As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

yeah its my portfolio site... wanna fight about it?

maverickpixelmaverickpixel Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Artist's Corner
was wondering if i could some crit to the tiques on my new portfolio site, and the work there-in

www.MaverickPixel.com

and if you know anyone who needs professional motion graphics or any type of creative input send em my way.

:D

-Mike

maverickpixel on

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You should post some actual images here, and also check out the rules thread. Does seem like you have some cool stuff on your site though.

rts on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh im sorry, ill check out the rules.

Should i post a screen shot of the site design?

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just post some of the work you have on the site.

rts on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    explo.jpg

ships.jpg

MIrust.jpg

smallinfo.jpg

bust.jpg

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I looked at your resume portfolio thingy and personally I feel your portfolio would be a lot lot stronger if you removed all of your 2d stuff

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why did you post this both here and in the H/A forum?

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    because i wanted 2 different things, and i read the ha forums quite a bit.

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think your demo reel should automatically turn on. That's sort of annoying. You can't pause it either.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think you should lose the 2d samples on your site. Your 3d work looks pretty good but the 2D, at that level, just doesn't seem to fit. There is a certain way to sketch for ID work and product design, down to the way the notations are lettered. Pencil lines are usually extended and colors are conveyed in a loose fashion. The overall look of your site looks very professional, however.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    wow i didnt think my 2d was that bad... i guess ill have to trim it down quite a bit...

i only have one true ID sketch up there, i need to scan some others

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I agree that the non ID 2D stuff should go. You are obviously a 3D guy, and nobody who is hiring you as a 3D guy is going to want to see your 2D stuff unless it's really great, which it isn't.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    well can anything stay? i would like people to see that ive at least tried to draw. Myabe some of the more traditional stuff? or just nix the whole section

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    destroy it allllll

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Agreed.. The only thing Id even consider keeping would be the ship design things, except they look like napkin doodles. Napkin doodles arent bad,, its just not professional.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I agree with the others in saying that the 2D stuff really shouldn't be up on your portfolio. It's all . . . very rough looking. None of it looks even remotely close to being finished (well, except for the bust, and that's still rough). It's a confusing difference, because your 3D work is polished and finished. If you don't have any finished 2D pieces, I'd just axe that gallery.

EDIT: your images are enormous. The ID one of the watches on the arm made me h-scroll to see it all, and I'm running 1920x1200. Maybe shrink the bigger ones a little, because anyone using a regular (smaller, non-widescreen) resolution like 1280x1024 is going to get annoyed by that pretty quickly.

iglidante on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    this is a problem that a lot of people have when designing their professional portfolios.
    they get this idea into their head that clients should see that they've tried drawing or tried 3D or tried flash animation.
    the result is it sheds your entire portfolio in a nasty unprofessional light.

when clients or potential employers look at a portfolio for the first time, it's typically a quick glance through of your stuff. so you want that quick glance to leave a good impression. put your best foot forward.
    they aren't going to look at it and say "oh good, he's tried drawing, gold star for him"
    they're going to look and typically say "i don't get it.. he's really good at 3d, and lighting and his reel shows he's done some strong professional work, but this 2d is not good, what does he want to show us with this? what are his aims? this portfolio confuses me, i'm moving on to the next one"

(the last part is kind of harsh, they may not move on to the next one, but it's not helping your portfolio, it's only hindering it at this point, so throw it in a deviantart account and have fun with it on there until you've built up your skills strong enough so that it complements your 3D instead of dragging it down)

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    dont worry harsh is good, ive decided to work on my 2d instead of axing the section... ill be posting progress up on here.

i love it when i get critiqued its the only way to get better. I just wish sometimes people were more focused than "it sucks" lol

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why do you have a paper resume on your site? Why not have it in hyper-text as part of your page content. You could set up a link that says "download print friendly version", but I'd really suggest that you include it as text, not as an image.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    dont worry harsh is good, ive decided to work on my 2d instead of axing the section... ill be posting progress up on here.

i love it when i get critiqued its the only way to get better. I just wish sometimes people were more focused than "it sucks" lol

if you want some focused crits on your 2D, then post specific examples of it that you want crits on.
    broad overall crits don't really help anything, especially at your level of 2D.

all you're going to get is "attend more life drawing classes"
    and "read bridgeman" from the people around here.

which are both good pieces of advice.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    if your going to read bridgeman your going to need a actual anatomy book to help you comprehend the bridgemans simplification

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why do you have a paper resume on your site? Why not have it in hyper-text as part of your page content. You could set up a link that says "download print friendly version", but I'd really suggest that you include it as text, not as an image.

You need to do this for search engines to be able to crawl your site. You have no actual text and no meta data, so it will be very hard for anyone to find your portfolio.

Skelly B on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    preaching to the choir about removing the 2d from your gallery. it doesnt seem to me that you cant render 2d images so much as that your 2d sections consists entirely of doodles. try some big, or at least neat and clean drawings if you want clients to see your 2d work as right now it looks like you tore a page of doodles out of your class notebook and tossed it up for kicks.

on the plus side, though, i really, really love that watch concept.

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    this is small, but the way your images open rather giant and lowered down is a bit of an annoyance. having to scroll around and adjusting just to see the image you clicked.

other than that, what everyone else is saying.

...one more thing, did you really do that arby's commercial because i have seen it so many times and it's weird seeing you here after that

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i'm thinkin' arby's!

beavotron on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In your resume under experience for rhinofx it seems that you typed 'complied' did you mean compiled? PS I work on madison ave too, cheers!

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I agree, remove your 2D stuff.

I really love your reel, especially the composite stuff. There are a few things which could be removed such as the cone hitting the car and that random robot hugging the ring. I think the rest is nice. Especially the robot closing the fridge.

Your resume is also fairly nice as a layout, I am not sure if its detailed enough but I guess if you go to interview you have a more comprehensive resume?

I also feel that your reel might be better off playing automatically on the main page rather than having to click on the reel, or at least make it more obvious to click that first because that is indeed your best work.

Concept sketches are good to keep in but most of your 2D drawings are indeed not up to par, its sort of a turn off for employers because it shows you lack that skill to sketch out an idea first. Most 3D jobs you wont need to for games companies anyway, only for advertising will you need to story board as well.

Leggraphics on