As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird-Ass Windows 7 Hang

InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
So, yesterday my PC more or less stopped responding during normal operation.

I say more or less, because the windows UI still worked fine, as did winamp's. The usual aero features like dragging icons around the task bar, opening the start menu and right clicking gadgets/taskbar still "worked", but the functionality behind them was gone. Equally I could mess with my winamp playlist and drag the volume/track slider bars around but they did nothing.

My desktop gadgets were all still active, reporting 1-2% CPU usage and little memory usage. No unidentified processes running.

I couldn't get any new processes to start, and neither ctrl+alt+del or ctrl+shift+esc would bring up the task manager. No keyboard shortcuts of any sort worked, in fact.

After a minute or so, the desktop background paled out, which I think is probably a clue as to what was going on... iirc that's what UAC does, only it's disabled.

MSE is turning up nothing, and I've not seen anything this weird on win7 before =P
What the hell is up with my PC?

gBpkw.jpg
Insanity on

• Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The pale-ing out is the application hanging, so if it was your desktop, sounds like explorer had an issue (which explains the taskbar issues).

Ctrl+Alt+Del (or Ctrl+Shift+Esc) to bring up task manager, stop explorer.exe, then fiel>run "explorer" and it should resolve it.

If you having this constantly, then there is something of greater concern wrong.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Insanity wrote: »
    I couldn't get any new processes to start, and neither ctrl+alt+del or ctrl+shift+esc would bring up the task manager. No keyboard shortcuts of any sort worked, in fact.
    bigwah wrote: »
    Ctrl+Alt+Del (or Ctrl+Shift+Esc) to bring up task manager, stop explorer.exe, then fiel>run "explorer" and it should resolve it.

=(

But yeah, killing explorer was the first thing to spring to mind.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yea that's why I provided the other way to bring it up. Interesting that you have limited functionality without being able to bring up task manager, never seen that scenario.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, it's very odd indeed. Double-clicking my cpu monitor gadget also brings up the task manager under normal circumstances, and while the gadget was happily reporting the load on each of my cores the double-click refused to do anything.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg