As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DS must have games for one with no library

HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®©Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
So being a budding 29 year old on the verge of puberty, my mom decided it would be a wonderful idea to get me a DSi along with Brain Age 2 for christmas. Now i really didnt want or need one, but the wifey has taken a shining to it and its a nice distraction from all those horrible educational books i read on the toilet.

So if i were to drop $50 on a couple games, what should i get? Casual put down, pick up would be better than any epic RPG's. Time is a factor when playing since i work and have kids, chores and all the stupid shit that life comes with.

RECOMENDATIONS?

kx3klFE.png
HydroSqueegee on

• SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Try the professor layton series or phoenix wright.

Professor Layton: Collection of brain teasers with a story behind everything.

Phoenix Wright: Play as a defence lawyer, talk to witnesses, find evidence, etc. Allows saving at any time, even mid conversation.

Sipex on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Scribblenauts

Get it right now

Edit: Seriously get it now, you can play on the main title screen for hours and not get bored.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i can borrow both scribblenauts and Prof. Layton from my mom of all people....

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    edited December 2009

Your mom has good taste in games.

Sipex on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Picross DS will last you for-fucking-ever.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited December 2009
    Sipex wrote: »

she likes puzzle games... and i got her scribblenauts for her birthday. :D

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Agreed

Your mom is a classy lady.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tetris DS, New Super Mario Bros, and Space Invaders Extreme are all rather cool things to pick up and play for a bit.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Maybe Elite Beat Agents?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    obligatory, The World Ends With You

TyrantCow on
    edited December 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »

Disclaimer: it is an rpg though

Sipex on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dude, if you can find a copy of tetris DS, let me know how. I have quite a few friends I want to get it for.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

An RPG you can save at any time and gain XP in by not playing.

CJTheran on
  • KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The World Ends With You validated my purchase of a DS on it's own merits. Tremendous game.

The first three Phoenix Wright games, Advance Wars - Days of Ruin, and any of the GBA Fire Emblem games are all solid buys.

I enjoyed FFXII - Reverent Wings, but it might not be your bag.
    CJTheran wrote: »

An RPG you can save at any time and gain XP in by not playing.

It's also a game where you gain the necessary 'bravery' to wear more outrageous outfits by eating food (which needs to be digested by fighting lots of mobs).

What a fantastic game.

Kitsurubami on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Meteos is great pick up and play fun. Same with Metroid Pinball. Mario 64 DS is superb.

Now that my casual gaming recommendations are done, I think you should get some RPG's despite what you said in the OP. Most DS RPGs are great about giving you systems where you can enjoy the game in small bites. So even if you aren't around a save point, you can close your DS to pause the game, making it easy to get to one later. Considering that the DS is home to some of the best RPGs around regardless of platform, I'll bet you could find one that fits into your lifestyle and is a ton of fun.

Drake on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tetris DS, New Super Mario Bros, and Space Invaders Extreme are all rather cool things to pick up and play for a bit.

Space Invaders Extreme 2 is better than the first in a lot of ways, so I'd recommend that instead.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Zelda: Spirit Tracks are both very good, but if you're only going to play one of them, Spirit Tracks has some improvements and is slightly better.

I got Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia a couple of days ago and it's pretty good.

Peewi on
    edited December 2009
    Speaking of Castlevania, Portrait of Ruin is really, really good.

Kitsurubami on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rocket Slime.

Also seconding Order of Ecclesia.

Xagarath on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    !

... someone had to light the slash-signal.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited December 2009
    Even if you don't thiink you'd necessarily want two Castlevania games, I'd still suggest picking up Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia.

The former has a lot of humor, a colorful art style, and is a fun romp. It also teaches you about the power of friendship!

The latter has some pretty difficult boss battles and also some pretty atrocious voice acting. It's also a bit less colorful, though the art is beautiful as always.

They both deliver pretty different experiences.

Kitsurubami on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you have a DSi, why not try out that new Warioware game?

Also, Rhythm Heaven. It's a collection of mini games you solve by keeping time with the background music.

emnmnme on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait, you don't have Mario Kart DS? How... how is that even possible? (Anyone from the Videogame sales thread will get the joke)

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't own a newer DS but with my old one you could pause any game at any time just by closing the lid. The DS went into a "sleep" mode of sorts and it would run for a very long time on the battery...or pretty much forever plugged in.

