As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's in Ohio? Because I'm going there.

MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So in January, the 25th-27th specifically, my work is sticking me and a co-worker / friend on a plane, sending us three time zones away to Ohio for a Scott's (eg giant-mega-evil-corporation-Monsato) training seminar. If all goes well, as in, plane does not ice up and crash somewhere in the Rockies, we might get there early. Also, nights are all ours. Or days. Not sure yet.

Either way ... any Ohio-ans here who can tell me what there is to do? Where to eat? Oh I think it's just outside of Columbus. At least that's what I'm told. Apparently there could also even be time to hit up the zoo, as that's what my manager did when he went. So yeah ... what to do in Ohio?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
MetroidZoid on

• Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Get a skyline chili hotdog, and wear an ohio state shirt on New Years Day. you'll be fine.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Quaker Steak & Lube is good for wings and that sort of food. I think there's one in Columbus.

Taximes on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    COSI is kind of fun if you like sciencey amusements. It's kind of kid-oriented, obviously, but good for a big kid.

Saddler on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you were going in the summer months I'd recommend Cedar Point. Its a Roller Coaster amusement park.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanatos on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If I was in Cleveland, I'd say hi to Harvey Pekar

Agentflit on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Food -
    Donatos Pizza - Thin crust spicy pizza
    Thurman Cafe - Ginormous Burgers that are really awesome. Featured in a lot of "top 20 places you need to eat at before you die" type magazines. More of a late night place.
    Graeter's Ice cream - Awesome
    Akai Hanna - The best sushi in Ohio (actually great sushi, now that I live in LA and can compare), and REALLY cheap. A little gem if you can find it.
    Hunan Lion - Best chinese I've had. Relatively cheap (~$9-$12 per entree) and it really is gourmet.
    North Market - Near the short north, has a bunch of EXCELLENT food and small shops. $2 parking, and some awesome baklava. Lots of ethinic food.
    Schmidt's - German style buffet. Quaint, small, charming, and delicious. It's in German village.

Also - The original Wendy's closed a few years ago. SADFACE.

For Bars -
    Kara Bar - Downtown Columbus. Clean and small.
    Tip Top - More open and near other hot spots downtown. SWEET POTATO FRIES.

Things to do:

Columbus Museam of Art (CMA) Downtown. Should be cheap-ish (my student ID got me in free, so I can't remember). Lots of great stuff in there.
    Nationwide Arena - Hockey games, if that's your thing. Also, a great place to walk around. [Site says Harlem Globetrotters will be there on the 27th.]
    Short North - Downtown strip of local shops and things. You can bar hop effectively down there, but might be turned off by the massive college kids scene.
    Zoo - Rated #1 in America alongside San Diego... but no giraffes :(
    German Village - Cute brick road area near downtown. Lots of shops and old craftsmen. Also, an AWESOME bookstore called The Book Loft. Imagine a multifloor labyrinth of rooms filled with books. It's actually a lot of fun to walk aroudn in without the intention of buying a book.

That's all I got. If you let me know what you're into, I can get some more suggestions, but I went with the vague things here.

Clevland is like 2+ hours from Columbus. Columbus isn't so.... derelict.

Rye on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So in January, the 25th-27th specifically, my work is sticking me and a co-worker / friend on a plane, sending us three time zones away to Ohio for a Scott's (eg giant-mega-evil-corporation-Monsato) training seminar. If all goes well, as in, plane does not ice up and crash somewhere in the Rockies, we might get there early. Also, nights are all ours. Or days. Not sure yet.

Either way ... any Ohio-ans here who can tell me what there is to do? Where to eat? Oh I think it's just outside of Columbus. At least that's what I'm told. Apparently there could also even be time to hit up the zoo, as that's what my manager did when he went. So yeah ... what to do in Ohio?

Hi! Scott's is in Marysville on the east side. I live on the west side, about 5 minutes away on Rt 33. It's about 15 minutes away from Dublin and 30 minutes away from downtown Columbus. If you can find a place to stay in Dublin, the trip to your training seminar will be pretty decent.

Columbus is a growing city with a young educated population. Just north of the downtown on High St is the Short North which has a lot of independent stores and restaurants. Sports bars dot the road near the Ohio State campus (further north) with my personal favorite being The Little Bar. The Wexner Art center is also on campus, and tends to have some rather interesting stuff. German Village and the Brewery District south of downtown have a ton of old-fashioned places too. Easton Mall is a massive network of outdoor/indoor shops east of Columbus.

