As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PAX 2008 Scavenger Hunt

EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MANRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in PAX Archive
What's All This?

Scavenger Hunts, by in large, are excursions charged upon unlucky volunteers wishing to demean themselves for the dual rewards of humor and infamy. This one is no different, set in a familiar achievement and Gamerscore fashion. There are 50 tasks to complete of varying point values, totaling 1176 points.

What Do I Need To Participate?
A digital camera (or some way to get pictures onto a computer), an internet connection and an Email address. The will to participate in an amusing event during the weekend that costs you nothing to enter other than time.

Rules
  • All Pictures MUST take place during the 2008 Penny Arcade Expo, in the Convention Center, unless otherwise noted. If the task requires you to be outside the convention center, a pax badge MUST be visible on the participant.
  • All pictures MUST have the participant included in them (or if running a team, the TEAM LEADER).
  • Please use restraint and common sense when acquiring pictures needing the assistance of a celebrity or otherwise well known figure, as they are trying to enjoy the Expo as well.
  • The Deadline for Emailing items to PAXSCAVENGERHUNT@GMAIL.COM with the title PAX Scavenger Hunt is Thursday, September 4th, 2008. Please include links for photographs, or attach them.
The List

1. I'm Here, Now What?: Attended PAX 2008. (10 Points)
2. Escape From Bellvue: Met someone with a PAX 06 or Earlier Badge/Shirt. (20 Points)
3. Metal Gear?!: Admired a fantastic Solid Snake Mullet (15 Points)
4. Show More Gaming Stuff: Let a G4 personality get revenge through insulting means. (25 Points)
5. Konichiwa Baka!: Saw an attendee cosplaying as a primarily nonvideo game character. (10 Points)
6. Need a Dispenser Here!: Informed another cosplayer with a prop that is way too goddamn big. (10 Points)
7. Lightpole Sitta: Stood under a Pax Street Sign. (15 Points)
8. Slow Ride:Gave an Enforcer a piggyback to their desired destination. (10 Points)
9. The Face Metler: Face signed by a PAX performing Band. (30 Points)
10. The Rocker: Played a Rhythm Game with a person dressed as an 80s Rocker Cliche. (20 Points)
11. The Rhodie: An attendee from the great state of Rhode Island, with Driver's License as proof. (20 Points)
12. Here We Come a Waffling: Ate a delicious waffle at PAX. (10 Points)
13. Do Not Trust This Man: Took a picture with EvilBadman. (13 Points)
14. Serious Business: Struck a serious pose with an attendee in a 3-piece suit. (50 Points)
15. Tale of Two Coffees: Enjoyed a cups of joe courtesy of Seattle's Best Coffee or Starbucks. (10 Points)
16. LFG: PAX: Received a Quest from a WOW Quest Giver. (15 points)
17. Pistol Pete: Played the original Halo in the Console Freeplay. (37 Points)
18. Do the Mario: Coerced an attendee into doing [html=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zicIzZbdspM]the Mario[/html], or the distinctive Mario Jump. (15 Points)
19. Found Him: Spotted Waldo. (15 Points)
20. Not a Team Player: Fooled a member of the Sony PR team into holding Microsoft or Nintendo Memorabilia. (45 Points)
21. Chippy: Purchased the a cookie from a pin-wearing member of the Cookie Brigade. (20 Points)
22. Take One Down: Collected Ninety Nine Bottles of Bawls. (99 Points)
23. Always Remember Vault 77: Befriended a puppet. (77 Points)
24. Easier than a Bra Clasp: One Rubiks Cube. Solved. (15 Points)
25. Friday Night Lights: Photograph a FRIDAY only Badge. (25 Points)
26. Strip Recreation: Emulated the expressions in panel three with my new horrified friend. (25 points)
20070919.gif
27. Deminer: Played a Winning Game of Minesweeper. (15 Points)
28. S A T U R D A Y NIGHT: Photograph a SATURDAY ONLY badge. (15 Points)
29. DO NOT FIST POUND?: Fist Pounded with a member of either a fictitious or real-world military, wearing fatigues. (25 Points)
30. Sunday Bloody Sunday: Photograph a SUNDAY ONLY badge. (20 points)
31. One Big Touchscreen For Man: Checked out Microsoft Surface at The Sheraton. (20 Points)
32. Freezer Burn: Did a Team Fortress 2 taunt over a fallen foe. (10 points)
33. A Secret, Sensual Message: Displayed the word BOOBS on a calculator. (15 Points)
34. The Tube Is Civilization!: Safely wielded a Cardboard Tube. (10 points)
35. No Sweat: Found an attendee with a stick of Deodorant/Antiperspirant. (10 Points)
36. Nerdcore Rising: Attended either PAX Concert. (15 points)
37. Kotaku Inadvertantly Presents the Kotaku Achievement: Witnessed Brian Crecente of Kotaku actually standing in a line. (20 Points)
38. Bunny Hop: Took a picture of Marissa's Bunny, hunt participant need not be present. (15 points)
39. The PSP Matchmaker: United two attendees, both of whom own a PSP. (20 Points)
40. You're Welcome, Nerds: Got a Kiss on the cheek from an attendee of the opposite gender. (10 Points)
41. Loonies and Toonies: Collected Authentic Paper Currency from Canada. (25 points)
42. Balls of Steel: Photographed official promotional materials of Duke Nukem Forever. (50 Points)
43. This is how I roll: Rolled a 20 in the Tabletop Freeplay Room. (20 points, naturally)
44. It's All Geek to Me: Begrudgingly shook the hand of an attendee wearing a PVP or CAD t-shirt. (15 Points)
45. While in Seattle: Visited a Famous Seattle Location such as Pike Place, or the Space needle. (45 points)
46. I Am The Greatest: Was the First Person in any line at PAX with a LINE STARTS HERE sign. (30 points)
47. Siete: Played the real version of Uno at the Tabletop room. (20 Points)
48. Keep Your Enemies Closer: Cooperated with another Savenger Hunt Participant. (30 Points)
49. VThornheart Rides Again: Snapped a picture with the Bioware Minion. (15 Points)
50. Efficiency: Completed at least 3 achievements in one photo. (50 points)

