As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recruiting] Pokèdent Evil: Ambrella Chronicles. Chars and pokes statted!

elkataselkatas Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Critical Failures
This will be beta-test for my con scenario.

Background

Ambrella Corporation is world's largest bioengineering pharmaceutical company, best known for its pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and medical hardware. Its company idolized by many, as its inventions have made life better both humans and pokemons. What is not commonly known, however, is that Ambrella Corporation has multiple clandestine operations, aiming for creating new kinds of bio weapon. Using both genetic and viral engineering, company's secret laboratories in Pewter City have created D-Virus (D stands for Dictator), horrible virus that can mutate its victims, and animate dead tissue. However, something has gone terribly wrong, and virus has spread on population of Pewter City. Four pokemon trainers have travelled Pewter City to take part in local pokemon tournament, but when they woke up in their hotel, they notice they have woke up in the hell. Can the trainers escape from the nightmare or will they be doomed to meet brutal death?

Rules

Pokedent Evil: Ambrella Chronicles will use Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition rules. Pokemon trainers will be PL2 characters with 20 powerpoints. To make creation process faster, GM will do the characters from the given descriptions. Each player can select three pokemons for his character, and all must be from same element. There is no gap on rarity, but I have right to veto choices if I deem them too unbalancing. I will stat the pokemons for game. Please remember to tell pokedex number of the pokemon. If you need to refresh memory, pokedex can be found from following address:

Pokedex: http://www.pokemon.com/Pokedex/flash.asp

Playing

We will create two threads for the game. One IC and one OOC. As I live in Europe, pace of the game will be little slower, as most of my forum visits happen between 12:00 - 21:00 (GMT +2). Rolls will be made using invisible castle.

Players

Player list comes here.

Hypnotically inclined.
elkatas on

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The linked pokedex doesn't list rarity of pokemon for selection of the one common, one uncommon, and one rare.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, to what extent do we need to know the actual rules? Since you're doing the actual character creation, can we slip by without knowing them, and play it as though it's basically a freeform game, or do we need the rulebook?

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    RyuujinRyuujin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This honestly sounds interesting, and having played Brawl recently I am somewhat curious about one fo the pokemon I found in that game, I'm not sure how the character creation will work. Do we give you a character concept? Do you make the pokemon using the system? Or what?

Ryuujin on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This sounds very interesting, unfortunately, I have never played a M&M game before, would it be terribly difficult to pick up quickly?

EDIT: If not I would certainly sign up. Love the pokemon games, and still watch the movies sometimes when they're on cartoon network or something.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Elkatas

Why

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Why not?

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pokemon fighting the undead horde. I don't see how this isn't a good idea.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am going to have to follow this game intently

This can only end well

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    you know this is how I'm currently basing my far-far-away Pokemon Phalla!

I'm having to make a program to handle the logistics of it all.

I'm not a nerd you guys are

Obbi on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What what I'm down for playing

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    SonnySonny Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm in the same boat as Marsh.... I'll play if it's easy to pick up

Sonny on
    Untitled-1-1.gif
  • Options
    DamascusxieDamascusxie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I haven't gone near Pokemon since Red/Blue, but I have to say that this is really intriguing. Consider me in, but I really don't have a working knowledge of MM rules.

Damascusxie on
    starlordsig1-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Also, to what extent do we need to know the actual rules? Since you're doing the actual character creation, can we slip by without knowing them, and play it as though it's basically a freeform game, or do we need the rulebook?

Mutants & Masterminds 2nd ed works pretty much same way as vanilla D20, except for two things:

- Character creation. Character creation is point based, and rather comprehensive. Game can practically emulate nearly any superhero possible, and this make its pretty much ideal for creating pokemons. Character creation could be quite intimidating for new players, but as I will create the characters / pokemons, everything should go nicely, especially as actual characters won't have that many feats, powers or skills.

- Combat. Combat has been toned down seriously, and game doesn't actually require other dices than D20. First player rolls attack, and tries to overcome target's defense rating. If attack hits, opponent rolls Damage saving throw against the attack. Difference in failure tells what kind of damage target received. or did he receive damage at all. Here is example:

Rattata has attack bonus of +2, and he tries to bite zombie, who has +2 defense bonus. Rattata's player rolls 11 which is more than zombie's defense bonus (i.e. 11 + 2 = 13 vs. 10 + 2 = 12). Attack hits. Bite's damage bonus is +1, meaning that DC for damage saving throw is DC 16 (15 + 1). Zombie has +2 damage saving throw bonus.
    • If throw fails by less than five, target receives damage point. This point is reduced from further damage saving throws.
    • If throw fails by more than five, target receives damage point and is stunned. Character can't act next round, gets -2 penalty to Defense, and is flat-footed.
    • If throw fails by more than ten, target receives damage point and is disabled. Character is still conscious, but if he does anything strenous, his condition will turn to dying next round.
    • If throw fails by more than ten, target receives damage point and is dying. Player needs to immediately do successfull Fortitude saving throw against DC of 10, or character dies. This throw is made each hour with each hour giving +1 to DC. If roll succeeds by more than 10, character stabilizes.

