As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help about Physical appearance

TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter.Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
This is my second H/A thread (the first being about a laptop) but this one is tiny bit more personal.

I'm a confident guy in all areas but my appearance. Here's me

l_13647f9df873db9e283de394c0826d9c.jpg

Here's 2 more showing me dressed up and me in an old leather jacket (which I don't have anymore cause my friend set it on fire with my permission of course :lol:)

l_accb6324d5c9dfba5f9872ff7948538e.jpg

l_cb892a733fa4deeca96d094acabb4d86.jpg

Basically what I'm looking for is advice on how I can look more appealing I guess.

Any help is welcome :)

TrueHereticX on

• Options
    blanknogoblanknogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Try on some new frames (glasses). It'll make a big difference.

blanknogo on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    contact lenses, laser eye surgery.
    pretty much try and look like that last picture cause you look pretty good in that one.
    Also the sun is your friend not your enemy.

also see the fitness thread for how to get bigger guns. Chicks love big guns.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do you have any pictures that weren't taken by you, or from only two feet away?

naporeon on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Limp moose wrote: »

I've been advised that it's best to stay away from laser eye surgery and go for a lensectomy instead. Personally, I'd avoid eye surgery unless it's really bad, but I haven't actually needed glasses myself for about three years now (well, eight years - I only stopped wearing them three years ago).

Cyvros on
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Change your haircut. You have the same haircut as every other white dude. You need to differentiate yourself. Lose the glasses, or find a better frame at the least. And SMILE, at least when posing for a photograph, it will help you wonders.

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Basar wrote: »
    Change your haircut. You have the same haircut as every other white dude. You need to differentiate yourself. Lose the glasses, or find a better frame at the least. And SMILE, at least when posing for a photograph, it will help you wonders.
    Yeah, looking at the shape of your head, i would definitely suggest growing your hair out some.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Limp moose wrote: »
    pretty much try and look like that last picture cause you look pretty good in that one.
    Also the sun is your friend not your enemy.

also see the fitness thread for how to get bigger guns. Chicks love big guns.

Seconded on the contacts and muscles as it worked for me. Plus confidence is very important too.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To be honest, the way you move and carry yourself has a huge impact on you appearance as well. Google around a bit, and you should be able some daily stretches you can do to improve your posture, just add them to your work out routine.

If you dont have a workout routine, get one. It will improve your life in more areas than just appearance.
    And PLEASE dont pop your collar

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sakebomb wrote: »
    And/or get a fake tan. There's very little worse than a combination of the two.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Try on many different combinations of clothes. The first picture looks pretty nerdy. You can be a nerd and not look like a nerd you know?

Maybe pick up some nice levis or some jeans at express or somthing, assuming you havent already. I like the ones that are kinda shaded different colors. The ones I have right now are blue with some yellowish worked in. Stylish.

Then a black T shirt with something plain on it. I have a pink floyd dark side of the moon one on now. Jeans plus black T-shirt plus maybe an long sleeve shirt over it = win.

Basically you need to go into this with a plan for an outfit. Go make outfits. Try on clothes till you have an outfit.

Another tip: stop looking so angry in your pictures. You have the same look in all three.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for all the responses :)

I'll have to wait a few weeks for the new glasses, but I'm willing to change up for some smaller frames.

Usually when my hair grows out I look like a Beatle, which I don't particularly like.

Any more responses will be appreciated :)

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Then a black T shirt with something plain on it. I have a pink floyd dark side of the moon one on now. Jeans plus black T-shirt plus maybe an long sleeve shirt over it = win.

Basically you need to go into this with a plan for an outfit. Go make outfits. Try on clothes till you have an outfit.

I'm gonna have to disagree on this slightly. More than slightly.

First of all, don't go creating outfits. You might have a shirt that goes perfectly if you wear this sweater with it, and then match it with these slacks. Great. But when you start wearing the same exact outfit once or twice a month, it gets noticeable. Look for items that can mix and match with everything - you want a wardrobe, not a Tuesday Costume.

As for the black t-shirt and long sleeve idea; I have a lot of long sleeve button shirts, from the casual American Eagle stuff to fitted oxfords. No matter what pattern or colour I picture a shirt in, I don't see a black t-shirt fitting. Black t-shirts, especially band and concert tees, scream "I couldn't think of anything else" to me. Go to American Apparel, pick up a couple solid coloured tees, they'll be much better looking, and can be worn by themselves. I've got a drawer full of a rainbow of tees, some with small graphics but mostly plain. Crew cuts, slight v-necks, deep v-necks, muscle fits, loose, etc. I can wear them with jeans, under a blazer, with slacks, shorts, and when you wear them well, they look good. Work out.

Coloured jeans? Maybe I'm picturing them wrong, but I don't like the idea. Indigos are my favourite, but light to dark denim works well with anything.

Dress for the season and the time of day if at all possible. When I go out during the day in the summer, I'm not wearing black. Middle of the winter, I'm wearing earth tones.

I really changed my entire wardrobe piece by piece over the last 3 years from reading GQ. Check out an issue, maybe wait for the Winter fashion issue, should be out soon.

Edit: Second picture? Boy, you got some ears. Buzzed sides aren't your friend.

Alpine on
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is just some general advice:
    Clothes make the man... They also help load you with confidence, what i suggest is finding the most stylish person you know and hitting the shops with a digital camera. Take pics and post them in the fashion thread, those guys there will let you know if you're looking good. Then go and buy what looks good.

Go buy a gym membership and use it, tubes work out plan for faggots should set you on the right track.

Get some better glasses and sun glasses. A good pair of stylish glasses will look much better than no glasses at all (imo).

noobert on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for all the responses :)

I'll have to wait a few weeks for the new glasses, but I'm willing to change up for some smaller frames.

Usually when my hair grows out I look like a Beatle, which I don't particularly like.

Any more responses will be appreciated :)

There is nothing wrong with looking like a Beatle

The Beatles were sexy

But regardless, growing your hair out does not necessarily mean growing it into a mop

There are a lot of different haircuts out there, try and find something that suits you

Straightzi on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Don't wear glasses that push your ears out like that

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Alpine wrote: »

I'm gonna have to disagree on this slightly. More than slightly.

First of all, don't go creating outfits. You might have a shirt that goes perfectly if you wear this sweater with it, and then match it with these slacks. Great. But when you start wearing the same exact outfit once or twice a month, it gets noticeable. Look for items that can mix and match with everything - you want a wardrobe, not a Tuesday Costume.

As for the black t-shirt and long sleeve idea; I have a lot of long sleeve button shirts, from the casual American Eagle stuff to fitted oxfords. No matter what pattern or colour I picture a shirt in, I don't see a black t-shirt fitting. Black t-shirts, especially band and concert tees, scream "I couldn't think of anything else" to me. Go to American Apparel, pick up a couple solid coloured tees, they'll be much better looking, and can be worn by themselves. I've got a drawer full of a rainbow of tees, some with small graphics but mostly plain. Crew cuts, slight v-necks, deep v-necks, muscle fits, loose, etc. I can wear them with jeans, under a blazer, with slacks, shorts, and when you wear them well, they look good. Work out.

Coloured jeans? Maybe I'm picturing them wrong, but I don't like the idea. Indigos are my favourite, but light to dark denim works well with anything.

Dress for the season and the time of day if at all possible. When I go out during the day in the summer, I'm not wearing black. Middle of the winter, I'm wearing earth tones.

I really changed my entire wardrobe piece by piece over the last 3 years from reading GQ. Check out an issue, maybe wait for the Winter fashion issue, should be out soon.

Edit: Second picture? Boy, you got some ears. Buzzed sides aren't your friend.

I'm not in America so American Apparel is a no go

And the ears thing? I try to get people to take photos from a certain angle so my gigantic fucking ears don't show too much. Unfortunately, my girlfriend at the time wanted to make me look like a goblin in a purple tie :lol:

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    AA sells stuff internationally on their website, I'm pretty sure. www.americanapparel.net

As far as ears go, growing out your hair and changing your frames can help with that. You can look pretty awesomely handsome even with larger ears. Case in point:

barack-obama-official-small.jpg

Reckless on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not in America so American Apparel is a no go

http://americanapparel.net/

You could try visiting their website and seeing if your country is listed among the various different regional home pages they have before dismissing it just because of its name.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Reckless wrote: »
    AA sells stuff internationally on their website, I'm pretty sure. www.americanapparel.net

That's cool, I'll check that out.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Don't wear glasses that push your ears out like that

Those are my old glasses, my current ones are the top picture. But per the advice stated here I'm almost definately going to get some more within the next few weeks.

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Agreeing with the workout plan. Not only helps in appearance, it adds loads to your confidence, demeanor, etc. All of those things are as important as appearance, and possibly more so.

The Beatles were attractive to lots of women. Even if you don't grow it long, keep it at least finger length on the back and sides. I also have large ears, and it helps to have a bit more hair. You can take it out a few inches without looking messy/like a hippie.

TL DR on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Contacts are actually pretty cool.
    I don't know how into touching your eyes you are, but its really not that bad. I was very apprehensive but now I have them I wouldn't go back to wearing glasses full time unless I have to.

The only thing about them is finding ones that suit your lifestyle. Some people like daily lenses, but personally I'm far too lazy for that. Mine are monthly contacts. I put them in on day one and then I don't have to take them out until day 30. I can even sleep in them. I basically just put them in and forget about them.

It's SO much more convenient and REALLY affects the way you look. Its really surprising how much of an effect glasses have on the way you look and the way people perceive you.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't know how into touching your eyes you are, but its really not that bad. I was very apprehensive but now I have them I wouldn't go back to wearing glasses full time unless I have to.

The only thing about them is finding ones that suit your lifestyle. Some people like daily lenses, but personally I'm far too lazy for that. Mine are monthly contacts. I put them in on day one and then I don't have to take them out until day 30. I can even sleep in them. I basically just put them in and forget about them.

It's SO much more convenient and REALLY affects the way you look. Its really surprising how much of an effect glasses have on the way you look and the way people perceive you.

I didn't know you could get monthly contacts:|

I'm gonna have to look into that :)

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

First of all, don't go creating outfits.

Outfits are a good start. You are just describing interchangeable outfits. Its not like he can start with a whole wardrobe of interchangable clothes.

as for black Ts and long sleve. Nope, definitly not working here.

well I guess thats a jacket. Anyway, layering dude.

Or maybe somthing like this

I dont really mean... colored jeans... I guess... Its hard to explain without a picture, and the pictures on levis website dont really capture what I mean very well. they are blue jeans. But there is definitely whitish yellowish thread going through them.

I stand by graphic T's :P

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

First of all, don't go creating outfits.

as for black Ts and long sleve. Nope, definitly not working here.

See this is the biggest problem with fashion advice - a lot of it is really just personal taste and opinion. I think that look definately does not work. It isnt doing the guy any favors, and he's a model for gods sake. Pretty much the most bland, boring look he could have gone for imho.

The second link is a much better look. Theres stuff to focus on, the eye is drawn to many different things.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Let me tell you a little secret, a secret about glasses. Vision World, Pearle Vision, all of them? They're for suckers. Order your glasses from China: http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php

$8-$12 per pair, I ended up paying about $40 for mine because I have absurdly bad vision. Like crazy bad. But most of their glasses are really killer, I highly recommend.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Go to a stylist and ask them for advice on your hair, they know more than most people here will.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Graphic tees are not bad. Overbearingly loud band tees are, as are graphic tees with huge loud terribly done designs. There are definitely good oversized graphic print tees, but they aren't going to be found in chain stores.

As for wearing a black tee under a button up, I don't think so. The only examples you gave are of jackets, which is basically not the same thing at all, at least to me. But, then again, with button up shirts, I'm not one for casual use unless it's extremely well fitted and in that case there probably wouldn't be a very visible undershirt.

Take Alpine's advice, for sure. Reading about what makes a good wardrobe is better than just buying things people tell you to. Teach a man to fish, etc.

The hair in the first picture isn't actually that bad, if a tad short. The one thing I can see is that it looks like you just ate the sourest thing in the world.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sakebomb wrote: »
    To be honest, the way you move and carry yourself has a huge impact on you appearance as well. Google around a bit, and you should be able some daily stretches you can do to improve your posture, just add them to your work out routine.

If you dont have a workout routine, get one. It will improve your life in more areas than just appearance.

Truth. Shoulder, chest and core exercises can do wonders for your posture which is important (if you do things right). Getting some weights and contacts (and using both) would go an extremely long way.

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bent wrote: »
    Go to a stylist and ask them for advice on your hair, they know more than most people here will.

Just make sure its a stylist and not a run of the mill hair dresser.

The latter will give you a generic short on the sides messy on top cut, the former will be more expensive and they actually care about giving you a cut that looks amazing on you and reflects well on them.

edit: by the by, I like the haircut in the last picture the most.

noobert on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    1. Take a girl shopping with you. One with taste.

2. Get clothes that FIT. Baggy jeans are awful looking. Go for something like Levi's 514s. Nice slim fit, but not overly tight. NOTHING tapered. Shirts should fit as well. Nothing looks worse than people swimming in their outfits.

3. Pay money for a good haircut. Establish a relationship with your hair dresser. They can walk you through the awkward grow out stages (which you're going to have). You're going to want to spend at least 20-30 American for a decent cut.

4. Contacts. Get contacts. Glasses are fine on some people, they don't seem to work on you. Lose the necklace as well.

Esh on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I didn't know you could get monthly contacts:|

I'm gonna have to look into that :)

Seriously, I went from glasses to contacts (Acuvue2 is what I use, monthly contacts) and it changed a lot about me. It felt GREAT to not have glasses (that can be wet or dirty or smeared) in front of my eyes all the time. It was fantastic to not see frames around my eyes. It's awesome to see everything at the same sharpness (sides aren't blurry). Optometrists can testify that many people who started wearing contacts felt a positive change in their life, felt better about themselves, etc. I know I did. And yeah, the first time, it took me 45 mins to get them on and I didn't manage it, and got quite the red eyes. It's hard at first, but now it's second nature. These days, I put them, bam, 5 seconds, they're on, didn't touch my eyes, didn't feel anything. I remove them, bam, as easy.

As for the rest, I'd suggest a new haircut. I dunno exactly what you should get, but I feel you shouldn't get what you have now. Just a feeling.

Also, as other have said, a lot about your physical appearance will depend on your posture, walk, being in good shape, smiling, etc, and not just a type of facial cream or soap or piece of clothing.

EDIT: I've been looking at your ears in the second picture, and I think that contacts (so as to not have the frames push your ears) and enough hair on the side (removes the emptyness just above your ears) would fit you better.

Djiem on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, like, a black leather motorcycle jacket? One that fits like a fashion item and not something to keep you from scraping your skin off the asphalt? Fuck yeah, a black t-shirt can make you look like a badass.

Layering is the shit, dog. If you weren't in Australia I'd say it'll be winter soon, when layering is easy and comfortable. In the summer, it's tougher to stay cool and layer but it is totally possible. What I like rocking on these warm summer nights when I want to look good is a pair of shorts (not denim, and not a clashing pattern) and a dress shirt with rolled up sleeves. Tuck it in, don't tuck it in, but it's all about confidence. Aviators to top it off.

One that I'm guilty of but I know I shouldn't do it, is wearing flip flops or sandals all the time. You want something summery and casual? Boat shoes, man. Get some Sperry Top Siders or something. Right now I'm always in a pair of blue boat shoes from J Shoes. Slip em on, slip em off. I get tons of compliments on them, girls notice when you do something different.