FyreWulff wrote: »
I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
EvilBadman on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    I doubt you'll catch Crecente standing in line, as he probably has media credentials, which means no lines.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I doubt you'll catch Crecente standing in line, as he probably has media credentials, which means no lines.

This is the point.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    seems like it could be an interesting and difficult thing to accomplish. I have a feeling somebody is going to request a change or addition to #40. But that person won't be me. XD

Good idea though

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    -Fedora + Duster
    -socks and Birkenstocks

i could go on

Doc on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    FYI:

For those who are doing BYOC, you guys will have your own special scavenger hunt contest for prizes :wink:

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

This is the point.

You would have to stalk him until he gets in a line where his credentials wouldn't matter, such as the Subway.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There's no actual sign-up involved, just print the list out on Thursday Aug 28 or find me for a copy at PAX, complete as much as you can and email me the pics, or a link to where the pics are.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    TacoChiefTacoChief Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sounds fun. I quite possibly will participate.

TacoChief on
  • Options
    SpinelSpinel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This sounds interesting, I think I will join in on this scavenger hunt :D

Spinel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big GuyBig Guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This sounds like a good idea...I might have to participate.

Big Guy on
    Survivor of PAX '06 (BALL!), PAX '07 (Don't be a Dick), PAX '08 (Bad Horse), PAX '09 (H1Nerd1), PAX '10
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is basically impossible. Some of the items on this list are really stupid, and highly unlikely they will ever happen at PAX. Sorry, but with 50 items you are going to have to make them a lot easier. Otherwise the people participating will not enjoy pax, and will stalk Crecente instead.

Edit: Also, #40 might not be comfortable for another female attendee. Also, there is a high chance that there will not be anyone in attendance with a PVP or CAD shirt.

Basically, I don't know if anyone should waste their time on a scavenger hunt of this magnitude unless the prize is a Car or House, and the people participating don't plan on winning.

And yes, I understand you don't need ALL of the items to win.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    crecentecrecente Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Standing? No. Dancing? Absofrigginlutely !

crecente on
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I believe that policy, as done in previous years, is changing this year. I've heard that there are too many registered media representatives this year to allow front-of-line access or other line-skipping, because it would be unfair to other attendees who've paid their dues to get in. I cannot confirm this, however. I would think that his position would get him the access he desires, though.

edit: if he were to take part in the pre-PAX Pub Crawl, you might be able to catch him in a lineup for the bathroom!

