As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic for 12/29/06

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    this comic was awesome and you n00bs need to shutuop you don't pay for it so STFU :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Maybe they attacked CTS and then he became like the hawk. A predator with superior ability who can devour his enemies in a moment without hesitation or difficulty.

But that would imply that the thugs are like the innocent, harmless bunny... kind of a disconnect going on there.

And yes, the ctrlaltdel comic is a veritable cornucopia of subtlety and layered beauty. :roll:

uh oh call security someone is setting off the pretentious douchebag alarms

Knob on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Knob wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Maybe they attacked CTS and then he became like the hawk. A predator with superior ability who can devour his enemies in a moment without hesitation or difficulty.

But that would imply that the thugs are like the innocent, harmless bunny... kind of a disconnect going on there.

And yes, the ctrlaltdel comic is a veritable cornucopia of subtlety and layered beauty. :roll:

You're right, I was way too pretentious there. Let me try again.

Ctraltdel blows goats.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Knob wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

You're right, I was way too pretentous there. Let me try again.

Ctraltdel blows goats.
    Also Tim Buckley is a gay. The bad kind.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This is a fine comic.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    MindstormMindstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Not what I expected.

Still like it though, it's very pretty.

I think you guys are over-analyzing it, but who cares. You have valid points. D:

I'll just take it that he killed the dudes and boned the girl.

Mindstorm on
  • Options
    sliverstormsliverstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    1. The CTS is both hawk and hare. Much as the hawk appears instantaneously, so does the CTS's violent nature leap forth in a split-second. The thugs, who believed themselves the predators, instead became the prey.

2. The CTS is the hawk, the thugs are the hare. The title of the story is asking us a question: Who is truly the hawk, and who the hare? The thugs believe that they are the hawk and the CTS is the hare. They believe they are ambushing the CTS, much as a hawk might swoop down to capture its prey.

However, the fourth comic reveals to us that the thugs are actually the hare. Note the hare's pose as it is grasped by the hawk- caught in mid-jump. This is a direct parallel to the 'mid-swing' state the thugs were in when the CTS dispatched them (and anyone who thinks that he "diffused the situation peacefully," you are just dead freaking wrong. That fits neither with the CTS or with the style of CTS comics). The hare's pose is NOT a coincidence. Then, in a single panel, the hawk appears, capturing the hare in the same pose. This is where the action lies- we now know that in an INSTANT, a mere flicker of a moment, the CTS utterly annihilated these two adversaries, both of whom were outclassed from the moment they even conceived of their little ambush.

Thus, it's a comic about perceptions, about things not always being as they appear, and about knowing exactly where it is you stand in relation to the world around you: The CTS knew, the thugs did not.

Naysayers: Choose whichever explanation will make you shut up. Listen to your admin: this comic was awesome (I lean towards the second explanation).

EDIT: And comparing CAD's christmas special to PA's makes me smile very, very widely.

sliverstorm on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    oh hey there's that alarm again

Knob on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This a comic about beer and pussy.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    wait i get it see the cts represents man's inner struggle to faggots faggots faggots

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    it's been awhile

i guess it's time

20061229.jpg

Knob on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    knob lets kiss a little

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i think i'm getting pretty good at getting the art to fit

Knob on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The happiest dong.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Knob, you're my fucking hero.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    1. The CTS is both hawk and hare. Much as the hawk appears instantaneously, so does the CTS's violent nature leap forth in a split-second. The thugs, who believed themselves the predators, instead became the prey.

2. The CTS is the hawk, the thugs are the hare. The title of the story is asking us a question: Who is truly the hawk, and who the hare? The thugs believe that they are the hawk and the CTS is the hare. They believe they are ambushing the CTS, much as a hawk might swoop down to capture its prey.

However, the fourth comic reveals to us that the thugs are actually the hare. Note the hare's pose as it is grasped by the hawk- caught in mid-jump. This is a direct parallel to the 'mid-swing' state the thugs were in when the CTS dispatched them (and anyone who thinks that he "diffused the situation peacefully," you are just dead freaking wrong. That fits neither with the CTS or with the style of CTS comics). The hare's pose is NOT a coincidence. Then, in a single panel, the hawk appears, capturing the hare in the same pose. This is where the action lies- we now know that in an INSTANT, a mere flicker of a moment, the CTS utterly annihilated these two adversaries, both of whom were outclassed from the moment they even conceived of their little ambush.

Thus, it's a comic about perceptions, about things not always being as they appear, and about knowing exactly where it is you stand in relation to the world around you: The CTS knew, the thugs did not.

Naysayers: Choose whichever explanation will make you shut up. Listen to your admin: this comic was awesome (I lean towards the second explanation).

EDIT: And comparing CAD's christmas special to PA's makes me smile very, very widely.

That's better. Good of you to stress the first three panels, which I kind of glossed over.

Strato on
  • Options
    GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited December 2006
    Man I love reading all your thoughts about the hawk and the hare. There is some really good stuff in here and a lot of it is spot on with what we were thinking. I would only add one thing.

It is natural. The hawk is not angry at the hare he is not striking out of hate. It's just the natural order of things and men are not outsede that order.

Sorry if we're tkaing this too seriously. I really like the CTS.

Honestly this is why it is so much more fun to imply the action and see what stories people come up with. You guys are awesome.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Gabriel wrote:
    Man I love reading all your thoughts about the hawk and the hare. There is some really good stuff in here and a lot of it is spot on with what we were thinking. I would only add one thing.

It is natural. The hawk is not angry at the hare he is not striking out of hate. It's just the natural order of things and men are not outsede that order.

Honestly this is why it is so much more fun to imply the action and see what stories people come up with. You guys are awesome.
    but what does the dong signify

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Gabriel wrote:

but what does the dong signify

Duh. The dong is civilization.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    nevermind, you guys are cocks.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Gabriel wrote:

They're referring to the edited comic i posted a little bit ago, not yours. It is all in good fun, this is my favorite CTS comic.

Knob on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

I can agree that the situation with the humans is a question of who is predator, and who is prey... the thugs are seemingly tought and dangerous, CTS is (in this story) seemingly passive and vulnerable. My problem is that the question really isn't reflected in the hawk and hare. The hawk is ALWAYS predator, the hare is ALWAYS prey. It's the natural order of things. If the situation had unfolded with more ambiguous animals -- say, a seemingly modest animal capable of fighting back when attacked -- it would have made a lot more sense to me.

But I strongly disagree about the symbolic nature of the hare's jump. In the second panel, the hare is looking left. In the third, the hare jumps to the right. That implies that the hare has sensed danger and is trying to flee, rather than, say, seeing a tasty carrot he wants to devour. It just doesn't work for me as a parallel to the thugs, who don't try to flee at all (or at least doesn't get the chance).

Now, Knob's comic fits the interpretation a lot better. The cock, which represents the aggressive push of masculinity, sees an opportunity and jumps in the same direction, indicating he is not afraid. Instead, the cock jumps happily toward his objective (a disembodied vagina, perhaps?) only to get plucked by the hawk, which in this case represents the uncomplicated, unemotional but brutal and swift attack of a natural creature following instinct.

Edit: Beat'd by Gabe, no less.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Gabriel wrote:

Well, we do revel in our cockery. Seriously, man, excellent work. Looking forward to more.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    EffStarStarStarEffStarStarStar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You guys, no. No.

I see that most of you have not spent enough time in the sloppy cosplay threads. That silhouette in the last panel? That's not the serving lady from before. Trap.

THAT IS A MAN.

CTS killed the lady and one of the attacking dudes. He knew that the other duder would crossplay for him. Both the hawk and the hare symbolize gay furry yiffing, which also took place in great quantities.

Also notice the fur that CTS wears at the end. That is from a dead bear that they fucked on top of.

EffStarStarStar on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Gabriel wrote:

So what was the line of dialogue that was taken out? Or is that "non-canon" now

Strato on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I don't think he saw the hawk and jumped, I think he was startled by the noise from inside the tea house.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Her line was

"I'm sorry."

Strato wrote:
    Gabriel wrote:

So what was the line of dialogue that was taken out? Or is that "non-canon" now

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Gabriel wrote:
    I don't think he saw the hawk and jumped, I think he was startled by the noise from inside the tea house.

I never thought of that. Hmmmm.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Gabriel wrote:

That is rich fodder for hmmmm, and potentially recasts the whole thing.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Bew! Bew! Bew!Bew! Bew! Bew! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    so wait

did he pay for his soup or was it on the house?

burning questions in need of answers

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It's tea.

And I bet he said "Sorry about the mess" and flipped her a credit.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Gabriel wrote:

That is rich fodder for hmmmm, and potentially recasts the whole thing.

Even more so after the, "I'm sorry," info. CTS's face after her apology looks remorseful, like he's trying to say, "I can't even have a cup of fucking tea; I try to be nice, but you just want to make me explode!"

Like Billy Jack.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    There should really have been a panel between bunny-sitting and hawk-diving that showed the CTS unsheathing his tube or the thugs startled by CTS's sudden action.

I really hated this comic until I realized he was both Hawk and Hare. It could still really use that extra panel however.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    framing knobs glorious edit and sending it to gabe and tycho

Kovak on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Manic205 wrote:
    There should really have been a panel between bunny-sitting and hawk-diving that showed the CTS unsheathing his tube or the thugs startled by CTS's sudden action.

I really hated this comic until I realized he was both Hawk and Hare. It could still really use that extra panel however.

I don't think you would need a panel showing CTS taking out the tube, if you read the previous comic and see his attackers grabbing for their swords the logical conclusion would be for the CTS to respong accordingly.

Marathon on
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Manic205 wrote:

I don't think you would need a panel showing CTS taking out the tube, if you read the previous comic and see his attackers grabbing for their swords the logical conclusion would be for the CTS to respong accordingly.

That's in the last strip, and completely separated from the scene involving the hawk and hare. It just feels very disconnected.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Manic205 wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Manic205 wrote:

That's in the last strip, and completely separated from the scene involving the hawk and hare. It just feels very disconnected.

I did expect a little blood spatter somewhere.

Strato on
  • Options
    MadJackMadJack Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Strato wrote:

I did expect a little blood spatter somewhere.

there was a little blood splater. look at the fram with the hare and the hawk. the hare is bleeding.

MadJack on
    forumsig.jpg
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    I can't be the only one to notice the lady's glowing ass in the last panel

you could argue that it's a lighting thing

I'd argue that it was ravaged

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I like how Gabe's the only one that puts quote trees on the bottom of his posts.

Kinda makes me wish I had thought of it first.

Meiz on
This discussion has been closed.