As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 1&2 - Ahhhhhh yes, the "REAPERS".

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    The Shadow Broker's probably a Reaper.

My problem with these theories is if...
    Harbinger and the Shadow Broker are Reapers, why the hell wouldn't you send them both in during the attack on the Citadel? They definitely would have won that battle with three times the firepower.

not to mention that
    if the shadow broker is a reaper, why would he try and sell sheps body to the collectors?

And why would the Shadow Broker hire Wrex to kill Fist when Fist turncoats and joins Saren, no longer selling to the SB?
    Makes no sense. The SB is not for the Reapers.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Is it possible to get to level 30 on the first playthrough?

If you import a level 60 character from ME1 and do every single quest in ME2 then yes, I got to level 29 on my first playthrough and I skipped a decent number of the side quests.

It's actually a lot easier than that. I imported a level 48 character who hit 30 before entering the final quest. It's very easy to cap out in this game.

Edit: That is with the xp bonus. So technically not on your very first playthrough without a high level import.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, things we'll possibly discover in ME3.. may as well spoiler them..
    * Reaper tech was used to rebuild Shepard, so you're semi-reaper
    * The engine core of the normandy (that big spherical thing in engineering) isn't just a element zero engine core but possibly from Sovereign itself
    * The lazarus project massively increased Shepards life span (this is slightly out there, but it sort of makes sense if they want to do future ME games beyond 3 with Shepard.. for example they could skip 50 years or however many years they like.. it'd be a good way to stop themselves from being locked in with most of the the old characters from ME 1 & 2)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know what this game needs?

Pinnacle Station.

Well, not Pinnacle Station necessarily, but a way to get instant combat. Maybe go out into Tuchanka and fight some mofos in the wastelands or something. I want to shoot some dudes!

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    evilthecat wrote: »

If you import a level 60 character from ME1 and do every single quest in ME2 then yes, I got to level 29 on my first playthrough and I skipped a decent number of the side quests.

if you complete ME2 you get a 15 or 25% bonus to XP gained.
    I did a second me1imp game and got to 30 waaaay ahead of the final stages of the game.

guys, i'm having an issue with this game.
    and the more i think about it the more it drives me spare.

how the hell do biotics actually do any of the listed things their abilities mention?
    mass effect fields could AT BEST render the mass of any object to zero.
    this does not (the codex even says so) accelerate the object in anyway shape or form.

In the case of singularity, you're generating a mass effect field that adds a shitton of density to a subatomic particle, which creates a singularity capable of sucking in objects. Lift/Pull probably works very similar to that reasoning and probably nullifies the mass of the target to make lifting easier. Warp is described as a series of unstable mass effect fields that cause "rapid asymmetrical mass changes" that cause the target to rip itself apart. Barrier surrounds the user with a high gravity field which slows incoming projectiles. I'm sure every other power can be described by a combination of those effects.

I also agree with the above post. Pinnacle Station would be a lot of fun. I also think the game could have a fun class based multiplayer mode (you obviously couldn't have the whole toolbox a class does, would have to be trimmed down). Not that I think it will get one, but it would be interesting to see.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How does Shockwave work against barriers/shields/armor on insane?

Never got to test the stuff fully.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    How does Shockwave work against barriers/shields/armor on insane?

Never got to test the stuff fully.

It's as effective as farting in their general direction.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Exciting "plot hole rationale" type stuff:

Sovereign, Harbinger and the collectors didn't simultaneously attack the Citadel for a variety of possible reasons:
    1. Harbinger is in dark space, remotely controlling collectors (although the remote control aspect seems a bit far fetched, let's assume it's somewhat similar to TIM/Normandy's quantum entanglement communication).

2. Against a fleet the collector vessel would likely suffer catastrophic defeat. The ship was suitably pummeled by the ground-based defenses from the human colony (not really severely from what I recall, though). They may have a relatively powerful main gun, but their shields aren't inpenetrable. With the size of the fleet the Alliance brings to the battle the difference would be negligible (even before Sheperd's decision the human fleet rivals the turian fleet...and only the 5th Fleet is actually called in to defend the Citadel immediately).

