As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Shadowrun- Got Rez?

GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Well. Shadowrun.
It started as a PnP game, but was lovingly turned into an FPS by the lovely team at FASA. It is multiplayer only, but for the first time it can be played cross system with both PC (Vista only, sadly) and 360 users able to play together.
Wikipedia-
Shadowrun is a first-person shooter introducing mild cyberpunk elements to the gameplay. The game takes place in Brazil in the year 2031: before the events that shaped the Shadowrun universe.

The player will choose from two factions to play as, the megacorp RNA Global and the resistance group known as The Lineage. Playable races are Human, Elf, Troll, and Dwarf. Each race has their own racial traits.

Players will purchase magic, tech, and weapons in between each round of play. Magic will include teleportation, resurrection, and a castable tree of life that will slowly heal any players that stand near it, turning into smoke for invulnerability, summoning a monster to do your bidding, casting a field of lethal crystals, and blowing a powerful gust at enemies and objects. Purchasable tech items include enhanced vision, which allows the player to see through walls, a glider, which enables short distance flight, wired reflexes, which greatly increases your physical attributes, anti-magic generators, Smartlink, which gives you greater accuracy and other specific advantages. Weapons include a sniper rifle, SMG, a shotgun, a minigun, a semi auto rifle, a rocket launcher, and a katana for assassinations and ninja style tactics.
In short, it is an amazing game.
Screenshots10.jpg
Out now.
Demo out now.
Gamertag list-
PA Forum Name :: Gamertag
GroovyMr1337::GroovyMr1337
life3::stuffwell
robothero::rob0ther0
BaronVonSnakPak::Baronskatenbass
Tw4win::KobeBlackcat
brynstar::Xander51
Kyougu::Brownchiclets
Vincent Grayson::Vincent Grayson
Bamelin::Bamelin
Spruchy::Spruchy86
Varega::Varega
Trevor Goodchild::Liake
YerMum:: Pugilation
Warder808::Rezin8r
exist::exist347
djklay::djklay
GroovyMr1337::GroovyMr1337
Polago:: Polago
Deamon_Aconis:: PJStelford
Snowbird:: PaShteamRoller
Algertman::Algertman
Aoi::Kirin
Vampire_Goldish::VampireGoldfish
GrimmyTOA::Brittledeer
DevoutlyApathetic::Quippish
BloodyRoarXX:: PABloodyroarXX
Sleep::Sheeeeeeep
ashdragon::ashdrake
Naked Ninja::Implementor
Tw4win::KobeBlackcat
Kyougu::Brownchiclets
Saint Justice::Saint Justice
Nocren::Nocren v2
Shuklak::Mecha Shiva 0
Valdemiro::SIR MO PAIN
krylon666::krylon666
JCRooks::JCRooks
Hlubocky::BrianReturns
Swift::Nexx360
Hypodrmage::Hypo D
PolaGo:: Polago
Danners::UsChickens
Varega::Varega
Xilasrn::blinke
ShankillButcher:SlangButcher
Bigman812::Bigman812
Caedere::TrueCaedere
Mspencer::Michael Spencer
YodaTuna::YodatTuna CTU
WHY::Wakhon
Djiem:: Djiem
*Update*
OtakuD00D
Klyka
BionicPenguin:: RoboPotato
Avoid Spikes :: Shadow Jim
Paradox Control::ChernobylWang
Damion:: Damionitc
The Metromantic:: The Metromantic
Backlash:: Absoludacrous
Cryxx44:: Petriefied
Undead Monkey: : D3ad13
RhettD :: RhettD
Helpless Rock :: Car1gt
The Sneak! :: PA The Sneak
Wulf :: Wulf
plweber :: Ebolaids

PC Info- Vista and an Xbox Live account required to play. Gold to play with 360 people and PC, free silver to just play with other PC.

More info- Trolls with Gliders and miniguns. Come on man!

GroovyMr1337 on

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think I'll pick this up soon.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If the demo's good, I'll be getting it. That, of course, is dependant on when the demo actually does come out.

