As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guitar Folks, can you advise me on some picks?

Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Howdy, for as long as ive been playing guitar ive always used the Dunlop Nylon picks, an assorted range of which are here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/6-Jim-Dunlop-Nylon-Picks/dp/B000Q8479G/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263664118&sr=8-8

I find the range of pick sizes quite appealing and have generally had no real issue with them. This being said I cant help but think I can get a better quality set of plectrums to fix some of the smaller issues I have with these ones. The principle issue is that sometimes I find the ident grip is not sufficient, the pick will become dislodged from my fingers mid rhythm which is a pain. This isnt that common, but common enough that I may aswell try something new to alleviate the issue. So what im after is a pick with better grip, or perhaps failing this a solution to fix the grip issue.

Thanks for the advice.

League of Legends - Enzo III
Zombie Monkey on

• Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I use celluloid picks, I only really have grip issues if my hands are particularly dry. Could this be your issue?

I've also heard of people making holes in guitar picks to add texture and make them less slippery.

oldsak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    id heard sandpaper too was a good idea. I do suffer from very very dry hands and some eczema around this time of year.

A quick search for celluloid picks brings this up

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-Genuine-Celluloid-Pick-Medium/dp/B0009E3F4A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1263665420&sr=8-2

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I use either those or the Fender ones, it doesn't really matter.

When my hands are overly dry I'll wet the pick with my mouth. Yeah, I'm gross.

oldsak on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nearly everyone I know uses the Dunlop Tortex picks of whatever their preferred thickness is and then scuffs them with sandpaper or uses a razor blade to cut some lines into them for grip if they have trouble with them.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    somebody gave me a couple of these and I like them

they're textured and come in different thicknesses (I like the black one the red is too soft for the acoustic)

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just use Dunlop Nylon .73mm picks.

If you are having grip issues, just use a razor blade to cut into the pick (cross hatch) and you'll have a tough time dropping it.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Gator-Grip-Standard-Picks?sku=110310
    Dunlop Gator Grip. Nothing better.
    I've tried various jazz picks and other plain picks, but found them too slippery.
    My fingers would start to sweat and I'd lose my grip.
    Got a bunch of 2.0mm Gator Grips, and no problems here.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The "Brain" picks linked above worked well for me too. Very easy to grip.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Gator-Grip-Standard-Picks?sku=110310
    Dunlop Gator Grip. Nothing better.
    I've tried various jazz picks and other plain picks, but found them too slippery.
    My fingers would start to sweat and I'd lose my grip.
    Got a bunch of 2.0mm Gator Grips, and no problems here.

Did a check up and these sound spot on 2mm is a bit thick for my liking so ill stick with .71 and .96

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    You could also try putting a finger pick on you thumb or finger and hold your hand the same way. I'm not sure if you can wear it upside-down, but that would be just like holding a normal pick but with just a little more hold.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just use the Fender Celluloid Picks that come in packs of like, 15 for $4 or something, and have never had any problems particularly with the pick in terms of holding on, regardless of how crazy I'm going.

How are you holding the pick? I used to drop picks like it was my job, and then realized, holy shit, I've been holding my pick all wrong, no duh I've been dropping picks. If you hold it so just a little of it is coming out of the side of your thumb and you're making some sort of bastardized "Ok" gesture while playing, then it's a lot more difficult to drop them, because you have most of the pick in a pretty secure grip.

Khavall on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    I just use the Fender Celluloid Picks that come in packs of like, 15 for $4 or something, and have never had any problems particularly with the pick in terms of holding on, regardless of how crazy I'm going.

How are you holding the pick? I used to drop picks like it was my job, and then realized, holy shit, I've been holding my pick all wrong, no duh I've been dropping picks. If you hold it so just a little of it is coming out of the side of your thumb and you're making some sort of bastardized "Ok" gesture while playing, then it's a lot more difficult to drop them, because you have most of the pick in a pretty secure grip.

Seconded. I used to hold my picks with only the very ends of my thumb, index and middle fingers. When I switched to a more closed fist type of thing, I dropped my picks less and accuracy, stamina and speed improved from not picking from the wrist but rather the forearm.

Still, I sometimes to hatch them or put a couple of holes in them to be sure.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »

Seconded. I used to hold my picks with only the very ends of my thumb, index and middle fingers. When I switched to a more closed fist type of thing, I dropped my picks less and accuracy, stamina and speed improved from not picking from the wrist but rather the forearm.

Still, I sometimes to hatch them or put a couple of holes in them to be sure.

Hell, I recently had a super-important audition, and used fresh, non-modified standard picks from the local music store in their case. I opened a new case for it. Through the audition, I had absolutely no problem with holding on.

If you hold the pick the recommended "proper" way, it's very hard to drop them, and that makes picks a lot cheaper. Fuck, I go through a pick per serious night on guitar, but it's not from dropping, it's because I just hold on to picks long enough to wear the shit out of them. And if I was using anything other than the super-cheap picks that would be crazy expensive.

Khavall on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I usually just pick up a pack of Dunlop Tortex's and score the sides. I also began holding the pick with the side of my index finger rather than the pad, which helped a lot.

Personally, the only time I drop picks is when I'm playing softly. For some reason my hand has this weird correlation between how hard I'm strumming and how hard I'm holding the pick. I drop more picks when I'm doing soft muted stuff more than anything. :(

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    McVikingMcViking Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have one friend who swears by Gorilla Snot. I personally hate the stuff, but then I very seldom have pick-dropping issues. For me, it has everything to do with pick gauge and playing style.

McViking on
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I know this wasn't your question, but if you can, try to pick with wrist movements and not your forearm. Your arm will get tired much more quickly and if you're into anything remotely fast you could screw up your arm.
    Wrist-movements all the way, brah.

Oh, and I use Dunlop Jazz 3s because they're tiny, sharp and thick. :P

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I go for the Dunlop Tortex stuff the most. The "textured" feel they have tends to warrant better grip.

If you have sweaty hands then you may simply want to just invest in some baby powder. Or you may want to pick up a thinner gauge that molds across the bends of your fingers better.

Sheep on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hold my picks so close to the tip that the usual "grip spot" doesn't even touch the pads of my fingers. When I play, I press the tip of my thumb against the first joint of my index finger. Only a few mm of the pick protrude, maybe 5mm tops. But I use metal picks now, and those are easy to hold onto - and they basically last forever.

iglidante on