Alpine on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    From what I can tell, you're a pretty monotone dude, and you're wearing leather in that bottom picture and it really set off my "trying to look like something I'm not" detector.

Color it up a little more. Dark is fine but navies and dark blues and reds with some black are actually better for looking like a person and not a dark oval.

Your hair looks like you're having a fight with your parents: Your dad wants you have a high and tight and you want to do something with it. I'd really grow it out or whack it all the way off. In your case, I'd say grow it out a little. The combination of having so little hair and standing it straight up makes you look like you have a much bigger forehead and ears than you really do. In the three pictures you posted, you definately have a better hairline in the third than the first two.

I wouldn't bother with any man-jewelery unless you're actually a hippy or it actually cost some money. If a girl gave you that amulet thingy and you have to wear it, wear it, otherwise no.

There's a big fashion thread in DnD. It's not solid gold by any means. (Incenjucar posts in it) but you can see different looks for different builds in it.

I can't tell your exact build, but you look leaner. You want fitted stuff so you don't look like you're in your dad's clothes.

Alpine: Black leather is a big step.

I'm glad you said something about shoes, though. People look at shoes more then you think. They don't have to be great shoes, but they should broadly co-ordinate with your shirt. (which is not like being the same color as your shirt. This is called "Turtle's Folly" by Entourage fans)

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oof, yeah, you've got some major ear-action. Growing your hair out a little bit will make your ears look like they stick out less, and having some hair on your forehead will balance that out too.

Absolutely don't ever wear roundish-frame glasses again. The square-frames you've got in the first picture aren't bad, but they're crooked on your face. Get some stylish glasses in that shape, preferably with fairly thick frames (not quite emo-glasses thick, but solid) to give some definition to your face.

What do you look like with facial hair?

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    His ears aren't that bad, picture 2 is just a really really bad picture. But yeah, hair needs to be grown near them.

Djiem on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also, on glasses, make sure you actually have them fitted at some point.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, like, a black leather motorcycle jacket? One that fits like a fashion item and not something to keep you from scraping your skin off the asphalt? Fuck yeah, a black t-shirt can make you look like a badass.

Layering is the shit, dog. If you weren't in Australia I'd say it'll be winter soon, when layering is easy and comfortable. In the summer, it's tougher to stay cool and layer but it is totally possible. What I like rocking on these warm summer nights when I want to look good is a pair of shorts (not denim, and not a clashing pattern) and a dress shirt with rolled up sleeves. Tuck it in, don't tuck it in, but it's all about confidence. Aviators to top it off.

One that I'm guilty of but I know I shouldn't do it, is wearing flip flops or sandals all the time. You want something summery and casual? Boat shoes, man. Get some Sperry Top Siders or something. Right now I'm always in a pair of blue boat shoes from J Shoes. Slip em on, slip em off. I get tons of compliments on them, girls notice when you do something different.

How is anything you described "different"? You sound like you dress like a fraternity douche.

And a leather jacket on a little guy? Not bad ass at all. He'll look like he's trying too hard.

Shorts? No.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Esh wrote: »

How is anything you described "different"? You sound like you dress like a fraternity douche.

And a leather jacket on a little guy? Not bad ass at all. He'll look like he's trying too hard.

Shorts? No.

On the "bad jackets" note

under no circumstances shall you wear a trench coat without a suit, or any form of whimsical, noir-esque hat, OP.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Seriously, take picture 1, remove the glasses, grow the hair a little and have a more stylish haircut, put on a casual collar striped shirt, and you're pretty much golden.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Esh wrote: »

Shorts? No.

On the "bad jackets" note

under no circumstances shall you wear a trench coat without a suit, or any form of whimsical, noir-esque hat, OP.

Trench coats scream NERD. Along with the hats. You're not Gregory Peck and this isn't 1950. Don't even try it.

Esh on