking one I've ever seen. Maybe the reviews/word of mouth lowered my expectations too much but I think the game looks more than adequate, and downright awesome in some areas (i.e., multiple giant robots exploding as skyscrapers fall down, of this I shall never tire).
    to
    Nothing compares to gears graphically, IMO. Honestly though, compare with it with games like lost planet and dead rising. I don't think there is much of a contest. The spraypaint blood to the 2d drops are two of the primary examples.

I really don't think the graphics are that important in this game though, they do what they need to. Though I do wish the ants got blasted to pieces when you hit them with rockets n such.

ashdragon on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've only played the first two missions and I'm REALLY digging on this game. It may be a budget game, it may have technical problems, and cut corners, but that doesn't stop it from being absolutely and undeniably FUN! Also I find the graphics to be quite good for what you are paying for and just in general. Not super fantastic but better than plain vanilla. I highly recommend picking it up. And if a sequel ever comes out on the 360 with online play I'll rubberband 60 bucks to my dick and thrust it across the counter when I buy it on the release date.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    ZombieXZombieX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would be playing this game right now if I still had my 360, sigh. I'll be picking it up once my system gets shipped back to me.

ZombieX on
    Undead+Hero%20X.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does this control better than, say, Bullet Witch? Japanese shooters of the 3rd and 1st-person persuasion don't seem to fair very well.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Does this control better than, say, Bullet Witch? Japanese shooters of the 3rd and 1st-person persuasion don't seem to fair very well.
    It controls fairly well.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    :awesome stuff:

I think you just sold me the game. Tomorrow my wallet cries and I have a kickass time blowing up giant ants.

bruin on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:

I think you just sold me the game.

Ditto! This one has been on my radar for a while, so i'm glad to hear it's just raw fun. :D

Polago on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It controls fairly well.

Except for vehicles. You'll have trouble turning any vehicle in the game, and you will never be able to go backwards in the tank and fire at the guys coming at you at the same time, not matter how much you practice. As for the people who say the graphics look dated, they really don't. Considering your in an environment where you can see hundreds of bugs from over a few miles away, where every building is destructible and the AI is actually fighting instead of standing around waiting for its turned to be killed, it's really amazing for a budget title. And the 2d pick-ups are spose to be like that. It's an arcadish game.

One annoying aspect of the game is the explosions from the giant robots. They are really amazing to watch, and are some of the prettiest explosions of any game to date, they are a real pain in the ass if you are less then 500 feet away from it. You won't be able to see anything until the explosion clears, all the while bugs and robots may be ripping you apart as you blindly run into a wall.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I had this in my hand earlier at EB, but I decided that I'd hold off on picking it up until I finish Lost Planet.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I had this in my hand earlier at EB, but I decided that I'd hold off on picking it up until I finish Lost Planet.

Watch this game instantly become mega rare.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Watch this game instantly become mega rare.

I actually was thinking that, but I'm pretty confident I'll be able to pick it up in a week or whatever. There's also a chance I'll give in and pick it up like tomorrow though. I dunno, I'm just bad with buying a ton of new games while I'm still playing a few then I get sidetracked and don't finish any.

bruin on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anyone have any words on Global Defense force for the PS2? Gamespy says it's better than the 360 one.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Anyone have any words on Global Defense force for the PS2? Gamespy says it's better than the 360 one.

What, did they release one here in the US? Or are they talking about previous games in the series?

Aoi on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    commercials for this game show me that the developers really shouldve focused on the main character a bit more. His design and animations bore the hell out of me. Im sure the game could be lots of fun, and the scale is impressive enough to make one look past last gen graphics, but the main character makes me not want to touch this game.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This thread doesn't have enough screens.

Spoilered because there are many -
    1174410083.jpg
    1174409655.jpg
    1174409658.jpg
    1174407879.jpg
    1173121352.jpg
    1173121353.jpg
    1170377443.jpg
    1170377151.jpg
    1165880903.jpg
    1165880901.jpg

bruin on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Fry's ad lists EDF2017 at $34.99. Buy it now!

FreddyD on
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game looks ridiculously awesome. Looks like I just lost another 40 bucks.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aoi wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »

What, did they release one here in the US? Or are they talking about previous games in the series?

Previous game, Japan/Europe only.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game is fantastic. I'm a sucker for movies that feature creatures that are much larger than their supposed to, and this is just as good if not better. There's nothing like firing a grenade and watching the explosion send two giant ants flying 20 feet in opposite directions. I love the ridiculous scale of everything with these utterly gigantic things looming over you, its also greatly enjoyable how buildings go down from a single projectile as it increases the carnage you can cause 100 fold.

Its a little dated looking and your character moves as if he's in desperate need of hip surgery, but its ludicrously fun. It does remind me of Lost Planet in some ways, just with a comparatively minuscule budget.

At 40 bones this is a must have, it has an extremely high fun to dollar ratio.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This thread doesn't have enough screens.

Spoilered because there are many -
    1174410083.jpg
    1174409655.jpg
    1174409658.jpg
    1174407879.jpg
    1173121352.jpg
    1173121353.jpg
    1170377443.jpg
    1170377151.jpg
    1165880903.jpg
    1165880901.jpg
    Added a couple of those to the OP.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can't bring myself to buy this, but I know in the back of my mind it's going to become impossible to find. Eh, I'm bound to find it sooner or later.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    this does look neat, but is it in any way connected to the snes origional?

LewieP on
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I picked it up and I'm about 10 stages in. Amazingly fun game. It starts ramping up in difficulty pretty fast once those giant robots start showing up.

Hopefully my roommate will get here soon so we can hit this crap up two player.

And no, the SNES game is unrelated to this.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is totally the game I was hoping Bullet Witch was, it's mindless action. Yeah it looks like crap but the game play is there and it's fun when you are in the mood to just blow tons of crap up. I have to give this one my stamp of approval and say it's a testament to the ideology that game play matters more than graphics.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh God, I went to a TRU and a Best Buy tonight and neither had the game. I know this isn't the kind of thing that usually gets sizable shipments, but it can't be selling out already, can it?

I continue the hunt tomorrow.

bruin on