As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weird POST errors, help!

LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, i've just recently moved into a new house and I'm running into some considerable problems getting my computer set up. The computer was moved on Sunday, and as of Saturday night moved fine. When it was moved, the computer was wrapped in a comforter and set securely on the floor of the passenger side of my car.

When I attempted to hook it up last night, the computer appeared to power on (fans spun up, internal lighting on) but nothing appeared on my monitor. The monitor screen remains black with the power button light remaining yellow. So far, I have tried the following:

- Swapping monitors (same problem)
- swapping video cards
- reseating video card
- resecuring mobo (taking it out of the case, waiting a bit, screwing it back in and then reconnecting everything)

At this point, on powerup the computer emits one beep, then a second or two later it emits another beep. I don't have the documentation for what specific type of motherboard it is, though I know it's an Asus manufacture.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with my machine?

LibrarianThorne on

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Remove and re-seat the RAM, then try it again.

:edit: Hmm, unless you did that when you fully removed the motherboard.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Remove and re-seat the RAM, then try it again.

:edit: Hmm, unless you did that when you fully removed the motherboard.

We did not remove the RAM when we reseat the mobo. We'll give it a shot, though. What makes you think it's the RAM?

LibrarianThorne on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Two beeps has been indicative of a RAM error on past motherboards I've used. Plus it seems to be the only thing you haven't re-seated. If re-seating it doesn't work, try pulling all but one stick, and trying each individually.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've encountered the two beeps as a RAM problem myself during my brief stint working in a repair center.

Kingthlayer on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We've reseated the RAM and now the machine passes POST, but still no signal to the monitor.

This is getting absurd :/

LibrarianThorne on
  • Hamster_styleHamster_style Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    First of all, written on the motherboard itself should be a model number. I've used primarily ASUS boards, and I've found that to be very useful. You can use that on the ASUS website to find and download the documentation for that particular motherboard. This can be particularly helpful with deciphering the beeps.

If your video card is large and requires extra power connections, make sure these haven't come loose. Try switching them out with other connectors from your power source. I'm not too sure if your gpu has a plug directly on it, or a smaller one on the mobo, it depends on what kind of architecture, but I'd look to those for some double checking.

Hamster_style on
  • LautermilchLautermilch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One thing to check since you moved the machine is any loose screws that might be jammed under the motherboard causing a short. Just an idea.

Lautermilch on
    Thinning The Herd
    http://thintheherd.info
    An H1N1/Swine Flu Pandemic Forum