As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's show some Authority Love

The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Graphic Violence
Authoritywidescreen.jpg

A book that places alot of emphasis on super heroes that while having a sincere desire to do good and make the world a better place to live in, often abuse or misuse their powers that results in much calamity, property damage and unexplainable explosions.

Which brings me to the series next best high point; bewbies, explosions, people flying through weaker people, curb stomping, eye gouging and extreme violence on an almost unparalleled level.

Most of these heroes have powers that could make them seem like demi gods.

There is:

Apollo, The Sun King
Midnighter, Night's Bringer of War
Jenny Sparks, Spirit of the Twentieth
Engineer 2, The Maker
Swift, The Winged Huntress
Doctor 2. Earth's Shaman and Mystic Healer
Jack Hawksmoore, King of Cities

Additional Members
[spoiler:771c651040]
Rose Tattoo, Spirit of Life
Doctor 3, The Next in Earth's Shamans
Jenny Quantum, Spirit of the Twenty First Century[/spoiler:771c651040]

LuciferSig.jpg
The_Lightbringer on

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Authoritywidescreen.jpg

A book that places alot of emphasis on super heroes that while having a sincere desire to do good and make the world a better place to live in, often abuse or misuse their powers that results in much calamity, property damage and unexplainable explosions.

Which brings me to the series next best high point; bewbies, explosions, people flying through weaker people, curb stomping, eye gouging and extreme violence on an almost unparalleled level.

Most of these heroes have powers that could make them seem like demi gods.

There is:

Apollo, The Sun King
    Midnighter, Big, gay Batman
    Jenny Sparks, Spirit of the Twentieth
    Engineer 2, The Maker
    Swift, The Winged Huntress
    Doctor 2. Earth's Shaman and Mystic Healer
    Jack Hawksmoore, King of Cities

Additional Members
    [spoiler:57cc4d70a9]
    Rose Tattoo, Spirit of Life
    Doctor 3, The Next in Earth's Shamans
    Jenny Quantum, Spirit of the Twenty First Century[/spoiler:57cc4d70a9]

Bloods End on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited January 2007
    uh

what

Whippy on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    uh

what

Also, Warren Ellis is worshipped as a deity in this household.

Echo on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    uh

what

The Authority relaunch has sucked, so far.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I found that after a good start it fell off the rails a little. Well, a lot. Around the story arc with the New Authority I got fed up with the comic and never read anything past there.

A shame, I enjoyed the first run or so.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dude, it's been like one issue.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    bobgorila wrote:
    Dude, it's been like one issue.

Exactly. It was something that should have been done in 2 or 3 pages stretched out to fill an entire issue.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Wait, what? Relaunch?

Loop > me

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:
    Wait, what? Relaunch?

Loop > me

They are relaunching all the Wildstorm titles, including the Authority written by Morrison. The first issue:
    [spoiler:5cd1938427]All filler, with no sign of the Authority or any super beings. It's about a team trying to recover a downed a submarine from the bottom of the ocean. The issue ends with the main guy on the team finding the Carrier. [/spoiler:5cd1938427]

Hensler on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:
    Wait, what? Relaunch?

Loop > me

Everything in Wildstorm is being relaunched except books that are ending or have little/nothing to do with the main Wildstorm characters/plots. So basically there's planetary and desolation jones that haven't been relaunched.

Why they're relaunching it:

[spoiler:6b936b956a]Captain Atom gets sent to the wildstorm universe in Superman/Batman, for some crazy reason. He wakes up in Wildstorm, looks kinda different, and some stuff happens. It's prophesied that if Captain Atom lives, the wildstorm universe dies. So the authority decide to kill him to save their universe. The doctor(III) goes into the future to make sure it's the best plan of action, and he thinks it is. So, Apollo hits him really, really hard with heat vision, causing a rupture in his suit. He starts to rupture massive amounts of energy. Apollo tries to shut him down and absorb the energy, saying that he can absorb the energy of the sun, what is one guy? and is promptly vaporized. Same thing happens to Midnighter and Jenny Quantum. The Void from some other wildstorm comic comes up and sends Captain Atom back to the main DC universe, rebooting the wildstorm universe in the process.[/spoiler:6b936b956a]

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Wait, what? Relaunch?

Loop > me

Everything in Wildstorm is being relaunched except books that are ending or have little/nothing to do with the main Wildstorm characters/plots. So basically there's planetary and desolation jones that haven't been relaunched.

Why they're relaunching it:

[spoiler:48d59134e2]Captain Atom gets sent to the wildstorm universe in Superman/Batman, for some crazy reason. He wakes up in Wildstorm, looks kinda different, and some stuff happens. It's prophesied that if Captain Atom lives, the wildstorm universe dies. So the authority decide to kill him to save their universe. The doctor(III) goes into the future to make sure it's the best plan of action, and he thinks it is. So, Apollo hits him really, really hard with heat vision, causing a rupture in his suit. He starts to rupture massive amounts of energy. Apollo tries to shut him down and absorb the energy, saying that he can absorb the energy of the sun, what is one guy? and is promptly vaporized. Same thing happens to Midnighter and Jenny Quantum. The Void from some other wildstorm comic comes up and sends Captain Atom back to the main DC universe, rebooting the wildstorm universe in the process.[/spoiler:48d59134e2]

He should have just blasted time with his heat vision.

el oh el

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hensler wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Wait, what? Relaunch?

