Options

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray

robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
So, high-definition content. I've been googling for image comparisons between plain old DVD and HD/Blu-Ray, and every image is scaled down, so the actual comparison is lost, and then I remembered that HD content is basically just higher-resolution everything and thus looking for visual comparisons online is silly anyway.

Can anybody with HD equipment confirm that it is at least significantly superior to regular DVDs in regards to visual and audio quality? Is HD-DVD or Blu-Ray noticeably inferior/superior to one another? Is anybody else annoyed by the fact that it's essentially another VHS/Betamax war that's only made worse by format-specific releases?

Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
robotbebop on

• Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have Blu-ray with an older Sony Wega that only does 1080i. And I can tell you it's far better than DVD just in color alone.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shouldn't this be in the Subforum?

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yes, it should be... Sorry I didn't see it there.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

• Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, this might be subforum material.

Anecdotal lol, but the last time I was in Best Buy I saw a 54" Plasma playing some movie with a blonde chick and that Adrian Brody dude on Blu-Ray at 1080p, and I thought I was going to shit myself. It looked like little people in a box. I was actually disturbed by how realistic the image was, like my brain could not comprehend that a television screen could be displaying something that looked absolutely real.

Total mindjob.

The main difference between an HD-DVD release and a Blu-Ray release is the quality of the transfer. They both are capable of the same image quality. They'll both do 1080p and they'll both look fantastic.

The only real difference between the two is disc capacity for stuff like special features (where Blu-Ray wins), studio support (where Blu-Ray wins arguably, since Sony Pictures owns half of Hollywood), and the price of the actual player (where HD-DVD pulls ahead in spades).

HD is much more of an issue of your display, moreso than the media you're playing on it.

Einhander on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Whenever I talk about Blu-Ray at work I always mention that once I can get a BR player at a decent price I'll pick one up.

One coworker always pipes up "Just buy a PS3"

Holy fuck when will people realize that $400 isn't exactly cheap.

Edit: That being said, I only like B-R more for the Disney support.

Though that $100 HD player is tempting just because I'd love to see Corpse Bride in HD.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What annoys me about the whole HD/Blu-Ray thing is how half the movies you may want are on one, while half are on the other. Sure, you can get both but my god is it gonna get cluttered.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Exactly. Does anybody know if there was format-exclusivity with VHS vs Betamax?

robotbebop on

• Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    What annoys me about the whole HD/Blu-Ray thing is how half the movies you may want are on one, while half are on the other. Sure, you can get both but my god is it gonna get cluttered.

Dual-format players I think are going to end up being the best option in a couple years once the kinks are ironed out and the price becomes reasonable. Either that, or since most of us already have (or will have in the next couple of years) a PS3 or 360, all you need to do is get the rival player standalone and you won't have to worry so much about clutter.

I understand your frustrations on the clutter front, though. One of the reasons I don't use a standalone DVD player anymore is because I've got like nine goddamned consoles and a stereo surrounding my entertainment center.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think someone posted a while back that you could go to sites like www.amazon.co.uk and other non-American websites and purchase all of your favorite Blu-Ray exclusives on HD-DVD. The exclucivity only pertains to the States.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Read this thread on AVS and look at the pictures. You can see that it is totally dependent on the quality of the transfer as some movies with terrible transfers will barely look better than DVD while some quality transfers look phenomenal. Also on AVS if you look in the Blu-ray and HD-DVD subforum stickies they have threads that rate the quality of transfers. Also audio quality is improved as well, but thats harder to actually show.

While there are difference between the specs for the formats its pretty much irrelevant and it all comes down to finding out which studios produce the films you want to watch the most and then buying a player for that format.

maximumzero: Corpse Bride is available on Blu-ray so I'm a little confused by your comment.

khain on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think someone posted a while back that you could go to sites like www.amazon.co.uk and other non-American websites and purchase all of your favorite Blu-Ray exclusives on HD-DVD. The exclucivity only pertains to the States.

What about regions, though?

Magus` on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

HD-DVDs aren't region locked and you can find a list here, though its not all Blu-rays are available and some of the releases have forced non English audio tracks so you'd have to watch the movie subbed. The link I gave explains a little about it and gives the audio, menus, and subtitles available and what country its from.

I believe Xploited Cinema is a way to order them all from a English site.

khain on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That Sony owns so much of the content I find it increasingly difficult to believe HD-DVD will win.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2007
    Universal owsn far more content than Sony.

And Warner trumps everyone when it comes to modern releases, and they are still platform agnostic.

Also, just because Blu Ray has more room for special features does not mean they use it. HD-DVD has consistently better special features due to the finalized standard, which allows for PIP and other really neat interactive content. BD-J, sony's answer to this, is still largely MIA, and will invalidate many of the non-PS3 players on the market when it hits.

Blu Ray may very well win at some point, though it is nowhere near as locked in as they would lead you to believe... but I really hate the business practices they have used thus far (2x more expensive players with far less features and constant pr LOL WE HAVE WON THE WAR when in actuality the difference in sales between the two formats can be measured in one busy Best Buy store's standard DVD sales).

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    khain wrote: »

HD-DVDs aren't region locked and you can find a list here, though its not all Blu-rays are available and some of the releases have forced non English audio tracks so you'd have to watch the movie subbed. The link I gave explains a little about it and gives the audio, menus, and subtitles available and what country its from.

I believe Xploited Cinema is a way to order them all from a English site.

I know which format I'm supporting. damn that is good news.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2007
    I was going to post this in one of the locked threads...

Blu Ray players in the homes: 10:1 advantage over HD-DVD
    HD Standalones over Blu Ray Standalones: 3:1 advantage over Blu Ray

Film sales?

Two weeks ago, it was 51:49 in favor of Blu... this week it is 55:45 in favor of Blu, with no real exclusive releases for the week. Lifetime to date puts them at 60:40 in favor of blu, or a 3 to 2 advantage.

What this all means is that if HD-DVD can even increase their playerbase to a 1:5 ratio against the console, they could own the market outright.

Paramount / Dreamworks switched camps a couple months back, possibly because they caught wind of the cheap players.

This is not a desperation move; this is clearing out old stock. If they were selling the HD-A3 at this price, i would call it desperation... maybe.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do not forget the CHEAPEST blu-ray player you can now get is $399 PS3 and the cheapest stand alone I am currently aware of is $498.

This makes the UNDER $200 walmart toshiba standalone HD-DVD player, the $200 xbox addon (on sale for $100 with larger installed xbox user base) AND the sale of a stand alone HD-DVD player today at walmart for $98 a HUGE effort to get HD-DVD moving from one of the largest retailers in North America.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    robotbebop wrote: »
    So, high-definition content. I've been googling for image comparisons between plain old DVD and HD/Blu-Ray, and every image is scaled down, so the actual comparison is lost, and then I remembered that HD content is basically just higher-resolution everything and thus looking for visual comparisons online is silly anyway.

Can anybody with HD equipment confirm that it is at least significantly superior to regular DVDs in regards to visual and audio quality? Is HD-DVD or Blu-Ray noticeably inferior/superior to one another? Is anybody else annoyed by the fact that it's essentially another VHS/Betamax war that's only made worse by format-specific releases?
    Try this for the HD image comparison:

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html
    (roll your mouse over each image for the HD version to compare)

I've got both, and it seems HD-DVD has better audio quality (Hot Fuzz!), and Blu-Ray has better video quality (FINAL FANTASY: SPIRITS WITHIN looks amazing like a completely different movie, but Pirates on 1080p looks TOO realistic to the point that it looks like a TV soap opera staged in front of a green screen). HD-DVD wins out on special features though.

As said earlier, the transfer matters the most. Check out the tier thread to see which transfers are the best:

Blu-Ray http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316
    HD-DVD http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=856119

People keep saying Blu-Ray sells more, but everywhere I look, Blu-Ray is on "clearances" and "Buy 2 get 1 Free" sales. I guess they needed that to catch up to HD-DVD.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    NSF56K

The difference is barely noticeable when shrunk down and animated!

MKR on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Almost bought the 100 dollar HD-DVD player today. Walked around the store with it under my arm... then decided to put it back. I just don't want to commit myself to a format that might be dead in a year.

*sigh* stupid format war.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    Think of it this way, if you do buy it, and it does fail (which personally I think things will go the other way), in 30 years you can be like that old guy on your block with the like-new Betamax system.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    Think of it this way, if you do buy it, and it does fail (which personally I think things will go the other way), in 30 years you can be like that old guy on your block with the like-new Betamax system.

and for $100 dollars it's also a pretty good upconverting DVD player , so you win anyway you slice it, that price was to good to pass up, and I didnt.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ... I'm starting to hope that the sale wasn't in Canada too, cause if it were, I'd feel mighty stupid right now.

robotbebop on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    So I went to Wal-Mart today to see if they had it. Took a couple of trips around the electronics department with no luck so eh, no player for me.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    B:L wrote: »

I've got both, and it seems HD-DVD has better audio quality (Hot Fuzz!), and Blu-Ray has better video quality (FINAL FANTASY: SPIRITS WITHIN looks amazing like a completely different movie, but Pirates on 1080p looks TOO realistic to the point that it looks like a TV soap opera staged in front of a green screen). HD-DVD wins out on special features though.

As said earlier, the transfer matters the most. Check out the tier thread to see which transfers are the best:

People keep saying Blu-Ray sells more, but everywhere I look, Blu-Ray is on "clearances" and "Buy 2 get 1 Free" sales. I guess they needed that to catch up to HD-DVD.

Arg, fuck you for making me want to go buy a Blu-Ray player to see Corpse Bride in High Definition even though all I have is a 19" HDTV.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Arg, fuck you for making me want to go buy a Blu-Ray player to see Corpse Bride in High Definition even though all I have is a 19" HDTV.

If you buy a $500 blu ray player to watch shit on a $200 TV you're dumb.

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Well I personally think you're dumb for buying a $500 glorified DVD to player to begin with.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Even though I swore I wouldn't pick a side in the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD battle until there was a clear winner, a $100 HD-DVD player is really tempting.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

get it for HD DVD instead?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Well I personally think you're dumb for buying a $500 glorified DVD to player to begin with.

Who says i bought a blu ray player?

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sold out of the $98 A2 in 15 minutes.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    SmilingoatSmilingoat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    chasm wrote: »
    Sold out of the $98 A2 in 15 minutes.

fuck, i am still going to go look around and see if there is one on the shelf some where. i really hope there is... i just cant see myself paying any more than that, but i now really really want one.

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Personally I'm going to start buying HD movies in both HD-DVD and BluRAY, while I don't have an HDTV, I've personally made the decision that with the release of the HD-DVD and BluRAY combo drives for computers, and because my DVD player IS a Media Center PC I'm simply going to buy one those drives when they drop below $500... Or lower... But I'm going to go ahead and start buying em' up because I'm a sucker for it....

Me personally I support the HD-DVD standard, hence why each mention above puts HD-DVD first, and I currently own a few HD-DVD movies already, but can't watch them.... Its a simple matter for me initially with these because I intend to most likely buy the 360 HDDVD drive when I upgrade my media center PC to be fast enough to support it, and then later on I'll buy the combo drive....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm buying both. I'll have a PS3 at some point, and the titles coming in the Wal-Mart BR promo are going to be really good (either this Friday or next). I don't think either format will "win." The sales numbers simply aren't high enough for there to be a winner.

BTW, When I get to work tomorrow, I'll take a look at the list of BR titles in the $14.96 promo and make a list so you guys know what to expect.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    jlrx wrote: »

and for $100 dollars it's also a pretty good upconverting DVD player , so you win anyway you slice it, that price was to good to pass up, and I didnt.

I have a pretty good upconverting DVD player already.

I seriously hope this format war dies soon so I can make the move to HD for my movies.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    jlrx wrote: »

I have a pretty good upconverting DVD player already.

I seriously hope this format war dies soon so I can make the move to HD for my movies.

the format war cant end until people like you decide to pick a side, go with the side that is giving you the best deal, that player was not just a pretty-good upconverting player (no upconverting restrictions over HDMI btw) but it is capable of HD movies right now today, it comes with 5 free HD-DVD movies, which would run you more than the price of the player, and ofcourse its a damn good deal. the war is over when you pick a side, and not before then.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I jumped on the crazy 360 HDDVD add on deal at Best Buy a little bit ago, and need some help choosing what to get for the 5 free.

I have King Kong (came packaged) and got 300 and Transformers as the two free in store (although I left sad that I didn't get Hot Fuzz. Or Shaun of the Dead :( )

On to the fights!

Category A:
    Babel vs. The Italian Job: I've heard awesome things about Babel, that it's a very well done movie and is all around good. I've seen The Italian Job several times and enjoy it as a light heist movie. I'm leaning toward Babel just to get something new, unless I'm warned that it actually sucks.

Category B:
    The Thing wins

Category C:
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory vs. Full Metal Jacket: Own the non-Hd version of the former (would sell it), never saw the latter. Don't know if I should just wait and get a Kubrick collection instead of getting them all piecemeal.

Category D:
    Firewall vs. The Frighteners: Harrison Ford does kick ass, but I hear the movie was average. Don't really know anything about The Frighteners, but it's one of those movies that I feel like I should know about it.

Category E:
    Black Rain vs. Darkman vs. Troy: Never even heard of the first two, heard Troy is greatly epic, but also really dull. I figure it'd be good as a show off DVD if nothing else, if the general consensus is that the other two choices are even more meh.

And as for the format war, I was a hardcore fencesitter until this deal rolled along. I was going to wait it out, but I realized that all the free movies more than offset the cost of the player, so even if HDDVD does crash and burn, I'm just out the cost of the movies, which would become 'outdated' if I bought them on regual DVD anyway (and it's not like I wouldn't be able to watch them). Plus since Netflix does HD for the same cost, I'm glad I dove in and can enjoy the OMGSHARP LIEK RAZ0R movies on my beautiful Samsung.

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I picked up a PS3 several months ago for gaming (yeah yeah shut up). I just considered the blue ray a bonus. But after watching some Blu-Ray movies I was hooked. On my older 1080i set they blew DVD out of the water. More so with newer titles. But then I noticed there were movies that I could get on HD DVD but not Blu-ray... so I snagged a 360 HD drive for the best of both worlds. Its not a VHS to Anamorphic DVD jump but it was very noticeable.

My only complaint is its been 3 months since I sent off for those 5 free blu-ray movies and I still haven't received them. :( Hopefully I get the HD-DVD's faster. Sent off for those a week ago.

powersurge on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Theoretically the quality levels should be similar. They both use the same video formats as their standards and support the same resolution. However Blu-Ray can hold more information on a disc so technically if they are so inclined they could use a lower level on compression on a Blu-Ray than an HD-DVD. This is probably going ot vary from movie to movie though.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    BR Promo List:

Alexander (unrated final cut)
    Blood Diamond
    Last Samurai
    Swordfish
    Unforgiven
    Underworld
    Fifth Element
    Black Hawk Down
    House of Flying Daggers
    Final Fantasy: Spirits Within
    Resident Evil 2
    Layer Cake
    XXX
    Terminator 2
    Stargate
    Reservoir Dogs
    The Patriot
    Crank
    Night At The Museum
    X-men 3
    Flyboys
    Rocky
    Terminator
    Windtalkers

chasm on
    steam_sig.png