As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wave] Gaming on the Google webs

DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Critical Failures
wave_logo.jpg

Invites for Google Wave have been spotted in the wild and quite a few of us have nabbed one. Some of us have invites to share.

In this thread we discuss the prospect of gaming on the Wave, and try to organize some games.

Post if you:

• Are on the wave
  • Want to run a game
  • Want to play in a game
  • Found an interesting Gadget or Robot for gaming on the Wave

I got my Wave account a few days ago and would love to get involved as a player.

If you need a Wave invite, see the link to Mr_Rose's thread below.

Critical Hits has a Wave! - you can find it here
https://wave.google.com/wave/#restored:wave:googlewave.com!w%252BQdnxjXEyA

Critical Wavers - all accounts are @googlewave.com

Forum name (google wave account)
Dortmunder (aaron.brennan)
Mike Danger (thisismikedanger)
Tofystedeth (nancedr)
belligerent (wertheim180)
cytorak (twelvesouth)
nimrod108 (bnunes)
Zetetic Elench (bgrandis)
nefffffffffff (jordan.neff)
Nihuacatelco (andresbenitez)
Darian (wbmyers)
Johnny Skins (JohnJSkonieczny)
summeryclept (amazingrobots)
Delmain (joe.lunder)
UEAKCrash (UEAK.LSN.Crash)
Sevorak (sevorak)
SkyCaptain (der.kartographer)
IAmUnaware (IAmUnaware)
simonwolf (okami.itto)
TheBog (BogThe)
illgottengains (dirtybootsya)
TheLawinator (chris.ryan.brown)
trebalicious (sixtimesseven)
Fencingsax (christocbd)
kuhlmeye (kyle.uhlmeyer)
Infidel (dmajor)
interrobang (unsanmusyo)

Gadgets & Robots

Dicy - the dice rolling robot - source
Add dice-y@appspot.com to your Wave (as a contact).

Random Lee - another dice rolling robot - http://randomleetwenty.appspot.com/
Add randomleetwenty@appspot.com as a contact to your wave.

Wave Dice Gadget - a dice rolling gadget - source
http://wavedicegadget.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/manifest.xml

Vector Editor - can be used for tactical maps - http://code.google.com/p/jsvectoreditor/
http://jsvectoreditor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/wave/manifest.xml

How do I install an extension?
  1. Click on All, choose the Extension Gallery, scroll down to the bottom and install the "Extension Installer".
  2. Back in your inbox, click the drop down on New Wave, and choose New Extension Installer.
  3. Paste in the extension's url.
  4. Hit Ok. You're done! You can now add your gadget/extension to any wave just by clicking on the appropriate icon.

Useful Links

Login
http://wave.google.com

About
http://wave.google.com/help/wave/about.html

Mr_Rose's Wave thread @ Moe's
<
READ THE OP TO GET A WAVE INVITE
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=96191

Playing on a Wave
http://gameplaywright.net/?p=1019

Ars Technica article
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/10/google-wave-we-came-we-saw-we-played-dd.ars

steam_sig.png
Dortmunder on

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I do not have an invite yet, but if I were to get one, I would be interested in running a game on it. Seems fascinating.

belligerent on
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, a Wave invite would be like a delicious cake.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    YES. Finally someone makes the thread!

And it didn't have to be me!

I am both on Wave and would love to help test formats and so on. Because of how much anyone can edit anything, structure will probably be really important.

My advice: make as much as possible collapsible. Navigating big waves can be a real bitch.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm on Wave and am down for whatever (thisismikedanger@googlewave.com).

Perhaps a link to the main Wave thread in Moe's is in order?

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have wave and am quite interested in seeing what we can do with it. Don't have any invites myself though.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have a couple of invites left, belligerent and Saurfang. PM me your addys.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have several wave invites available, from various people, on account of running the generic Wave thread over in Moe's. Instructions for getting one are in the OP under "How I mine for invites?"

Also, yes I have wave...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Updated OP with instructions for Dicy and the Wave Dice Gadget. Essential for all our gaming needs :p

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Need an invite! Hopefully someone will make a Maptools like widget soon. Then it'll truly be awesome.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sure would love an invite. I have these things to trade for it:
    1. hug dollars

that's it.

It seems though that it wouldn't be much more than IRC and a forum run at the same time. How much better would Wave be for this type of thing?

summeryclept on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I signed up for a Wave invite a while ago but haven't gotten one yet. I don't particularly want to game on or through Wave - I like the forum and community here.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Certainly I don't think anyone here wants to pull away from the forum community - but Wave has a lot of tools that might make it a better contender for some IC PbPs, leaving the threads here for table-talk and so on.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd be definitely interested in using Wave to run games of things - I imagine it'd work better for some systems than others, with narrative/dice-light games working better. I saw a screenshot of someone running Mouse Guard on it, once, which seems delightful.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I'd be definitely interested in using Wave to run games of things - I imagine it'd work better for some systems than others, with narrative/dice-light games working better. I saw a screenshot of someone running Mouse Guard on it, once, which seems delightful.

Did you know: I was planning on running just such a game! But here.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Summery if you were anywhere near me geographically I would be giving you a thousand hug dollars

simonwolf on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Saurfang wrote: »
    Oh man, a Wave invite would be like a delicious cake.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dortmunder wrote: »
    Updated OP with instructions for Dicy and the Wave Dice Gadget. Essential for all our gaming needs :p
    Could you add something like "<-- Read the OP to get an invite" next to the link to the Wave thread in Moe's? ;)

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Summery if you were anywhere near me geographically I would be giving you a thousand hug dollars

Yes.

If MG showed up in some form here or on a Wave I would apply so fast.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Could you add something like "<-- Read the OP to get an invite" next to the link to the Wave thread in Moe's? ;)

Conga lines are such a hassle

:p

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If there are still spare invites available I would love one at my forum name at gmail dot com.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Conga lines are such a hassle

:p

It was until I just flat out told everyone that if they couldn't parse a simple one-line instruction they probably couldn't get much out of Wave anyway and ignored everyone that didn't get it.:winky:

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    From what I understand (not very much tbh) it would be technically possible to implement Waves into a vBulletin forum, such as this one.

Trying to see if there's any word of this on the official vBulletin forums...

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    By design it seems to cast a really wide net, so if not at launch I would be surprised if that didn't soon follow.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Once I manage to get a wave invite, I'm definitely down for some gaming through it. In the meantime, I'll just look on in envy.

Darian on
  • Options
    Woohoo CthulhuWoohoo Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I will run any game anyone wants on Wave if they can get me an invite.

Woohoo Cthulhu on
    I err on the side of awesome.
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If there are any Wave invites left, I would like one!

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I will run any game anyone wants on Wave if they can get me an invite.

Do you promise to run a game of F.A.T.A.L. if you get a Wave invite

If so, this man should get one immediately after me

simonwolf on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm probably going to be switching my Hunter game over to Wave, and then the game after that is Eberron- though I'd like to do a couple of one-shots first just to get the format down.

I can't seem to get the dice roller to install.

Also, this article: http://gameplaywright.net/?p=1019 has proven very helpful to me. I tried out the "screenplay format" with one of my players today and it worked very well; you end up with a perfectly readable narrative as well that can just be copy & pasted for actual play reports and logs and such. I recommend sticking it in the OP since it is the only article on Wave gaming specifically I've seen. We also tried just using it like chat and it really didn't work; using a single wave for each session and a wave-branch for each "scene" and a separate wave for campaign details, logs and characters worked very well for our test game.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That article is excellent. Sounds like a really good approach.

The only adjustment I'd make is that it sounds like players are supposed to edit the OB rather than make blips inside it at the indicated points. I think creating blips inside each player indication is best; it would make it more immediately clear who posted what, where.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I just ordered a copy of Montsegur 1244 and carry: a game about war specifically so I could run games of them through Wave.

Don't disappoint me

simonwolf on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would be so in for a PbP on Wave. I just signed up for an invite, so I'll drop a line here when I get one.

Delmain on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've personally been using Random Lee (http://randomleetwenty.appspot.com/) for dice rolls. I guess I'll check out this other one as well.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've personally been using Random Lee (http://randomleetwenty.appspot.com/) for dice rolls. I guess I'll check out this other one as well.

Let's get Infidel an account so he can port Critical!

=P

Delmain on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    On the whole tactical thing. I suppose for now, the easiest thing would be for the DM to use screenshots of the 'field' using whatever program he uses (map tools, whatever) and just repost the screenshot with whatever updates. I don't think it will be too long before some sort of simple gadget is added that functions like a simple map that users can move their pieces.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Correction to my earlier posts: if/when I get on Wave, the very first game I'll run will be The Mountain Witch.

That game doesn't get enough love.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm really interested in getting involved in some kind of PbP on Wave, but probably not a D&D type thing with characters and stuff, maybe some kind of board game (BSG might work well...)

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I'm really interested in getting involved in some kind of PbP on Wave, but probably not a D&D type thing with characters and stuff, maybe some kind of board game (BSG might work well...)

The capacity for slips while live-typing would be hilariously high.

"Move to Cylon Fleet no wait Colonial One dammit you didn't see that"

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That article is excellent. Sounds like a really good approach.

The only adjustment I'd make is that it sounds like players are supposed to edit the OB rather than make blips inside it at the indicated points. I think creating blips inside each player indication is best; it would make it more immediately clear who posted what, where.

Yeah we tried that first, but it ends up getting really unwieldy. But I have a nice, small group, so it's not necessarily that useful to know who posted what as long as I know what the characters are doing.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    OP updated with those links. Also clarified that people looking for a Wave invite should check out Mr_Rose's thread.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hm. I wish there was a nice combination of Dicey and Random Lee. Dicey lets you see the rolls before you "Done" the blip, whereas with Random Lee, you have to make the rolls, click done, then go back and edit the post to write any narrative. It is, however, nice because it has the >= syntaxes.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776