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So only special guest passes and above get line skipping privileges potentially?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    This is basically impossible. Some of the items on this list are really stupid, and highly unlikely they will ever happen at PAX. Sorry, but with 50 items you are going to have to make them a lot easier. Otherwise the people participating will not enjoy pax, and will stalk Crecente instead.

Edit: Also, #40 might not be comfortable for another female attendee. Also, there is a high chance that there will not be anyone in attendance with a PVP or CAD shirt.

Basically, I don't know if anyone should waste their time on a scavenger hunt of this magnitude unless the prize is a Car or House, and the people participating don't plan on winning.

I will have to break my agreement streak here, PVP and CAD shirts have been common at every PAX, even the early ones with a fraction of the attendance. And I don't think anybody will take this as license to molest girls. A yes or no question for a scavenger hunt isn't going to ruin anybody's day I don't think.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Thanks for thread shitting on a fun event with your skewed, pessimistic vision of reality. Please take the time to notice that you cannot win now. In fact, anyone else with a sense of fun, and in possession a camera can partake. It's a free sidequest to the main event, and I'm putting up an actually nice prize for minor involvement.

Also, nothing is impossible. Unlikely, yes, but with the list being updated weekly, one could PREPARE for certain tasks.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I have to say as a female attendee, I agree getting kissed by another female attendee is not my thing. Hopefully one of the other line items will be an addition of "Get a kiss on the cheek from a male attendee" to balance it out. Seems only fair, and potentially hilarious. :P

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    TacoChiefTacoChief Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    nemaihne wrote: »

I have to say as a female attendee, I have to agree getting kissed by another female attendee is not my thing. Hopefully one of the other line items will be an addition of "Get a kiss on the cheek from a male attendee" to balance it out. Seems only fair. :P

My lips may be tired by the end of PAX in that case.... :winky:

TacoChief on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have updated the kiss to member of opposite sex.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I will have to break my agreement streak here, PVP and CAD shirts have been common at every PAX, even the early ones with a fraction of the attendance. And I don't think anybody will take this as license to molest girls. A yes or no question for a scavenger hunt isn't going to ruin anybody's day I don't think.

My point was girls kissing girls. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

I do hope he realizes that this will just become a geek version of MAD.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think this is a great idea. I won't be there or anything, but you just made PAX sound 55% more fun.

The Bus on
    XBL/PSN: Chiwotweiler
  • Options
    AliasunknownAliasunknown Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm all about the pre/post PAX stuff, but I can't imagine pulling myself away from all the stuff going on during the convention to embark on a journey such as this. But good luck to ye who do! Actually, I hope allot of people participate, and the lines are shortened as a result :)

Aliasunknown on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

I am now super awesome.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I want to know who crecente's spy on the forums is, personally.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I imagine if he was opposed to being a task, he'd of had his goons drive south 45 miles and kill me.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have reworded some tasks, and added a couple more to the teaser list.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I want to know who crecente's spy on the forums is, personally.

Trainwreckx.

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay, so KOTAKU linked me to my favorite forums. Little creepy.

Also, if Michael decks me for being the ten thousandth person to say "once-twice-three-shoot," I will sue Evilbadman for one autograph. From Evil, not Michael.

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    At the request of Khoo, I have removed the Gabe, Tycho and Big Red tasks. They are busy men, and I did anticipate that such a request would be made, so no biggie. As Crecente has not expressed an avoidance to being stalked, that one remains.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am so fucking in this.

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    In unrelated news, having Khoo IM and PM me, actively seeking me out for the change makes me feel more awesome. I'm giving myself 1000 bonus points.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have found, altogether too many times in personal experience as a community organizer, that getting Khoo inadvertently riled up is neither fun nor productive.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    -find the source of that smell

Doc on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    khoo doesnt want me to get hugs? :(

I always knew he was mean.

:P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    khoo doesnt want me to get hugs? :(

*hug*

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    I will volunteer my services for #8.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Um... if I'm dressed up as Waldo for PAX... do I have to find another person to do #5, or can I just take a photo of myself?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can fulfill #5 for people on Friday. Just look for the dude dressed as a doctor from the Doctor Feelgood
    comic strip
    . I will have a real doctor's lab coat, stethoscope and clipboard.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
This discussion has been closed.