Loop > me

They are relaunching all the Wildstorm titles, including the Authority written by Morrison. The first issue:
    [spoiler:5815147fdf]All filler, with no sign of the Authority or any super beings. It's about a team trying to recover a downed a submarine from the bottom of the ocean. The issue ends with the main guy on the team finding the Carrier. [/spoiler:5815147fdf]
    How is that filler?

It's only one issue in.

God I fucking hate you.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So how has that Midnighter book been?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Wait, what? Relaunch?

Loop > me

[spoiler:a9ebf6e8bb]All filler, with no sign of the Authority or any super beings. It's about a team trying to recover a downed a submarine from the bottom of the ocean. The issue ends with the main guy on the team finding the Carrier. [/spoiler:a9ebf6e8bb]
    How is that filler?

It's only one issue in.

God I fucking hate you.

Did you read the issue? The Authority is known for original, well thought out stories with over-the-top action. And absolutely nothing happened in this issue until the very last panel. They were so far behind that they shoveled this out to get an issue of Authority on the shelves for the Worldstorm event launch.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hensler wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Wait, what? Relaunch?

Loop > me

[spoiler:d83089a361]All filler, with no sign of the Authority or any super beings. It's about a team trying to recover a downed a submarine from the bottom of the ocean. The issue ends with the main guy on the team finding the Carrier. [/spoiler:d83089a361]
    How is that filler?

It's only one issue in.

God I fucking hate you.

Did you read the issue? The Authority is known for original, well thought out stories with over-the-top action. And absolutely nothing happened in this issue until the very last panel. They were so far behind that they shoveled this out to get an issue of Authority on the shelves for the Worldstorm event launch.
    It was the first issue.

Yes, I am sure it was shoveled out.

Since Grant Morrison is known for his shitty writing.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Wait, what? Relaunch?

Loop > me

[spoiler:c3e586b459]All filler, with no sign of the Authority or any super beings. It's about a team trying to recover a downed a submarine from the bottom of the ocean. The issue ends with the main guy on the team finding the Carrier. [/spoiler:c3e586b459]
    How is that filler?

It's only one issue in.

God I fucking hate you.

It was the first issue.

Maybe Morrison's not at fault - the book is now 2 months behind and Gene Ha is not terribly experienced with monthlys (which is why the first year of this was supposed to be bimonthly), and has blown deadlines before. But whatever the reason, this issue was still filler. I ask again if you have actually read it? Because the $3 cover price is charging a dollar a minute for the ammount of time it takes to get through the tiny bit of actual content it has.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hensler wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Wait, what? Relaunch?

Loop > me

[spoiler:7604be78e1]All filler, with no sign of the Authority or any super beings. It's about a team trying to recover a downed a submarine from the bottom of the ocean. The issue ends with the main guy on the team finding the Carrier. [/spoiler:7604be78e1]
    How is that filler?

It's only one issue in.

God I fucking hate you.

It was the first issue.

Maybe Morrison's not at fault - the book is now 2 months behind and Gene Ha is not terribly experienced with monthlys (which is why the first year of this was supposed to be bimonthly), and has blown deadlines before. But whatever the reason, this issue was still filler. I ask again if you have actually read it? Because the $3 cover price is charging a dollar a minute for the ammount of time it takes to get through the tiny bit of actual content it has.
    Yes I read it. I thought it was fine, but it's really too early to tell what will happen.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hensler wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Wait, what? Relaunch?

Loop > me

[spoiler:dd8cdfec1b]All filler, with no sign of the Authority or any super beings. It's about a team trying to recover a downed a submarine from the bottom of the ocean. The issue ends with the main guy on the team finding the Carrier. [/spoiler:dd8cdfec1b]
    How is that filler?

It's only one issue in.

God I fucking hate you.

It was the first issue.

I read it, and it was good for a first issue. Most series do this thing called "setting up" the story, but as you appear to be a complete idiot, I can see why you would not know of this.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wait wait.

Since when was Rose Tattoo the spirit of life.

I thought she was death.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Put that shit in spoiler code, please.

[spoiler:a73c714d99] It happened during Brubaker's run, I think. [/spoiler:a73c714d99]

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know when to actually know when Henlser hates something or is just doing it to be stupid. But I loved the Authority relaunch, because it sets up the situation for us to see a world pre and post Authority. One world that has never seen super heroes and what happens when super heroes are introduced.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hensler wrote:
    uh

what

The Authority relaunch has sucked, so far.

