As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

State of Emergency Labor Laws

LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello all,

I need to find out what laws protect workers during a state of emergency. Long story short, my father got fired from his job because he could not report in due to snow and drifting conditions that closed their road for 3 days after a big snow storm this week. Is an employer able to fire someone under those conditions? Please any info would help. I have been searching the internet all day with little luck. If it helps the state they live in is PA.

Laonar on

• DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What I can find suggests that a state of emergency has more to do with government authority and special funding allocation etc. It doesn't not convey any special rights to not be fired as far as I can tell.

Sounds like the boss is just being unreasonable and absent some sort of contract or union there is nothing you can do about it.

PA is an At Will employment state as far as I can tell so

"as a general rule, employees are at-will, absent a contract, and may be terminated at any time, for any reason or for no reason."

Shit's harsh. sorry.

Dman on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I just found some things saying the same thing. His old job offered him a different job. There has to be something out there protecting people from this kind of stuff. I will keep looking. I have a phone call with Senator of Harrisburg later today. To see what we can find out.

Laonar on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Was the road closed and no alternate route? He's probably got a case legally. Of course, talk to a lawyer first.

If his employer is going to be this big of a dickhead about inclement weather, chances are it's better to work for someone else. Weather that that part of the country hasn't seen in a looooong time and no one was prepared for.

Definitely file for unemployment right the fuck now though.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    tell us what state you live in.

ohio is employment-at-will, but if the termination can be proven to not have a 'good cause', your dad can collect hella unemployment

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited February 2010
    I just found some info.

As stated Pennslyvania is a "at will work state". However the employer has to have "just cause" to terminate an employer.

A few notes to that, employer must notify or warn employee of termination. I thinking I might be on to something.

Laonar on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    what you're on to is your dad collecting some fat unemployment checks that the company has to pay into every year.

enjoy!

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited February 2010
    I agree but he does not want to collect unemployment . Kinda crazy. I think though we might be on to something.

Laonar on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    He might be able to collect unemployment indefinitely if he's unable to find a job that pays for the same amount too. Meaning, he probably has to be paid his original wage on unemployment because his employer is a dick and wants someone to risk their life.

He probably doesn't want to, but tell him to do it anyways because that's what he and his employer pay into with his weekly wages.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for all the info and insights. I am going right direction now and was looking in the wrong places earlier.

Laonar on