Options

Typing "math" in a document

ED!ED! Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I need to type up the answers to an exam, but have zero clue on how to actually translate symbols and what not over to a document (that will be further converted to PDF). I have (some) familiarity with using LaTex for forum posts, but seem to have hit a brick wall in regards to composing a document for print. Any help would be appreciated.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
ED! on

• Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Word has an equation editor. Word also lets you save as a pdf.

oldsak on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Most symbols are actually in Word, you just have to insert the character. You might also be able to just copy/paste the sign from the assignment (assuming it is all digital). WRT saving it as PDF: if you use a program like cutepdf writer it will just take a sort of screenshot of your word document and saves that as a pdf, so you will not lose any special signs or whatever.

If all else fails you could just draw the symbols you need with MS Paint or something and add them to your Word document.

Aldo on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Latex has an amazing equation editor, better than almost anything else. Just fiddle around with it and you will soon get the hang of it. Turn on math mode with $ as I recall, and end it with /$.

Here's a guide to all the math symbols in Latex

http://web.ift.uib.no/Teori/KURS/WRK/TeX/symALL.html

so you can do something like...

$frac{1}{2}/$ to write a 1/2 fraction properly

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Just download a LaTeX compiler if you don't have one already (I like TeXShop but there's plenty around) and make your document by modifying a basic template from the web, eg http://www.math.duke.edu/computing/tex/templates.html .

tynic on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, the new word actually has a totally decent equation editor. The old one is a pain in the ass.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it depends. if you just have to type mathematical symbols this one time, then word's equation editor is totally fine. but if you are going to do it all the time then learn LaTeX because it is easier (after your initial investment of learning how to use it) and looks ten thousand times better.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll take a gander at some of those links - I mean I know its possible, as we get the exam all typed out nice and pretty. Just need something to throw a matrix in, and some subscripts, less than equals. . .etc.

Also, anyone know how to plot vectors using Maple? Not a system of vectors, specific ones.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ED! wrote: »
    I'll take a gander at some of those links - I mean I know its possible, as we get the exam all typed out nice and pretty. Just need something to throw a matrix in, and some subscripts, less than equals. . .etc.

Also, anyone know how to plot vectors using Maple? Not a system of vectors, specific ones.

http://www.maplesoft.com/support/help/Maple/view.aspx?path=Task/PlotVectors

exmello on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sweet jesus don't use Word for symbol-heavy documents. There's a little bit of a learning curve, but learning LaTeX is so worth it.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sweet jesus don't use Word for symbol-heavy documents. There's a little bit of a learning curve, but learning LaTeX is so worth it.

have you guys used the new 07 word equation editor, it's really easy and pretty powerful...

I type up a lot of stupid fractions, radicals, exponents, and it's as fast as anything else I've tried (math teacher).

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    musanman wrote: »

have you guys used the new 07 word equation editor, it's really easy and pretty powerful...

I type up a lot of stupid fractions, radicals, exponents, and it's as fast as anything else I've tried (math teacher).

Eh, I've used equation editor before and its pretty powerful, but for stuff thats more obscure than fractions and stuff LaTeX is superior. (Hi 5 fellow math teacher!)

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There's an online LaTeX equation editor at http://thornahawk.unitedti.org/equationeditor/equationeditor.php; you put in some code and it spits out the equation as a gif you can save.

It can't do the more fancy stuff though. Neither can Word's equation editor. More fancy stuff is a really vague term, but if you need to do something like http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/2/9/2/2922879252c9d6d8402dcb267a02cb2e.png for example, then you're pretty much stuck with LaTeX.

HalberdBlue on