As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arcade vs Elite

ToldoToldo But actually,WeegianRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
As it turns out, my New Year's resolution is to get an Xbox 360. Unless I am mistaken, it comes in two standard configurations: the Arcade and Elite. The perks of the Elite 360 is an HDD, an ethernet cable, a headset, and... blackness, while the Arcade comes with games I'll probably never touch. Which is the better deal? I already know I want to get a second controller and two or so games, and that's a lot of skrilla right there. Is it better to go for the cheaper configuration and buy an HDD later (if I need one) or splurge now and get the Elite?

Toldo on

• Options
    MrRezisterMrRezister Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    IMO the hard drive is a BIG DEAL. You will eventually want and/or need it, and it's like $150 to buy it separately from the console. Get it now, prease.

MrRezister on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Which Elite are you talking about? because due to weirdness:

There's the Arcade, which usually comes with two games. Built in 512MB memory units.

There's the "old" elite, which usually does not come with games (except Hexic HD on the HDD). 120GB.

The "new" elites, which are bundle packs with a game. 250GB HDD. I think these are currently either MW2 or Forza 3. The Forza 3 one is red, I believe.

As it is, any of the HDD ones are cheaper than buying the arcade + a HDD.

HDD is needed for:

- OXBox backwards compat with discs
    - Most game DLC (bigger than the memory units). You'll definitely need one if you get into Rock Band.
    - if you want to actually make use of Games on Demand.
    - You can copy games to the HDD and the 360 will play them from the HDD, letting the laser rest.
    - I believe Netflix requires the HDD.

Basically, if you're planning to get the HDD anyway, just get the Elite.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's a MW2 bundle? Sold. Lock please!

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yep, this is what you're looking for:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75938

Available at most fine local videogame retailers(tm)

(it also comes with two controllers)

If you want to do HD you will have to buy component cables or a VGA cable seperately, but this is true for any 360 model these days.

Or if you have HDMI capability, you can also just use an HDMI cable.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    OverOver ...laser cats? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    EDIT: nevermind, I'll just take it to the Tech Tavern.

Over on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Now what's the deal with the official xbox HDMI cable? I mean, $50 for an HDMI cable is pretty ridiculous.

Couldn't I just buy a standard HDMI cable from monoprice and be done with it, or is there a special attachment at one end of the official xbox cable?

John Matrix on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Standard HDMI cable will work.

And official stuff is always expensive because markups = $texas in money.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The $50 cable is for people who want optical audio and can't be bothered to use a flathead screwdriver to pop open the case on their component cables.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Voro wrote: »
    The $50 cable is for people who want optical audio and can't be bothered to use a flathead screwdriver to pop open the case on their component cables.

Wait what? Im using a standard HDMI cable I got on Amazon for $.01 (literally, I paid like $5.96 for 2 HDMI cables, 5.94 of which was shipping), no modification necessary.

emp123 on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    emp123 wrote: »
    Voro wrote: »

Wait what? Im using a standard HDMI cable I got on Amazon for $.01 (literally, I paid like $5.96 for 2 HDMI cables, 5.94 of which was shipping), no modification necessary.

Yeah, you need nothing if you want the audio through the HDMI cable. However, if you want optical digital audio then you'll need to use the output located on your standard component cables. You cannot have these cables plugged in at the same time as an HDMI cable unless you crack open the casing on the component cables where it meets the 360 (the plastic will block the HDMI port). MS deliberately put the ports too close so that people would pay $50 to get digital audio at the same time as HDMI.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just thought I would chime in for anyone still looking to buy an xbox.

The refurbished units (by microsoft, not gamestop) come with two wireless controllers and a HDD (though only 20gigs) for just $199. I think its easily the best xbox deal out there right now. Though 20gigs can be a struggle if you use it a lot.

rts on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Get the elite, you want a hard drive. Life without DLC is no life at all.

ed: I don't think you necessarily need to get the 250 though, if there are cheaper options. I've never felt like I was even close to filling my 120.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cakemikz wrote: »
    I just thought I would chime in for anyone still looking to buy an xbox.

The refurbished units (by microsoft, not gamestop) come with two wireless controllers and a HDD (though only 20gigs) for just $199. I think its easily the best xbox deal out there right now. Though 20gigs can be a struggle if you use it a lot.

Odds are the reburbs aren't Jasper units, and I couldn't recommend the old units to anyone in good conscience. If you look up the warranty that covers the refurbished units you'll find the terms are different from retail 360s, and this is a big one:

New 360:
    One Year Express Warranty on Console (Three Years for Three Lights Flashing Red). Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, Microsoft warrants to you only (the original retail purchaser) that, during the Warranty Period and under normal use and service, the Xbox Console will substantially conform with the printed user instruction materials packaged with the Console.

Reburb:
    One Year Express Warranty on Console. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, Microsoft warrants to you only (the original retail purchaser) that, during the Warranty Period and under normal use and service, the Xbox Console will substantially conform with the printed user instruction materials packaged with the Console.

So not only do you have a higher chance of getting a 360 prone to getting the RROD, it's not covered by the three year RROD warranty.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there a particular serial number i need to be looking for on the outside of the box in order to get a Jasper? I'm assuming that they are the latest/most reliable versions.

Also, is there a noticeable difference between the sound through the HDMI versus the cracked open component case?

[Edit] It appears that a 12.1 v power supply indicates a Jasper. I'll keep an eye out.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There is very little chance you'll get anything but a Jasper if you buy a new unit now.

Also, regarding the HDMI/Audio dilemma:

Where the heck are you seeing optical on the component cables? The Red/White RCA? That's not optical. Right now I have HDMI from the Xbox to my TV and an optical cable from my TV to my Receiver. I was assuming that is the best possible sound situation.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess it's on the newer component cables.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's on the back of the plug that goes into the console

optical.jpg

This is actually a picture of my VGA cables since I can't seem to find my original composite/component cables that came in the box, but the plug is the same thing.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well then. I never even noticed that before. Still, most receivers having only one Optical Input, that really puts a damper on any other devices you may want quality sound out of.

If you have a receiver, I think the best idea is HDMI to your TV and Optical from TV to Receiver.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment