Options

Dorf Fortress "Toady One has created a masterpiece"

• Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh, so goddamn much. Religion, gods, family trees, more hidden fun stuff...

tell me more of this religion stuff...

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, here's the data from my current world. This is just one of the many many civilizations in it. I forgot to add that civilizations and lineages are tracked properly now. Anyway, it's a list of the dwarven gods and rulers, etc etc.

If you find the temples, you can go on quests for them too in adventure mode. It's pretty much like other quests, except that you gain standing with temples rather than towns/civs.
    The Quakes of Kindling, Dwarves
    Worship List
    Ertal Bronzeblue the Wealthy Gold, deity: jewels, wealth
    Moldath, deity: minerals
    Vudnis Bastionsculpted the Legendary Point, deity: fortresses, war, victory, mountains, caverns
    Ber Bronzecaves, deity: metals
    ¢s, deity: strength, pregnancy, birth, creation
    Aned Boldwild the Confident Zeal of Gleams, deity: the wind
    Soshosh Deepspider, deity: treachery, trickery
    ™gred, deity: plants, the rain, storms
    Vumom Lyricabbeys, deity: oaths, marriage, writing, scholarship
    Dok the Greatest Flank, deity: thralldom
    Emen, deity: youth
    Ibruk the Ghost of Oblivion, deity: suicide
    Ruler List
    [*] At¡r Papershadow (b.??? d. 80, Reign Began: 1), *** Original Line, Married (d. 82)
    10 Children -- Ages at death: 79 78 77 76 75 74 73 72 71 70
    Worshipped Moldath (52%)
    [*] Fikod Gravelsling (b.5 d. 160, Reign Began: 80), Inherited from father, Married (d. 165)
    7 Children -- Ages at death: 140 139 138 137 136 135 134
    Worshipped Moldath (87%)
    [*] Stinth„d Weakchambers (b.21 d. 190, Reign Began: 160), Inherited from father, Married (d. 176)
    2 Children -- Ages at death: 30 29
    Worshipped Soshosh Deepspider (62%)
    [*] Dod¢k Wheeloil (b.161 d. 313, Reign Began: 190), Inherited from mother, Married (d. 317)
    4 Children -- Ages at death: 135 131 123 122
    Worshipped Soshosh Deepspider (59%)
    [*] Logem Teethtrumpet (b.178 d. 333, Reign Began: 313), Inherited from mother, Married (d. 330)
    2 Children -- Ages at death: 139 20
    Worshipped Soshosh Deepspider (39%)
    [*] •nul Friendpaddle (b.313 d. 465, Reign Began: 333), Inherited from mother, Married (d. 470)
    5 Children -- Ages at death: 132 131 125 124 118
    Worshipped Soshosh Deepspider (47%)
    [*] Mistˆm Sneaksacks (b.347 d. 507, Reign Began: 465), Inherited from mother, Married (d. 505)
    5 Children -- Ages at death: 42 40 11 10 7
    Worshipped Soshosh Deepspider (53%)
    [*] Catten Sunstockades (b.467 d. 627, Reign Began: 507), Inherited from father, Married (d. 626)
    4 Children -- Ages at death: 137 130 120 119
    Worshipped Aned Boldwild the Confident Zeal of Gleams (63%)
    [*] Zulban Rackstokers (b.508 d. 675, Reign Began: 627), Inherited from father, Married (d. 675)
    4 Children -- Ages at death: 48 47 14 13
    Worshipped Vudnis Bastionsculpted the Legendary Point (91%)
    [*] Tun Squidtreaty (b.627 d. 791, Reign Began: 675), Inherited from mother, Married (d. 781)
    3 Children -- Ages at death: 145 140 104
    Worshipped Vudnis Bastionsculpted the Legendary Point (72%)
    [*] Udil Silverplayed (b.687 d. 839, Reign Began: 791), Inherited from father, Married (d. 848)
    4 Children -- Ages at death: 57 48 37 28
    Worshipped Soshosh Deepspider (1%)
    [*] Kivish Workglaze (b.782 d. 943, Reign Began: 839), Inherited from mother, Never Married
    No Children
    Worshipped Soshosh Deepspider (1%)
    [*] Cilob Rocksbands (b.833 d. 994, Reign Began: 943), *** New Line, Married (d. 980)
    4 Children -- Ages at death: 53 51 35 22
    Worshipped Ibruk the Ghost of Oblivion (6%)
    [*] Ber Praisedrope (b.941, Reign Began: 994), Inherited from mother, Married
    4 Children -- Ages: 94 93 56 55
    Worships Ibruk the Ghost of Oblivion (21%)

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, the pit horrors have massacred everyone except for a lone melancholy dwarf. Will he survive long enough for migrants to arrive and witness the horrors the greed of the dwarves has unleashed, or will he perish before passing on the tale?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    On the old thread there was a link to a tileset that wasn't from the wiki....the web page had kind of a brownish background. I know that's a crap description, but does anyone know which one I mean and if so what the link is?

