As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MP3 services

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Are sites like mp3sugar and allofmp3 legit?

I'm trying to find a particular album - Bôa - Twilight (their 2001 album) - but it's not available on any of the major services like Zune, iTunes, and Rhapsody, which is really weird because I am almost positive I had it on Rhapsody like six months ago.

I did a google search, and I see the albums available for purchase for a ridiculously small amount of change like two dollars. Now, I know allofmp3 requires you to buy 25 dollars worth of credit, or something like that, before you can buy anything, but...I dunno, are these services legitimate? Is the quality horseshit or something? What am I missing?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    allofmp3 is a russian company. And the RIAA hates them. There's a clause in some resolution from the WTO in discussion about closing them down. But technically, according to Russian law, they're not doing anything illegal.

I am fairly sure it counts as illegal for you to use it though.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Grr. I'm guessing the same goes for the other cheap mp3 sites.

This is so fucking annoying. Their 2005 album is all over the place, but it's as if no one recognizes the existence of 2001 album.

Drez on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If the album is so cheap, why not just order it, then rip it from the cd?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It's cheap on these sites, I dunno about the physical CD.

Drez on
  • Options
    SilvanosSilvanos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez: While I can't help you with legal downloading, I just wanted to comment that Twilight is a fucking awesome album.

The physical CD was quite cheap through their site but they seem to have run out of stock.

Silvanos on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I really like the song Rain. I'm damned near positive that it was on Rhapsody.

Do these services lose licenses to particular albums now and then?

Drez on
  • Options
    SilvanosSilvanos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No clue. While I would never in my wildest dreams advocate the illegal download of an album, soulseek is a pretty damn good P2P program with a wide variety of music to be found.

Silvanos on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Grey market at best, black market at worst. If you feel comfortable dealing with the Russian mafia in exchange for downloading a few songs, go right ahead.

I know eMusic does the whole unencumbered MP3 thing and they have quite a few indie labels and junk.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Grey market at best, black market at worst. If you feel comfortable dealing with the Russian mafia in exchange for downloading a few songs, go right ahead.

I know eMusic does the whole unencumbered MP3 thing and they have quite a few indie labels and junk.

as does insound, no Bôa though

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bleh. eMusic has Boa, but just the 2005 album.

I appreciate the help/info guys.

Any other legit services?

Drez on