As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Game Podcasts] - New 'Out of the Game' is actually.. out?

• Options
    ZegunaZeguna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Which episodes of Giant Bombcast should I download? I'm downloading the most recent one, but are there any others that I should listen to?

Zeguna on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, this week’s episode is gigantic. You’ve picked an interesting place to start.

I don’t know if there’s any particular episodes worth pointing out. They’ve been pretty consistent for a while now.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Look out for Geekbox and Gamespy Debriefings - They've become the 'let's defend our journalistic integrity because the mean internet people on dirty internet forums don't like what we say'. Podcasts do this far too often.

To be fair to Anthony Gallegos and Ryan Scott, the comments on GameSpy's content are borderline GameFAQs retarded. If I were them, I'd completely disown their community. Though, I do agree they should just disregard all that stupidity and get on with more traditional content (uh...covering actual games).

As for my preferred gaming podcasts: Out of the Game, Totally Rad Show, RebelFM, The Geek Box, Giant Bomb... blah blah blah, the same as everyone else. I can't get into 4Guys1Up, and Giant Bombcast gets on my nerves when they talk about PC gaming...but, the chemistry / dynamics between the Bombcast guys is better than in any other podcast).

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I appreciate trying to deviate from the standard videogame podcast formula with 4 Guys 1 Up, by having the bulk of the show be a lengthy interview with someone in the industry, but more times than not it's about something really boring.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Operator-C wrote: »
    Look out for Geekbox and Gamespy Debriefings - They've become the 'let's defend our journalistic integrity because the mean internet people on dirty internet forums don't like what we say'. Podcasts do this far too often.

To be fair to Anthony Gallegos and Ryan Scott, the comments on GameSpy's content are borderline GameFAQs retarded. If I were them, I'd completely disown their community. Though, I do agree they should just disregard all that stupidity and get on with more traditional content (uh...covering actual games).

As for my preferred gaming podcasts: Out of the Game, Totally Rad Show, RebelFM, The Geek Box, Giant Bomb... blah blah blah, the same as everyone else. I can't get into 4Guys1Up, and Giant Bombcast gets on my nerves when they talk about PC gaming...but, the chemistry / dynamics between the Bombcast guys is better than in any other podcast).

Maybe I have a tough skin from listening to every. single. person. on 1up yours constantly bag on PC gaming whenever it was brought up, but what was wrong with Giantbomb? (wrt PC gaming).

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't stand 4 guys 1 up. It's a good idea, but in practice it is just boring as hell, and David Ellis is a terrible host. Only good thing that came out of the 1up reshuffling was another Jeremy Parish podcast.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Operator-C wrote: »

Maybe I have a tough skin from listening to every. single. person. on 1up yours constantly bag on PC gaming whenever it was brought up, but what was wrong with Giantbomb? (wrt PC gaming).
    There's nothing wrong with the bombcast guys, but they're decidedly console people, and they have the tendency to completely misunderstand (and occasionally dismiss) PC-centric game design and the general mindset of PC-oriented gamers. As much as I like Jeff, he's probably the worst about it, if only because he's usually the most outspoken. None of them dislike the PC. They just don't quite seem to grasp what it's about. I tend to be delighted any time Dave turns up because that guy gets it in a way that the rest of the crew doesn't seem to be capable of.

Monger on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The only time I've seen them dismissive of that particular mindset was with the whole MW2 dedicated servers thing

And that whole topic is annoying whiny bullshit, so I'm glad they dismissed it quickly

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Why in the hell isn't the Gamercast Network: Video Game Show not in the OP?

A 30 minute weekly podcast featuring 3-5 regular dudes who like video games. Focuses on all platforms and genres. I have been listening to this show for years and it is by far my favorite podcast.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Zeguna wrote: »
    Which episodes of Giant Bombcast should I download? I'm downloading the most recent one, but are there any others that I should listen to?

They're usually pretty good, but here's one of my favorite moments in Giant Bombcast history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFXU9u6TJ5k

SteevL on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The only time I've seen them dismissive of that particular mindset was with the whole MW2 dedicated servers thing

And that whole topic is annoying whiny bullshit, so I'm glad they dismissed it quickly

Even GwJ, which is pretty much the most PC sympathetic general gaming podcast dismissed completely. The only podcast I even remember spending more than a minute on it was PC gamer

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

That was less about dismissing PC gamers and more about dismissing dipshits, though. Which is great.

I'm talking more about the kind of muffled groans that come out (from Jeff and Ryan in particular) when games like (recently) Zeno Clash and Cryostasis come up. Not big overt tirades or anything. Just subtle little indications that it's not something they're a part of, or want to be. I don't know. I just find it kind of irritating to notice about a bunch of otherwise charismatic, insightful individuals.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SteevL wrote: »

They're usually pretty good, but here's one of my favorite moments in Giant Bombcast history:

*Video*

This right here was a defining moment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOI4XJecOc0

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

*Video*

Aw I was just gonna post this. It was the best thing.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Those guys have a lot of recurring jokes. Most of them get a little less amusing every time they're referenced, and eventually will die, probably for the best.

Not never girl. Never girl is eternal.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    They do keep a couple of verbal traits around, and I like it. Gives it a bit more personality.

I smile whenever someone mentions the recession, "Oh, you mean the economic downturn?"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

*Video*

This is what got me to go to Giant Bomb in the first place

I was not disappointed!

Also this old Bombcast from 10-13-09 is probably one of the better ones (with the two guests who are sort of drunk and telling hilarious stories) so everyone should probably listen to that

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes, John Vignocchi/Adam Boyes Oct. 13th Episode, and Finale '09 E3 podcast are golden. Episode where GRIN developers come around from Sweden or whateverscandinavia is pretty good, but you can youtube the candy tasting to get the best parts (there's more than what Unbreakable posted).

