As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Get in without clicking on a vowel: The [Gimmick Run/Self-Challenge] thread

yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
As I am sure you are aware, the vast majority of us here play videogames. Most of us have done so for quite a long time, playing for the bulk of our lives.

BUT!

As time goes on, the same games begin to bore us. They become...Less interesting, by virtue of having been played again and again. Your Zeldas, your Metroids, your GTA-Esque Sandbox Games. What is a poor, hapless soul to do in such a situation? I'll tell you! A self-challenge!

What is a self-challenge, you may ask? Well, our lord in internet, Wikipedia, lacks a definition. But checking the new world TVTropes, gives us this:
TVTropes wrote:
Pastime reserved for the hardcore. You see, most gamers don't have unlimited funds, and are disappointed if their most recent $50 investment doesn't require and reward a month's worth of attention. However, thanks to the gradual demise of Nintendo Hard over the years, it's becoming increasingly difficult to milk that kind of commitment out of most new games, which can be completed in a weekend without much effort (well, by the hardcore).

Enter the Self Imposed Challenge.

A Self Imposed Challenge is a playthrough of a game wherein the player plays under an restriction not required by the game itself in an attempt to increase the difficulty and replay value. These restrictions can range from the fairly simple (a refusal to make use of a Game Breaker, for example) to the near-impossible ("Hey, can you beat Super Mario Bros without pressing the "B" button?"). Check a message board for a game that's been out for a while and you'll undoubtedly find players reporting on their progress in various exotic Self-Imposed Challenges.

Gamers will occasionally record these runs and post them on various archive sites.

They also provide a handy list of basic, near-universal types:
Examples of common Self-Imposed Challenges:

* Hundred Percent Completion
* Low Level Run
* Minimalist Run
* No Damage Run
* No Casualties Run
* Pacifist Run
* Solo Character Run
* Speedrun
* Stealth Run
* No (or default only) armor and or no weapons (Fight In The Nude is named for one such challenge)
o Alternatively, a melee weapon only run
* No continues

So, in appreciation of the batshit ways some of us keep ourselves entertained in a game, I have started this thread to self-challenges, or gimmick runs, as I sometimes call them. One may simply discuss them, or one may take on a challenge themselves. If one does, it would be polite to tell us about it and present one's progress, yes? Yes! So do so, please.

With all that said, I am of course currently locked in my own. In Prototype, I have begun what I am calling the 'basic' run. No non-story required upgrades to basic abilities or new moves, but I am allowed to buy distinct powers(whipfist A-OK, air-dash before the game makes me not OK). I have also allowed myself the adrenaline surge ability, as a sort of panic button. The end goal of this will be to leave me with a perfect 'base' Mercer for future runs, with all story-required abilities, and the start of all powers, but no extra upgrades.

So, what kinds of crazy runs have you all done, or are doing?

yalborap on

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've never been good enough to do these sorts of things. I guess getting platinum is the new cockwaving.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really liked doing pacifist runs in the MGS games, because the game gave you the tools so that you could conceivably do so without being a raving lunatic.

Deus Ex, too, as long as I convinced myself that Police Batons were just for knocking people out, not killing them.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bursar wrote: »
    Deus Ex, too, as long as I convinced myself that Police Batons were just for knocking people out, not killing them.
    Been ages since I've played, but I'm pretty sure it DIDN'T kill, just KO'd.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've currently almost "completed" a self-challenge in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite that I call the "Pokke Farmer" run. MHFU doesn't really have an "end" per se, so I set an endpoint as defeating the Hunter Rank 9 Urgent Ukanlos under the limitations of the challenge. Currently, I'm in the middle of HR 8.

To explain the challenge, in Monster Hunter games you kill monsters, carve parts from them, and craft new weapons and armor from those parts to bootstrap yourself to harder and tougher monsters. There are no experience levels, per se, and your health/stamina values never change from a range of 25 to 150 (100 is default. Some armor and kitchen cats can make you lose health, but no one ever uses them except in very specific builds). In other words, while there is an equipment grind, there is no level grind... you can't just gain more levels to have an easier time beating monsters.

In MHFU, there is a zone called the Pokke Farm. After every mission, you can gather (or have a cat named Trenya gather for you by proxy in the various zones of the world) in the Pokke Farm to gain some raw materials. While these are also used for crafting weapons and armor, most of the parts are supplemental to the monster parts. There are only a handful of weapons and armor that can be made exclusively from Pokke Farm materials, and the vast majority of armor and weapons in the game require monster parts.

The Pokke Farmer is a character who does not carve monsters and does not take rewards of monster parts from missions. I only use parts from the Pokke Farm to make my armor and weapons. This gives me a severe gear handicap and requires a LOT of farming in the Pokke Farm and earning Pokke Points (to upgrade the Pokke Farm). It's been challenging and a lot of fun. Most folks choose a single weapon type that they specialize in (and maybe one more weapon type for certain monsters with a different fighting style), building weapons that have elemental damage strong against particular monster types. With the Pokke Farmer, the weapon type selection is more important, and you have to learn to tailor the weapon type versus a particular monster rather than elemental damage (because you simply don't have access to those weapons under the limitations of the challenge).

I'll also note that Monster Hunter Freedom Unite has hundreds of hours of gameplay. This is the sort of insane thing you do AFTER you've exhausted it all. I also know one person who's doing the Gunlance Challenge (beat all of the monsters in the game with a Gunlance), the Naked Bowgunner challenge (no armor, only bowguns for weapons), and I plan on doing the Iron Chef challenge at some point (only Food-based gag weaponry, like the Frozen Tuna and the Lobster gun).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I tried a pacifist run in Mirror's Edge.

The game resented me for it. It was so incredibly annoying and not fun I ended up abandoning it near the end of the game.

reVerse on
    edited December 2009
    No guns, or no fighting?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited December 2009
    No guns. I'm pretty sure you can't complete the game without any fighting.

So I guess I should've said "no murders run" rather than pacifist run.

reVerse on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I did a "No weapons" run of Prototype. Unless I specifically needed to use a weapon, I only used Muscle mass the entire game.

Other than that, I do this most with strategy games.

"Home-grown" UFO Defense: Human technology only in X-Com, with the exception of the avenger. No plasma, no psi. Lasers, armor, tanks, medi-kits, motion scanners, rifles and cannons.

"BSG" Space Empires V: No shields, no energy weapons. Depleted Uranium cannons, missiles and Armor are the only weapons or defenses on ships. This one can be a bitch, because shields pretty much make the game like, possible, they extend your ships lives forever. Also with DUCs and Missiles you need to carry extra storage on ships, without much extra damage or advantages.

Khavall on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've done a Solo Ramza FFT game, buster only runs on most of the Megaman/X series, Speed Runs on Super Metroid and the GBA games, A Rank/All Forms in Megaman Zero 2...

I just finished an A-Rank Megaman Zero 4. It was a lot easier than Zero 2, I have to say.

Delzhand on
    edited December 2009
    reVerse wrote: »

Unless you crotch kick a dude off a building :D

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited December 2009
    reVerse wrote: »

Unless you crotch kick a dude off a building :D

I did that, and then jumped after him. Next time, I managed not to kick him off the building.

But then there were the subway levels where I'd knock someone out, they'd fall on the tracks and then a train comes and bam, they're gone. That infuriated me something fierce.

reVerse on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For gimmick runs, I submit Nethack at being the best at enabling them! Nethack keeps track of certain things you either do or choose not to do, and at winning (or more often, dying), tells you which conducts you maintained! There are simpler ones like genocideless(don't kill all of the members of a species or use a spell of genocide) to crazy ones like foodless (don't eat. ever). Many people use different roles for different challenges, but after your first ascension (win), most people generally always go for one or two different conducts at least.

