As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

nm

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
edited October 2021 in Help / Advice Forum

NightDragon on

• Options
    MonkeighyMonkeighy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It has been a while since I bought one so I can't give many specifics but here goes anyway.

If you are using the suit for swimming then you will want the thinnest suit you can get away with and stay warm. The thicker the suit the less flexibility you will have, most suits that are used for water sports are too thick to swim normally in.

Make sure you try the suit on before you buy it, or at least go to a shop and try some if you are going to order online. Different suits fit differently and it will be useful to have a wander about and test the range of movement the suit allows you.

Most companies do ladies suits but most of the sizing is based on height and build anyway so it doesn't make much difference.

Good luck and let me know if you manage to get something!

Monkeighy on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    you also might want to just consider a farmer jane. it ls a sleeveless suit. honestly what i would do is go with a thin suit ad pick up some thin base layer to wear under it. it would be more versatile i think

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm a fairly avid scuba diver. I own a 2/3mm and a 5mm. I now wear my 5mm in pretty much every water temp outside of Canada. I'm a skinny guy and I really feel the cold. However, you're swimming, not diving. You'll be keeping yourself warmer by moving, and you'll be much closer to the sun. But low 60's. Man that's cold. In the low 70's I put on a dry suit. Again, big difference between scuba and swimming.

What kind of swimming are we talking about? If you keep moving constantly, you'll need much less protection.

Check out your local dive shop, most will rent wet suits for the day. See what they offer, and try one out. You'll know if it keeps you warm enough before you drop the money on your own.

For a woman, make sure you're buying a woman's suit. They're obviously cut differently. When you try it on, get a friend, or the person at the shop to check for slack at the small of your back. This is the most common place for women to find their suits not fitting. Putting on a full body suit should be a bit of a workout if you've never done it before. If you slide right into it, it's not tight enough.

As for brands. 'Bare' used to make great stuff for the price, but they recently started a line of super expensive suits that aren't worth the money IMHO. Akona is good, Henderson is good. But the best wet suit is one that fits. Although you can get good prices online, unless you've already tried on the exact same suit in the same size, I'd caution against buying a wet suit without trying it on. There are way too many variables.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Whatever you do, try stuff on. I don't have a wet suit but I do have some neoprene pieces because I paddle year round. And make sure to wash your suit after every use, unwashed neoprene becomes extremely smelly.

Is there any surfing in your part of the world? A surf shop would be a good place to start your search.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Talk to people at a surf shop near the ocean. Surfers in the north atlantic all wear wet/drysuits, so they'll be able to get you fitted and kitted reasonably quickly. Do shop around, and don't buy from the first store you walk into.

Robman on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm a fairly avid scuba diver. I own a 2/3mm and a 5mm. I now wear my 5mm in pretty much every water temp outside of Canada. I'm a skinny guy and I really feel the cold. However, you're swimming, not diving. You'll be keeping yourself warmer by moving, and you'll be much closer to the sun. But low 60's. Man that's cold. In the low 70's I put on a dry suit. Again, big difference between scuba and swimming.

70's for a dry suit? I still wear 5mm at 12 degrees (50F).

If the OP is starting to get chilly at 60 then a 3 mm (steamer suit) should be enough. Neoprene works in two ways, the first is that the neoprene traps in heat, the second is that it keeps a layer of water around you at all times that can't be washed away. A 3mm suit does a lot. In terms of where to get one I would recommend a surf shop over a dive shop as the suits for divers do not need a full of range of motion as surfers do.

Blake T on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    70's for a dry suit? I still wear 5mm at 12 degrees (50F).

Yeah, I'm skinny, and I get cold really fast. I wear a 5mm and hood in 80 degree water. The drysuit is also way more comfortable then having my junk squished by a 7mm farmer john/shorty combo.

Excellent advice on the surf shop. I was thinking the same thing, I don't know if they have their own wetsuits to give them more mobility, or if they just wear 2/3mm.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For a woman, make sure you're buying a woman's suit. They're obviously cut differently.

this is really important. my dad bought my sister a wetsuit years ago, but he's a bargain shopper and thought a men's wetsuit would suit her just fine, and it really did not at all.

nothing quite as attractive as seeing a young lady sporting a suspicious bulgy-space between her legs, and wider shoulders than is usual.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The fit is crucial. It makes a huge difference.

I rented a lot of wetsuits that didn't fit quite right, and were awkward to get around in. Eventually I went shopping and found a winter suit (rip curl fireskin) that happens to fit me really really well. I get much better mobility than I ever did in any of the summer suits I rented, and can quite happily swim and surf about all day without ever feeling like I need to get out of the thing for a bit.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    also might be worth finding a kayak shop if you are near some rivers. we deal with much colder water than 60. before i got a drysuit, i would wear my farmer john with some thick baselayer tops and be comfy down to around 40-50.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    just a tip, but when we would dive, we'd bring along some baby powder to shake on the inside of the suits before putting them on. They're a tight fit and the baby powder makes sliding them on a million times easier.

Xaquin on