Suriko on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    If the demo's good, I'll be getting it. That, of course, is dependant on when the demo actually does come out.

June 4th.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hopefully BBV gets this in this week and I can give it a go, I don't think I'll buy it anytime soon, but when it hits 50$ up here in the land of the north I'll think about it.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »

June 4th.

6th actually

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »

June 4th.

6th actually

Go die. You're not supposed to spread correct information on the forums.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ugghh... I didn't know this was coming so soon, and I also didn't know it was a Vista exclusive. I don't think I can justify buying a multiplayer FPS for the 360 over the PC. Can anyone comment on the control differences between the two?

Zek on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Damn I want this game.

Algertman on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Ugghh... I didn't know this was coming so soon, and I also didn't know it was a Vista exclusive. I don't think I can justify buying a multiplayer FPS for the 360 over the PC. Can anyone comment on the control differences between the two?

Well, my guesse it would no different than any other Console vs. PC FPS. though I am interested in that both formats can play togerther

Algertman on
  • Options
    GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The beta testers have commented on the fact that you can't even tell, and it is pretty well balanced. I'd go with the 360 version if I were you. More stable.
    And the Demo comes out June 6th, will edit OP.

GroovyMr1337 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The beta testers have commented on the fact that you can't even tell, and it is pretty well balanced. I'd go with the 360 version if I were you. More stable.
    And the Demo comes out June 6th, will edit OP.

Man if I had Vista I'd be all over the PC version is I was getting it, its cheaper. and I can run it in a higher resolution or at lesat id hope.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well I'm reading AU IGN's hands-on of it and they prefer the 360 hands-down:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/782/782218p1.html
    The final trout slap to the face of PC gamers is the fact that the menu systems are all built around the 360 controller. To select an option you have to use the mouse to click on the green button of a 360 controller that is displayed on screen.
    lol? Please tell me that's not in the final game.

Looks like it's another console game with a PC port. The fact that this keeps happening because of the XBox and 360 doesn't make me too happy but I don't mind console shooters too much. I'll wait for some reviews.

Zek on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

They have an article on the Shadowrun site on the matter.

Yeah, looks like I'm not getting this game. Vista-only can suck my nuts.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well I'm reading AU IGN's hands-on of it and they prefer the 360 hands-down:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/782/782218p1.html
    The final trout slap to the face of PC gamers is the fact that the menu systems are all built around the 360 controller. To select an option you have to use the mouse to click on the green button of a 360 controller that is displayed on screen.
    lol? Please tell me that's not in the final game.

Looks like it's another console game with a PC port. The fact that this keeps happening because of the XBox and 360 doesn't make me too happy but I don't mind console shooters too much. I'll wait for some reviews.

Not so bad IMHO cause I planned on using a 360 controller anyways on the PC

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm really excited for this game. I even picked up the strategy guide so I could learn more about it.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm really excited for this game. I even picked up the strategy guide so I could learn more about it.

Nerd.
    :P

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've gotta find the 50$ to get this next week.

But I will be there. Help kill time 'til H3.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2007
    so uuh... the demo comes out after the game is released?

I'll be picking this up today for xbox.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really think releasing the demo after the main game wasn't the best move.

That said I'll be playing Shadowrun sometime next week when my copy arrives.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    so $50 on pc, $60 for 360, and the shit only works on vista, and this is a multiplayer only game? this better be some motherfucking fun gameplay, those prices seem pretty steep or mp only.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Definitely grabbing this after work. PC or Xbox though, hmmm.

I would say let's post some gamertags, but how does Vista Live work? I can only assume it uses gamertags as well. Can I use my Xbox gamertag with it?

My one question about the actual game: If I am a spectacular judge of distance, can I telefrag people with the teleport skill? PLEASE GOD PLEASE

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2007
    go with the xbox version mang, from everything i've heard, the PC version is basically just a port that pales in comparison.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    We're used to PR folks not setting up demo machines very well, so we snuck a quick look at the game's graphic options. Apart from a gamma slider, it was devoid of anything tinker-able. No detail settings, and from memory, we're pretty sure there wasn't even an option to set the game's resolution. Oh dear. There is a slim possibility that the game's graphics settings are controlled before you start the game, ala IL2 Sturmovik, which came out sometime last decade, but it's not looking good. Could the port from 360 to PC mean that the devs have settled on one group of settings for all users? We really doubt, and hope, not, but what we saw was a little unsettling. As an aside, the specs for the best PC in the room was a Core 2 Duo CPU with an 8800GTX. And it still looked terrible. Gulp.v

From the IGN hands on linked above.

I see how you make 360 and PC play compatible, you make the PC version as shitty as possible!

I think I'll pass, the fact it's vista exclusive is the biggest killer here and I have zero interest in console FPS games (Though my 360 has been awful quiet for a while).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I want to try it, but signs are pointing to it sucks.

First off, no reviews yet. On yesterday's EGM Live, the guys said that they haven't even received a reviewable copy. There's also the thing about FAFSA being dissolved. Why kill the studio? It's obviously not due to sales, at least not yet. Then there's the thing about the demo. If they really wanted to sell this game, that demo would be here already. It seems as if they're hoping people will grab this game on an impulse buy, having not played a demo or read a review. When the demo hits, that will help grab people who still may be interested in the game. A late demo usually means that an early demo would have hurt sales rather than helped them.

I want this game to be good. I've never been in to Shadowrun, so my mind is fresh for the possibilities of a first-person fantasy game.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Gamestop didn't have it today, so I guess I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I love me some *real* Shadowrun, and even if it's not the game I wanted, I don't know if I can complain about teleporting through a wall to cut some fucking elves with a katana.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Gamestop didn't have it today, so I guess I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I love me some *real* Shadowrun, and even if it's not the game I wanted, I don't know if I can complain about teleporting through a wall to cut some fucking elves with a katana.

See? If this game works out, it could be a fresh addition to the console FPS genre. I wanna cut some elves too.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

First off, no reviews yet. On yesterday's EGM Live, the guys said that they haven't even received a reviewable copy. There's also the thing about FAFSA being dissolved. Why kill the studio? It's obviously not due to sales, at least not yet. Then there's the thing about the demo. If they really wanted to sell this game, that demo would be here already. It seems as if they're hoping people will grab this game on an impulse buy, having not played a demo or read a review. When the demo hits, that will help grab people who still may be interested in the game. A late demo usually means that an early demo would have hurt sales rather than helped them.

I want this game to be good. I've never been in to Shadowrun, so my mind is fresh for the possibilities of a first-person fantasy game.

i dont know if this is always the case. the Viva Pinata demo came out months later and was a great game. this game looks pretty fun I'll be picking it up if the demo doesn't suck and people don't kill it on this site.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wait, whats this about FASA Interactive being dissolved? I thought they were already a wholly integrated part of Microsoft Games Studio...

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    Wait, whats this about FASA Interactive being dissolved? I thought they were already a wholly integrated part of Microsoft Games Studio...

I thought so as well...I thought the "real" FASA Interactive was killed off years and years ago.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sonos wrote: »

i dont know if this is always the case. the Viva Pinata demo came out months later and was a great game. this game looks pretty fun I'll be picking it up if the demo doesn't suck and people don't kill it on this site.

I think that's an entirely different situation all together. Pinata didn't sell well at all, and demo was put out months later to try and salvage a few more sales. The Shadowrun demo isn't months later, it's just a week. I seriously think Microsoft is trying to get as many impulse buys on this title as possible. Next week when the demo hits, anyone who actually will like the game will play the demo, find out that they like it, and then go buy it.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Unconfirmed reports say the game was pretty much done, and the whole studio was given the boot, which means likely there will be no content updates and any patches will be handled by people with no working knowledge of the game so slow to come or buggy.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I think that's an entirely different situation all together. Pinata didn't sell well at all, and demo was put out months later to try and salvage a few more sales. The Shadowrun demo isn't months later, it's just a week. I seriously think Microsoft is trying to get as many impulse buys on this title as possible. Next week when the demo hits, anyone who actually will like the game will play the demo, find out that they like it, and then go buy it.

Which was fucking stupid cause if a real demo would of came out before I know many people who would of bought it. They all bought it used at BBV instead.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Unconfirmed reports say the game was pretty much done, and the whole studio was given the boot, which means likely there will be no content updates and any patches will be handled by people with no working knowledge of the game so slow to come or buggy.

Hm. I wonder if this will signal Microsoft losing the license for FASA games.. which I really hope they do.

This might also be MSFT's way of cutting off an RPG Shadowrun at the pass, as FASA interactive always claimed that was their goal.

It's a shame FanPro/InMedia are in the negotiations to change development of the real Shadowrun, for we aren't getting any new product on that angle either. =(

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited May 2007

could be and it's not a bad idea since fps games haven't been pouring out lately. forza 2 and this are the only retail games ive been interested in since febuary to be honest.

the demo did a good job in selling some more copies of pinata. i and three of my friends picked it up right after the demo.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Which was fucking stupid cause if a real demo would of came out before I know many people who would of bought it. They all bought it used at BBV instead.

A little bit off topic, but Pinata was a real marketing fuck up. Microsoft and Rare seemed to have completely different visions for the game. MS marketed the game towards children; things like the cartoon and the colorful plastic packaging really show this.

Now if you've played the game, you know very well that this is NOT a game for children. It's complex and often frustrating, even for an adult with a lot of experience with these kinds of games. The people who would appreciate the game didn't know that this was a game for them at all, and so they didn't buy it. Children couldn't appreciate the complicated game, and it didn't sell to them either (and how many children have a 360?).

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

A little bit off topic, but Pinata was a real marketing fuck up. Microsoft and Rare seemed to have completely different visions for the game. MS marketed the game towards children; things like the cartoon and the colorful plastic packaging really show this.

Now if you've played the game, you know very well that this is NOT a game for children. It's complex and often frustrating, even for an adult with a lot of experience with these kinds of games. The people who would appreciate the game didn't know that this was a game for them at all, and so they didn't buy it. Children couldn't appreciate the complicated game, and it didn't sell to them either (and how many children have a 360?).

well one of the more interesting features of the game is an adult can play with his kid using two controllers. if the kid couldnt handle it an adult can "guide" him by basically playing for him but still giving the tyke a feeling of control. i thought this was really innovative and I for one know two parents who play along with small kids.

i dont think most kids could get everything in the game but most kids are smart enough to sex up the animals and make 'em eat stuff. At 8ish I was playing the original sim city so I don't think this one is too much of a stretch.

woops: on topic. demo yes the troll is funny looking see y'all there is shadowrun

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I realize the demo isn't out for a bit, but wasn't there an open beta earlier that people raved about? I swear there was a thread here about it which many people within proclaimed it was fun as hell. However, this thread currently eludes me! Curses!

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i wanted so badly for there to be a single-player mode. as it is, i'll hafta try the demo and see where it lands me.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So, for those of you who find it today, or have played the beta, I have a few questions:

1. How is the loadout handled? Is it like Tribes, wherein all teams have equal access to their various choices regardless of winning/losing a round? (Say, all team members have $5,000 to spend on stuff every round regardless of whether they win), or is it more like Counterstrike where winning nets you more money to buy more equipment and as such perpetuate the winning?

2. How deadly are the weapons/spells/etc? Again, is it similar to CS where it's fairly easy to squeeze off a lucky headshot and kill a well-armed opponent, or is it more akin to say, Gears of War, where it takes quite a few bullets/shells/fireballs/etc to kill someone?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yea they beta was fun (played it at a friends house) but its not worth 60$, especially when both Warhawk and SOCOM for PS3 are looking at no more then 30$ price points and likely will have more content right off the bat.

bloodyroarxx on