I've only done tame ones like a vegan weaponless monk, because playing a monk properly almost forces those conducts on you, but I know people who have gone for the more extreme ones, and it takes a toll upon a person.

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    More Achievements need to push these onto people, like the Brass Balls in Bioshock (Hard mode, no Vita-chambers). I also beat MGS4 without killing anyone. On my first playthrough.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My favorite is the low%/minamilist runs, whatever you have at the start is all you get, the whole game.

SkutSkut on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    More Achievements need to push these onto people, like the Brass Balls in Bioshock (Hard mode, no Vita-chambers). I also beat MGS4 without killing anyone. On my first playthrough.

What about when you're on the bike with big momma?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not really a specific challenge, but in Disgaea 2, a game based on absurd powerleveling, playing through the story without doing ANY extra maps results in one of the sweetest difficulty curves I have ever seen in an RPG. It's possible if you know what you are doing, but the end of the game is hard. Possible, but really. Fucking. Hard.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I beat No More Heroes on Bitter with only the Blood Berry.

Fuck Henry took a long time to kill.

Sigtyr on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TeeMan wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »

What about when you're on the bike with big momma?

Tranq guns and infinite flashbangs.
    And a LOT of patience. And some luck, gotta remember to bring your luck.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Maybe it's just my imagination, but smoke seems to hep a little.

Chrono Helix on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is basically the videogame equivalent of a married couple getting bored of normal sex and doing kooky stuff, isn't it? Because if it is, then you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Usually I'm mostly done with games once I've completed them. I notice now that I jump into games on the harder difficulties and if I know of any interesting quirks, I'll use them on the first go-around. Right now I'm playing Bioshock for the first time on Hard with no vita-chambers. The game doesn't seem all that tough even playing like this, so I imagine normal difficulty with them on would probably be a cakewalk. I also did my first Mirror's Edge playthrough without using guns, and while it was exasperating at times, 9/10 encounters in that game have tricks which make fighting, let alone shooting, not as important as it immediately seems.

One game I went crazy for was Pilotwings 64. I explored every nook and cranny of every island using the jetpack and gyrocopter. Eventually started exploring caves in those vehicles that were not designed for such tight maneuvering. Then I made up little games where I would go on attack runs with the gyrocopters infinite missiles. Tried shooting pretty much whatever, like the space shuttle after it had taken off. Hard to explain, I just went nuts over that first sense of open exploration in a 3D world.

Funny enough, games with exploration in mind aren't as interesting to me. I love jumping around in Halo and it's sequels and seeing how far off the beaten path I can get - pretty much everything you can see in those games is solid and can be stood upon, the characters have good jumping skills, and figuring out ways to get on top of structures and areas in that game become like little spatial puzzles. I've spent more time doing stuff like that than actually shooting vagina-mouths and space-robots. Yet a game like Oblivion, which has a massive world which should be fun to explore, doesn't really give you any tools other than walking around.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Usually only do these when a game is really boring or easy but for some reason I need to force myself through it anyway.

Like when I played Rogue Trooper. I got about 2 levels in and realized that it was pretty terrible and also stupid easy, so I restarted on Hard and did pistol + sentry gun only. The game was still stupid easy, but at least I got some fun out of it.

Other times I'll do it because I'm a very specific player. I will play a game the way I want to play it, not necessarily the way it was meant to be played. If a game gives me multiple weapon options then I will use the one that I like, even when it's not optimal. For example, I don't like sniper rifles, so I just don't use them in games. This can lead to some tricky situations; the last game I remember doing that in was my first run through Resident Evil 4. I never bought any of the sniper rifles and used my pistol in situations where they were needed, like the part where you have to keep the monks from grabbing Ashley. You can also kill the Regenerators without the special scope, they just take a whole lot of ammo (I also didn't buy any SMGs because I don't like them, either, but shotguns solve everything).

Unfortunately, this follows through to my competitive gaming as well. I will avoid using weapons I don't like and I will choose characters in fighting games based on how I like to play them, not on their optimal playing style or how good they may be. Sometimes it works out alright, but other times I just end up being the guy who reps the low tiers at every tourney.

I did have a lot of fun doing my lowest stats, no deaths, no gels, Mania mode run through Tales of Symphonia.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I tried to do a 100% run in Skies of Arcadia a long time ago. One of every item, all chests, no deaths or escapes, all of that stuff. It went fine until I found out I apparently missed some item in the desert town, and I had already opened the last dungeon so I was hours past that. I guess you're supposed to go back to the bazaar when you're controlling Vyse and Gilder to buy something, because it gets destroyed right after and you can't get anything as Aika and Fina. It's pretty much a load of bullshit because no guide mentions that item and the only reason I knew it existed is because I saw it in a guide listing every item. I still don't actually even know if it exists without a gameshark or if I got it and just forgot because I refuse to boot up my save to check and prove either way. If not for that item, the save is flawless. It even has the more obscure items like Drachma's weapon you can only get in the sewers of that rich city and the extra captain's stripe(s) from glitching an end boss and I think actually defeating the Red Gigas when you first fight it.

Gilder on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Okay, so. My Prototype run so far has taught me something.

When you don't have boosted Muscle Mass to fall back on, the Hammerfist can be a fucking GODSEND. Also, armor helps a LOT when you have a health bar the size of a fucking jelly bean.

yalborap on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I ghosted Thief and Thief 2, but not Deadly Shadows.

It was a lot more fun playing the game like you really actually care about making guards even the least bit suspicious.

joshofalltrades on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MegaMan X - X is always complaining about fighting. So I made him a pacifist: not allowed to hurt enemies in the level (barriers excluded if I can't get around them fast enough). X3 is a bit tougher, but with judicious use of Zero, X's body count is drastically decreased. I've done X through X3 like this. Also the obligatory no-upgrades/X-Buster only.

Super Metroid: the usual low-item run. Currently (assuming the battery is still working) on Ridley with zero energy tanks, no reserve tanks, 15 total missiles, 5 super missiles, 5 power bombs; excluding the X-Ray Scope, Grappling Hook, Spazer, Plasma, Wave, High Jump, and Spring Ball. I think - I'm going off of memory here.

System Shock 2 - fairly sure I completed an OSA only run, including no wrench.

Bioshock - spent no adam. Rescued all the sisters. On hard, no vita-chambers. Was sorely disappointed.

I've tried ghosting the Thief games, but I'm not sure how far I've gotten.

Should probably try a HL/HL2 gimmick run. Crowbar only? heh.

HL2 - Episode 1 has that achievement on the Xbox with only firing one bullet - I have it on the PC, so I've never felt compelled to try. Hm.

First time playing Final Fantasy I decided to unequip all of the weapons and armor from my friend's game. And discovered that the Black Belt (? it was long ago) was doing better without his weapon.

I'm quite sure there've been other cool things I've done.

Tamin on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tamin wrote: »

Something I've been pondering for a while, there's all these OSA only runs and shit, how feasible is a no-upgrades run? No spending cybermodules, no OS upgrades, etc. Labassistant implant gets you the toxin-A, can't think of anything else that required spending points aside from sanity.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    edited December 2009
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Something I've been pondering for a while, there's all these OSA only runs and shit, how feasible is a no-upgrades run? No spending cybermodules, no OS upgrades, etc. Labassistant implant gets you the toxin-A, can't think of anything else that required spending points aside from sanity.

I want to say that the LabAssistant only gives you an extra point if you already have one. I'm not sure.

Oh! Getting the Sympathetic Resonator requires hack, I'm pretty sure.

Might be a few similar things. It'd just be painful by the end, mainly.