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't remember the date, but there was an episode of the Bombcast where they were talking about Milo and using these hilarious accents and it had me in tears. It was probably shortly after E3 or whenever it was that Natal was announced.

Also, Peter Molyneaux's balls.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    elevature wrote: »
    I can't remember the date, but there was an episode of the Bombcast where they were talking about Milo and using these hilarious accents and it had me in tears. It was probably shortly after E3 or whenever it was that Natal was announced.

"Muh balls"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A recent Bombcast moment that I loved:

THOR ODINSON
    elevature wrote: »

"Muh balls"

you mean THIS

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

I just came to post that. It is still so funny even though I've heard it before.

elevature on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFXU9u6TJ5k

DJ Ungelvral in the house! :lol:

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes, John Vignocchi/Adam Boyes Oct. 13th Episode, and Finale '09 E3 podcast are golden. Episode where GRIN developers come around from Sweden or whateverscandinavia is pretty good, but you can youtube the candy tasting to get the best parts (there's more than what Unbreakable posted).

That John Vignocchi episode was goddamn awful. The Midway guy right? He was a loud, obnoxious douche and I could barely stomach getting through that episode.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    To be fair I got the distinct impression he was kind of plastered

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You're a bad person.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    While the Giant Bomb quick looks are often hilarious I think it should be noted they are one of the best ways to tell if you'll actually like a game aside from actually playing it. Crap is quickly identified as such.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    While the Giant Bomb quick looks are often hilarious I think it should be noted they are one of the best ways to tell if you'll actually like a game aside from actually playing it. Crap is quickly identified as such.

To be fair, people here seem to love that Demon's Souls and that seemed to be a QL where Jeff and Ryan were just dumbfounded that anyone could find this fun.

Cryostasis too, which they seemed to be sort of mocking for its slow ass pace. Even though the game is supposed to be good (and ended up getting a good review anyway, even if not from Ryan and Jeff).

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cryostasis looked pretty cool to me, I am eagerly awaiting for the price to go down on Steam.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited January 2010

To be fair, people here seem to love that Demon's Souls and that seemed to be a QL where Jeff and Ryan were just dumbfounded that anyone could find this fun.

Cryostasis too, which they seemed to be sort of mocking for its slow ass pace. Even though the game is supposed to be good (and ended up getting a good review anyway, even if not from Ryan and Jeff).
    Dave loves Cryostasis, though.

Still, I find it's usually pretty easy to spot a game I'm going to like in a quick look, even in whoever's commenting isn't thrilled about it. Everybody over there has relatively predictable biases.

Monger on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Irrational have launched a new podcast, starring Shawn Elliott - Irrational Behavior

First episode is essentially A Life Well Wasted, except about game design, more specfically unused ideas and deleted content for Bioshock and older projects.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Out of the Game's death knell. Fantastic.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I didn't finish this past week's Bombcast yet, but I got to News of the World and I find it odd that Ryan didn't even so much as mention Bayonetta, considering he reviewed it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really, really liked him in the last Out of the Game, since he talked about Evolutionary Psychology which was my major. Its the only non-gaming podcast I listen to, its just that good.

I guess I'll try to listen to him talk about game design but I'm not too positive about it.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

What was the deal with him just going off on Jeff Green in that one episode when Jeff started talking about the writting contest? You could tell it really pissed Jeff off by his reaction, and was about to say "what the fuck have you written lately, asshole?" or was at least pretty hurt by something he was proud of completing getting shit on like that.

I really enjoy joystiq, and I completely agree with their review of L4D2 to an extent. Although I didnt think it was that difficult.

I like the geekbox, because they have the same tastes in shows/games as me for the most part, I was really confused by the guests shitting all over sillent hill, and then hearing praises from on high from joystiq.

Giant bomb I have just recently started listening to, and the commentary on games is just great.

I listen to the EA podcast because of jeff green, Ill admit it. Its an hour long comercial for EA but he sells it well. The interviews with EA staff are actually interesting at least, and .... the shows done mostly in a tasteful manner. If a podcast like this came out near the time of EA spouse, I dont think anyone would of listened to her for long, he sells that its a great place to work, and I doubt all the things he describes just started in the past couple years. I could be wrong though.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Last week's Joystiq podcast completely made up for the whole L4D2 thing in my mind. A real return to form.

I can't wait for the iGUGU Gamecore, Hard Zone Online Reviews says it's going to revolutionize console gaming!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

What was the deal with him just going off on Jeff Green in that one episode when Jeff started talking about the writting contest? You could tell it really pissed Jeff off by his reaction, and was about to say "what the fuck have you written lately, asshole?" or was at least pretty hurt by something he was proud of completing getting shit on like that.

It was the November National Writing Month that they were talking about, and anything that felt like tension was not. Working for GFW together, Jeff Green and Shawn Elliot have known each other for many years; all of the teasing was in jest and good fun.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Monger wrote: »

That was less about dismissing PC gamers and more about dismissing dipshits, though. Which is great.

I'm talking more about the kind of muffled groans that come out (from Jeff and Ryan in particular) when games like (recently) Zeno Clash and Cryostasis come up. Not big overt tirades or anything. Just subtle little indications that it's not something they're a part of, or want to be. I don't know. I just find it kind of irritating to notice about a bunch of otherwise charismatic, insightful individuals.

I think you misunderstood Jeff's reaction to Zeno Clash, he said multiple times that he was creeped the fuck out by father mother.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just listened to the Irrational Games podcast and all I can say is

dog in a wheelchair

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hearing Jeff talk about Darksiders totally gave me a boner during this week's Bombcast

UnbreakableVow on