I apologize - I guess I should have said that this is my opinion, and it's not been 100% proven by science. My bad. If you want an issue of bad, "realistic" style art and no real content that doesn't feature any members of the Authority or any major plot, you will probably enjoy the first issue of the new volume.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bloods End wrote:
    I don't know when to actually know when Henlser hates something or is just doing it to be stupid. But I loved the Authority relaunch, because it sets up the situation for us to see a world pre and post Authority. One world that has never seen super heroes and what happens when super heroes are introduced.

I'm actually pretty sure Hensler is Terrorbyte, or at the very least, is just saying dumb shit to get as many negative responses as he can.

On the subject of Authority, I wonder how the new Midnighter series fits into the new Authority. Does Midnighter just fit into the old Authority, or is it actually part of the worldstorm reboot?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The Midnighter series and the Midnighter/Grifter mini are set in the old Wildstorm universe, before the Captain Atom shit.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Source, please.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Captain Atom shit?

No, I don't know shit about the Wildstorm universe apart from Authority and a few issues of Stormwatch.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The short version is captain atom is ridiculously powerful, gets sent to the wildstorm universe somehow, where Apollo ruptures his suit, which promptly kills half the authority, and is about to destroy the universe, but some character named void sends him back to mainstream DC, and uses the energy to reboot the universe.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I actually enjoyed the Captain Atom mini, if only because it made CA a likeable character for the first time in, well, ever.

Of course, considering the inherent obnoxiousness of the Wildstorm crew even Guy Gardner would come across as well-adjusted and unreasonably polite in a crossover.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ah. Sounds like something I should check out, at least.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:

It was pretty good, although it makes the Wildstorm heroes really look like assholes compared to regular DC guys.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Source, please.

The actual issues of Midnighter are my source - I don't think I can post those. And I think I read about the Grifter thing at Newsarama. But they make reference to other old Wildstorm events in the first issue of Midnighter, so it can't be in the new "Worldstorm" universe.

Hensler on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jack Hawksmoore is cool as iced balls. I particularly enjoyed his power to rip faces off with his nasty crusty hippy feet.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Echo wrote:

It was pretty good, although it makes the Wildstorm heroes really look like assholes compared to regular DC guys.

Look like? They are.

I've been enjoying the Midnighter monthly, but I was pretty disappointed with the first issue of the Authority. However, I should chalk that up to not clearly understanding the reboot. Now that it's all been explained, I'm more forgiving about that first issue.

But issue two better hold some cool surprises and some action.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:

I was pretty disappointed with the first issue of the Authority. However, I should chalk that up to not clearly understanding the reboot. Now that it's all been explained, I'm more forgiving about that first issue.

You fucking idiot - it was the first issue. How dare you pass judgement on it? Comics do this thing called "setting up" and you have no right not to like it, asshole.

Hensler on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hensler wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

I was pretty disappointed with the first issue of the Authority. However, I should chalk that up to not clearly understanding the reboot. Now that it's all been explained, I'm more forgiving about that first issue.

You fucking idiot - it was the first issue. How dare you pass judgement on it? Comics do this thing called "setting up" and you have no right not to like it, asshole.

If I hadn't read this whole thread before posting, I'd be really pissed off at you. Instead, I'm just ten times more certain that you are a dick.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

If I hadn't read this whole thread before posting, I'd be really pissed off at you. Instead, I'm just ten times more certain that you are a dick.

Now I'm confused. This is Terrorbyte behavior. I.e "Insult people who disagree that a DC comic is flawless in every way."
    But earlier on in the thread, he bitched about the exactly same thing(The comic is slow to start).

Since when the fuck does Terrorbyte have anything to say negatively about DC? They could make Batman a child rapist and he'd nod and go "Fits the character perfectly."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Maybe he is reacting to Briareos the way people reacted to him when he said he didn't really like things about the first issue? Ya know, trying to be funny...but sort of failing because people didn't catch on right away.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Marathon wrote:
    Maybe he is reacting to Briareos the way people reacted to him when he said he didn't really like things about the first issue? Ya know, trying to be funny...but sort of failing because people didn't catch on right away.

Sort of failing because how he was acting and what Briareos said were two completely different instances.

The Muffin Man, this is what's known as a paradigm shift. Your world has changed. Now, the soviet union won the spacerace, McKinley was never shot, but instead shot Franz Ferdinand, starting World War -I, and Terrorbyte is named Hensler and now hates DC.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's all one person. There can be only one.

You know, like that other guy.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On Outer Dark

[spoiler:91a323cc17]
    I can stretch my imagination so far that I can accept that God would be a flying pyramid the size of the moon who requires an utterly hostile environment to live.

But the Earth was referred to as his retirement home and that doesn't click with me, how the hell does a being the size of our moon rest or use the planet? Does he like take his slippers off and crashes into the planet's surface for a long nap?
    [/spoiler:91a323cc17]

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg