As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

blog site recommendation

chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I am planning on starting a blog on the first of the year, more as an excersize for myself than anything else, and am not sure what site to use.

I checked www.blogger.com, which seems pretty good, but I have no experience with this and am looking for input. Anyone use blogger, or is there a better alternative?

chamberlain on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Since you're just getting started and aren't sure what you really plan to do with it, blogger and/or blogspot are both fine. I believe both allow you to export all of your posts to other software formats in case you do get more serious and want to buy your own domain/hosting.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    We use blogger at work, it was pretty simple to configure the standard blogger page to look like our actual website, and to have it publish entries to our site instead of the blogger.whatever.com address.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks. It is good to know that blogger will let me easlily export things in case I do anything later.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thirding blogger, as far as free blogging stuff goes. You can also check out livejournal or something like that, but everyone's going to make fun of you if you do.

If you start your own site (pay for a domain/host), look into installing Wordpress or some other content management system on it.

A lot (if not most) of the popular blogging sites / content management systems, you don't even have to go to the site to post. You can just use a desktop client of some sort, like Windows Live Writer (assuming you're on Windows).

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I personally prefer Wordpress to Blogger, but both are fine.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    redguardianredguardian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In my experience Wordpress(.com) has nicer themes than Blogger, but Blogger gives you the ability to edit your CSS for free, which Wordpress(.com) doesn't.

redguardian on