As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadowrun updates

Kerbob97Kerbob97 Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
First off - No it is not totally true to the PnP game.

But it is fun as hell. I totally play FPS with a different strategy now. There are a ton of combinations available, not to mention to win, you have to learn to play as a team. If there is any interest, I will post some stuff from the beta site, and some screenshots and such.

The Team Fortress 2 conversation made me realize that Shadowrun is really closer to that than the Counterstrike comparisons that have been thrown around. You really have to figure out a char type and a load out for that character that fits your style. Once you do that the game is a blast.

***Achievements added***
Shadowrun Achievements

New footage
G4 Footage
Click on the Shadowrun Link - looks much nicer than the beta!

Kerbob97 on

• Options
    FallFall Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    June? Where'd you get this date?

Fall on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I didn't say June XX, I said month "June"
    and damn but I am going through withdrawl pangs. I keep trying to teleport through walls and calling for a tree. :(

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So. Shadowrun. Sorry for lack of inference in the other thread. :P

While I'd have preferred that this were an RPG/Action RPG, or at least named differently, it does by all accounts look promising. Retail purchase level of interesting I'm not sure of, but when the MP demo comes I'll be on it darn fast indeed.

Anything that differentiates it further from CS is welcome, too.

Suriko on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    While I'd have preferred that this were an RPG/Action RPG, or at least named differently, it does by all accounts look promising. Retail purchase level of interesting I'm not sure of, but when the MP demo comes I'll be on it darn fast indeed.

Lots of people feel this way. But, look at it this way...

If this game is a hit and people like the setting, you can expect to see more games using the license on the way. If anything, fans of Shadowrun should really be supportive of this project or else nobody is going to gamble on the franchise again.

So let's hope for the best! Shadowrun on the Genesis was simply awesome.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Now that I have played the beta Shadowrun =/= Counterstrike.
    Cs= same thing over and over and over and over and over and o....

Shadowrun reminds me of the really good days of Team Fortress.
    TFC=Shadowrun
    Rocket jump= teleport or glider but oh so much better.
    classes with distinct advantages= yes please
    unique fast gameplay
    turret = summon/strangle
    medic med station= tree of life
    spy insta kill = katana w telport
    scout speed= wired reflexes
    heavy weapon guy = troll (but damn if the troll isn't more fun)
    sniper = sniper or rifle with enhanced vision
    but it is much better in my opinion.

Plus from everything I have heard competitive PC and consolers are pretty much equal.

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So it plays like Team Fortress?

I'm jazzed.

Hewn on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This does seem cool. Officially it seems it will be shipping as early as May twenty-ninth.

Not an RPG what a tragedy etc. Hopefully this does well enough that a true cyberpunk RPG is made again.

The gliding seems pretty cool. I was very skeptical of this game since I tend to dislike most games designed from the ground up to be an "FPS" (especially an online one) but this seems more interesting the more I see of it.

I wonder if wire reflexes will function as they do in the RPG or if they'll just let you move faster. I missed it if there's any footage showing this.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really want to buy this but if only has 9 maps and its Multiplayer only like 1up has said, unless its $40 its not getting my cash

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I was playing the beta, which definitely had its share of problems.

At first, I was really upset that there was no Storyline. But then I started playing the game. There is definitely a learning curve, but once you determine which character is the best fit for you, and the appropriate loadout for your style. The game rocks!

I started off as an elf, (similar to a scout- fast, self healing, skinny and tall) they can use any weapon but they take performance hits for the heavier stuff. Great for rushing in and snagging the flag, but still a capable head to head character.

Then I switched to the dwarf. (reminds me of the demo guy) Was not my cup of tea, but in the right hands deadly.

Then I tried human. Great all around character. Again in the right hands - deadly.

Finally, I tried the big, slow troll. And fell in love! When you get the right loadout down you are virtually unstoppable one on one and can take on 2-3 other characters at a time. And when you get the minigun sped up and firing. *shiver* :twisted: "heeeeeeeerrrree little elfies, I have a present for you!"

damn. I can not wait. I honestly would trade my halo3 beta for some more time playing Shadowrun.

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Bloody - I played this for the past 2-3 months almost every night with 2 maps on a rough beta for HOURS. I am seriously going through withdrawal waiting for the retail or demo.
    You have to totally change your gameplay style to succeed in this game. New thoughts, strategies etc.
    Plus teamwork is an absolute must!

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, I sort of want this game more and more each week.

If it's reasonably priced, I'll pick it up.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kerbob97 wrote: »
    Bloody - I played this for the past 2-3 months almost every night with 2 maps on a rough beta for HOURS. I am seriously going through withdrawal waiting for the retail or demo.
    You have to totally change your gameplay style to succeed in this game. New thoughts, strategies etc.
    Plus teamwork is an absolute must!

Oh Im not debating the quality or playtime of these maps.

but I cant justify 70$ Canadian for 9 maps and Multiplayer only.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Personally it seems like something I'll only be experiencing via the demo until it gets cheaper. These days if it doesn't have Atlus or SNK on the cover I probably won't have time to invest in it.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Here's the thing about the whole "it's not an RPG!" thing in my book.

