As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Truth Anti-Smoking" ads most insidious thing on television?

FTVFTV Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Am I the only one that notices that in every one of those "Truth anti-smoking" TV ads, despite whatever purportedly accurate statistics are stated, the people speaking out against smoking are portrayed in as negative an emotional light as possible? The first rule of advertising is to appeal to the viewer's emotions instead of their mind and when they're constantly making people against smoking appear rude, obnoxious, and generally like total freaks, one must question the real motives to this long running ad campaign. An ad campaign funded by tobacco companies. Is this a clear conspiracy to promote smoking while pretending to fight it or am I just seeing things?

FTV on

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You're not seeing things, the ads are made to piss you off and annoy. They pass as anti-smoking and thus allows the tobacco companies to fulfill their court order or whatever spawned these.

The advertising firm did a great job at making people immediately tune-off and dismiss the ads. No evidence that this is true but come-on.

I do like the "Magical Amount" one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5WpKBKqvKw

Handkor on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The only one I can remember is the one with the annoying afro guy going into a gun store and trying to compare "lite" cigarettes to non-existent "lite" bullets.

Let's just ignore the whole concept of rubber bullets, though, right?

I guess what really annoys me is horrible analogies.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pretty much all the anti-drug ads out there are pretty ridiculous. My personal favorite is the shakey-cam one where some kid falls over dead because he smoked the devil marihuana.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't remember them being as obnoxious when I was younger. I think they started cropping up around when I was in the eighth grade. It was just the usual,'hey look you know what's in a urinal cake? the same thing that's in a cigarette! It's like you're smoking a urinal cake! omg!' stuff, but done somewhat stylishly for the time.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The one thing that always bothered me was seeing the TV and magazine ads that state "TOBACCO IS WACKO if you're a teen." So...smoking is perfectly fine if you're not a teen. Wait a few more years till you light up, kids.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Pretty much all the anti-drug ads out there are pretty ridiculous. My personal favorite is the shakey-cam one where some kid falls over dead because he smoked the devil marihuana.

The best one I've seen is a kid sitting on a couch describing all of the horrible things that can happen to you and the ways you can die if you go outside, instead of smoking marijuana and being safe.

thanimations on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    America. Land of the free. More or less.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    My favorite is the one where they suggest that smoking pot will condemn you to an ennui-filled life of unfilled living and urban poverty with the power of mad ghetto rhymez.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Glyph wrote: »
    It's obvious that they're trying to make anti-smoking activists look as obnoxious as possible.

It's actually pretty fucking accurate.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Glyph wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TheTruth.com

"The [Truth] campaign is run by the American Legacy Foundation and funded by US tobacco companies under the terms of the Master Settlement Agreement. "

It's obvious that they're trying to make anti-smoking activists look as obnoxious as possible.

It's actually pretty fucking brilliant.

No. No. No.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    1739a.jpg

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'M NOT RITA POON, I'M ROB REINER!

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Spacehog85 wrote: »
    America. Land of the free. More or less.

...What?

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FTVFTV Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Picture+1.png

Here's the kind of thing they have on their site. A conceited cartoon vomiting some "truth" in the form of drippy hearts. Yeah, this doesn't reinforce the idea that anti-smoking activists are dicks (not that that isn't true). That thing is probably supposed to be an actual dick.

FTV on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know about insidious. It's not like anti-drug ads in general have gotten any worse than Reefer Madness, and frankly the absurdity of them is costing them support left and right. A lot of people who hate pot-heads with the burning rage of a thousand suns hate the anti-drug commercials just as much.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm partial to the anti-drug adverts from the nineteenth century. That was a simpler time where getting opium and cocaine banned was as simple as saying that they're used by Chinese and blacks, respectively.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know about insidious. It's not like anti-drug ads in general have gotten any worse than Reefer Madness, and frankly the absurdity of them is costing them support left and right. A lot of people who hate pot-heads with the burning rage of a thousand suns hate the anti-drug commercials just as much.

Reefer Madness wasn't an anti-drug ad. It was just an exploitation film.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

And have the anti-drug ads gotten any worse than it?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

And have the anti-drug ads gotten any worse than it?
    Yes.
    http://www.ducktexas.com/

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm not sure how a poorly-drawn cartoon duck saying "tobacco is bad" is worse than illustrating that if you try pot you're probably going to get shot in the chest or something.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm not sure how a poorly-drawn cartoon duck saying "tobacco is bad" is worse than illustrating that if you try pot you're probably going to get shot in the chest or something.

Listening to a poorly-drawn duck "sing" feels like getting shot in the chest.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Listening to a poorly-drawn duck "sing" feels like getting shot in the chest.

Yeah but I'm not sure what's actually harmful about that except that it's annoying. And so you turn it off. Because it also lacks any significant penetration.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I always jokingly said back in high school I would start smoking just to spite these ads. During their campaign life, I have started and quit.

My favorite one to pick in the the Above the Influence ones (characterized by the little cartoon dog raising a flag with its own face drawn on it high on a flag pole. Fucking arrogant doggie prick.) Anyway, the best thing about is they're all, "Hey, people try to get you to do drugs. Be above the influence and don't do what people tell you to do. Do what WE tell you to do instead."

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    JengoJengo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I forget if it's a Truth ad or not but the one where the guy in a cowboy hat who has to use that machine to talk and sings that country sounding song:

"You don't always die from tobacco, sometimes you just lose a lung"

I love that ad. The song is catchy and he sings better with that machine then I do normally. So I give the other Truth ads a pass just because of that that one.

Jengo on
    3DS FC: 1977-1274-3558 Pokemon X ingame name: S3xy Vexy
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can say for sure those ads made me want to start smoking just because they were so fucking annoying and pretentious.

"Oh look we're hip young people fighting 'da Tobacco Industry' let's go make hip trendy protests about it!"

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Above the influence is anti-drug. They're different than the truth ads.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Church wrote: »
    I'm partial to the anti-drug adverts from the nineteenth century. That was a simpler time where getting opium and cocaine banned was as simple as saying that they're used by Chinese and blacks, respectively.

"All Mexicans are crazy, and it's this stuff* that makes them crazy."

*marijuana

TL DR on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What pisses me off is that all anti-drug commercials focus on marijuana. Who the fuck cares about marijuana? I have friends with serious coke and heroin problems, but you never see any anti-coke or anti-heroin commercials. You wouldn't even have to make shit up, like you do for anti-weed commercials!

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What pisses me off is that all anti-drug commercials focus on marijuana. Who the fuck cares about marijuana? I have friends with serious coke and heroin problems, but you never see any anti-coke or anti-heroin commercials. You wouldn't even have to make shit up, like you do for anti-weed commercials!

Speaking of which the whole "Marijuana helps fund terrorism" was good for a laugh as was the "If you use marijuana you'll find your dad's unlocked and loaded gun and shoot your friend with it but don't blame the dad for lack of proper gun safety blame the blunt!"

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited February 2008

What about those really disturbing anti-meth adverts? One I remember was "My girlfriend would do anything for me. So I made her sell her body."

Yeah. If I was an impressionable young'ne that would have just impressionabled me to stay the fuck away from meth.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    I can say for sure those ads made me want to start smoking just because they were so fucking annoying and pretentious.

"Oh look we're hip young people fighting 'da Tobacco Industry' let's go make hip trendy protests about it!"
    And that is exactly the point of the adds. So then you don't smoke. But, you realize that. You realize you are just playing into there hands. So you do smoke. But, you see, that's what they want you to do.

12 days later you're in an asylum and think that you are an orange.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

What about those really disturbing anti-meth adverts? One I remember was "My girlfriend would do anything for me. So I made her sell her body."

Yeah. If I was an impressionable young'ne that would have just impressionabled me to stay the fuck away from meth.

The anti-meth ads are the best. I remember on when you watch some girls face just ... decompose in from a mirror as she talked about doing meth. I mean like black blood poured out of her mouth.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »

The anti-meth ads are the best. I remember on when you watch some girls face just ... decompose in from a mirror as she talked about doing meth. I mean like black blood poured out of her mouth.
    I remember one which is basically a 911 call where the meth heads have no idea where they are, and they were found the next morning, frozen to death.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man all they would have to do to scare kids of meth is show before and after pictures of meth addicts, and the start and a few years in to their addiction.

Cause, god damn

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

Come on out West and meet our Anti-Meth ads!

Example: http://www.montanameth.org/View_Ads/index.php

Huge and gross ad aimed at teens

The only ad I've seen about smoking that I didn't think was retarded is an old guy with a gravelly voice talking to the camera. He says some stuff about how his wife kept telling him to quit, and he would tell her "It's my life I'll do what I want with it." Then he says his wife died of lung cancer. "My wife...was my life. My wife was my life."

Simply put human stories like that are more powerful than stacking up mannequin bodies in front of tobacco HQ or other outrageous stuff like that.

Medopine on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    The one that pisses me off the most is the one w/ the animated girl who ends the commercial by asking why "she doesn't ask any of them to do it." It makes me want to jump through the TV and yell "because she's your friend, you bitch."

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Has anyone seen the anti-marijuana ad with the jackass and the mirror, and the other jackass with too much eye makeup on?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    The one that pisses me off the most is the one w/ the animated girl who ends the commercial by asking why "she doesn't ask any of them to do it." It makes me want to jump through the TV and yell "because she's your friend, you bitch."

Seriously. Why would I ask you in particular to smoke instead of some random street-corner junkie? Maybe because I like you and want to hang out with you, maybe it's less about the drugs than about the people, maybe smoking pot doesn't make me a crack-head.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

The only ad I've seen about smoking that I didn't think was retarded is an old guy with a gravelly voice talking to the camera. He says some stuff about how his wife kept telling him to quit, and he would tell her "It's my life I'll do what I want with it." Then he says his wife died of lung cancer. "My wife...was my life. My wife was my life."

Simply put human stories like that are more powerful than stacking up mannequin bodies in front of tobacco HQ or other outrageous stuff like that.

The one about the man's wife who died from the second hand smoke always made me have to leave the room.

That and my own family's addiction steers me away from it. It used to be just the parents, but now my sister's gotten her hands on them and despite my warnings she continues to smoke. At the very least I'm not going to start myself.

Rear Admiral Choco on