And that's basics of it. Of course, there is more rules, but I don't really believe that majority of them are used in this scenario. I will tell necessary rules when required. Notice that because zombies (there is, however, far worse monsters) are designated as a mooks, they go down automatically if they are hit. This make combat pretty quick and easy.

For those M&M veterans that are reading... Yes, in this scenario, everything will cause lethal damage. Suits the style, and makes memorization easier for new players.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Alright, I've played plenty of D&D so I'll get the hang of it pretty quick I daresay.

How are you planning on picking players? Is it first comers, or submit a character idea to you first?

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Right. I'm definitely interested, then. Just give me some time to get a character together.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    • Lords of Hats
    • Marshmellow
    • Damscusxie
    • Sonny
    • TehCoolRyan

OK... we probably can ramp the number of players to the five. But but... how many pokemons should every player have? I originally visioned three, but this would mean 15 different pokemons + 5 characters, which, in the end, would result in logistical nightmare. Two pokemons per character? Or perhaps one? But then again... we could limit that each player can have only pokemon "out" at one time.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am interested, but I know nothing of M&M. I've played D&D 3.0/3.5 some, if that helps.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    cytorak wrote: »
    I am interested, but I know nothing of M&M. I've played D&D 3.0/3.5 some, if that helps.

As seen by post 16, game is currently full. You're on the reserve, but if no-one quits, I will use you as an GM assistant*. This means I would ask your opinion of few scenario-related things, and put you to track combat if team splits. Furthermore, chk post 14.

* If you want to help, that is.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think we should stick with 3 pokemon, but limit the number out at one time. Actually, how about you can have as many out at one time as you want, but only one of them can actually take an action each turn. That gives players a range of options, but it keeps down the complexity.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Actually, how about you can have as many out at one time as you want, but only one of them can actually take an action each turn. That gives players a range of options, but it keeps down the complexity.

Yeah, that could be good choice.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yawn, gotta go to sleep. PM your characters and pokemon choices if you have already decided on them. Rarity gap has been removed, but try to be reasonable with your choices.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    PUT ME IN THIS SHIT INSTANTLY FUUUUCK!

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are we allowed pokemon in their evolutionary forms, and if so what are they counted as between common, uncommon and rare?

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If someone drops out, I'm definitely interested.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If someone drops out, I'm definitely interested.

Likewise.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Alright, working on a character bio, should be done in a bit, although I'm also packing up my dorm stuff at the same time so might be a bit longerif I stop to make a snack or something.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My suggestion is that each player choose an element theme for their pokemon, like water, fire, fighting, whatever. Each character gets three pokemon of the chosen element, but only one may be out at a time. Recalling a pokemon to its pokeball should be a free action, and calling a pokemon should be a move action.

Key question: if a pokemon contracts the Virus, will the infection progress even if the pokemon is recalled to its pokeball? Can a poke-zombie even be recalled or captured? Definitely want this figured out before it comes up.

Are certain pokemon types immune to the Virus? (Ghost-type, I'm looking at you!)

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    My suggestion is that each player choose an element theme for their pokemon, like water, fire, fighting, whatever.

Yeah, perhaps that is better. I noticed certain problem(s) with pokemons that Lord of Hats and Marshmallow had chosen. First was that both had selected same pokemon (Honchkrow), and Lord had also chosen Metagross. Metagross is little too heavy pokemon for this scenario, as it is practically invulnerable to most physical damage, and it could stomp around legions of zombies without even breaking sweat. :)

And to your another question, you don't need to worry about D-virus, and no player owned pokemon can be affected by it. And no, you can't catch zombie pokemons. And please, no Ghost pokemons.

From here on, all pokemons must be from same element. Furthermore, you can select any pokemons, even three rare ones. But I can veto pokemon if I condemn it too powerful.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Might I direct your attention to the following link?

It seems pertinent to the conversation.

Troy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Troy wrote: »
    Might I direct your attention to the following link?

Yeah, Pokethulhu. Shame that S. John Ross is an fucking asshole, and I don't want to endorse any of his products (it's a long story). :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If none of you guys use Scyther or Ninjask, I'm going to have to wonder about how committed you are to destroying zombies.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I want to join as a Normal type trainer. :P

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    See, that just shows how AWESOME Honchkrow is.

But I digress. I'll choose Steel.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    DamascusxieDamascusxie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fire fire fire.

Damascusxie on
    starlordsig1-2.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I will be watching this obsessively.

Because an idea like this can only result in wonderful or horrible things. Nothing in between.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hell with it, I'm making a character sheet anyway.

Time to prepare Team Cuteness!

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think I'll go with Fighting or Rock types. Not sure which

Sonny on
    Untitled-1-1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dang, I was hoping for ghost types. Anyway, considering my favorites other than ghost I will go with dark type if that's fine.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I've decided on water type

Sonny on
    Untitled-1-1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Alright, changes have been sent, if the pokes are approved I think that should do it for now.

See, that just shows how AWESOME Honchkrow is.

He is, isn't he? One of my favorite newcomers, all decked out in style and fedora. Critical hittin' erryday.

Marshmallow on