3. The collectors may be the reapers back-up plan. They've been harvesting random species with genetic peculiarities for years, but only after Sovereign's defeat do they start harvesting whole colonies in an effort to build a new reaper.

4. As a complete alternative, Bioware may completely switch things around and actually have Sovereign be a giant dreadnought that Saren found that's not a reaper. The council was right all along to believe Sheperd was going reaper-crazy that early. Albeit this option is highly unlikely.

The seekers are a bit enigmatic, so there are any number of reasons they weren't used against the Normandy. Any reason against why they would avoid this is speculation at best. Some options are:
    1. Seekers don't work well in tightly confined spaces with an abundance of air-tight rooms.
    2. The collectors were concerned the ship's atmosphere would immediately be vented and their boarding parties wouldn't be able to do anything on-board.
    3. The Normandy's mass effect fields for producing artificial gravity prevent seekers from navigating properly.
    4. Paralyzing seekers were designed against human targets and the collectors were expecting a half-alien crew (which happened to be out on a mission).
    5. Seekers are expensive and the collector leader's not made out of money, leave him alone!

An alternative option for both potential plot holes: Bioware messed up their lore.
    How is the first 1 far-fetched? We witness Harbinger giving up control of the collector general.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    UNIVERSAL CODE FOR DR. PEPPER ITEMS: CBEEAAAE4L9N

You can enter gibberish to "create a Dr. Pepper account" and redeem the code to get you all three visors (link it to your real EA Account). This also works for the Spore, Sims 3 and Battlefield Heroes items.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I did a second me1imp game and got to 30 waaaay ahead of the final stages of the game.

how the hell do biotics actually do any of the listed things their abilities mention?
    this does not (the codex even says so) accelerate the object in anyway shape or form.

In the case of singularity, you're generating a mass effect field that adds a shitton of density to a subatomic particle, which creates a singularity capable of sucking in objects. Lift/Pull probably works very similar to that reasoning and probably nullifies the mass of the target to make lifting easier. Warp is described as a series of unstable mass effect fields that cause "rapid asymmetrical mass changes" that cause the target to rip itself apart. Barrier surrounds the user with a high gravity field which slows incoming projectiles. I'm sure every other power can be described by a combination of those effects.

I also agree with the above post. Pinnacle Station would be a lot of fun. I also think the game could have a fun class based multiplayer mode (you obviously couldn't have the whole toolbox a class does, would have to be trimmed down). Not that I think it will get one, but it would be interesting to see.

Mass Fortress 2.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hehe, a little oopsie on Biowares part: Mass Effect 2 text illegibility on SD TVs a design decision

Most people I know who either do or do not have hd ready tv's typically have them connected up via scart etc. So they're usually watching or playing video/games at standard def. You'd be surprised the number of people ignorant about setting the output correctly or buying hdmi cables.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    UNIVERSAL CODE FOR DR. PEPPER ITEMS: CBEEAAAE4L9N Redeem at DrPepper.com

You can enter gibberish to "create a Dr. Pepper account" and redeem the code to get you all three visors (link it to your real EA Account). [You need to make a new gibberish account everytime you want to redeem the code] This also works for the Spore, Sims 3 and Battlefield Heroes items.

BOTP'd

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You can enter gibberish to "create a Dr. Pepper account" and redeem the code to get you all three visors (link it to your real EA Account). This also works for the Spore, Sims 3 and Battlefield Heroes items.

Just tried it on the redeem code bit of the Bioware site, unless you're meant to be entering it somewhere else?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hehe, a little oopsie on Biowares part: Mass Effect 2 text illegibility on SD TVs a design decision

Most people I know who either do or do not have hd ready tv's typically have them connected up via scart etc. So they're usually watching or playing video/games at standard def. You'd be surprised the number of people ignorant about setting the output correctly or buying hdmi cables.

eh, it's not that bad. I have an SD tv and the only text that's really difficult to read are those little pop-ups when you get a new quest or some new research or something.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Just tried it on the redeem code bit of the Bioware site, unless you're meant to be entering it somewhere else?

Probably on Dr.Pepper's site. The people running the promotion.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, if people think ME2's text is hard to read? Go play some Dead Rising.

ME2 has made me want to get an HDTV, but for vastly different reasons than text size.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, if people think ME2's text is hard to read? Go play some Dead Rising.

Second that one.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Looks like I got it. Thank you.

Damn, that Sentry Visor looks rad.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man the PC version spoiled me. I'm testing the 360 version and it just looks washed out in comparison. It's kinda jarring. Oh well, soldiering on.

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ME2 has made me want to get an HDTV, but for vastly different reasons than text size.

It's so worth it, if only just for Grunt/Krogan close-ups. Seriously, Krogans look fucking awesome.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ProtoSound wrote: »
    Man the PC version spoiled me. I'm testing the 360 version and it just looks washed out in comparison. It's kinda jarring. Oh well, soldiering on.

The PC version is one of the sexiest games I've ever played. I seriously doubt the 360 version looks even half as good. It probably still looks great, but you know what I mean

Sakeido on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For ATI users, there is a hotfix that allows you to force antialiasing through ccc. It says crossfire only, but it's working fine for my single 5850.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/force-Anti-Aliasing-support-in-Crossfire.aspx

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kuratosu wrote: »

It's so worth it, if only just for Garrus/Nihlus/Saren/Sidonis/random close-ups. Seriously, Turians look fucking awesome.

Sakeido on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    Exciting "plot hole rationale" type stuff:

Sovereign, Harbinger and the collectors didn't simultaneously attack the Citadel for a variety of possible reasons:
    1. Harbinger is in dark space, remotely controlling collectors (although the remote control aspect seems a bit far fetched, let's assume it's somewhat similar to TIM/Normandy's quantum entanglement communication).

2. Against a fleet the collector vessel would likely suffer catastrophic defeat. The ship was suitably pummeled by the ground-based defenses from the human colony (not really severely from what I recall, though). They may have a relatively powerful main gun, but their shields aren't inpenetrable. With the size of the fleet the Alliance brings to the battle the difference would be negligible (even before Sheperd's decision the human fleet rivals the turian fleet...and only the 5th Fleet is actually called in to defend the Citadel immediately).

3. The collectors may be the reapers back-up plan. They've been harvesting random species with genetic peculiarities for years, but only after Sovereign's defeat do they start harvesting whole colonies in an effort to build a new reaper.

4. As a complete alternative, Bioware may completely switch things around and actually have Sovereign be a giant dreadnought that Saren found that's not a reaper. The council was right all along to believe Sheperd was going reaper-crazy that early. Albeit this option is highly unlikely.

The seekers are a bit enigmatic, so there are any number of reasons they weren't used against the Normandy. Any reason against why they would avoid this is speculation at best. Some options are:
    1. Seekers don't work well in tightly confined spaces with an abundance of air-tight rooms.
    2. The collectors were concerned the ship's atmosphere would immediately be vented and their boarding parties wouldn't be able to do anything on-board.
    3. The Normandy's mass effect fields for producing artificial gravity prevent seekers from navigating properly.
    4. Paralyzing seekers were designed against human targets and the collectors were expecting a half-alien crew (which happened to be out on a mission).
    5. Seekers are expensive and the collector leader's not made out of money, leave him alone!

An alternative option for both potential plot holes: Bioware messed up their lore.
    How is the first 1 far-fetched? We witness Harbinger giving up control of the collector general.
    His control really isn't in question, just the technology behind it. The reapers are still well out in the space between galaxies, but Harbinger can control individual collectors on the fly anywhere. This implies technology even more developed than TIM's quantum entanglement device.

...which itself is sort of ridiculous since it apparently transmits an entire 3D holographic representation of 2 people and an office on the electron configurations of a single atom. But it wouldn't be very exciting to spend an hour to read one sentence.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Mass Fortress 2.

All players would have layers of shield, armor and health, and play classes that are reduced to 2ish abilities, their class unique ability and one other ability that class can have (Potentially player chosen , example, Infiltrator could have Cloak and Incinerate, Adept could use Warp and Singularity). This way, in order to actually get anything done, you'd have to work as a squad to defeat your enemies, focus firing and taking out enemy players in unison to work through levels of armor quickly. Potentially add squad healing abilities on a long cooldown on say, an Engineer, who could have Combat Drone and Reboot, capable of reactivating shields on a target. This would allow for defense at the cost of losing a skill for offense.

