Options

Good or bad movie? Children of Men

NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist.Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Recently I was able to see Children of Men, albeit long after the release and all the hoopla over it.
Most reviews sing the film's praises, but I have to disagree.

I am not going to say this was a really terrible film or that it was truly a classic, but it did present many stand-out qualities that could not be overlooked. I think Children of Men presents itself with a very clear purpose, and once you discover that, there really is no film to watch. I just could not enjoy it as one would enjoy a good film, whatever one might call a "good film".
Maybe this is due in part because it is such a difficult film to watch, stemming from the fact that the writing/script is so very bleak.

The actors did an excellent job with the material they were given of course. Even if the characters seemed under used and over simplified to the point of being easily identifiable arch-types as backdrops in the theme of such a dark moody picture.

Children of Men has a message, and that message is on everybody's mind in some way politically or otherwise, I'm sure. You read and watch the news media and you already come away with a foul attitude to begin with. The movie just comes out and slaps you in the face with it, as if the viewers were all obliviously living a fairy-tale sort of life.

Technically, Children is a good film in many ways, no doubt! But once you watch it you are left with no real reason to go back, except perhaps to pick up on the more subtle details. Everything else about the film just screams at you for attention, while demanding you become emotionally involved by it. It left me cold.

Do realize, reader, I came in expecting this sort of movie. I know you guys here have talked about it to some degree. So I am late to the party, but I'd like a chance to really pick at it's deeper levels, to see what the forums local intelligencia had to say about it.

Noneoftheabove on

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    we've had a few threads on this, and you might like to edit the thread title so that it gives the reader at least some vague clue as to which movie you want to talk about.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've searched some of the other relating threads, none of them I could find really brought anything of interest to the discussion.

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought it was underwhelming. Great premise, they had all the talent they needed, but they really failed in their execution.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I fucking loved it. It brought a restrained touch to a grand backdrop, and the minimalism and realism made it ten thousand more notable than your standard Sci-Fi flick.

MrMister on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    agree with Mr... I think it was a fantastic and unique film that I hope has a strong influence in its genre in the following years,visually at the very least.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Incredible movie.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I thought it was underwhelming. Great premise, they had all the talent they needed, but they really failed in their execution.

I agree that movie had a good story, and yes the talent was certainly there with the actors. But what execution did they fail in exactly?

If by execution of the story and setting, I'd say it was done very well. For what the film creators had in mind they executed the film very well, both visually and thematically.
    But we agree that there are flaws in the picture, I'd just like to know what you did not like.

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    They never let up, it was too heavy handed in my opinion. You've got to have little rest stops, points where the audience can gather their breath. It just takes away from it in my opinion. Maybe my expectations had been built up to high but basically the pacing was my biggest gripe. I enjoyed the movie overall, but it could have been super awesome.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I liked it. They never got to rest, and neither did I. I was amazed they were able to keep it up the way they did.

Variable on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Did anyone else think that the look was influenced by Half Life 2?

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    yes. very strongly.

edit - even the way the story was told. foreground was what's happening now, what we are running from now, what we have to kill now. The history and details were in the back ground if you payed attention.

Variable on
  • Options
    SumalethSumaleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Best film I've seen in a long time.

Sumaleth on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    yes. very strongly.

edit - even the way the story was told. foreground was what's happening now, what we are running from now, what we have to kill now. The history and details were in the back ground if you payed attention.

coincidence?

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No, it wasn't influenced by Half-Life 2. Both Children of Men and Half-Life 2 were influenced by Eastern European settings, which creates similarities between the two.

Hoz on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

This is an entire literary style. Half-Life can't claim credit for it.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Rogue_KRogue_K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    No, it wasn't influenced by Half-Life 2. Both Children of Men and Half-Life 2 were influenced by Eastern European settings, which creates similarities between the two.

Still. Any movie that is even remotely influenced by Half-Life 2 is a movie to see.

Rogue_K on
    And through it all i gamed.
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They never let up, it was too heavy handed in my opinion. You've got to have little rest stops, points where the audience can gather their breath. It just takes away from it in my opinion. Maybe my expectations had been built up to high but basically the pacing was my biggest gripe. I enjoyed the movie overall, but it could have been super awesome.

That is exactly what I liked about it. The movie was incredibly tense because of the incredible camera work and the great set pieces. It took scenes that could be almost boring or transitional in other movies and made them seat-grippingly tense. It really put you in the moment. Wonderful stuff.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    MrMister wrote: »

This is an entire literary style. Half-Life can't claim credit for it.

I didn't mean to make it sound like that. Just that they were similar not that either of them invented it.

edit - though it makes sense you thought I meant something else since I wasn't clear. woops.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    They never let up, it was too heavy handed in my opinion. You've got to have little rest stops, points where the audience can gather their breath. It just takes away from it in my opinion. Maybe my expectations had been built up too high? Basically the pacing was my biggest gripe. I enjoyed the movie overall, but it could have been super awesome.

The pacing might be bad because there were no hooks to keep a viewer occupied.

There is a saying that applies to good writers, and it is that you should never be without a point of contention in your story if you wish to hold the attention of your audience. There were many points of contention in Children of Men, few were fully developed.
    With Children of Men, I think the film lacks a single strong point of contention. To explain this concept in Children of Men as viewers for example:

1. We're presented with a dying world, ok fine. 2. Now we're given rebels and would-be rebels of that dying world, ok good. 3. And now we as the rebels must fix this dying world by taking the last child as a rally cry for our own selfish cause. Or we can do the right thing and deliver it to the World in the hopes the World finds a solution to the problem, excellent!

For the last half of the movie, point of contention #3 it seems, is completely forgotten! Where are the rebels who wish to take the child and fight the main protagonists, Theo and Khee? We get a brief little speech from the leader during the main battle who proclaims his mistake upon seeing Khee's child, but it is too brief a moment to appreciate him as any kind of threat or part of the story. It is a mess in other words!

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The "dying world" is a MacGuffin.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The "dying world" is a MacGuffin.

The "dying world" scenario is enough I guess.. There have been great movies based around a singular MacGuffin.

So do you think the movie had too many points of focus?

I felt it had too many being poorly developed..

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    there was an argument in the last CoM thread about whether this movie contained a MacGuffin or not, but I can't remember what the topic was (it wasn't "dying world") or which side I was on and why. damn.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Khee's baby is a MacGuffin as I understand it, so is the "dying world" situation.

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Khee's baby is a MacGuffin as I understand it, so is the "dying world" situation.

I don't know if that's true, the baby one. It was very directly tied into the plot and whatnot, and were it different the entire story would have to be different.

the word may be applied too liberally here.

Variable on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I don't know if that's true, the baby one. It was very directly tied into the plot and whatnot, and were it different the entire story would have to be different.

the word may be applied too liberally here.

Rosebud!

edit: Yeah, it's not a MacGuffin.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

The word may be applied too liberally here.

The definition of MacGuffin is: coined by Alfred Hitchcock,
    : an object, event, or character in a film or story that serves to set and keep the plot in motion despite usually lacking intrinsic importance

It is a term bandied around by those in the "film" expertise area, an area in which I don't proclaim to be an expert by any means, but as an avid enthusiast. So Khee, and Khee's baby are a character, yes? They drive the plot, it's a MacGuff...

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

The word may be applied too liberally here.

The definition of MacGuffin is: coined by Alfred Hitchcock,
    : an object, event, or character in a film or story that serves to set and keep the plot in motion despite usually lacking intrinsic importance

It is a term bandied around by those in the "film" expertise area, an area in which I don't proclaim to be an expert by any means, but as an avid enthusiast. So Khee, and Khee's baby are a character, yes? They drive the plot, it's a MacGuff...

but khee and her baby have intrinsic importance. that's where the problem lies.

the boat they are trying to get to, that's a macguffin. they could be trying to get anywhere and it wouldn't matter. the fact that it's a baby and a foreigner/mother being saved has a lot of impact on the story.

Variable on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like the example of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction as a Macguffin.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    gundam470 wrote: »
    I like the example of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction as a Macguffin.

because it's a good example.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    But khee and her baby have intrinsic importance. that's where the problem lies.

You have me there, hmmm.... So I wonder if MacGuffins are an important part of a film, or just this film in particular?

Khee's baby itself could be sort of a McGuffin however.. Because it is Khee the film is revolving around, not just because she has a baby, but because she can give birth. The rebels or "fish" as they are called in the movie, want to use the baby for their needs, just as Theo and Khee.

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Human Project was the MacGuffin, people. As Variable said, the boat.

Gim on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Because it is Khee the film is revolving around, not just because she has a baby, but because she can give birth.

I disagree. The movie revolves around Theo. It's about his journey from total despair to hope at the end, finally giving his life purpose.

tofu on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    The Human Project was the MacGuffin, people. As Variable said, the boat.
    Now that makes a lot of sense

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I loved this movie.

I didnt know much about it before I went, and found it to be unexpectedly relentless and harrowing. I was almost exhausted by the time it finished. Any movie that can do that was well put together in my opinion. I'm also currently living in the UK, so perhaps that added to the grim reality of the situation for me.

I also have a soft spot for any movie that doesn't feel the need to explain things. I know some people hate this kind of device, but I like having something to talk about after the film. It gets me to engage with the material. Too many films these days I walk out of, shrug, and never think about again.

I also think that some films write themselves into a hole when they explain things too much as half the audience comes out thinking "yeah right". Unknowns are easier to suspend disbelief for rather that pseudoscience.

- Side Note: The making of segments on the DVD impressed me too... There was some pretty innovative film-making going on there, for a movie like this.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's really about two things, IMO:
    1) Israel-Palestine...how heavy-handed was that metaphor in the camps about what happens if you treat any group of people like subhuman animals and the mutual intolerance that results.
    2) The problems europe faces with a declining birthrate and a postmodern civilization.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It was simply about hope. Just because the movie collected heavily from real world events doesn't mean it was inspired by them.

Hoz on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The theme of mutual distrust, alienation and xenophobia could be taken from mst countries... Doesnt have to go to an extreme like Israel/Palestine.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    The theme of mutual distrust, alienation and xenophobia could be taken from mst countries... Doesnt have to go to an extreme like Israel/Palestine.

Yeah, I never got the impression it was about a specific situation, but more the direction the world seems to be going in (in the director's point of view, at least).

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I also have a soft spot for any movie that doesn't feel the need to explain things. I know some people hate this kind of device, but I like having something to talk about after the film. It gets me to engage with the material. Too many films these days I walk out of, shrug, and never think about again.
    - Side Note: The making of segments on the DVD impressed me too... There was some pretty innovative film-making going on there, for a movie like this.

Most reviews I have read seem to point out how CoM fails to explain story elements or go further into backstory development; despite the fact they were good reviews. And I have to wonder, did these reviewers even watch the movie beyond gawking at impressive visuals?

If this movie delved any deeper into the backstory and the goings-on there would have been need for a 30min. CNN report to spell it all out in lump sum! I think Children of Men did an excellent job explaining everything the viewer would need to have known to enjoy the film. If the reviewers had anything to question, I think it would be that the movie lacks giving the audience more depth to their characters. Because a good portion of the movie is spent explaining the atmosphere of the story.

So I completely agree, Children of Men does give people credit for intelligence, and that is a major plus in my book for any film.

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My gf and I rented CoM yesterday and we both thought it was great except for one thing - character development. It seemed unrelenting with characters dying (or being removed form the story) one after the other before we ever got to know them. I also felt the antagonists end (the crazy black guy and the white guy with dreds) were kind of anti-climatic. But also in a way that frantic pacing was in line with the visuals in the movie and the kind of world they were trying to portray. I'd give it a solid B+. Good movie, but not earth-shattering.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png