As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Earth Defense Force 2017: Happy Birthday Thread, 1 Year

• Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How does this game look bad? What exactly are you comparing it to?

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Neva wrote: »

It looks fine, the graphics are completely acceptable, but it's clearly a low-budget game and below par for graphics on 360.

bruin on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game is tons of fun. Sending hordes of gigantic bugs flying is a supremely fun experience.

Is it cheesy? Yes
    Could it do with some polish? Yes
    Is it worth every bit of money I paid for it? Yes

I just wish someone like say Insomniac would get in on this sort of game. I would love to fight hordes of bugs with the kinds of weapons those guys would dream up.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Neva wrote: »

It looks fine, the graphics are completely acceptable, but it's clearly a low-budget game and below par for graphics on 360.

Crackdown and Oblivion are the only other 360 games that I can think of that have anywhere close to the same view distance as EDF, and Crackdown is the only one that can see action at a distance. Also add that EFD has hundreds of giant monsters attacking individual targets, and 10+ humans running around shooting what ever they can, then add that every building can be blown up and explosions are going off everywhere. Even after that, it looks better then most 360 games. What makes it stand out has a budget game is the horrible clipping, not the graphics.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh God, I went to a TRU and a Best Buy tonight and neither had the game. I know this isn't the kind of thing that usually gets sizable shipments, but it can't be selling out already, can it?

I continue the hunt tomorrow.

Went to an FYE and they didn't have it, then I got the last copy at a Gamestop. If you want this game, I'd go pick it up now, it seems rare around here at least already. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I'll post impressions later.

Also, I was at another Gamestop later in the day and saw one of the employees talking with a customer at the 360 game rack. They were talking about GRAW 2 and Saints Row and whatever then the employee said "you want a really bad game? Check this out" and showed him EDF2017. They laughed about the graphics and the budget price and the giant ants on the back of the box. I didn't say anything, but it made me :x .

bruin on
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When I picked up my copy at EB none of the reps had even heard of it. I had to make them search the computer to find the thing because they didn't believe it existed.

On top of that they only had 1 copy.

Fun stuff.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh God, I went to a TRU and a Best Buy tonight and neither had the game. I know this isn't the kind of thing that usually gets sizable shipments, but it can't be selling out already, can it?

I continue the hunt tomorrow.

Went to an FYE and they didn't have it, then I got the last copy at a Gamestop. If you want this game, I'd go pick it up now, it seems rare around here at least already. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I'll post impressions later.

Also, I was at another Gamestop later in the day and saw one of the employees talking with a customer at the 360 game rack. They were talking about GRAW 2 and Saints Row and whatever then the employee said "you want a really bad game? Check this out" and showed him EDF2017. They laughed about the graphics and the budget price and the giant ants on the back of the box. I didn't say anything, but it made me :x .
    You should have kicked them in the junk.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Holy shit! I just saw the trailers they have in gametrailer - the game looks like a total blast.

So how does it feel to play as the tiny infantry who shoots tiny pellets to Godzillas and other nasty giant monsters?

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Arde wrote: »
    Holy shit! I just saw the trailers they have in gametrailer - the game looks like a total blast.

So how does it feel to play as the tiny infantry who shoots tiny pellets to Godzillas and other nasty giant monsters?
    More like a tiny infantry who shoots tiny pellets at Godzilla that happen to be high impact high velocity shells and can clear out city blocks. You are a walking noisy cricket.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am sorely etmpted to get Global Defence Force for the PS2, now.
    Yes, poorer graphics, but one of the playable characters can fly.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just finished playing through the game this morning at like 3 AM.

Most. Epic. Game. EVAR.

Buy it now or you are a communist terrorist child rapist that should die in a fire. Lack of a 360 is not an acceptable excuse.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »

Flying is for pansies. Real men don't need to fly. ;)

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Played a couple hours of single player and co-op tonight.

EDF2017 has:

Shitty animation
    Mediocre graphics at best, technically
    Clipping problems
    Unstable framerate
    Voice acting that makes me want to die
    Terrible story and cutscenes
    Some Engrish
    Bad vehicle controls

All that being said, it's is a fabulous game that everyone with a 360 should buy. It's exhilerating, beautiful, and most important of all, extremely fun. Getting a couple new guns (there's over 150 overall, awesome) after each level (over 50 overall, awesome), the new enemies every few levels, the changing environments that are all sweet, and the co-op keep it fresh, and really, just fucking blowing up robots and giant insect feels great. It also has 6(?) difficult levels, and I can't even imagine how long it would take to get all the achievments.

tl;dr - Buy The Earth Defense Force 2017 or die.

bruin on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »

Flying is for pansies. Real men don't need to fly. ;)

But it's far more fun when they do.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The Air Tortoise 02 is one of the most ridiculous guns I've ever seen in a game. The missile moves slower than you can run, but then BOOM. I hope there's an 03 and up.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The Air Tortoise 02 is one of the most ridiculous guns I've ever seen in a game. The missile moves slower than you can run, but then BOOM. I hope there's an 03 and up.

I love that gun too, but unless you are on a flat surface with no buildings near you, you are most likely going to kill yourself. Maybe its just me, but instead of going towards the target I aim it, it will often try to go after a monster thats below me on a hill, or on the other side of a near by building.

Neva on

• Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The screenshots reminds me of a low-rent Lost Planet...and yet everyone here seems to be going wild for it, so I have to ask:

How do the two compare?

(side note: Lost Planet didn't really stick with me as long as I had hoped it might)

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    squidgeesquidgee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FireWeasel wrote: »
    The screenshots reminds me of a low-rent Lost Planet...and yet everyone here seems to be going wild for it, so I have to ask:

How do the two compare?

(side note: Lost Planet didn't really stick with me as long as I had hoped it might)

It's a low rent Lost Planet with TWICE THE FIREPOWER AND FIVE TIMES THE ENEMIES AND TWICE THE DESTRUCTION AND HALF OF THE WALKING AROUND AND OH GOD BUY IT NOWWWWW.

That is how they compare.

squidgee on
    squidgee.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

How do the two compare?

I'm actually playing both side by side right now, and am in the process of writing a piece for the site I write for (see sig) about the contrast between the 360 third person shooter with a 20 million dollar budget, and the one with one clearly much, much lower. All I'd say right now is that Lost Planet is not any more fun to play than EDF2017. I think they're both awesome and worth buying though. EDF is a no-brainer at $40.

bruin on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    squidgee wrote: »

How do the two compare?

It's a low rent Lost Planet with TWICE THE FIREPOWER AND FIVE TIMES THE ENEMIES AND TWICE THE DESTRUCTION AND HALF OF THE WALKING AROUND AND OH GOD BUY IT NOWWWWW.

That is how they compare.

To clarify, imagine you're in the first Starship Troopers movie, facing down a thousand bugs with nothing to back you up but a squad of battle hardened troopers. That's pretty much how the game starts out. From there the game starts to add in all sorts of insanity. From giant robots with guns so fucking large that they can destroy entire city blocks to fucking Godzilla rip-offs with giant honking lasers attached to their backs that can take out entire armies if you let them, you'll pretty much be in combat from start to finish in this game.

The game puts you in cities that are entirely destructable. We're talking everything from the buildings, to cars, to fences, to hell, even the stairs and trees. One moment you and a squad can be ducking inbetween alleys, firing at enemies that are crawling down the tops of the buildings at you, and the next a plasma salvo could level the entire area causing you and your squad to scramble over the top of the ruins of the buildings while firing entire clips into the oncoming swarm of enemies.

Some of the other levels are pretty good too. The underground, beach, and mountain levels are pretty fantastic. The first time you encounter the Hektors (The giant robots.) your jaw will probably drop at how epic the entire scene is. It's basically D-Day only with giant robots attacking instead of the allies.

Archonex on
  • Options
    ZetaZeta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I bought this game on a whim.

No regrets.

Zeta on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, i'll be grabbing this game at first oppertunity now, despite my finances being kinda fucked at the moment. Too awesome to pass up, and while people say it's got "Dreamcast graphics", fuck I LOVE the dreamcast! :D

Polago on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    PolaGo wrote: »
    Well, i'll be grabbing this game at first oppertunity now, despite my finances being kinda fucked at the moment. Too awesome to pass up, and while people say it's got "Dreamcast graphics", fuck I LOVE the dreamcast! :D
    I'm sorry but those people are retarded. The game is downright impressive in certain respects.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    squidgeesquidgee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    PolaGo wrote: »

Anyone who says that hasn't actually played it. I thought it had DC level graphics from watching videos and looking at screenshots too. Then I bought it, and it actually looks pretty nice (not great, but nice).

squidgee on
    squidgee.png
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game is great. I cant wait to try out the co-op. It reminds me of Battletanx on N64 with the destruction of buildings everywhere and slew of enemies. The graphics are great and the game looks quite long as far as number of levels and unlockable weapons go.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This game is great. I cant wait to try out the co-op. It reminds me of Battletanx on N64 with the destruction of buildings everywhere and slew of enemies. The graphics are great and the game looks quite long as far as number of levels and unlockable weapons go.
    I played the first few levels on Co-op with a date and it was really fucking fun.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I played the first few levels on Co-op with a date and it was really fucking fun.

Good to hear it :) I'm glad this game hasn't gotten rid of same machine co-op like a few other recent games have. I understand co-op in games on the 360 is very hard to do, but damn there is nothing better than slaying giant ants with some buds.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You know how you'll switch over to, say, the Sci-Fi channel and some movie is just starting and it has a wacky title and the first thing you see is someone being killed by a some stupid-looking monster/giant insect/overgrown animal and you want to change the channel but you don't and instead you laugh at the bad acting and yell with glee when people are picked off by the film's mutant antagonist and you have a really great time?

That's Earth Defense Force 2017, and that was also the longest and worst sentence I have ever written but I don't care because I love this game.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Good to hear it :) I'm glad this game hasn't gotten rid of same machine co-op like a few other recent games have. I understand co-op in games on the 360 is very hard to do, but damn there is nothing better than slaying giant ants with some buds.
    Well the thing is that you can only carry 2 weapons at a time. With two players that's 4 and you can really complement eachothers loadouts well if you're smart about what you pick.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, I have 15 dollars.

Can anyone lone me 35? I'll pay you back.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    So, I have 15 dollars.

I can't loan you 35 bucks, but you could suck it out of me.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This game constantly reminds me of why I love video games. I think it's the constant explosions.

bruin on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm glad this game is so awesome, as it proves yet again that graphics don't really mean shit in the end. Even the people saying the graphics need serious tightening on level 3 are loving it, and that makes me very happy.

Gonna try to grab this tonight or perhaps from fry's tomorrow.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Shibbi BibbiShibbi Bibbi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm so tempted to make this my next purchase, it looks FUN. Microsoft just sent out my repaired 360 and it should arrive in 2-5 days. This and SOTN will make me happy in the pants.

Shibbi Bibbi on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    So, I have 15 dollars.

I can't loan you 35 bucks, but you could suck it out of me.
    *sigh*Where's the hole?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    A friend and I just took out some giant robots. Co-op is such a blast in this game. What a steal at 40 bucks. I'm having much more fun with this than any other 360 game this year.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Couldn't find it at Blockbuster. *Sigh* I hope I do find it some day.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There's a whole bunch at the Best Buy near here, last I checked. Maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow...

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wow, the level where the huge robots get the
    GIANT FUCKING PLASMA CANNONS
    was awesome. I took them out with a mech, the only vehicle that I think controls alright. The tank isn't that bad either actually, I only really hate the helicopter.

I'm only at level 22 or something out of 53, I can't wait to see how insane it gets by the end.

bruin on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just got back from my buddies house after renting this and I must say that you'd be a fool not to ATLEAST rent this game, its a BLAST.

PRO:
    CO-OP!!!
    -Tons of Enemies
    -Those enemies are HUGE!
    -Tons of guns to unlock
    -Explosions are the most satisfying I have ever encounter in any game ever, you'll know why when you --down 3 giant robots with a Goliath Rocket Launcher
    -Feels like you are in a cheesey sci-fi film where anything can happen

CONS
    -Don't even bother using the vehicles in this game, just don't...
    -Hard, well we were playing on one of the most difficult settings so that probably explains it, if you want to be a total wuss you can play on normal or easier, but than the game won't last aslong, we spent nearly 4-5hours to get about 7% of the game done :O
    -170 available weapons in this game, you can only hold two at a time? I smell Guild Wars syndrome.
    -I can see single player being extremely repetative, but if you got chips and a second controller and a friend who likes to shoot robots (who doesn't) than you can probably go for hours on end

Warning
    You have a team with decent AI following you around to attack and more importantly soak hits off of you, BUT keep this in mind because it is very important, they also SPEAK and they ALL like to, they will always be talking. And when I say ALL, I eman all of them, sometimes 4 different guys will be saying 4 different things at once.
    One will be chanting your terrible team slogan 'EDF EDF EDF'
    Another will ask for backup
    A third will be boasting about his killing prowess
    A fourth will be screaming as he dies
    than you have your HQ filling you in on the situation telling you what your next objective is
    Now mix that all together and youll have a clusterfuck of annoyance coming outta your speakers

In Conclusion: RENT IT!

Franko on