As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Update: Montreal Trip Suggestions

SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm going to be in the middle of Vermont in July for a wedding(gonna be hella gay). I'm trying to think of good places to visit that would be relatively nearby(or possibly on a flight route there) and not terribly expensive.

My top two options now are flying back through New York and staying for a day or two, or driving from Vermont to Montreal.

New York seems like it's going to be really damn expensive, both because the additional flight cost might be an additional $100 or so, but the hotel rates could be as much as $50 extra, and any extra inflated prices due to it being New York. On the plus side, no rental car. Going to Montreal would mostly be based on the desire to go to Canada, and it'll be cheaper.

There's also the possibility of turning a layover in Chicago into a longer stay(I don't know why but this raises total flight cost), or going to Boston, but there's just nothing about those cities that I know about, that seems interesting. I think they haven't penetrated my cultural mind in the way that New York does.

Can anyone recommend any particularly awesome places to visit up there, even if they're not big cities?

Update: Now going to Montreal.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
Septus on

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Where in VT?

You could always come visit Springfield. *Snicker*

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Whoops, it'll be in Stowe.

Septus on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Visit the Cabot store for yummy cheese. Visit the Ben & Jerry's factory. There's a place that makes some good fruit wine in Stowe a lil past B&J. It's right by a cider place (get some cider donuts).

We actually stopped in Stowe for syrup, cider and cheese on the way back to Boston from Montreal. And Montreal was amazing. If you can go there, do it.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How about parks or general natural areas? There are clearly a lot in the area, but the choices are too many.

Septus on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    It's Vermont, dude.

There ain't shit to do there but ski and get lost in the woods.

Edit: And if I remember correctly, the state has some kind of beautification law which means no chain restaurants or gas stations or any stuff like that. Crowing might be able to clarify that since he lives up by the VT border.

But man, I'm not even kidding. It's a pretty dull state.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Stowe is pretty far upstate, and not too close to anything that would be considered an urban destination.

I believe Justin's right in that VT is not too friendly to development. VT is full of "nice little towns" that are a ton of fun to stop in if you're driving to a destination, but nothing that's really too exciting.

There are many, many vacation spots around the state on beautiful lakes. I've been to a few and I can say that they're pleasant, in the "this is Vermont so nothing is happening" kind of way. If you're into nature, hiking, kayaking/boating these little "resorts" can be a ton of fun.

Your best bet for a urban, exciting vacation would be either NYC or Montreal. The drive to Montreal isn't too bad from Stowe and the city comes highly recommended (I've never been there myself). Chicago is one of my favorite cities, so I can get behind that.

Yeah, VT is a dull state.

Stowe is a pretty "tourist" location due to the mountains, so starting by calling the resort for a "what's around" is your best bet. Otherwise Montreal sounds pretty do-able. That's where my vote would go.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah VT is fine for like a weekend in Burlington just relaxing or something, or if you like skiing that's cool (and Stowe is a skiing town). But its about as rural as you can get so unless you like hiking and the like.... If you're going to go on a random drive be aware that while the Northeast Kingdom can look very nice, the locals tend to be...eccentric is too nice, Deliverance-ish might be a bit too far.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    First things first: it's "wickid quea'" up heah, not "hella gay."

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So I still haven't decided, but I'm trying to nail down some New York costs a bit better.

When I look on Kayak.com for hotels in New York, and see a bunch in Manhattan for $75, should I assume that they will have shared bathrooms and/or generally be really shitty? For a comparison, I know the Pod Hotel is also in Manhattan, and somewhat well known, and that's even $110ish and is dormish/shared in some sense.

Septus on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    $75 sounds like it would be frightening here, cos I remember trying to get a hotel for my parents in Boston and wouldn't get anything even close to that. Unless it's some "this room normally goes for $175" last-minute online deal or something.

riz on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Update and question: I decided on Montreal, the week of July 19th.

My friend and I are trying to decide on where to get our hotel and transportation issues. We can definitely stay just across from the airport, but it may turn out that we can stay just southeast of the Mount Royal park area. This sounds awesome(Y/N?), but it means parking becomes a big issue. Just keeping the car at the hotel will be a little expensive.

How much of the really great stuff to do in Montreal is in that area?

With that as our starting point, will the subway serve as a relatively quick means of transportation to basically anywhere we want to go? If we stayed near the airport, there's a 35ish minute bus ride just to get closer to the city, and total trips could be as long as an hour and 20 minutes or so.

Septus on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My sister lives there, I'll ask her for some suggestions. PM me if I forget to answer back here after the weekend.

NODe on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Keeping your car at the hotel is expensive? That's too bad. You'd be much better off using the public transport system. The downtown/old port areas will be bursting with people because of all the things going on. It can really a pain in the ass to drive around there during the summer, let alone finding a free/cheap parking spot.

You'll be in Montreal right in the middle of the "just for laughs" festival so walking around near Place-des-Arts is always fun. There's also the Fantasia Film festival going on if you guys enjoy watching asian horror, gangster and martial arts movies.

Edit:

plan.metro.montreal.gif

Being near Metro Mont-Royal makes you close to everything.

Along the orange line from Mont-Royal to Berri is St-Denis Street which is filled with bars and restaurants.

Downtown is basically on the green line from Place-des-Arts to Peel. That whole area (and even further west) is a big network of underground malls. South of Downtown you have the old port which can easliy be reached on foot if you're not in a hurry.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't stay anywhere near the airport, it's like fucking Kazakhstan over there, there is absolutely nothing of interest.

Where you want to be is in that little rectangle surrounded by the Green and Orange Metro lines above. Almost everything interesting is in walking distance of that area. So if you can get a hotel near there, it's cool. Metro Mont Royal is a great place as it's a short Metro trip from the action. You should find someplace to park the car cheaply on arrival and get around pretty much only by Metro/walking the whole week, it's the best way to go. Unfortunately, I don't know much about parking downtown, I usually public transit there.

Also, you're coming at a good time, as Fireflash mentioned.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dieu Du Ciel brewpub.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mount Royal is the big obvious tourist spot.

Other than that Montreal is well known for having better strip clubs than the rest of Canada if you're into that, also try poutine, it might sound a little weird but you will be addicted pretty fast.

I hope you know French or have an accent thats easily distinguishable from a Canadian accent - things may have changed but when I lived there my parents couldn't get service almost anywhere because they didn't speak French. A lot of French-Canadians actually know English but will refuse to speak it to English-Canadians, but will serve you in English if you sound foreign.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In other threads people have indicated that not knowing French is no problem. I think I mostly have the "neutral" midwestern, TV-broadcaster accent.

Septus on
  • Options
    Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    Dieu Du Ciel brewpub.

If you like beer, this place is the best. They brew many different kinds of beer and they are all delicious.

Edit: I have only once been told once by a server in the year I've lived here that they don't speak English, and this was in a hole in the wall bar that didn't even have a TV, and the woman was 50 years old. Language is not a problem.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah language won't be a problem. Also the playoffs will be over so no-one should try to flip you over and set fire to you, which is a plus.

My sister is in Quebec City frolicking with her boyfriend all weekend so I've got nothing more to help you out with unfortunately.

NODe on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    Dieu Du Ciel brewpub.

If you like beer, this place is the best. They brew many different kinds of beer and they are all delicious.

Edit: I have only once been told once by a server in the year I've lived here that they don't speak English, and this was in a hole in the wall bar that didn't even have a TV, and the woman was 50 years old. Language is not a problem.

I agree Dieu Du Ciel is pretty awesome. Also super crowded so go early.

Don't go to the biodome go to the biosphere. Or maybe the other way around.

edit: And don't think you have to go out of your way to find Poutine. It's nothing special.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Poutine is french fries, gravy, and mozzarella cheese curds. If you can imagine the taste of this together, you know what it will taste like. There's simply a billion variations, and people arguing about whose fries are the best, or whose gravy, or who uses authentic cheese curds blah blah blah.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    One more little technical detail. My passport expires in November, but I was warned that I might have some issue with it being accepted, so close to the expiration date(when I visit in late July). Is there any merit to that?

Septus on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Probably not.

If it hasn't expired it's still good.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    sYnistersYnister Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    first off, good choice and have fun

i know you said week of the 19th but if you show up in town on the 18th, you can catch the tail-end of the Just for Laughs comedy festival. get some tickets to the all-star gala and you should be a happy camper

http://montreal.hahaha.com/en/shows/vid%C3%A9otron-just-laughs-all-star-gala

sYnister on