As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need a Better Blender for Fruit Smoothification

DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat!I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok I need some advice. I think I've outstripped the usefulness of the cheap blender I bought when first moved out, and need to upgrade. I've started to (try to) make my own smoothies at home, and discovered how woefully lacking my $40 Black and Decker CrushMaster in this ability. It's time to step up to the big leagues of blending.

My price range tops off at $200, but if I could get a nice blender for under $150 I'd be ok with that. Here's the two blenders I've been looking at.

KitchenAid 5 Speed Blender w/ Polycarbonate Jar -- Metallic Chrome
Breville Ikon Blender BBL550XL

Which would you pick? Any other suggestions?

camo_sig2.png
I never finish anyth
Decius on

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You're going to be shocked at how cheap a blender I'm going to show you, but I am so impressed with this beast that it is the only Amazon review I've written.
    http://www.amazon.com/Oster-BPST02-B-Professional-Blender-Black/dp/B000FBLQLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264993772&sr=8-1
    Behold the full metal drive system, manly on/off toggle switch (no wasted buttons), and a heavy duty container.

edit: Oh god... you're Canadian. Sigh, complications. Amazon.ca doesn't carry the blender I suggested but you might want to try another vendor. I seriously don't see how I could break this motor short of smashing it with a sledge hammer.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have the KitchenAid one--it's pretty powerful. I've never made smoothies, but it does a good job of pureeing things for soups and whatnot.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was going to recommend a Vita-Mix like the ones I've used in several restaurants, but then I looked at the cost. Jesus. Effective though.

Esh on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You're going to be shocked at how cheap a blender I'm going to show you, but I am so impressed with this beast that it is the only Amazon review I've written.
    http://www.amazon.com/Oster-BPST02-B-Professional-Blender-Black/dp/B000FBLQLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264993772&sr=8-1
    Behold the full metal drive system, manly on/off toggle switch (no wasted buttons), and a heavy duty container.

edit: Oh god... you're Canadian. Sigh, complications. Amazon.ca doesn't carry the blender I suggested but you might want to try another vendor. I seriously don't see how I could break this motor short of smashing it with a sledge hammer.
    I have this exact blender. The base on mine is chrome, though. But I've had it for ten years, and it hasn't wavered in its ability to turn solid things into not so solid things very quickly.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I have this exact blender. The base on mine is chrome, though. But I've had it for ten years, and it hasn't wavered in its ability to turn solid things into not so solid things very quickly.

This is the same one I have as well and I use it for cooking/chef-ing at home and am really happy with it.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was going to recommend a Vita-Mix like the ones I've used in several restaurants, but then I looked at the cost. Jesus. Effective though.

I was just about to suggest the Blendtec Blender, but it's in the same $500-range, so that is probably way out of the OPs price range. But it does a really good job on liquifying just about anything.

http://www.blendtec.com/willitblend/ - that's just a fun site to visit :)

Looking at the reviews for the suggested Oster blender, it sounds like it does a good job on ice cubes, but not such a good job on frozen fruit. I would be curious how well it does with fresh fruit, as I would think fresh fruit would be better for smoothies.

Selner on
    edited February 2010
    I just made a smoothie using only frozen fruit and milk.
    It is delicious. I do not know what those people are talking about.

Improvolone on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I got the Breville Ikon blender from Woot for $80. It's the best blender I've ever used. I love the thing. Seriously, I now cook more foods that need to go in a blender than I ever have thanks to that thing. It works well for smoothies and stuff too, but you can do so much more with a blender. Like soups!

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cooks Illustrated has this one at the top of the normal blender list: KitchenAid 5-Speed

KalTorak on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have this one, and though it's a very powerful blender there are 2 main issues with it: (1) there is always some leaking when smoothie-making, where the base meets the blade/gasket and (2) it really needs more then 2 speeds.

(1) is mainly gross, but also will likely result in having to replace the blender since it leakes down and looks like it's getting into the drive mechanism. (2) is really annoying for blending anything with a thick consistency; I don't know what ice-breaker is supposed to do, but it effectively only has 2 speeds. Low is good for breaking up froxen fruit, but when you're trying to get something smooth Hi is just too fast; it spins out and causes an air bubble to form over the blade and then you get no blending until you stop and let the air bubble out.

So if I get a new one it's going to have an attached base and be variable speed.

Djeet on
    edited February 2010
    Oh, that reminds me -- one thing I really like about the Breville is that the container comes apart completely. It's easy to put in a dishwasher and have it come completely clean, and they even include a tool to tighten it in case your rubber gasket starts to wear away and you get a leak. Normally I can just tighten it with my fingers but I keep the tool around just in case.

The cleaning aspect was one thing I didn't like about the old cheap blender I had, especially as I didn't have a dishwasher for a long time.

EggyToast on
    edited February 2010
    Best way to clean a blender? Shortly after using it, hot water, dish soap, blend, rinse.

Improvolone on
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    neville wrote: »

This is the same one I have as well and I use it for cooking/chef-ing at home and am really happy with it.

I came to the thread to recommend this blender as well, I have the chrome base too. I haven't actually taken it apart in the two years I've had it, nor did I think to "blend" to clean it, I always just wash it by hand, either right away or after leaving some water soaking in it, never had any problems.
    It turns frozen solid fruit & whatever liquid I add into delicious smoothie. Sometimes it creates an air gap by the blade but you just stop blending and poke it with a spoon or whatever and then it's back to blending.

I keep my blender right by my fridge, it takes me under a minute to make a smoothie.

protip: press your tongue to the top of your mouth to cure brain freeze!

enjoy!

Dman on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think I'm going to go with the Breville BBL600XL based on a couple reviews saying it's on par with the Vita-Mix blender. Now I just need to find it on sale...

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited February 2010
    Best way to clean a blender? Shortly after using it, hot water, dish soap, blend, rinse.

I don't know, I like the "take apart and let the dishwasher do it" still :D

EggyToast on
    edited February 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »

I don't know, I like the "take apart and let the dishwasher do it" still :D

Yea, I do that now and then. But I make a smoothie every day and don't run my dishwasher every day.

Improvolone on