As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CylON!] Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game - Cylon Reveal on Page 7!

AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Critical Failures
Welcome to Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game!
box-md.png
game-layout.png
After forty years passing without a single word from the Cylons, they returned, and all but eradicated the human race. In this time of strife, they must put aside the petty differences that once separated them and focus on one thing — survival.

Humanity's only hope of a future is to find a new home; a place called Earth. The Cylons, however, are in constant and tireless pursuit. They now look, breathe and bleed exactly like humans. Cylons have infiltrated the Fleet, destroyed resources, and threaten to finish the extermination they have begun. The humans have no choice but to run, plagued by the paranoia of an indistinguishable enemy.

Are you a Cylon who will help to erase any memory of the human race? Or will your resilience and determination to survive prove to the Cylons that humanity is worth saving?

RULES NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE!

The game has begun! Board at the beginning of Turn 20:
bsg-game-board-turn-19.jpg
Back again!

Players:
Inquisitor - Admiral William Adama
bsg-william-adama.jpg
Ianator - President Gaius Baltar
bsg-gaius-baltar.jpg
Crimsoncoyote - "Chief" Galen Tyrol
bsg-chief-galen-tyrol.jpg
Rainfall - Sharon "Boomer" Valerii
bsg-sharon-boomer-valerii.jpg
Utsanomiko - Saul Tigh
bsg-saul-tigh.jpg
In addition to abilities listed on the character sheets, the Admiral and President gain additional abilities.

Admiral / President
Admiral
When the fleet jumps, you draw 2 Destination Cards and choose 1.

You control the nuke tokens. (There are 2 nuke tokens.)

Action: Launch 1 nuke at a Basestar (the nuke is removed from the game).

Nukes damage a Basestar twice on a roll of 1-2, automatically destroy a Basestar on a roll of 3-6, and automatically destroy a Basestar and 3 Raiders in the same area on a roll of 7-8.
President
At the start of the game, draw 1 Quorum Card. You control the hand of Quorum Cards.

Action: Draw a Quorum Card into your hand.

Quorum cards can be played as an action and specialize in increasing resources and dealing with unrevealed Cylons.
Locations
Galactica
FTL Control - Action: Jump the fleet if the Jump Preparation track is not in the red zone. Might lose population.
Weapons Control - Action: Attack 1 Cylon ship with Galactica.
Command - Action: Activate up to 2 unmanned Vipers.
Communications - Action: Look at the back of 2 civilian ships. You may then move them to adjacent area(s).
Admiral's Quarters - Action: Choose a character; then pass this skill check to send him to the "Brig". [Skill 7, Leadership, Tactics]
Research Lab - Action: Draw 1 engineering or 1 tactics Skill Card.
Hangar Deck - Action: Launch yourself in a viper. You may then take 1 more action. (Must have the Piloting skill.)
Armory - Action: Attack a centurion on the Boarding Party track (destroyed on a roll of 7-8).
Sickbay - You may only draw 1 Skill Card during your Receive Skills step.
Brig - You may not move, draw Crisis Cards, or add more than 1 card to skill checks. Action: Pass this skill check to move to any location. [Skill 7, Politics, Tactics]
Colonial One
Press Room - Action: Draw 2 politics Skill Cards.
President's Office - Action: If you are the President, draw 1 Quorum Card. You may then draw 1 additional Quorum Card or play 1 from your hand.
Administration - Action: Choose a character, then pass this skill check to give him the President title. [Skill 5, Politics, Leadership]
Cylon Locations
Caprica - Action: Play your Super Crisis Card or draw 2 Crisis Cards, choose 1 to resolve, and discard the other. No Activate Cylon Ships or Prepare for Jump steps.
Cylon Fleet - Action: Activate all Cylon ships of one type, or launch 2 Raiders and 1 Heavy Raider from each Basestar.
Human Fleet - Action: Look at any player's hand, and steal 1 Skill Card (place it in your hand). Then roll a die, and if 5 or higher, damage Galactica.
Resurrection Ship - Action: You may discard your Super Crisis Card to draw a new one. Then, if you distance is 7 or less, give your unrevealed Loyalty Card(s) to any player.
Skill Cards - Your Hand! Each card has a number value used for skill checks, and an ability.
Politics
1-2: Consolidate Power - Action: Draw 2 Skill Cards of any type(s). They may come from outside your skill set.
3-5: Investigative Committee - Play before cards are added to a skill check. All Skill Cards are played face up during this skill check (including from the Destiny deck).

Leadership
1-2: Executive Order - Action: Choose any other player. He may move his character and then take 1 action OR not move and take 2 actions.
3-5: Declare Emergency - Play after strength is totaled in a skill check to reduce its difficulty by 2. Limit of 1 "Declare Emergency" card used per skill check.

Tactics
1-2: Launch Scout - Action: Risk 1 Raptor to roll a die. If 3 or higher, look at the top card of the Crisis or Destination deck and place it on the top or the bottom. Otherwise, destroy 1 Raptor.
3-5: Strategic Planning - Play before any die roll to add 2 to the result. Limit of 1 "Strategic Planning" card used per die roll.

Piloting
1-2: Evasive Maneuvers - Play after any Viper is attacked to reroll the die. If the Viper is piloted, subtract 2 from the new roll.
3-5: Maximum Firepower - Action: Play while piloting a Viper to attack up to 4 times.

Engineering
1-2: Repair - Action: Repair your current location, or if you are in the "Hanger Deck" location, you may repair up to 2 damaged Vipers.
3-5: Scientific Research - Play before cards are added to a skill check. All engineering cards in the skill check count as positive strength.
Combat
Unit Attacked: Die Result
Raider: 3-8 = Destroyed
Heavy Raider: 7-8 = Destroyed
Centurion: 7-8 = Destroyed
Viper: 5-7 = Damaged
Viper: 8 = Destroyed
Civilian Ship: Automatically Destroyed (no die roll)
Galactica attacked with Raider: 8 = Damaged
Galactica attacked with Basestar: 4-8 = Damaged
Basestar attacked with Viper: 8 = Damaged
Basestar attacked with Galactica: 5-8 = Damaged
Basestar attacked with Nuke: 1-2 = Damaged Twice
Basestar attacked with Nuke: 3-6 = Destroyed
Basestar attacked with Nuke: 7-8 = Destroyed and destroy 3 Raiders in the same area

Old OP Junk
The Board
bsg-game-board-turn-01.jpg
The game starts like so. 1 Basestar and 3 Raiders in front of Galactica, 1 Viper in each space below Galactica, and 2 Civilian Ships behind Galactica.
Victory Conditions:
Humans - Reach Kobol. This is done by making one final jump after accumulating a Destination score of 8 or more (Every time you jump you will earn a Destination Card with a score of 1, 2, or 3).
Cylons - End humanity. This is done by destroying Galactica, dropping one of the fleets stats (Fuel, Food, Morale, Population) to 0, or getting a raiding party far enough into Galactica's innards.
Skill Checks
The main avenue for Cylon subterfuge is by sabotaging skill checks. This is because all players contribute skill cards anonymously. To make things easier, the skill types are color coded:

Politics: yellow. Leadership: green. Tactics: purple. Piloting: red. Engineering: blue.

A skill check will involve from 1 to 4 colors, and a number. A skill check always includes 2 cards from the Destinty Deck (which consists of random skill cards), and then each player may add as many cards as they like. After the skill cards are revealed, you ADD all of the numbers from the correctly colored skill cards, and then SUBTRACT all of the numbers from the non-matching skill cards. If you meet or beat the skill check number, the check is a pass. This usually does nothing but avoid negative results, but can sometimes yield positive results.
Human Players
Your goal is to reach Kobol. This is accomplished by making a series of jumps, each rewarding you with an amount of distance, from 1 to 3. When 4 distance is reached, the Sleeper Agent phase occurs and the second half of the Loyalty Deck is dealt out. When 8 distance is reached, one final jump wins the game for the humans.

Jumping
bsg-game-jump-track.jpg
The game starts with the Jump Prep marker on Start. Each Crisis card drawn has a chance to advance the Jump Prep marker. When the Jump Prep marker reaches the -3 or -1 spots, any character can use the FTL Control location to initiate a jump, but will risk losing 3 or 1 population. If the Jump Prep marker advances to the Auto Jump spot, the fleet automatically jumps.

Jumping clears the board of all ships. All Vipers, unmanned or piloted, return to the reserves. Any characters piloting Vipers are moved to the Hangar Deck. While jumping does clear the board of all Cylon ships, and Centurions in a Boarding Party remain on Galactica.
Resources
The Human Fleet has four resources: Fuel, Food, Morale, Population. If any of these resources drop to 0, the Humans lose.

Fuel starts at 8 and goes "red" at 4. Food starts at 8 and goes "red" at 4. Morale starts at 10 and goes "red" at 5. Population starts at 12 and goes "red" at 6.

A resources going "red" has no inherent affect, but can sometimes trigger effects on other cards. It also means you're in trouble. :)
Cylon Players
Revealed Cylons and Crises
Although revealed Cylon players do not automatically draw a Crisis Card on their turn, they may draw and play a Crisis Card by using the "Caprica" Cylon location. When a revealed Cylon player draws a Crisis Card that poses a choice for the current player, that player makes the decision.

Revealed Cylon players are unaffected by abilities on Crisis Cards and skill checks. They cannot be sent to the "Brig" or "Sickbay" locations, and cannot be forced to discard Skill Cards.

Revealed Cylon Players' Skill Cards
Revealed Cylon players only draw two Skill Cards on their turns. A revealed Cylon player may - at his option- play one (and only one) Skill Card into each skill check that is resolved.

Revealed Cylon players may not use actions or abilities listed on Skill Cards. They must continue to obey the hand limit rule, and sicard down to 10 Skill Cards at the end of each player's turn.

The Destiny deck is still used after a Cylon player has been revealed.

Next, I will go over many of the various cards in the game. There are a lot, so I will be listing many here and referencing them by title in the future.

Game Turn
1. Receive Skills Step: The current player draws the number and types of Skill Cards listed on his character sheet.
2. Movement Step: The current player may move to a different location. If he moves to a different ship (from Galactica to Colonial One or vice versa), he must discard one Skill Card from his hand.
3. Action Step: The current player chooses one action to perform. Options include the actions listed on his location, character sheet, and Skill Cards.
4. Crisis Step: The top card of the Crisis deck is drawn and then resolved.
5. Activate Cylon Ships Step: If any are in play, Cylon ships are activated according to the Crisis Card drawn.
6. Prepare for Jump Step: If the Crisis Card has the "prepare for jump" icon on it, the fleet token advances one space on the Jump Preparation track. If the token reaches the end of this track, then the fleet jumps.

To be continued... My brain is ruined and I will add more rules as they come up. :P

Character sheet image links from old OP for reference:

Akinos on

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dibs on Boomer!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would like to play.

I'm surprised characters aren't picked randomly. I guess I'lll go for Tigh, or Zarek as 2nd.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There are some limitations in place to ensure one of each character type, but it's fun to be able to pick your favorite character.

Need to see who Inquisitor picks before we see who is available after that.

Akinos on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hm... can I be Chief?
    I wanna be Chief!

Rainfall, are you going to be evil in this too? Frakking toaster.

EDIT: Just read the support thing... then I'll choose either of the Adamas (no preference which).

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hm... can I be Chief?
    I wanna be Chief!

Frak you! I'm not going to be evil!
    *BEEP* DESTROY

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Hm... can I be Chief?
    I wanna be Chief!

Frak you! I'm not going to be evil!
    *BEEP* DESTROY

hahaha

You did pick Boomer

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hm... can I be Chief?
    I wanna be Chief!

EDIT: Just read the support thing... then I'll choose either of the Adamas (no preference which).

Sorry, I dunno if I was clear enough, you can pick Support (The Chief) at any time.

This is assuming the character you want is available, we're choosing in turn order (though feel free to state your preferences, if the people before you want to they can let you have them).

edit: Oh, and while Boomer does have a higher chance of ending up a toaster during the Sleep Agent phase, it's all random, so Boomer could end up being a genuine human in BSG:TBG.

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Akinos wrote: »
    Hm... can I be Chief?
    I wanna be Chief!

Sorry, I dunno if I was clear enough, you can pick Support (The Chief) at any time.

This is assuming the character you want is available, we're choosing in turn order (though feel free to state your preferences, if the people before you want to they can let you have them).

edit: Oh, and while Boomer does have a higher chance of ending up a toaster during the Sleep Agent phase, it's all random, so Boomer could end up being a genuine human in BSG:TBG.

Ahh, gotcha.

And as for that last bit, I was referring to the fact that Rainfall is "always" evil in Phallas, and the significance of Boomer in the show.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sorry, was at a concert.

I'm going with William Adama because he is one bad ass mother fucker.

I mean look at that jawline, damn!

Now to go read the rules. Err, if I can find them that is.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, when my turn comes around I'm gonna take Gaius. Hallucinations FTW!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ianator wrote: »
    Well, when my turn comes around I'm gonna take Gaius. Hallucinations FTW!

Race traitor.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Let me know if you find the rules somewhere.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    DemosthornDemosthorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If a slot opens I am in, I will be watching this game. This game looks fantastic. Yeah, please post the rules if anyone finds them.

Demosthorn on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Awesome, I'm looking forward to watching this.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hmm, I had no luck finding anything. Probably because the game isn't actually out yet in most places as far as I can tell.

Hopefully Akinos will just seed us the knowledge we need as we need it or something.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor - William Adama
    Ianator - Gaius Baltar
    crimsoncoyote
    Rainfall
    Utsanomiko

That gives us one Military Leader and one Political Leader.

Crimsoncoyote is up and must choose from Pilot or Support.

As for rules, I will give more of a game flow summary in the next thread (after character selection).

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't think we will need a whole new thread after sign ups are done. Wouldn't want to clutter the board and all.

Ianator, if you betray me, I'll totally let us lose in Pandemic. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Now now, Inqy you know I wouldn't have much of a choice. We play the roles we're dealt, yeah?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    True. I will just revamp the OP when the time comes.

Yes, the Cylons will be randomly dealt. :)

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'll go ahead and take Chief!

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Alright!

That leaves Rainfall "stuck" with choosing a Pilot, but it looks like he wanted Boomer anyway. And that let's Utsa have his pick of anyone remaining, so I'll assume he still wants Tigh.

Inquisitor - William Adama
    Ianator - Gaius Baltar
    crimsoncoyote - "Chief" Galen Tyrol
    Rainfall - Sharon "Boomer" Valerii
    Utsanomiko - Saul Tigh

Rainfall, Utsanomiko, just let me know if you didn't actually want those characters.

I'll get the game set up, hopefully by tomorrow.

As soon as Rainfall and Utsa chime in I can make the Loyalty Deck and deal those out. :rotate:

edit: I just noticed the selections make for my favorite: President Baltar!

Akinos on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All positions full? Damndamndamndamndamn.

I will be watching this with great interest.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm all giddy with excitement.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Something about this crew spells 'trouble' to me, but I'm not sure what it is!

I am looking forwards to this. Majorly looking forwards!
    And yes, Boomer is who I want to be.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Something about this crew spells 'trouble' to me, but I'm not sure what it is!

I am looking forwards to this. Majorly looking forwards!
    And yes, Boomer is who I want to be.

Is it the two extra loyalty cards that are gonna get handed out? :P

Cause that's making me nervous.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm ready to roll.

Good hunting.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Alright, gents. I have a bunch more stuff to type up, and just got called into work, so we may not start today. I'm going to try and get us rolling by tonight, but we'll see.

Hang in there!

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You guys can read the reviews they have up on sites like board game geeks to get a pretty solid idea of the overall game flow. I'm still rough on the specifics but I have a general over all idea.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Added Game Turn and all of the Locations (for Galactica, Colonial One, and Cylon Locations).

For set up, can each player (except Inquisitor because he's first) look at what they would normally draw and select 3 cards they would like to draw? For example, Gaius usually draws 2 Politics, 1 Leadership, and 1 Engineering each turn, but for set up he picks 3 of those 4.

Also I am preparing the Loyalty Deck now, watch your PM boxes...

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    First round of Loyalty Cards are out!

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So I get no cards on my first turn?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Are these draws declared in the thread, or by PM?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor: You will draw your regular cards on your turn. The starting player just misses out on the "initial 3" the rest of the players get.

Ianator: They don't need to be secret, but for the sake of keeping the thread clean let's go ahead and PM them to me.

edit: OP updated with more info. I'm adding all I can, but I'm sure I'm going to miss something so if something doesn't make sense, please ask.

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Board near the beginning of the game:
    Galactica
    FTL Control:
    Weapons Control:
    Command: Tigh
    Communications:
    Admiral's Quarters: Adama
    Research Lab: Baltar
    Hangar Deck: Tyrol
    Armory: Boomer
    Sickbay:
    Brig:

Viper and Raptor Reserves: 4 Raptors, 6 Vipers
    Damaged Vipers:

Colonial One
    Press Room:
    President's Office:
    Administration:

Fuel: 8 - Food: 8 - Morale: 10 - Population: 12
    bsg-game-jump-track-1.jpg
    No Boarding Party

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    We also have 2 nukes, right?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    We also have 2 nukes, right?

Yup. Technically the Admiral does, so I am keeping track of them in your "inventory" (excel spreadsheet with everyones hands, etc.)

I'm going to deal out the rest of the Skill Cards since you're here and see if we can get a turn in. PMs inc.

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Shiiiiny.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Frakkin' sweet.
    stop it, Inquisitor, you're making me want to watch Firefly over again :)

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Frak yeah I'm the President

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Turn 01 - William "Inquisitor" Adama

Galactica
    FTL Control:
    Weapons Control:
    Command: Tigh
    Communications:
    Admiral's Quarters: Adama
    Research Lab: Baltar
    Hangar Deck: Tyrol
    Armory: Boomer
    Sickbay:
    Brig:

Viper and Raptor Reserves: 4 Raptors, 6 Vipers
    Damaged Vipers:

Colonial One
    Press Room:
    President's Office:
    Administration:

Fuel: 8 - Food: 8 - Morale: 10 - Population: 12
    bsg-game-jump-track-1.jpg
    No Boarding Party

Keep in mind that many of the actions you can perform are on the locations and skill cards, which are listed in the OP.

Akinos on