As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] NOBY NOBY BOY. Update 04/15: Ep1+2 "Oh boy!" "The end."

KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
boy06.gifboy1l.gifboy1l.gifboy1l.gifboy22.gif

Noby_Noby_Boy_PS_Store_North_America_icon.png

Noby Noby Boy (のびのびBOY ,Nobi Nobi Boy?) is a video game for the PlayStation 3 by Keita Takahashi of Namco Bandai, creator of the Katamari Damacy series. The game was released worldwide on February 19, 2009.

The player takes control of a worm-like quadrupedal character referred to as BOY. Using the controller, the left analog stick moves the front of Boy while the right stick controls the back. By moving both ends in opposite directions, the player can stretch Boy's abdomen to great lengths. The player may maneuver Boy around its environment, interacting with stationary objects like houses, or AI-controlled characters such as barnyard animals.

The player accumulates points by how much they stretch during gameplay. These points can be submitted online via a character called Sun to another character called GIRL. Points submitted online by players to Girl will be added cumulatively, causing Girl to stretch and unlock new levels. Beginning on Earth, Girl has stretched to the Moon, and will proceed onto Mars, then to several other planets, each unlocking new playable environments for Boy to stretch in. The Noby Noby Boy team expected players to take between one to two weeks of cumulative play time to reach the Moon. The moon was reached on February 23, 2009, just four days after release.

Here are some screenshots and a story about BOY, by BOY and for BOY.

The BOY, the thief, and the police.
by BOY

nobynobyboy28.png
Hey, BOY. What're you up to? Oh, just hanging around again, I see. Do take care not to get violently thrown off of the world!

nobynobyboy29.png
nobynobyboy30.png
It looks like BOY got thrown violently.. he should have taken our advice. But.. what's this?! A village we found on our way down?! And the elder lady has amazing balance and courage! She is truly the example for older women everywhere. But this sure does look like a nice town.

nobynobyboy31.png
Wait a minute.. what kind of a place is this? These don't look like normal citizens.. it's.. it's a crime/spy/action game/movie heaven! Unlimited houses, cars, bikes, and only cops and thieves live here!

nobynobyboy32.png
But unfortunately, BOY didn't know about these cops and thieves at first, and accidentally freed some of the criminals on their way to the prison! Now BOY is a criminal too!

nobynobyboy33.png
Watch out, BOY! There's a cop behind you! .. BOY learned the lesson that you must look both ways when crossing the street. There are often cars riding bicycles and you need to make sure one isn't headed straight for you!

nobynobyboy34.png
BOY tries his best to bribe his way out of criminal status.

nobynobyboy35.png
Thankfully, the cops listened and he got a job working as a cop himself! Now BOY hunts criminals down with relentless vigilance! No thief gets away under BOY's ever-stretching watch! And so, in his near-infinite wisdom, BOY decided that, to prevent thieves from ever getting away, it was necessary to block all the major roadways with the best option available: rooftops.

nobynobyboy36.png
BOY gets a bird's eye view of his wonderful rooftop scheme.

nobynobyboy37.png
It was a great success! Look at the burning rage in that thief's eyes; he knows BOY is responsible for this! "I'll get you back someday, evil BOY!"

nobynobyboy38.png
"All in a day's work."

nobynobyboy39.png
Another day in this wonderful world filled with friends. Good night!

Without further ado, here's the LP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i58wlCGPNsE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVRTVgtfOYQ

HD* option should be available within an hour or so.
*HD is not actual HD, but is a standard video rendered to HD resolutions for a bigger image on YouTube.

Thanks to everybody who watched and stood by me while I made this LP! It was a long road, but we managed to do it, guys.
Now to find a new game to LP.. you guys wanted Samurai Western, right? Do I need to get a list of my games again for voting?

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
Kaseius on

• Options
    rvrv Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This Let's Play is no-bullshit.

Thanks for not wasting my time with a bunch of "episodes" and "chapters."

rv on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, sweet let's play Kaseius. I also enjoy the not having to wait for updates and all that dumb shit.

Also I miss you dearly, please return to me on vent some day :(.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Wow, sweet let's play Kaseius. I also enjoy the not having to wait for updates and all that dumb shit.

Also I miss you dearly, please return to me on vent some day :(.

I will never return to you on Vent because MY SISTER HAD 18 KIDS AND THERE IS CONSTANT NOISE

and it's all pikapuff's fault

Kaseius on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to be completely honest here. I really enjoyed that.

Mostly, because I didn't know about a lot of that stuff. Super Jump to the Sun? Nah. Eat stuff in the manual? No clue.
    Don't you get a trophy for eating the text Noby Noby Boy or something? I've got, like, three or four trophies I just don't have.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I'm going to be completely honest here. I really enjoyed that.

Mostly, because I didn't know about a lot of that stuff. Super Jump to the Sun? Nah. Eat stuff in the manual? No clue.
    Don't you get a trophy for eating the text Noby Noby Boy or something? I've got, like, three or four trophies I just don't have.
    Yeah, it's actually kind of tough. You have to eat letters in that exact order. D:

But really guys, I mostly made this thread as an excuse to make sure we still wanted Samurai Western as the next LP, or if you gents decided you wanted something else. I may start tomorrow (today?) for whichever game it is.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm fine with Samurai Western still. Over-the-top action, with the carryover theme of amusing hats?

Yes. That will do nicely.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, I love this lets play. Thanks kaseius. If I ever end up finding a ps3 cheap, I know what I'm buying first. You had me laughing a few times there.

"Its like an acid trip or something, I dunno"

"and the house keeps spinning with the colors, and your like "waoohhh duuude""

Anyhow awesome. A+ good job.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    BeenieWeenieBeenieWeenie So Delicious So NutritiousRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Noby Noby Boy looks like so much fun.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How do you eat things?

(edit) beenie, your sig is kind of tall.

pasigsizedu5.jpg

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh, and check this out. Noby Noby Boy multiplayer footage!

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58040

Note the BOYs eating each other, and then one controlling the butt, one controlling the head.

Severed heads from butts.

What the hell. Looks so awesome.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I'm looking forward to the multiplayer update. My kids still love playing this so having multiplayer should be pretty hilarious.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sorry about my huge sig, I cropped it a bit.

So when does Samurai Western begin?

Honestly, I'd like to see you playing more of this.

I wish there was some freeware alternative on PC, since I've just got a 360 and a Wii...

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sorry about my huge sig, I cropped it a bit.

So when does Samurai Western begin?

Honestly, I'd like to see you playing more of this.

I wish there was some freeware alternative on PC, since I've just got a 360 and a Wii...

It begins now! http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=88108

If you're talking about Noby Noby Boy, there's a ton of videos all over YouTube, but it's a lot more fun to be able to explore it yourself. If you know anyone with a PS3.. !

Kaseius on