Likely? No. I think it could be fun if properly balanced though.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Legion spoilers
    I actually kinda don't like the Quarians that much after talking to him about their past. It's like, if dogs started talking so we killed all the dogs, then the dogs rebelled and we were all "wtf why dogs?!" and left the Earth.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, just beat the game last night. Man that was fun and awesome, but naturally I have a question:
    I ended up with a good portion of the Normandy crew dead, and 2 squadmates dead. For the latter, I realize now it's because I didn't understand what the game was wanting. I figured the list of squadmates it gave me to choose from for those teams at the end were all capable, but apparently you have to choose specific ones.

My question is with the former. I was told that after getting the IFF, you pretty much want to book it to the end so that Kelly and a bunch of the crew don't die. After getting the IFF, I quickly did Legion's loyalty quest and then headed through the Omega Relay, and yet that still happened. What is the exact trigger for your crew dying or not?

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    So, just beat the game last night. Man that was fun and awesome, but naturally I have a question:
    I ended up with a good portion of the Normandy crew dead, and 2 squadmates dead. For the latter, I realize now it's because I didn't understand what the game was wanting. I figured the list of squadmates it gave me to choose from for those teams at the end were all capable, but apparently you have to choose specific ones.

My question is with the former. I was told that after getting the IFF, you pretty much want to book it to the end so that Kelly and a bunch of the crew don't die. After getting the IFF, I quickly did Legion's loyalty quest and then headed through the Omega Relay, and yet that still happened. What is the exact trigger for your crew dying or not?

I dunno what happened but on my playthrough
    The game let me do Legion's mission before the crew was taken

Sakeido on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Machismo wrote: »

Looks like I got it. Thank you.

Damn, that Sentry Visor looks rad.

Yep, just got the umbra specs. Which look a tad bit silly.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This just in: All the DLC is shit compared to stock items.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Except for the Sentry Visor.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I dunno about that, the Umbra Specs are pretty good, and the Hood is good for a flat damage boost across the board.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Houn wrote: »

It was the best looking of the 3 Dr Pepper things, but I still preferred my headshot thingy visor as far as looks go.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

The trigger is after you leave on the shuttle and crew gets taken, you can do only 1 'main' mission or 2 'n7' missions without losing the crew, but if that's true or not I'm not sure. I'm going to be testing this on my current playthrough. Are you sure you only did legion's side quest after?

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hello! What's all this then!

Free in-game content in a couple weeks for those who have activated Cerberus Network! Stay tuned for more details. http://bit.ly/9HJvqx

EDIT: Are you guys able to get more than 1 item with that redeem code? It's saying it's used up here, perhaps create a second or third dr pepper account?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Unfortunately I'm forced to wear the Geordi Laforge Special since I like seeing my Shep's face :(

Otherwise...I'd perma-wear the Death Mask.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Houn wrote: »

It was the best looking of the 3 Dr Pepper things, but I still preferred my headshot thingy visor as far as looks go.

I'm running a sentinel with Tech Shields. That percentage-based bonus from the Sentry Visor gets a good deal of kick when you're already starting with a huge base number.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

The trigger is after you leave on the shuttle and crew gets taken, you can do only 1 'main' mission or 2 'n7' missions without losing the crew, but if that's true or not I'm not sure. I'm going to be testing this on my current playthrough. Are you sure you only did legion's side quest after?
    I'm positive that is the only one I did, hence the confusion, because I heard the same thing that you just said, so I made sure to have every single other mission done, and only did Legion's.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

This man is correct. Can we start sending in letters to Bioware to let them know that it is a BAD idea to give us items that completely cover our characters' faces? Cut it out with this "helmet attached to bonus armor" crap.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sakeido wrote: »

I dunno what happened but on my playthrough
    The game let me do Legion's mission before the crew was taken

It seems that
    You get one or two missions after the IFF before the crew gets taken (possibly the game lets you finish all your loyalty missions; I got to do legion's and tali's after the IFF mission), but as soon as the crew gets kidnapped you have to go immediately, or they start getting waxed.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.