As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dorf Fortress "Toady One has created a masterpiece"

wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
OP shameless stolen from Mayday's other thread. I will write an original OP eventually.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress!!
(stories of bloodshed and pressure plates)

Get it here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Extract the files from the zip into the folder of your choice, then run dwarfort.exe. Simple!

A tutorial is available here: Your First Fortress
A very helpful Illustrated Fortress Mode Tutorial

Welcome to the mountainhome of the dwarves! Starting out with a hardy band of seven pioneers, you will be beset on all sides by the threat of starvation, exposure, rampant idiocy, inexperience, tantrums, monkey attacks, hostile goblins, kleptomaniacal kobolds, accidental drownings, those goddamn hippy elves, being set on fire, upper class nobles that will make lives hell for your peasantry, and the mortal enemies of the dwarves, elephants. ELEPHANTS! OH GOD THEY'RE IN THE FORTRESS!

So what's Dwarf Fortress? It's a rather bizarre little roguelike/ fantasy world generator / colony management sim hybrid. With lots of dead dwarves guaranteed.
DFascii.jpg

So you start out with a tiny band of 7 dwarves, a few wagons, mules, horses, and enough supplies to make sure you don't starve... maybe.
With a little luck (and if those goddamn monkeys dont steal all your food off the wagon again), your fortress will make it past the first winter. Or more likely it will collapse and you'll start up a new fortress, avoiding the mistakes of the first.

...before it all ends in a tide of blood and dwarf parts

And then you start AGAIN!

The ever helpful Dwarf Fortress wiki
The First G&T DF thread
The second G&T DF thread.

And the SA DF thread, the Goons have plenty of DF chatter too.
And of course THE EPIC SAGA OF BOATMURDERED which is a must-read.

FAQ
AAAAA LETTERS EVERYWHERE OH GOD HOW DO I DO STUFF?!
A few keys will come up a lot. Pressing these keys will bring up a yellow X cursor which you control using the arrow keys. PROTIP: use the keypad to move the cursor around- it's more comfortable.

Q - assigns orders at workshops and structures, or used to create rooms from a placed structure, like tables, beds, archery targets, etc, or to destroy them.
T - much like Q, but works for sTructures. Use this when you want to examine/destroy a structure that is not a workshop. Also useful for peeking at the contents of a workshop to see how cluttered it is.
V - Examines an individual dwarf, where you can look at their stats, gear, thoughts and alter their job list.
K - If you'd like to see if that U is an attacking Unicorn or a friendly hUman trader, this is the key you want. Pressing enter examines the object in greater detail (if any).
D - Designates an area for tasks. Hit enter to start dragging out a rectangle, enter to stop. Or hold down the mouse button and draw it in. Everything in this area will now be designated for whatever task you had selected, from Digging out rock, cutting down trees, or picking plants, or whatever else it might have been. Use this to dig out your dwarf-hole.

ALSO!
Z - Brings up your fortress report and tells you how depressingly low you are on food.
U - displays a list of all units on the map, along with current job. Useful for finding idlers and wild animals
< and > - Change the levevel displayed by one (up and down, respectively). Since you'll be using these a lot, it might be wise to remap the keys (I use / and * on the keypad). To do this, press ESC and use the "Key Bindings" option ("move/view cursor up (Z)" and "down (Z)" )

I built a bridge, but it looked ugly so I demolished it. The new one never gets built because of pathing errors!
Common mistake. Never cut off the fortress. The dwarf builders are trying to get to material/worksites on the other side of the river/chasm, but cant because there's no bridge anymore. Avoid this by always having spare bridges. If this has already happened, build stone blocks at your masonry workshop and use those to build your new bridge, ensuring that you're using accessible materials.

They sent a diplomat from the mountainhomes and he's killing all my dorfs! What kind of a diplomat is he?!
Aye, the outpost liaison who comes with the dwarven caravan is a delicate fellow. When he arrives, ensure that your outpost leader (use the N key to find him) has all jobs turned off, so that he has the time to meet the diplomat. Otherwise the poor guy will feel unaccepted and get miserable/insane/berserk.

It took me ages to figure out farming in the previous version. Now what?!
Now you can just farm to your heart's content over any soil/sand tile, with no need of irrigation. (To mine on rock tiles use the good old floodgate system).

How do I change the game resolution/settings/colours/etc?
In the data/init directory is init.txt, a well documented file which contains all sorts of DF settings.

Can I run this on a Mac?
User Sleep reports that Crossover works fine. I've no experience with this though.

I'd play this if only it had graphics
RARRRGH, but if you must, there's replacement tile and object graphics you can use along with install instructions on these pages:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Tilesets

People are also sometimes interested in the tilesets I'm using. You can get a precompiled version here.
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm

This game is running slooooooooow! I thought ASCII graphics don't need a fast PC?
Make sure your starting area is suitably small for your PC. If you're already in the middle of a game, it may also help to turn off weather and/or temperature in the data\init\init.txt file. There is also a possibility you have set an FPS_CAP in the very same file.

What happens if I do this?
Just try it first! It's no fun if we tell you that you would have doomed all your dwarves to a horrible agonizing death beforehand. No fun at all!
Besides, it just means you get to do it better next time.

How do I back up my save game?
A good idea, since the game is only in alpha, and does crash (rarely), but if it does, it can corrupt your entire world.
Make a copy of the data/save directory and keep it somewhere safe. To restore, delete your entire data/save directory and replace it with your copy. NOT DELETING IT FIRST WILL CAUSE ERRORS. For the backing up of save games, you can also go into the init.txt file (\data\init\init.txt) and set
[AUTOSAVE:NONE] to
[AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL]
and
[AUTOBACKUP:NO] to
[AUTOBACKUP:YES]
You can make the autosave yearly as well, and making autobackup set to yes will make each autosave a new save instead of overwriting your current one.

(This introduction was edited by SynthOr, Bahamut0, J3p, and MD.)

wavecutter on

• Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dorf?

YardGnome on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Want to make sure to mark this page!
    I also vote for a cooler name, though I don't know one :(

Xtarath on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I should re-download and make a new Dorf Fort.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sporting a new sig.
    Also, if you guys haven 't seen it, Kotaku did an article on with dwarf fortress creator tarn adams:
    http://kotaku.com/362662/the-making-of-dwarf-fortress

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    YardGnome wrote: »
    Dorf?

Dorf is funnier than dwarf though I'm not sure who coined the term.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "Toady One has created a masterpiece!", maybe?

Also, I've just got my first Elite Marksdwarf :D

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dwarf Fortress: Child cancels study: Interrupted by tentacle demon.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I'll buy that for a dollar.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I was thinking about something to do with murderous elephants or magma flooding.

Edit: to add on to Dkarrde, Child cancels sleep: caged.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Started the construction of some branches to the main building. This is going to be a dorf tree fortress.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Dual crossbow-wielding steel plate-wearing Elite Marksdwarf: too much? I just have the Iron Man song going round in my head.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dual crossbow-wielding steel plate-wearing Elite Marksdwarf: too much? I just have the Iron Man song going round in my head.

Not nearly enough.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How do you guys deal with all the stone that gets mined? I don't like it just sitting in the hallways but pretty soon the entire mountainside is covered in rock stockpiles

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2008
    My rock-clearing schemes have involved crafting, statues, coffins and above-ground large-scale construction.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Takes much more personal effort than stockpiles, but create a 1x1 zone next to your mason and craftsdwarf shops, and label it Garbage Dump in the zone options. Press K to activate individual selection mode once you've created the zone, then go to each individual stone and press D to flag it for dumping. Your dwarves will haul all the stone to the dump spot; then you can press "d"esignate, re"c"laim on that dump to return all the stone to usable status. It'll stay all on one spot, in a convenient location for your stonecrafters and masons.

No, there's no way to flag an area as dump. I wish.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nice, thanks I'll try that out

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2008
    So after I got wrecked by a kobold archery unit, a glassmaker laughed an evil laughed, killed my fish dissector, and is making something with his corpse. I'm a little frightened

He made: "Rashoram Bistoknotlithzagith, Dieworld the Hairy Ruined Devil, a Dwarf Leather Quiver

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So after I got wrecked by a kobold archery unit, a glassmaker laughed an evil laughed, killed my fish dissector, and is making something with his corpse. I'm a little frightened

Those are the best moods. I had a blacksmith wearing a pair of dwarven hide leather pants for years.

Arrath on
  • Options
    ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Who votes we create another succession game (That's what they are called, right?) because Jdark has been taking his turn for weeks, I believe. Whenever he finishes, we could continue both. Or maybe just have someone else play from the last file, and we'll have a parallel universe type succession game.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The two links in the OP are broken :(

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

He made: "Rashoram Bistoknotlithzagith, Dieworld the Hairy Ruined Devil, a Dwarf Leather Quiver

At least that fish dissector was useful for something.

Garthor on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well there goes the second liason. This time a Human Baroness who decided to follow my Mayor as we went down to the stream to fetch some water for one of the poor injured dwarves from the last Goblin Ambush. It seems the mayor warning her "Hey, watch that cage trap before the door..." went unheeded and the ditz got herself trapped.

It also seems you can't free liasons trapped like that, at least after they've already gone bibbly. All unassigning them from the cage does is have a dwarf bring a new cage over and stuff them into that one.

