Buying a car out of state, and then driving it back?

Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm considering the possibility of buying a used car out of state (I live in NY, the car is in PA). Would it be possible to buy the car and then drive it back over state lines? If so, how would the license plates and insurance work out?

I'm getting the car from a private party, so that might change things, I don't know.

Any advice or tips in general would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Dr. Gero on

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    just have them leave the current plates on and mail them back to them
    if not i think you can obtain temporary plates from the closest DMV

Local H Jay on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Google the website of the NY DMV. It can probably tell you most of what you need to know.

Thanatos on
  • Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think I might have to apply for a temporary tag from the state I am purchasing it in, which is PA.

What is a tag?

edit: the NY DMV site has no information about driving a newly purchased car across state lines.

Dr. Gero on
    edited October 2009
    Dr. Gero wrote: »
    I think I might have to apply for a temporary tag from the state I am purchasing it in, which is PA.

What is a tag?

edit: the NY DMV site has no information about driving a newly purchased car across state lines.
    You are incorrect.

Thanatos on
    edited October 2009
    The linked process assumes that you will be able to visit a NYDMV in order to register a vehicle. Seeing as how I will be getting the car in PA, this probably won't work out on the NYDMV side. I'm thinking just get a temp pass from PA.

Dr. Gero on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can't find anything on the PA site that says you can get a temp plate from them for this. Have you talked to the dealer about this, they should know.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I'm gonna shoot him an email.

Dr. Gero on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If it were me, I'd borrow plates from a friend and just drive it like that. If you've got the signed bill of sale and title with you, cops shouldn't give you an issue anyways.

Also, whatever NYS says is pretty much irrelevant as you're going to be registering it in PA. i mean, if you just want to have a temp tag to get one, sure, but in the end it's PA that matters. Specifically, I believe the above link refers to bringing cars from out of state INTO New York.

Iceman.USAF on
    edited October 2009
    I thought of taking the plates from my old Hyundai and putting them onto the new car. But, isn't this like a huge no-no? If not, I don't plan on speeding on the way home, and the car isn't exactly flashy or anything.

My last option is shipping the car for $550, which requires me to sit on my ass in Pittsburgh and wait 1-3 days for a pickup.

Just to reiterate, I'm buying the car in PA and taking it home in NY.

Dr. Gero on
  • MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You are safer using the PA plates than swapping the NY plates. The first situation, when you add the signed bill of sale and car title, is a whole lot more acceptable than the second if you get pulled over.

So buy the car, keep the plates, and drive it to the first NY DMV across the state lines. Do your business there, get the temporary tags, and send the old ones back to the original owner. That simple!

Even better would be to first call the NY DMV and ask them what you should do because you are picking up the car in PA and won't have the title until after you have the car (hopefully at the same time). This isn't an unheard-of situation; I'm sure they will give you exactly what to do and you can add that to the list of things you can provide the cop if you are pulled over.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
    edited October 2009
    Yes, I figured calling the DMV would be the best course of action, however painful that might be. If that doesn't work out, hopefully the seller will be comfortable with handing over the plates for a day or two.

Thanks everyone! :D

Dr. Gero on
    edited October 2009
    The linked process assumes that you will be able to visit a NYDMV in order to register a vehicle. Seeing as how I will be getting the car in PA, this probably won't work out on the NYDMV side. I'm thinking just get a temp pass from PA.
    o_O

You need to actually read what it says, there, because there are links and things leading to exactly what you need to do. It really isn't difficult.

Thanatos on
    edited October 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    o_O

You need to actually read what it says, there, because there are links and things leading to exactly what you need to do. It really isn't difficult.

Yeah you should only be worrying about the State where your registering the car. I had it backwards earlier and thought you LIVED in PA.

Listen to Thanatos (can't believe I just said that).

Also, GET INSUANCE BEFOREHAND if you're going to drive the car home. Nothing sucks worse than getting your shiny new car in a bigass wreck on the way home with no insurance.

Iceman.USAF on
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I bought a car in MA and drove it back to ME, and I believe the dealer put transit plates on the car for the purpose of the return trip, since they knew what I was doing.

iglidante on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited October 2009
    If this is anything like Ohio (which it may not be), you will need to get the ttitle transferred into your name and the temporary tags in PA, then drive it back to NY, have the title changed over for a NY state title and then get plates.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    If this is anything like Ohio (which it may not be), you will need to get the ttitle transferred into your name and the temporary tags in PA, then drive it back to NY, have the title changed over for a NY state title and then get plates.

Very state dependent. For example, in Maryland your supposed to remove the plates from the car and physically bring them to the MVA (Maryland version of DMV).

However, when I bought my jeep in VA, the state never wanted/cared to have the plates back so I just drove it home like that.

Iceman.USAF on