MacHalo
    changed to :
    Halo "Not 3rd person" horrors!
    and then:
    Halo2 "Arbiter? Big Monkeys! WTF?"
    and then:
    Halo RTS "Who what now?"
    and:
    Halo3 "shield balls and more apes??"

Halo was an unknown back in 99. It has changed and grown and now it is one of the biggest names and powers in the industry.

I went into a gaming shop the other day and asked about Shadowrun and if they had any pnp games. The young kids were all O_o and finally the manger (mid 30s) said "Nope - D&D, Warhammer 40k, and LOTR"

Give this thing an honest unbiased shot and you should be pleasantly suprised.

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Give this thing an honest unbiased shot and you should be pleasantly suprised.

Pretty much what I intend to do. I'll be darned if I'm going to let a title make me miss out on a fun game.

Come to think of it, a Splinter-Cell-esque SR FPS would be rather neat. You could even have other runners in the game, with the ability to take control of their senses to get an idea of what they're doing and remotely send commands.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I think this game will be good for the brand. Assuming it's good. And you're saying it's good, so, alright. All is well!

Hewn on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Suriko- at first I didn't like the uhhh "deadtalk" feature. But it definitley grows on you.
    Basically it's similar to what you are talking about, when dead you can ghost behind the living with a third person view that you have control over. You can then give them info and watch their backs as it were.

At first I thought "Cheater!" but then it's kind of cool: everyone yells watch out behind you! and the player is looking around trying to figure out wtf!!?!? Keeps you involved in the game while you are waiting for the next level. Plus it helps for the rez feature too.

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Suriko- at first I didn't like the uhhh "deadtalk" feature. But it definitley grows on you.
    Basically it's similar to what you are talking about, when dead you can ghost behind the living with a third person view that you have control over. You can then give them info and watch their backs as it were.

At first I thought "Cheater!" but then it's kind of cool: everyone yells watch out behind you! and the player is looking around trying to figure out wtf!!?!? Keeps you involved in the game while you are waiting for the next level. Plus it helps for the rez feature too.

Hey that's pretty neat. Great way to cut down on the boring time between being killed and respawning.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I am also looking forward to the changes they made from the beta version to the retail.
    One of the coolest potential features to me is Summon.
    Basically you summon a demon to either guard an area, or to attack a target.
    It wasn't perfect in the beta, but from what I understand it is much better now. I have seen a summoned tear through a team that wasn't playing together. Took out 2 elves and a troll. Started with an elf and while it was pounding on the elf, the troll and other elf came out to help with the flag. They are all shooting at the summon and hitting each other. The summon finished the elf, killed the troll, and the elf just started running for it. The summon took off after the elf and beat the bejeezus out of it. Meanwhile, I am narrating this to the rest of the team while hiding next to a tree of life regaining health from near death.
    In final the summon should be a force to be reckoned with.

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is the damage system closer to CS or TFT?
    (That is; do you die before even knowing who shot you?) No news on demo-date?

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, can I suit up with some move-by-wire and smartlinks? Because I'd be ok with that.

edit: Or to rephrase the question less specifically, how much is there in the way of cyber/bioware options? Are there phys-ads and their abilities as well? What about magic?

I mean, I know there's races, but beyond that, I have no fucking clue how much of the games character creation stuff is in the game.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    magic options - tree of life(healing), Rez, summon, smoke, teleport, gust, strangle vine,
    tech options - smartlink (extra scope, id targets, no friendly fire), enhanced vision, wired reflexes, antimagic generators, glider
    weapons - pistol (think Halo1 - no scope unless you have smart link, but used correctly... :twisted:)
    SMG, rifle, shotgun, katana, minigun, sniper rifle, rocket launcher

so far as I know no character look customization, but you have an insane amount of flexibility btw your choices of tech, magic, race, and weapons.

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Jello - for the most part unless sniped, rocketed, or katana'd (from behind) you can tell where you are getting shot from and respond.

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really want to buy this but if only has 9 maps and its Multiplayer only like 1up has said, unless its $40 its not getting my cash

I'm hoping since it's a Microsoft developed developed title it'll be $50 like the rest of them. If not, even I'm going to have a problem justifying $60 for nine maps. That's just a bit much for me to swallow, and I've been one of the big supporters of the game around here.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I've been thinking about the whole MP only thing a lot. What finally made me ok with it?
    I beat Halo2 the first day I had it. Since then I really only played through in coop a few times. Other than that it was allllllllll MP.

So if they spent more time on making the MP tighter, I am really ok with it I think.
    And the thing with the MP maps is that due to teleport they are 100x more complex. I was still figuring out new strategies up until the last day using glider or teleport.

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Aoi wrote: »

I'm hoping since it's a Microsoft developed developed title it'll be $50 like the rest of them. If not, even I'm going to have a problem justifying $60 for nine maps. That's just a bit much for me to swallow, and I've been one of the big supporters of the game around here.
    Well for PC there's no way it will cost over $50, and I wouldn't pay over $40 for it. At $30-$35, I'd almost certainly pick it up; at $40, maybe.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    this game looks pretty saweeeeet, since there isnt too many 360 launches coming early summer This should be pretty awesome for summer funtimes.

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Grarr it's spelled Shadowrun not ShadowRun rabble rabble rabble

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    yes I know but if I say:
    "S is like TFC" vs "SR is like TFC", which makes more sense?

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    That does not change the fact that it's spelled Shadowrun.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Just added the achievements to the original post.

There are some really good looking ones in there. Brother from another Mother? lol

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Just a quick thought...

This game is highly dependant on Teamwork. Occasionally, you can pull off a 1 man win. But when you add in rez, it gets extremely near impossible as you can manage to take a guy out, and his teammate rezzes him and you get wiped pretty easily. I have actually seen some pretty dominating Mob tactics that are pretty impressive.

Basically you rush in with 4-5 elves, and a troll, all equipped with rez and smartlink (can't shoot your teammates) and are pretty much unstoppable. One char goes down, and he pops right back up.
    Shades of zombie fighting almost. scawwy!

At any rate, when team play is so important/required does it make the game unplayable for casual type play?

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not shouting DOOOOOOM if it's not in, but I was reading over the old rulebooks.

Do the metas (elves, dwarfs, trolls) have their natural augmented vision? (Lowlight/nightvision for the skinnies, thermo for Stumpy and Brumby)

And I don't plan on playing this. Mainly because my connection is shitty and unless there's bots available (intelligent ones) I CAN'T play. I will however purchase this game.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    the augmented vision thing is sort of taken care of with the enhanced vision tech. As far as I have seen there are no situations where night/low vision is even needed. However the EV tech really reminds me of a close range thermal vision. Especially when you take in to account that smoke makes it harder/impossible (not sure what final version will be) to be seen using EV.

The bots? Gameplay wise - firefights they are pretty good, they have levels from easy to expert/insane, and you have a pretty well integrated comm system that they actually follow pretty well. When lag was insane, I would play local with bots and it was a tough but fun game.

They will try and block the flag from being scored, but in the beta, they were ... Ok about it, but didn't know all the trick scoring methods. But at the same time, they would score the flag pretty well.

At the same time, there are times I would rather have played with bots than humans when they have no idea about teamwork. At least the bots generally try and rez you.

Also, I think they said the bots were being improved for retail as well. I would say that the bots were better than the PDZ bots.

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    New footage
    G4 Footage
    Click on the Shadowrun Link - looks much nicer than the beta!
    Mayhem, looks fun.

I never played the original Shadowrun (Nor knew about it, forgive me) so I won't have any of the 'OMG, they killed Shadowrun' problems when playing.

I'll rent it first though, if MP turns out to be good/solid I'll buy it.. for Vista or 360, I'll see which version I like the most.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    greedycheesegreedycheese Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

The Shadowrun beta was a blast. I went in with a negitive opinion of the game and all I can say is give it a chance. My relationship with this game was the exact opposite of what it was with Gears. Gears grabbed me hard initially but as I learned it I got frustrated with the lack of depth, the host advantage, and the way games began to feel repetitve. With Shadowrun there is a learning curve but once you learn it the game has almost endless depth. I played 2 maps for 3 or 4 hours a day and if the beta was up now I would be playing it.

The game is often referred to as a FPS with RPG elements but I think it makes more sense to call it an FPS with RTS elements. You have money that you get each round, manage, and collect with kills, ressurects, ect. Then you progress through a sort of tech tree buying upgrades to create your build. Like an RTS alot of the game is weighing building to be effective now or saving resouces for later. Like an RTS you buy all of this stuff and then when the game is over you buy it again. The buying is a huge part of the game. Then you add in the fact that you can give money to teammates and things get really cool. Its awesome when a team picthes in and one or two guys are just super powered in the first round.

A few of my favorite Shadowrun moments:

Porting into a room with 3 guys and proceding to get all nightcrawler on thier ass with quick ports and shotgun blasts. End result two dead by my gun and one dead by friendly fire.

Being chased in a basement by an elf, I run to a dead end, throw a grenade off the wall in front of me as it bounces back at me I teleport through the ceiling and kill the elf.

Step out side and a sniper headshots me. I play as a dwarf and one of their advantages is that headshots only take half my health. I throw a tree and heal up. I call out sniper and someone else spots him for me. When you hit up on your d-pad it calls out what you see to your team automatically. He is in the sniper tower about 200 yards away. I run back out throw a grenade and then use Gust to launch it homemade-genade-launcher-style into his nest. One dead sniper.

greedycheese on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Porting into a room with 3 guys and proceding to get all nightcrawler on thier ass with quick ports and shotgun blasts. End result two dead by my gun and one dead by friendly fire.

Hahaha, that sounds pretty great.

I really want this game.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I heard the PC version is seriously flawed. Has anyone here played the PC beta? Is it really going to be Vista only?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You can pretty much bet on the last part. Like Halo 2, it's MS' attempt to coerce more people into getting Vista.

Glal on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am not liking a lot of those achievements. A lot of them seem to be centered around playing cross-platform and, well, I'm not sure how common PC gamers playing with 360 players is actually going to be considering you have to pay for that.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg