As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LittleBigPlanet Thread II: Turbo. MGS DLC (guns, levels) Dec 23!

bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
1lbp_sackplanet.jpg

LittleBigPlanet is a 2.5D platforming game developed by MediaMolecule for the PlayStation 3. It has garnered massive hype and near universal praise, along with heaping dollops of controversy. Its iconic main character, Sackboy, represents the game's beautifully rendered craft-world aesthetic and endless customization aspects, while the game itself supports much more than simple customization; players are encouraged to build and share creations with a design kit that is both incredibly easy to use and oceans deep.

Play

1lbpskull.jpg

LittleBigPlanet's story mode spans over 20 full levels and a multitude of smaller tasks, races and challenges. The gameplay thrives on collection (with secrets and unlockables under every flowery upholstered platform), chaotic physics (with oodles of momentum built up in springs, pistons and explosives) and 'co-opetition' (every bit of gameplay supports 4-players, and encourages working together as much as it encourages battling for bubbles full of points). The flexibility of the physics engine and the openness of the level-editor means that for a long time to come you'll be bouncing over platforms, shooting away aboard rocketships and dragging unfortunate (cardboard) peasants into pits of spikes and fire.

Create

1lbpcreate.jpg

LittleBigPlanet's editor offers you a blank canvas to build whatever motor-driven contraptions and cardboard-box level layouts you can dream up. If the 'blank canvas' bit sounds daunting, don't worry! There are a stack of MediaMolecule created-templates for you to mess up with stickers, objects gifted from the story levels (or shared levels), adjustable music and colour-correction tools. Still sounds tricky? Learning's an absolute charm, with the dulcet tones of Stephen Fry providing witty instruction on the Pop-It menu, and everything it can be used to conjure up.

1lbppod.jpg

It's been called the Youtube of videogames, and for good reason - LittleBigPlanet has an incredibly easy system for sharing content, built right in to the same sub-menu you use to play story levels. An easy tagging system means levels are labeled with relevant information after every play, and the 'heart' feature works both as a personal seal of approval and a bookmark for later use. In the short time that the game's open beta was running we saw homages to everything from Mario to WipEout, along with gritty noir crime levels and bubbly worlds of colour. There's no imaginable end to the kind of content we'll see, so there's only one thing left for it - start up those servers!

Reception

Current MetaCritic score
LittleBigPlanet sets out to resurrect the simple fun of a game you control with left, right and jump. It sets out to make the side-scrolling platform game relevant and exciting again. And it succeeds ... at their most ingenious and surprising, the systems of cogs and tunnels and traps that the Sackboys tumble through are worthy of Nintendo's best designs.
Edge wrote:
It’s a multiplayer riot, a visual landmark, a feat of engineering, and one of the most charming games ever made. But even those accolades are dwarfed by its scope, its potential, and the apparent endlessness of them both.
We all figured it would be good, so the question was, just how good would it be? The answer is that it's absolutely fantastic, an instant classic that actually turned out to be better than my expectations.
This is a beautifully assembled game, with a patchwork visual style that covers the technical achievements underneath... Little Big Planet is a startlingly imaginative take on the platforming genre, and its story mode, while short, is truly outstanding.
You will become obsessed. You have been warned.

Controversy and Recall

LittleBigPlanet was originally scheduled for release on the 21st of October in North America, and on the same week in most other regions. Unfortunately it was brought to Sony and MediaMolecule's attention that one of the licensed tracks in the game featured verses taken from the Quran; an issue which grates with some Muslim beliefs. The decision was made to recall the game from game store back-rooms across the world, and a version with the offending phrases removed will be on sale in very late October / early November. It's frustrating for everyone, not least of all the people who worked so hard on the game - but it happened, it's not going to change, so it's best to think about our long future with Sackboy, rather than be bitter about this short, painful period.

Future

While the future of LittleBigPlanet was always going to be a very long one, with constant community levels injected into every net-connected copy of the game - for free - MediaMolecule and Sony have also promised to keep the game relevant and interesting with new tools and features. And yes: the L word. Licensed content has already been confirmed for the game from franchises as big as Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid, with rumours saying there's a deal underway with Disney.

UPDATE: Metal Gear Solid DLC, December 23rd

3118423695_018f01f839.jpg

Metal Gear Solid DLC Trailer

Level pack includes:

New Costume: Gurlokovich Soldier

New Building Tools: 72 Stickers, 12 Materials, 10 Decorations and 18 Objects, plus 3 Music Tracks, a sound object, an interative music track, and a new 'Plasma Ball' danger element

New Developer Levels: 5 Story Levels & 1 Challenge, from MM and Konami

New Gameplay: Functioning ! searchlight, a 'Laser Sight' gadget and the Paintinator Paintgun, for making a mess and killin' mechanised goons!

Feeling poor? That's alright, because Media Molecule are generous.
- Non-MGS Level Pack owners can PLAY the MGS Story Levels by joining a “host” who owns the pack and play the levels online together. Now you won’t be able to keep any objects, but you can have tons of fun just PLAYing.

- MGS Level Pack owners will be able to CREATE levels with any of these items (including the Paintinator) and SHARE them online for everyone to play.

More information here. Get ready! ...the game has changed.

Media

Making Fun

Sackzilla

Dream Trailer

"Killzone" Trailer

...etc

sC4Q4nq.jpg
bsjezz on

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Future Sackfellows!

(PM me or jump in the thread with your PSN NAME to get added)

cheez - ubercheez
    anti-everything - Tetelestia
    Louie - loupa
    CarbonFire - Carb0nFire
    suadeo - suadeo
    Haikira - Haikira
    minor incident - inter-punct
    AlexE - AlexE777
    LordNibbler - JPBrowncoat
    Radikal_Dreamer - RDreamer
    Lux782 - Canis7486
    Monkeydrye - Sghoul
    EggyToast - EggyToast
    Bullfrogof7272 - Bullfrogof7272
    Six - SixkillerNYC
    RoundBoy - Round_boy
    MarioG - MarioGuzman
    UnderHero5 - UnderHero5
    Dourin - SuperJumpMan
    Medium Dave - MediumDave
    bsjezz - bsjezz
    HaVoK - G226
    JAEF - Jaef
    Legacy - LegacyX0
    Didgeridoo - Dijeridoo
    Crashmo - Beardlander
    Mr_Grinch - sirgrinchx
    Djiem - Djiem
    Spoit - Spoit
    Gobbo - Gobbo_
    John Zoidberg - Stiff_Ninja
    Braintrust - OrangeTroz
    Chance - Chance_Splinter
    Wombat!! - WombatPA
    Ah_Pook - Ah_Pook
    Doc Holliday - buckwilson
    Nitsua - Darkhawk16
    TheStig - czarcraft
    bficky - BFicky
    AggroChan - Sillender
    The Reverend Dr Galactus - RevDrGalactus
    BakerIsBored - BloodHarvest
    Malechai - Malechai
    Bionic Monkey - Xobyte
    Reznik - RenegadeGuardian
    Kyougu - Brownchiclets
    Falsey - Falsey4
    Unco-ordinated - LiquidSolid
    King Nada - KingNada
    ManetherenWolf - Manetherenwolf
    sonictk - sonictk1989
    learntofly - koikarpkiller
    dav3yb - dav3yb1337
    Lacerated Sky - GodlessEndeavor
    Sagroth - Sagroth
    Ziggymon - monsterlovers
    Doc Holliday - buckwilson
    projectmayhem - Decasshern
    bikkibikkibo - DrumsAreNeat
    Gihgehls - Hellphish
    Belruel - Belruel
    orpheus - moredhel
    dachish - dachish
    fallaxdraco - Fallax
    Sevorak - sevorak
    RoriProfessor - RoriP
    Skexis - Skexx
    Lehman - LehmanCM
    bdshort - bdshort
    dragonsama - Dragonsama
    Capt Howdy - KayleSolo
    Tekko - Tekko88
    Lagnar - Sugnar
    dhigh22 - AttackBeaver
    SolidGobi - Gobi
    TheUnsane1 - The Unsane1
    wanthony - grie
    shodough - shodough
    Professor Snugglesworth - SOLDIER
    Threepio - rogerwilco
    unintentional - unintentional
    Toma - Toma84
    Jandaru - Jandaru
    Zorak15 - GunsmithCat
    TehSpectre - TehSpectre
    Crimson King - MattNico
    Polkster - Firerhea
    ArcticMonkey - ArcticMonkeyBall
    SoulGate - SoulGate
    skippydumptruck - skippydumptruck
    Scribemite - Discomite

Penny Arcade Levels!

(Post your Level Name or PM me to have your level added. Cheers to MetaHybrid for the initial list!)

Braintrust [OrangeTroz]: Ghost Light, Half Court Hoops, Thermal Spud

Chance [Chance_Splinter]: Booger of Prophecy

darknessbear [darknessbear]: The Lost Vessel

FZero Racer: Magican Tower Way, Tower Power Rd. 1

Jenosavel [wingedlion]: Moonlight Garden

Jrootabega [Jrootabega]: After the Experiment

Kateconspiracy [Kateconspiracy]: Top secret mission through the core of LittleBigPlanet

Lennylightspeed [Lennylightspeed] : American Sign Language: Alphabet: A-I

LordNibbler [JPbrowncoat] : Mr. Moonguy's Mad Obstacle Course

MetaHybrid [MetaHybrid] : Picture Puzzle

Polkster [Firerhea] : The Miracle of Life

Reznik [RenegadeGuardian] : Child's play '08

Scotty : CrEEpZoNe (final), Cave of the Snow Monster

Speed Racer [Mushpie]: 25m

Toma [Toma84] : Little Big Deadly Gas Fortress, Tumbling Labyrinth

The Bus : Avian Temple

The Reverend Dr Galactus [RevDrGalactus] : Scorched Tanks

The Stig [czarcraft]: Tiny Tanks

Unintentional [Unintentional]: Dissovle World, Death Mountain, Edwina's Swamp, Part2, Part 3

Links!

MediaMolecule's Blog

The Official Site

us.playstation.com Community Site

Okay! Let me know if you have anything else that needs to be mentioned.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Where's Crashmo when you need him?

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    FalseyFalsey Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PSN: Falsey4

Jesus Christ I can't fucking wait.

Falsey on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chuck my PSN down, LiquidSolid.

Also, can we not "discuss" the delay in this thread? If you want to be an ignorant hillbilly can you do it somewhere else? I hear Neogaf and Gamefaqs are popular with that crowd.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PSN: KingNada

bought my ps3 for this (and blu ray), now I wait.

King Nada on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Instead of Mario Party, I think I'm gonna work on a Little Big Planet Party :) Mini-games to collects planets (instead of stars) ... and instead of collecting coins I'm gonna use ... well I don't want to give it all away quite yet :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FalseyFalsey Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just make sure there's no palm-breaking analogue stick-stuffing mini game and I'm all over it.

Falsey on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PSN: Manetherenwolf

add me to the list (and already playing too :D)

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Called my 24 hr walmart, had manager confirm twice that they had the game and could definitely sell it. Drove down.. DO NOT SELL

dude refused to override it and he didn't even know about the recall. I am bitter now

Karrmer on
  • Options
    learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PSN: koikarpkiller

Amazon.co.uk are still giving me an estimate delivery of the 24th. Maybe Amazon are rebelling!

learntofly on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    20081017.jpg

Yea, this is how I felt last night when I stopped by Wal-Mart.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PSN: sonictk1989

Hey does anyone recall any feature where people could create levels cooperatively? Because that would be the shit.

I'm too lazy to pick up my second controller to try it out.

sonictk on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, I'm probably fucking late or something, but the Battles music in the Killzone trailer is an excellent choice.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    sonictk wrote: »
    PSN: sonictk1989

Hey does anyone recall any feature where people could create levels cooperatively? Because that would be the shit.

I'm too lazy to pick up my second controller to try it out.

you can definitely do it locally, and it should eventually be patched in for online too

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Man, I'm probably fucking late or something, but the Battles music in the Killzone trailer is an excellent choice.

judging by the trailers the soundtrack seems generally fantastic - i can't wait to hear it all

in other news, if you're in australia and happen to be thinking about picking up a playstation, sony are giving littlebigplanet away with every new ps3 sold - as soon as it's finally released, that is. pretty good deal!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That'll be nice.

Though judging by my financial situation I'll be getting a PS3 only next year. D:

LBP is definitely a game I'll get once I get my PS3 though.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Walmart fucked up which game was supposed to be locked out last night. The store I work at could sell LBP but had Fable 2 locked out.

BigPointyTeeth on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chuck my PSN down, LiquidSolid.

Also, can we not "discuss" the delay in this thread? If you want to be an ignorant hillbilly can you do it somewhere else? I hear Neogaf and Gamefaqs are popular with that crowd.

If only it was that simple. Blue-dot.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PSN: dav3yb1337

Im wondering how unlocking content is going to go, as far as the costumes and things. It would be neat if it were based on saved files or what games you owned (like monster rancher, putting certain discs in to get certain monsters)

I was SOO excited for today. But atleast now I can pick up a check from work before i go buy the game.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As of yesterday, the Blockbuster video nearest me still had not heard of the recall, and was intending on selling the game today.

I'm gonna call them up today and see if that's still the case.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Lacerated SkyLacerated Sky Cleveland, OHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PSN: GodlessEndeavor

I r excited!

Lacerated Sky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    PSN: Sagroth

Sagroth on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well that little mom and pop place I found was selling them. But it was almost like some sort of back alley drug deal, cash only and no case/manual.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Time to go LBP hunting. Target still has it advertised as releasing today, so we'll see...

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Malechai wrote: »
    Well that little mom and pop place I found was selling them. But it was almost like some sort of back alley drug deal, cash only and no case/manual.

No case or manual? You're kidding.

Chance on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is it wrong to be thankful for the delay some-what?

YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!

Ok. Maybe it is. But Dead Space, Far Cry 2, Fable 2 AND Little Big Planet so close to together?

I'm not made of stone. Sure I could just have some willpower and wait on buying one or two of them.

But that ain't how I roll.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    LunaticPumaLunaticPuma Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is it wrong to be thankful for the delay some-what?

YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!

Ok. Maybe it is. But Dead Space, Far Cry 2, Fable 2 AND Little Big Planet so close to together?

I'm not made of stone. Sure I could just have some willpower and wait on buying one or two of them.

But that ain't how I roll.

But this delay does put LBP only 1 week apart from Gears 2. Those are the only 2 games I have pre-ordered this fall. This delay sucks.

LunaticPuma on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chance wrote: »

They give you the disc and a box of lego. You have to make your own case. Damn, I should have marketed that idea to MM.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    edited October 2008

They give you the disc and a box of lego. You have to make your own case. Damn, I should have marketed that idea to MM.

heh. Nah just the disk and a jewel case for 50usd. So I guess I kinda saved 10 bucks.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    As expected, the Blockbuster did learn of the recall.

Ah, well. I'm broke this week anyways.

Sagroth on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

heh. Nah just the disk and a jewel case for 50usd. So I guess I kinda saved 10 bucks.

Feels kind of like black market Legos, doesn't it? And by that I mean the greatest feeling in the world.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just did a yellowpage search of video games/playstation and called every number presented.

No luck :(

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    LITTLE BIG PLANET GET!

Thanks WalMart! Your inferior information management is our gain!

I feel like I just won the lottery :D

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    LITTLE BIG PLANET GET!

See, I thought this would hold true for me...till I remember I live in the same city as their home office and I doubt the stores around here screw up that much.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    LITTLE BIG PLANET GET!

See, I thought this would hold true for me...till I remember I live in the same city as their home office and I doubt the stores around here screw up that much.

Well luckily WalMart forgot to flag the game as "recalled" in their computer, only "do not sale". Which is the same lock down apparently as when you try to scan a game before release date. Just took a very small bit of convincing (along with help from the one other guy there to buy the game) that WalMart had made a mistake in removing the release date lock.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Where's Crashmo when you need him?

I made sure to put everyone's id's in the end of the last thread. :P

I'm trying not to think of this game as much as I can. It does work.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys are tempting me to go to Wal Mart today, even though I have mine on order from Amazon. I guess I could always keep the receipt and returned that unopened copy after I get it :p.

I'm pretty sure one of the two Wal-Marts around here would sell it to me. They really don't give off any sort of "give a shit" vibe, so I doubt I'd have much of a problem.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You guys are tempting me to go to Wal Mart today, even though I have mine on order from Amazon. I guess I could always keep the receipt and returned that unopened copy after I get it :p.

I'm pretty sure one of the two Wal-Marts around here would sell it to me. They really don't give off any sort of "give a shit" vibe, so I doubt I'd have much of a problem.

You're lucky, you with your lackadaisical work force. Up here in Winnipeg everyone from HMV to fucking Zellers seems to know exactly what's going on.

Chance on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

You're lucky, you with your lackadaisical work force. Up here in Winnipeg everyone from HMV to fucking Zellers seems to know exactly what's going on.

I haven't tried them yet, but one of the stores is pretty well in the ghetto, and the other is close. The other one is also the most stolen from Wal-Mart in the state. I doubt they'd care, seeing as it'd be an actual sale! :p

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    ... The other one is also the most stolen from Wal-Mart in the state. I doubt they'd care, seeing as it'd be an actual sale! :p

"I can't sell it to you, there's been a recall."
    "Look buddy, we both know I'm doing everyone a favor here by offering to pay for it."
    "I did think that was pretty cool of you."

On another note of fiendish desperation, a local grocery store has it in their flyer for this week (for only 49.99!), so I'll give them a shot later today.

Chance on