As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need LOLFOX info

ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito!Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I am having a rather rational debate with someone over education policies in the US, when all of a sudden he hits me with a (suprisingly well-written and not shitty) FOX news article. Someone else gave him a LOT of shit for talking about Fox news, and he flipped his shit.

I do not like the fact that one person was rather rude about it, without reading the article, but I at least take what FOX says with a grain of salt personally.

What are some links I can use to back up my statement that they have been less-than reputable as of late?

Arch on

• Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    So I am having a rather rational debate with someone over education policies in the US, when all of a sudden he hits me with a (suprisingly well-written and not shitty) FOX news article. Someone else gave him a LOT of shit for talking about Fox news, and he flipped his shit.

I do not like the fact that one person was rather rude about it, without reading the article, but I at least take what FOX says with a grain of salt personally.

What are some links I can use to back up my statement that they have been less-than reputable as of late?

Using Fox's shit reputation and complete lack of journalistic integrity to refute someone's point is a fallacy, which is something you should try to avoid.

As for proving that fox is not news, media matters was pretty much created for that purpose, the fox news section having 112 pages.

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Post the link? It's also possible that it was a story from a local Fox affiliate (as opposed to Fox News). Which would be different altogether.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Using Fox's shit reputation and complete lack of journalistic integrity to refute someone's point is a fallacy, which is something you should try to avoid.

As for proving that fox is not news, media matters was pretty much created for that purpose, the fox news section having 112 pages.

Sorry- didn't make it clear. I was upset that the only level the third person in the discussion could argue on was OMGFOXLOL. But, at the same time I will not stand by while someone ELSE claims that they ARE a reputable news source.

To the one with the videos- thanks.

And @ scrivener- this is the link in question.

Like I said, the article doesn't seem too bad, which was not my point. My point was that after someone became antagonistic towards FOX (and committed the aforementioned fallacy) the other principle individual in the debate essentially said- "I don't see why you are being so hateful toward them. They are a reputable news source and the number one most-watched news program in America. So that should tell you something"

My response was "McDonald's is the number one fast food chain in America, but I don't eat there everyday, and in fact, tend to avoid them."

But I wanted some hard facts to back up the allegations (which became a separate discussion) I was making.

Arch on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    lolsony the ps3 is a piece of crap because of laughing men riding giant enemy crabs in period accurate feudal Japan!

If the article is well written, its well written. If the facts are wrong, prove so directly.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    lolsony the ps3 is a piece of crap because of laughing men riding giant enemy crabs in period accurate feudal Japan!

If the article is well written, its well written. If the facts are wrong, prove so directly.

There is however a distinction between well-written and well-balanced. I would argue, Fox News is neither.

It's the fear mongering that gets me, personally. Otherwise it's pretty tolerable. Just keep in mind all news outlets have an agenda.

"WE'LL TELL YOU WHY YOUR CHILDREN ARE IN DANGER OF BEING RAPED IN SCHOOL, TONIGHT AT 11!"

Real headline, I'm not kidding. If my children were in danger of being raped in school, I'd want to know right the fuck now, not 8 hours from now.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You pretty much get that wherever you go, though. You just seem to notice it more with the channels that don't share your political ideology.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    You pretty much get that wherever you go, though. You just seem to notice it more with the channels that don't share your political ideology.

Yeah, all the networks use shock shit like that.

"This new product could cause you to die horribly, and it's probably on your dinner table. More at 11!"
    D:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    mfroggmfrogg Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

There's a theorem in poli-sci that states people find outlets that express their political ideologies. Put another way, if you are left wing biased, you'll go to left wing sources, etc.

So if your friend is ..whatever fox is, then they're mindset is probably along the same lines. I tried to listen to Fox, CNN, NPR, and any other news casts during elections because usually they'll all reveal different facts and different viewpoints.

mfrogg on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you're really trying to be objective, using Hannity & Colmes and Bill O'Reilly to attack the news operation of Fox News is about as valid as using George Will to attack the Washington Post. The talk shows are separate from the news division and are obviously not objective news shows.

One thing that annoys me about Fox News Channel is that they seem to purposefully obfuscate the division between opinion and news. The average viewer can't really differentiate between the two, especially when they allow their non-news personalities (e.g. Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck) to portray themselves as objective and fair.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well of course they're going to do that since the news _should_ be objective and fair. However, in watching Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, etc., it's quite clear that it's not, regardless of what channel you watch. I mean, the whole notion of a talk show with a strong personality "moderating" the show goes against that very idea.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    If you're really trying to be objective, using Hannity & Colmes and Bill O'Reilly to attack the news operation of Fox News is about as valid as using George Will to attack the Washington Post. The talk shows are separate from the news division and are obviously not objective news shows.

One thing that annoys me about Fox News Channel is that they seem to purposefully obfuscate the division between opinion and news. The average viewer can't really differentiate between the two, especially when they allow their non-news personalities (e.g. Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck) to portray themselves as objective and fair.

Well, considering 80% of their news programming is these opinion shows, then yes it's fair to judge them on it.

I mean fuck, from the second I wake up to the moment its Fox and Friends. When I get back from work, Glenn "crybaby" Beck is giving me my daily dose of crazy. Then it's something - hannity - o'reilly - rinse repeat.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    But at the same time, MSNBC is doing the exact same thing. Ed Schultz, Chris Matthews, Keith Olbermann (Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann are totally in love with each other), and Rachel Maddow. The only difference is that Fox News has better ratings and was doing it first, as MSNBC has only really gone to the liberal Fox News angle in the past two years (and their ratings increased, which is why they continue to do it, polarizing sells).

Again, as mentioned above, people want to watch the things that sync up with their personal politics.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    but at a certain point, when does the media cross the line? glenn beck is the worst of this because he brings crazy little non-issues to the forefront, and gives these preposterous theories air time. he then claims these aren't his feelings 'but america's', and then the 'media' is attacking himfor making outrageous claims? but what the fuck does that make you, beck, you are the media!
    they gunna gitchu!

MOOSLIMS! NOOOO!
    anti-christ?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd like to point out that even though this is on the Fox News website, it's not a Fox News article. It's an article by an AP news writer that Fox has decided to use.

Daenris on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    It's not so much LOLFOX, and not very too recent, but there is a documentary that came out in 2004 called "Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism", dealing with the sort of formation of what Fox News has become and why- maybe a bit on the conspiratorial side and possibly a bit unprofessional in a couple of ways (low-budget powerpoint graphics, using uniformly left-leaning volunteers for watching Fox News and (IIRC) counting factual inaccuracies/times mics were cut off/times the host shouted a guest down/subtle manipulation tactics (shouldn't make a difference but it could have been made more convincing with more neutral volunteers), wildly varying credibility/boogiemanishness of the interviewees), but it's interesting to watch nonetheless.

Part 1, the rest of the parts are up on Youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXNvDD13hoY&feature=related

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    But at the same time, MSNBC is doing the exact same thing. Ed Schultz, Chris Matthews, Keith Olbermann (Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann are totally in love with each other), and Rachel Maddow. The only difference is that Fox News has better ratings and was doing it first, as MSNBC has only really gone to the liberal Fox News angle in the past two years (and their ratings increased, which is why they continue to do it, polarizing sells).

Again, as mentioned above, people want to watch the things that sync up with their personal politics.

Errrr.... Olbermann actually does something much more similar to 'journalism' than Glenn Beck. The format of his show is basically "Here's a Story.... Here's a journalist to tell us more about the story...rinse/repeat rinse/repeat... Time for Oddball...worst persons... here's a story with a guest that usually a journalist.... sometimes a comedian ocassionally a special comment (He's done like 20)"

In contrast Beck's show is "Crazy nonsense... Follow me... The One thing (extended crazy nonsense)... Chalk Boards for idiots... visual aids because this is really all a show... sometimes a super right wing guest for a pseudo intellectual circle jerk... Good Night America!"

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So basically, the right-wing version of Hardball?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So basically, the right-wing version of Hardball?

Christ I hate Hardball. Chris Matthews is such an idiot. Hardball is basically a dumb smug fuck who thinks he's a lot smarter than he actually is moderating 3 other mostly dumb fucks talking over each other and reading their various parties talking points off the prompter.

The only time Matthews ever even came close to impressing me was when he called an even bigger dumbshit out on calling Obama(?) an appeaser without even knowing what appeasement was.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Indeed. I try to avoid all those types of shows at all costs. The only networks I can stand for news is CBC, CTV (Canadian networks) and BBC, and even those are taking on the attributes of the Fox's and MSNBC's of the world.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The comparisons between MSNBC and Fox News are completely invalid. I will admit entirely that I do watch Olbermann but I do not blindly agree with everything he says.

The fact is, Olbermann will report on a story, bring an actual journalist to discuss it, and he segments the reporting portion of the show (which is usually about 35-40 minutes) from the "funny" part of the show entirely, and it is evident.

Meanwhile, Glen Beck is just a clusterfuck of gross misinformation without disclaimer.

The biggest difference is that usually when MSNBC attempts to make a factual assertion, they back it up with actual journalistic information, official sources, etc - and if they don't, they usually say so.

Meanwhile, Fox just says whatever the fuck they want without any such context or disclaimer.

As for the OP, the arguer made the mistake of assuming that everyone knows that Fox is a pile of shit. Not everyone knows. In fact, the majority of people don't know, or don't care.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Guess what, you're cherry picking pundits.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    MctittlesMctittles Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok, not sure if I wanted to do the political debate here, but just something I thought of that was noteworthy from my experience.

I've traveled to a few places in Europe and lived there for awhile. One thing that was interesting in for instance Spain is the skew their news showed toward Spain's agenda and how they sneakily were able to put down America in their news broadcasts by cherry picking the things they talked about.

After this visit I realized more than ever that news is not a reliable source and wherever you go in the world there is a hidden agenda behind what they are reporting. Regardless of if it is right or wrong.

Mctittles on
    I see what you did there last summer.
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    On NPR the other day they were talking about this and one of the guests said 'I remember when they used to put 'Editorial' on the screen when someone was giving an opinion piece. What happened to that?'

All i could do was nod

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    MctittlesMctittles Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    On NPR the other day they were talking about this and one of the guests said 'I remember when they used to put 'Editorial' on the screen when someone was giving an opinion piece. What happened to that?'

All i could do was nod

Yes, wouldn't that be great!

Mctittles on
    I see what you did there last summer.
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My point was that after someone became antagonistic towards FOX (and committed the aforementioned fallacy) the other principle individual in the debate essentially said- "I don't see why you are being so hateful toward them. They are a reputable news source and the number one most-watched news program in America. So that should tell you something"

While attacking the source (ad hominem) is a fallacy, "I can trust them because lots of other people do" is one as well (argumentum ad populum).

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1