So it kinda didn't matter what game you were playing, you could stop anything at any time and come back later. I'm guessing the DSi works the same?

Also, Geometry Wars: Galaxies provided me hours and hours of entertainment during those long, slow 2nd and 3rd shift hours at work.

citizen059 on
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you like crossword puzzles, Crosswords DS is actually pretty good. Lots of puzzles and the hard puzzles are hard. It includes word searches and anagrams, if those are your thing. Great for pick-up-and-play.

The original Puzzle Quest: Challenge Of The Warlords is also good for brief bursts of playtime, although it will suck you in pretty hard.

All three of the DS Castlevania games have frequent enough save points and a good quick save system to make short play sessions possible. Each of them has strong points and weak points. I personally liked Order of Ecclesia the best also, but any of them are worth playing.

And has anybody recommended Retro Game Challenge yet? Because if not, Retro Game Challenge. It's a tribute to the 8-bit NES era, but the games are mostly very fun in their own right. I played this for weeks on end without getting sick of it. I seriously think this may be one of my candidates for GOTY this year, along with Batman.

If you like turn-based strategy, Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution will scratch that itch nicely. It's geared pretty well for portable play, with most games and scenarios being possible to win within a couple of hours (hell, it's possible to win the Lightning Round scenario within twenty minutes or less), and the ability to save any time removes any issues you might have with a game running long.

Norfair on
  • datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Picross DS will last you for-fucking-ever.

THIS. Picked it up on a whim and it became the most played game in my DS for-freaking-ever.

datac0re on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If I could pick two DS games to bring with me on a deserted island, it'd be Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. I must have spend hundreds of hours on those games alone.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited December 2009
    As you can see from the range of suggestions, there is no lack of excellent DS games in every category you could desire. There are even some decent FPS and RTS.

Drake on
  • ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whoever said Picross is so, so right.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
    edited January 2010
    advance wars looks right up my ally...

excellent

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You won't regret it. :)

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just want to throw in my vote for Phoenix Wright (and sequels). Wonderful game and only game to make me feel depressed and empty when I finished it and realized it was over.

Taya on
  • JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Advance Wars: Dual Strike is one of the best DS games out there, IMO.
    It's getting hard to find at retail though.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For quick pick-up-and-play games: Contra 4, the Sonic Rush games and New Super Mario Bros. are a couple I can think of off the top of my head. When you're ready for the more lengthy stuff, I highly recommend looking into the DS version of Final Fantasy IV (which should be just $20 now).

Grimthwacker on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://slashsignal.wikispaces.com/Nintendo+DS

This has some collected forum wisdom; sounds like you're in good shape with recommendations already, though.

Darian on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Taya wrote: »
    I just want to throw in my vote for Phoenix Wright (and sequels). Wonderful game and only game to make me feel depressed and empty when I finished it and realized it was over.

Yes. Everyone needs to play the Phoenix Wright games. They are the best games on the DS.

mntorankusu on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    Dude, if you can find a copy of tetris DS, let me know how. I have quite a few friends I want to get it for.

This so fucking much. My wife wants this and I cannot for the life of me find a copy.

How about Henry Hatsworth, old bean?

Seriously, look at this fucking guy

henry-hatsworth-in-the-puzzling-adventure--20080812021437008_640w.jpg

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • ZoneZone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am a afraid that the advance wars people have leading you astray. While duel strike is awesome you should also look at the next one days of ruin. It changes the gameplay significantly while still retaining a lot of the elements of the earlier games.

Zone on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The version of Worms that came out for DS is pretty darn good.

If you have any interest in making music, I can't recommend Korg DS-10 enough. It's brilliant. Though since you got the DSi, you probably want the plus version.. they put out a new one with some improved features.

Kirby Canvas Curse is splendid as well.

xzzy on
    edited January 2010
    I love these threads. Every time one pops up it's a great little reminder to me that the DS is a pretty special little system.

Drake on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Zone wrote: »
    I am a afraid that the advance wars people have leading you astray. While duel strike is awesome you should also look at the next one days of ruin. It changes the gameplay significantly while still retaining a lot of the elements of the earlier games.

Days of Ruin has slightly more balanced gameplay, but the horrible self-serious plotting and atmosphere drag it down after a while.

Xagarath on