Tamin on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is basically the videogame equivalent of a married couple getting bored of normal sex and doing kooky stuff, isn't it? Because if it is, then you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

1) It's spelled "kinky".

2) Like you have any room to criticize marital bedroom practices.

DarkPrimus on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

1) It's spelled "kinky".

1) Kooky is a word

2) It's a joke

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm in the middle of playing through Deus Ex without killing anyone. MiB are assholes.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

1) It's spelled "kinky".

1) Kooky is a word

2) It's a joke

1) I know, but it wasn't being used correctly.

2) Your sex life is a joke.

DarkPrimus on
    edited December 2009
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

I want to say that the LabAssistant only gives you an extra point if you already have one. I'm not sure.

Oh! Getting the Sympathetic Resonator requires hack, I'm pretty sure.

Might be a few similar things. It'd just be painful by the end, mainly.

Labassistant works if you have no points, there's several ICE picks by the time you need the resonator.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I did a FOXHOUND run in MGS3:S

Boy howdy that was tough. Not as tough as Big Boss'ing MGS2, though, which I never finished, because FUCK THAT.

Muramasa18 on
    edited December 2009

Super Metroid: the usual low-item run. Currently (assuming the battery is still working) on Ridley with zero energy tanks, no reserve tanks, 15 total missiles, 5 super missiles, 5 power bombs; excluding the X-Ray Scope, Grappling Hook, Spazer, Plasma, Wave, High Jump, and Spring Ball. I think - I'm going off of memory here.

Congratulations you've rendered the game unwinnable, as you need at least 3 (I think) E-tanks to survive Mother Brain.

SkutSkut on
    edited December 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Congratulations you've rendered the game unwinnable, as you need at least 3 (I think) E-tanks to survive Mother Brain.

Yep.

I've reached Mother Brain with 0 energy tanks before. Had some reserves, then, as well as actually using missiles on the bosses.

I intend to either 'beat' Mother Brain (get her to use the hyper beam weapon) or pick up the 3 needed ones and hold myself to taking less than 99 damage.

Haven't decided yet. . . Ridley is... well, I think I'd have to be playing perfectly for nearly an hour to make it work: the best I've done is make it to the first palette swap.

Tamin on
    edited December 2009
    Well God speed then.

SkutSkut on
  • thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Perfect stealth/no kill runs are great for games with robust stealth systems, like MGS or Thief. Not so much games with stealth tacked on.

Non-lethal runs in SWAT4 are fun, and they actually get pretty challenging near the end, once the enemies have gas masks and full armor.

thegloaming on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Yep.

I've reached Mother Brain with 0 energy tanks before. Had some reserves, then, as well as actually using missiles on the bosses.

I intend to either 'beat' Mother Brain (get her to use the hyper beam weapon) or pick up the 3 needed ones and hold myself to taking less than 99 damage.

Haven't decided yet. . . Ridley is... well, I think I'd have to be playing perfectly for nearly an hour to make it work: the best I've done is make it to the first palette swap.

Can you use that glitch beam to win, or do you not even have the items required to access it?

Gilder on
    edited December 2009
    You need all the beams to do it I'm fairly certain, and it's not a matter of damaging her, her hyper beam does a set amount of damage (something like 390) requiring 3 tanks to survive the battle, period.

SkutSkut on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

1) It's spelled "kinky".

1) If I meant "kinky", I would have used "kinky". There's nothing in the definition of "kooky" that makes it inappropriate, and I like the sound of it.

2) My joke was funnier, as long as we accept that we're both joking.

I recently played through Crysis using only the strength and speed modes (no cloak or armor). Not so much gimmicky, or even fantastically difficult as it is a total contravention of how I usually play these sorts of games. Going on the full offensive when I'm spotted, running up to dudes, and punching them in the face isn't exactly natural to me but it is pretty fun. I tried it on Delta and it doesn't work too well, so I busted down one difficulty level and it's frustrating but possible.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name