My Ranger, who was well on his way to becoming an Elite Marksdwarf faster than the military ones, the dwarf who could kill entire wolf packs by himself, was finally pulled down by a lone wolf who then proceeded to be pasted by the last of the human caravan guards as they left (obviously waiting for the baroness, who I assured them just decided to move in she liked the place so much). The ranger, in honor of his brave work supplying the fortress with more food than the butchers could even handle, has a solitary tomb carved out of the side of the cliff, off the stairs he used so often, with an Iron casket and four statues watching over him. Strangely enough, the tomb is now filled with leather armor pieces that all claim to be owned by him, despite the fact that I know he didn't own them when he was alive. His crossbow is sitting on top of the casket.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    SamorisSamoris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think the problem is that Wavecutter copied and pasted the only link directly from the page, instead of copying and pasting the quoted page, therefore he got shortened URLs as the actual URLs so they don't work.

Samoris on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Frostozuna wrote: »

Kickstart Guide isn't there any more, I think.

Your First Fortress

and

A very helpful Illustrated Fortress Mode Tutorial

(quote this post, copy the text for proper linkage)

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Well there goes the second liason. This time a Human Baroness who decided to follow my Mayor as we went down to the stream to fetch some water for one of the poor injured dwarves from the last Goblin Ambush. It seems the mayor warning her "Hey, watch that cage trap before the door..." went unheeded and the ditz got herself trapped.

It also seems you can't free liasons trapped like that, at least after they've already gone bibbly. All unassigning them from the cage does is have a dwarf bring a new cage over and stuff them into that one.

Link the cage to a lever. The dwarves are understandably afraid of things that get caught in cages.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "Meng Barrab, Stonecrafter cancels Store Item in Bin: Hunting vermin for food."

Fucking lazy farmers.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Somebody link the 3d Dwarf Fortress Visualizer.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Can siege machines hit stuff from different Z levels yet?

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    This is bad - four of my dwarfs have died of starvation already, and my fields have only just become fertile again :(

Five.

Six.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    blastblast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    In case anyone who cares about keeping their fortress nice and tidy as much as I do still dumps things one at a time:

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/GuiDumper.ahk

I can't imagine going back to dumping 21x21 dining halls one stone at a time.

blast on
    Hello, little man. I will destroy you!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    This is bad - four of my dwarfs have died of starvation already, and my fields have only just become fertile again :(

Five.

Six.

Fish! Hunt! Gather herbs!

Do something, don't just sit there and die! D:

Samoris on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    OK, 10 dwarfs have died of starvation, and almost all of the others are too busy hunting for vermin to do anything useful. I'm having to rely on my legendaries to set up an impromptu kitchen to cook up some of my seeds and booze before it's too late.

And now an Elven caravan has arrived - fuckers better have some cheese.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So apparently Dwarf Fortress making my laptop processor it's bitch+newly-developed fan problem = whoops overheat, autoshutdown

Pity I hadn't saved my fort in, oh, five or six hours.

sob

Abbalah on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ouch! No seasonal/yearly autosave turned on? D:

Samoris on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Fourteen dwarfs dead in the Great Famine, including my Legendary Mason. My Elite Marksdwarf then bled to death after being assaulted by a Legendary Woodcutter, who was throwing a tantrum :(

The fortress has calmed down slightly, but I still need to get my farming back on track. It's crazy - in my last fortress I had plump helmets rotting in the fields, but here I struggle to half-fill a plot.

Edit: and now my armorer has been taken by a fey mood - this could either be a good or a bad thing, as my steel industry has been lurching along fairly haltingly. He might also just want to make something else, and he's the only armorer I've got, so his legendary skill may well have to go to waste for the sake of my army.

Edit: Not armorer, metalcrafter. Oh well, at least he can knock up an anvil and make his own workshop, rather than getting in the way of my war machine. And then, bolts aplenty, to complement my masterpiece bone bolts being made elsewhere :)

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I'll fix it in a bit.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Fourteen dwarfs dead in the Great Famine, including my Legendary Mason. My Elite Marksdwarf then bled to death after being assaulted by a Legendary Woodcutter, who was throwing a tantrum :(

The fortress has calmed down slightly, but I still need to get my farming back on track. It's crazy - in my last fortress I had plump helmets rotting in the fields, but here I struggle to half-fill a plot.

Quick, make engravings.

This is an image of a dwarf and dwarves. The dwarf and dwarves are withering away.

This is an image of a dwarf and a dwarf. The dwarf is striking down the dwarf.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I haven't been back to my old fortress since the z-axis came out, has toady introduced anything amazing to DF mode since then?
    Somebody link the 3d Dwarf Fortress Visualizer.

this too, saw a screenie of it over at tigsource awhile back and it made it seem like spending hours perfecting what would be an awesome looking rampart for the fort entrance will finally pay off

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    wavecutter wrote: »

I'll fix it in a bit.

FIXD

wavecutter on
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I actualy kinda like the elves. I have the beginnings of a wolf army thanks to them. They also just dropped off a stud for my female black bear :D

Stregone on
This discussion has been closed.