You can get anywhere in the city within 15 to 20 minutes, which is awesome. Dublin is a wealthy suburb area to the NW of Columbus, and its very well-kept. Good malls to the south (Tuttle) and east (Polaris). Between Dublin and Marysville is spare, but the main drag through Marysville (5th St) has Doc Henderson's restaurant (classic American, but expensive) and Old Bag of Nails bar (small sports bar). Past Scott's, the east side of Marysville has a relatively new shopping complex with your average stores and restaurant chains.

Let me know when you're around and I might be able to show you around Columbus. I was conscripted to show a dozen new out-of-state engineers at Honda the sights at Columbus a year ago. They weren't into the more hip scene at the Short North, but felt comfortable settling at Eddie George's and Panini's on campus for a few hours.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This is all great info. Work is paying for the hotel for us and people from other stores, so I'm not sure how close to everything I'll be yet. And then of course, free time might be really limited by flying conditions.

Any restaurant with good wings definitely sounds right up my alley.

Thanks guys!

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    To blend in, wear Ohio State propoganda. Under no circumstances wear anything supporting a different Big 10 team.

SideAffects on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So like don't come out decked in Beaver-wear?

Who doesn't like Beavers?

And also orange and black?

That doesn't stand out at all!
    I actually don't give any attention to any sports team. Not my thing.

Also, from what I have gathered; my plane leaves Sunday, *should* get in around Sunday night. Which gives me all Monday from whenever I get up until 5:00 to do whatever. As the zoo closes at 5:00, this seems easily done, provided I call the hotel in advance to plan a shuttle, that is free, to said zoo.

Oh hey and weather wise how's it been / what's average. I mean here our days bounce around from like 40ish (warm winter day) to hanging under 30 for a week at a time, which I know is tame to Ohio but like will my nuts freeze off from cold shock or what?

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sounds about right for the temperature. Might get a few days in the upper teens, but they're not common.
    To blend in, wear Ohio State propoganda. Under no circumstances wear anything supporting a different Big 10 team.

Nah, just not anything we will kill on sight. Neutral (most not-SEC/Pac10/other Big 10 teams) or friendly (most Ohio teams) are just as good.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Marion's Pizza Marion's Pizza Marion's Pizza Marion's Pizza Marion's Pizza

DeliciousTacos on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://www.swensonsdriveins.com/

http://www.luigisrestaurant.com/Home.html

I'd just keep linking things in Akron, but I am from there and you won't be near there.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

fuck that noise. Houndogs pizza is where it's at. open 24/7, baby.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Go see the Bluejacket's play in Nationwide. It's a great venue.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

fuck that noise. Houndogs pizza is where it's at. open 24/7, baby.

They are both good. Unfortunately, there isn't a Marion's Pizza in Columbus that I'm aware of. Those are all down in Dayton... and yea, not much to see in Dayton besides Marion Pizza and the Airforce museum (which is definitely worth a checkout if you have a free day).

However, if you go to visit OSU campus you will be pretty near Hounddogs. Along with being 24/7 they have an attached bar. It's a fun place. Another good campus pizza joint is Adriatico's.

You could also check out the Columbus Zoo, though I'm not sure how interesting it will be while you are hear.

Gotta second Thurmond's Cafe. It's one of those must visit places. Go early and bring an appetite!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Marion's is disgusting pizza. I've never once gone there and left satisfied.

HOW DO YOU SCREW UP A CHEESE PIZZA?

urahonky on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you are in the Columbus area, look up Hound Dogs Three Degree Pizza, order it smokin' joes style. It's delicious.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also:

Jeni's Ice Cream, there's one at North Market andone in Grandview
    Buckeye Donuts - 24 Donut Place down on campus. Delicious

If you, by chance, are in to the Goth/Industrial Dance scene, we have Outland

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Another good ice cream spot is Denise's, it's a a block down high from Hound Dogs.

Man, with all the people talking Hound Dogs I think there needs to be some kind get together.

As for Buckeye Donuts, your mileage may vary but the one time I went there I had some pretty horrible stomach problems afterwords.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dirty Frank's Hot Dogs for a awesome variety of hot dogs, and everything on the menu is available vegan style if you're into that

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857