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The link wasn't working so I deleted it

wavecutter on
  • Options
    SamorisSamoris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Samoris on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wavecutter wrote: »
    YardGnome wrote: »
    Dorf?

Dorf is funnier than dwarf though I'm not sure who coined the term.

It was common usage in the Myth days, as was the misspelled "durf". Probably predates that though.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's also easier to say for people incapable of pronouncing 'W's correctly.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    well my baron is going to have to die.

the motherfucker banned exports of cave spider silk items.

seeing as thats my biggest trade item he is going to have to meet an unfortunate end

also his bitch ass consort wants zinc items, even though i don't have any zinc

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    This is where the all important lava tube comes into play. Please tell me there is a hatch in every room that prevents a dwarf from dying a horrible, fiery death?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That's the one! "Brown" means "green" in Yougottawanese. Thanks.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    The Cheshire CatThe Cheshire Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is where the all important lava tube comes into play. Please tell me there is a hatch in every room that prevents a dwarf from dying a horrible, fiery death?

Why would you want to PREVENT it?

The Cheshire Cat on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Why would you want to PREVENT it?

Temporarily. That's why it's a hatch, you see.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    unfortunately my current fort has no lava so i'm thinking i'll have to get creative to murder him and his bitch.

like making a nice meeting hall for diplomats and have it accidentally break the floor making them fall to their deaths

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    StealtharcadiaStealtharcadia Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fort Gleemetals has fallen. D:

Along with a couple other survivors, fadingathedges and titmouse are among the ruins. Those damn goblins did me in. Man, I'm proud of that, though. My first fort lasted 9 years before being demolished.

NOW TO START AGAIN!

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    unfortunately my current fort has no lava so i'm thinking i'll have to get creative to murder him and his bitch.

like making a nice meeting hall for diplomats and have it accidentally break the floor making them fall to their deaths

Or you could put a suspended platform above their room, with a lever in the middle of the room that blows out the supports. Lock the door while they're in there and they'll have to pull the lever because nobody else can reach it.

I'm not sure if one layer of rock/floor falling on them would be enough to kill them though. Sometimes they just break a bunch of bones.

There's always good old fashioned locking them in their room until they die of thirst, but where's the creativity in that?

The Cheshire Cat on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    maybe i can rig up a spike pit trap or something in his room, and make him pull the lever which will be conveniently placed so he has to stand on the trap.

that would be cool right?

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just thought of a horrible way to kill dwarfs. I don't know if it works this way though.

Build individual rooms for each dwarf a level or two below where there is magma, semi-close. Give them doors so you can melt one at a time.
    On the level of the magma, tunnel out a series of paths that lead to every dwarf room, with a channel dug at the end of each of them, and a floorhatch placed over the open spot. Connect each hatch to a lever in the individuals room, or my favorite, to just one room away from the mess, like a control tower of death.
    Flood the level above the rooms with the magma, and if you want a dwarf to die, just lock them in their room, and pull the switch.

Is that possible, or would that just fail?

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That is possible, though the blueprint is fuzzy in my head. I'm not sure whether you'd ever be able to use the rooms a second time.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Not the way I've got it planned out. Maybe you could have a hatch in the room as well, that would drain the magma into a lower level.

And, is it possible to dam up a river, and would it actually flood the level above it?

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    x = random rock
    f = floor
    H = floor hatch
    w = wall
    L = lever

Z-level above rooms
    xxxxx
    xxxxx
    f f Hxx <--Magma patch
    xxxxx
    xxxxx

The room itself
    wwwww
    w f f f w
    w f H f w
    w f f Lw
    wwdww

Z level below room

Some big reservoir type thing

Yea, it's kinda a crap picture, but hopefully that gets the idea across.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm kind of looking at this game, but I'm on a laptop keyboard. Is there a good system of control without the numpad or do I need to get a USB keyboard or numpad?

freakish light on
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    J3p wrote: »
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

2co56l3.png

EDIT: Okay, so Dkarrde and Bloodsheed shot him with their crossbows and then Blast the Hammer Lord ran in and finished him off, but not before InfestedGnome attacked Kingthlayer, leaving his upper body / right lung mangled. That's a mortal wound, right there.

D:

It's ok. I have a dwarf name InfestedGnome stationed above the lava. I'll wait to see if I survive the wound before I do anything rash.

you can play this game just fine on a laptop if you rebind some keys or take advantage of the fn keys

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    have i killed myself over the loss of rhesus yet?

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Zerinan wrote: »
    And, is it possible to dam up a river, and would it actually flood the level above it?

It doesn't. It's impossible for water to overflow with the fluid dynamics in the game. It can never rise higher than one below its "Source" level.

It is possible to dam a river, but only if it freezes over the winter. You would tunnel out the ice and the river bed, then build a wall across where the river bed was. Whichever side is downriver from the dam will eventually dry up. I'm not sure how you can tell which side is downriver before you actually build the dam, though.

The Cheshire Cat on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm kind of looking at this game, but I'm on a laptop keyboard. Is there a good system of control without the numpad or do I need to get a USB keyboard or numpad?

You can use the numpad to control it?

*eyes his keyboard*

Maybe I should install the driver for this thing someday. I learn something new all the time.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    tgbobtgbob Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

It doesn't. It's impossible for water to overflow with the fluid dynamics in the game. It can never rise higher than one below its "Source" level.

It is possible to dam a river, but only if it freezes over the winter. You would tunnel out the ice and the river bed, then build a wall across where the river bed was. Whichever side is downriver from the dam will eventually dry up. I'm not sure how you can tell which side is downriver before you actually build the dam, though.

You can dam a river by that, or by draining it till there's some safe land for your mans to dam. You'd need a lot of pumps or dig a whole lot in order to do that though.

tgbob on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

You can pump out enough water to build a dam, but it will take a lot of pumps, a good deal of diverting, and other such fun. Not an easy project. You can tell which way is upriver by looking at the animation, or looking at the water levels at either end (the downriver side will be draining off the map, so you'll have a few tiles going to 6s and 5s momentarily).

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The only thing I've ever done with pumps is make an artificial waterfall (Which worked well... except that the dwarfs insisted on walking underneath it all the time and kept getting swept into the pool it landed in), so I wasn't sure about how feasable it was to drain a river with pumps. I've heard people do it with aquifiers, but from what I understand an aquifier refills more slowly than a river.

The Cheshire Cat on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Couple newb questions..

1.) One of the things I read said you need a bed and a bucket for dwarves to heal. Building them is obviously easy, placing the bed is easy.. how do I set the bucket somewhere? It just gets hauled off to the furniture stash and I didn't find an option for it in the build menu like everything else.

2.) After getting tired of the hassle of needing water sources to irrigate rooms to farm, this time I skipped the farmer and went with a hunter/trapper/butcher. This guy killed the shit out of everything, most of it rotted outside. However despite having my butcher shop queued to butcher a bunch of stuff, and my butcher left only on butcher duty, and animal corpse got put in my refuse stockpile.. where it rotted.. in my big warehouse.. creating miasma.. over and over and over. How do I get rid of the fucking thing?

3.) edit again.. Even though my dormitory is always like a level below and in the opposite direction and doored off everywhere, my dwarves always "sleep uneasily due to noise." How do I get around this? Do their rooms need to be spaced out further or does the dorm area need to be fifty miles away from everything else?

And about the laptop thing, even the old laptops I've looked at still have the Fn key and a pseudo-numpad. I've been using it to play on mine without any issue. Not super convenient but it's not intolerable.

edit.. so I built my little dormitory, everyone has a room.. one guy decides to sleep in the barracks instead, and my mechanic decides his room with a cabinet and everything sucks more than a random undesignated bed-only room for future occupants and sleeps there instead. Okay.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    Couple newb questions..

1.) One of the things I read said you need a bed and a bucket for dwarves to heal. Building them is obviously easy, placing the bed is easy.. how do I set the bucket somewhere? It just gets hauled off to the furniture stash and I didn't find an option for it in the build menu like everything else.

2.) After getting tired of the hassle of needing water sources to irrigate rooms to farm, this time I skipped the farmer and went with a hunter/trapper/butcher. This guy killed the shit out of everything, most of it rotted outside. However despite having my butcher shop queued to butcher a bunch of stuff, and my butcher left only on butcher duty, and animal corpse got put in my refuse stockpile.. where it rotted.. in my big warehouse.. creating miasma.. over and over and over. How do I get rid of the fucking thing?

And about the laptop thing, even the old laptops I've looked at still have the Fn key and a pseudo-numpad. I've been using it to play on mine without any issue. Not super convenient but it's not intolerable.

1.when a dwarf goes to give another dwarf something to drink they will grab the bucket wherever it is so thats fine.

2. you can put farm plots on sand and loam without any issues for farming. Though the problem you are having with the hunter is that he is killing shit that he isnt actual 'hunting' therefore it just lays around and rots.

Normally i set my refuse orders to gather refuse outside, then the corpses will be hauled to the refuse pile when they are still fresh. Have another dwarf be the butcher because hunters are only concerned with killing shit. This way dwarves will haul the not actually 'hunted' corpses to the refuse pile and your butcher will chop em up

edit: now for my stupid question: how to maek graphic sets werk?

i'm failing miserably and want to use the guybrush 16x16 graphics set

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    J3p wrote: »
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

2co56l3.png

EDIT: Okay, so Dkarrde and Bloodsheed shot him with their crossbows and then Blast the Hammer Lord ran in and finished him off, but not before InfestedGnome attacked Kingthlayer, leaving his upper body / right lung mangled. That's a mortal wound, right there.

D:

It's ok. I have a dwarf name InfestedGnome stationed above the lava. I'll wait to see if I survive the wound before I do anything rash.

you can play this game just fine on a laptop if you rebind some keys or take advantage of the fn keys

I don't know how, but you've actually survived quite a while considering your right lung was punctured to level red. In fact, your previously mangled upper body has healed up from red to yellow, too. You're just constantly unconscious and winded, but that's no biggie.

The grim reaper is lazy in my world.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    That's actually pretty similar to me RL, always sleeping cause I'm lazy and always out of breath because of the smoking.

Toady would need to add a [MOUTHBREATHER] tag to the game for perfect accuracy, though.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    edit: now for my stupid question: how to maek graphic sets werk?

i'm failing miserably and want to use the guybrush 16x16 graphics set

The tileset ( http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/List_of_user_character_sets#Guybrush )
    or a graphics set ( http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Graphics_sets )?

Assuming tileset:
    -right click on picture, save as...
    -edit it in paint, save it as a 24-bit bitmap in data\art\
    -open up data\init.txt
    -set the following: [GRAPHICS:NO], [WINDOWEDX:1280], [WINDOWEDY:400], [FONT:whateveryousavethethingyasprobablysomethinglikeguybrush_16x16.bmp]
    -save file, load DF

If you use fullscreen, then change FULLSCREENX, FULLSCREENY, and FULLFONT instead. You can change the
    X and
    Y settings, but then you'll have to use [BLACK_SPACE:NO] so that DF will stretch it to fit, and probably [TEXTURE_PARAM:LINEAR] so that it doesn't look yucky when it stretches it.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    so the way i've decided to kill my baron is simple yet satisfactory. I will diagram the plans here

W = wall
    L = lever
    H=Hatch

Top View

WLH

Directly under the Hatch is an upright spear.

it should impale him yes?

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    In my experiments on spears and spikes with the gobbos, you need to pull a lever and make them spring out of the ground for any harm to be done. Any time they fall on top of one any damage done seems to be from the falling.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    this makes me sad as i wanted to install this feature into all my nobles rooms.

to make them come out of the ground do you just hook them up to a lever and they will spring up?

does the trap need to have an open space above it?

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, just link it to a lever, pull it and you can extract/retract them at will. No need for an open space. I believe, though I haven't confirmed this, that if the spikes land a killing blow then the body will remain stuck to them.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    my spears aren't coming up through the second level, i'm going to try throwing hatches down and see if they will then, otherwise i'm going to have to come up with another plan

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Your dorf needs to be on the same level as the spear/spike/what have you. They aren't multi-levelled.

A good layout would be this:
    WWWWWWW
    WLSSSSS
    WWWWWWW

The extra spikes are there because traps take a little bit to activate. If you manage to wall him in, they'll be unnecessary.

As a side note, my absolute favorite way of killing nobles is burying them alive inside my fort. When spirits and ghosts get implemented I'm gonna have some seriously pissed off purple dorf ghosts running around.

Kingthlayer on
This discussion has been closed.