As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

taskeng.exe

SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I opened up Task Manager on my laptop and noticed that there is a bunch of running processes, all called taskeng.exe, that account for the use of a large amount of my memory. Like all of it. I looked up what it is and decided I have no use for it (I'm not the only one using this computer though). Is this really an unnecessary process and can I shut it down?

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

SkyEye on

• eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It looks like it should be part of windows task scheduler, why not check out what tasks you have scheduled on your computer and remove the ones you feel you don't need and go from there?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What version of windows?
    Edit: Nevermind, that's VISTA....
    It can have something to do with RSS feeds, or just schtasks.

Do you subscribe to RSS feeds at all?

Also try this:
    1. Go to the start menu.
    2. Type task scheduler and press enter.
    3. Press continue on the UAC popup.
    4. In the left pane of task scheduler, underneath Task Scheduler Local, right-click on Task Scheduler Library.
    5. In the View submenu, make sure the Show Hidden Tasks option is checked.
    6. Widen the Name column in the center pane. The hidden task that is likely at fault has a name that starts with User_Feed_Synchronization, followed by a dash and a bunch of digits inside a curly brace.
    7. Select that task in the middle pane by clicking on its name.
    8. To verify that this scheduled task is creating all those taskeng.exe processes, select the History tab in the middle pane near the middle of the screen. If you expand out the Level and Date and Time Columns, you should see a bunch of errors and date and times that are 5 minutes apart. If that's the case, then this task is the problem.
    9. On the rightmost pane, select Disable.
    10. There may be more than one scheduled task like this, so you'd need to disable any or all that were causing problems.

rfalias on