As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] STALKER: Clear Sky - Bonus set!

Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden.Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
WELCOME TO THE ZONE

29-Copy.jpg

As with my prior LP, updates will be kept here so you don't have to scroll through the whole OP just to get to the most recent videos. I would highly recommend playing these on HD (especially since I went through all the trouble of uploading files large enough for HD). Keep in mind that I may sometimes have a set uploaded and ready for viewing, but the HD processing is not yet finished. If that happens, just wait a while if you want the HD version.

Set 1: Welcome (back) to the Zone! Set 2: Green is yellow Set 3: CREEPY EYES Set 4: Sigh Set 5: Stupid sleeping bag mod Set 6: Oh he's dead. Hey, free gun! Set 7: The Resumening Set 8: Off to Yantar Set 9: 53,594 zombies Set 10: Today on Star Trek: Barrels and RAGE Set 11: BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM AHAHAHAHA! Set 12 - So many dead hippies Set 13: The end. Um, surprise? Bonus set!
Contributors:
This is for folks who've helped with specific bits of the mods so I can fix them.
Madpanda - found out what I needed to remove enemy indicators from the PDA map.
WAH - dug up how I could fix one of the mods which gave me a ton of way too great stuff right at the game start.

About the game:
STALKER: Clear Sky is the prequel sequel to STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. Like the first game, it is something of an FPS RPG although the average player may not notice this at first. When you start the game, you're a complete weakling. By the time you finish, you can shrug off multiple bullet hits while accurately headshotting enemies at a hundred yards. This RPG focus is further reinforced by the addition of an upgrade system to the series which lets you choose upgrade paths for the various suits and weapons you find.

Clear Sky takes place before the first game in terms of the storyline of the games but was released well after the first game. Unlike the original, Clear Sky is almost completely playable as-is. You can repair weapons and suits and there are far fewer broken missions and game-crashing bugs. Unfortunately, it is also, relatively speaking, much more linear than the first game. And despite having fewer bugs there are still some rather glaring issues.

One was the broken faction warfare system, an ambitious AI project which was never completely fixed by the developers and was actually patched out to improve game stability. One mod in particular, Faction Commander, revives and fixes the faction warfare; however, I won't be dealing with the faction warfare in this LP so I'm not using it. The other major issue is grenades grenades grenades. The NPCs in this game will throw grenades like you honestly would not believe, both in terms of accuracy and frequency. However, I did fix at least their accuracy to something reasonable so they can't throw a grenade across a field and hit me directly in the face with it.

On the plus side, Clear Sky features an upgraded lighting system and an item upgraded system. The lighting elements are self-evident in the so-called "god rays" which, when present, are very obvious and quite remarkable. Gameplay-wise, the wonderful, wonderful upgrade system is, well, wonderful. To my knowledge, every weapon and armor in the game can be upgraded to some extent. Even the sawn-off shotgun can be modified for increased control or changed to only fire slug rounds. It's entirely feasible to finish the entire game with the starting rifle provided you're willing to hunt down the appropriate upgrades, though for the sake of viewer entertainment I won't be doing that.

My Let's Play objectives:
Obviously, number one on the list is entertaining the viewer. To facilitate that, I try to edit out anything which drags down the pace of the videos. A 10-minute firefight at midnight in a lightning storm is tense and fun to watch, but watching someone sprint across a landscape and loot bodies for 10 minute is pretty dull viewing.

I also do these vids to show people what the STALKER games are like. Between the setting and the rather unforgiving nature of the STALKER games, there's just something enormously appealing about these games. However, it would be very easy to overlook these games since they definitely don't get the same kind of acclaim a big series like Halo gets. So I want people to see and get drawn into the STALKER games themselves. Despite their various issues, the STALKER games are easily in my top 5 series of all time.

It wasn't like that when I played it!
The STALKER games have huge numbers of mods available, though Clear Sky doesn't feature nearly as many as Shadow of Chernobyl. Though a much more complete game than ShoC in one sense, Clear Sky could still use some help so I'm using a handful of mods to spruce up Clear Sky a bit. The easiest ones are just a couple of texture mods which make things look a bit nicer. Thanks to a couple people here on the forums, I was also able to fix up some other mods so no enemy indicators appear on the PDA maps and the one somewhat extensive mod I'm using doesn't give you stupidly overpowered crap. Provided the grouping proves to be bug-free, I plan on putting them up somewhere so other people can use them with minimal trouble. Oh, I also have grenades modded so when I inevitably have 3-4 grenades thrown at me, they don't land at my feet every single time and can much more easily fall on the safe side of a barrier.

Now to get you acquainted with the zone. First off, Stalkers:
1_024.jpg
Stalkers are the free agents of the Zone. They are there because they choose to be. Whatever they were outside, in here they're the equivalent of gold-boom prospectors. Finding the right artifact means a quick fortune and there are legends of unbelievable wealth hiding in the Zone for the right Stalker. By the very nature of their job, they have to be tough, smart, and, not surprisingly, often drunk.

In Clear Sky, the Stalkers are also classified into different "factions", though this won't matter much for this LP. Off the top of my head, the more conventional groups are Clear Sky, Freedom, Duty, and Loners, and a few others.
1.jpg

How about the common scummy adversaries of everybody, Bandits?
1_049.jpg
Bandits are, well, bandits. Rather than earn their own way in the Zone, they attempt to prey on others. Nobody likes these guys, so they have no real support base and tend to have pretty crappy equipment. Five or ten of these guys can make you have a real bad day, though. They tend to wander the Zone and live wherever they can, but are more prevalent in some areas than others. Everyone in the Zone also shoots them on sight, but they seem to multiply as fast as the mutants.

On a more academic note, we have scientists. Yes, weeny scientists do in fact enter the Zone.
1_009.jpg
Scientists are rare and place themselves in mortal peril for a very obvious reason: to figure out the zone. Obviously not the greatest fighters, they usually have protection via the government or hire willing Stalkers.
1_002.jpg

Let's not forget the Traders, the select few people who make the Zone at least livable and even sometimes bearable.
1_010.jpg1_022.jpg
Without Traders, you couldn't make it in the Zone. Legally or illegally, they get what Stalkers need. Outside of the government, these guys are how artifacts get funneled to the outside world. In turn, the Traders bring in food, protective gear, weapons, and, most importantly, ammunition. Knowing the location of a good cache doesn't mean squat if you don't have some of these to toss around:
23.jpg
As long as you have the cash, Traders will get you what you need. If you don't have the cash, they usually have jobs for you. Sometimes they need an "accident" to happen to the right person, sometimes they have a client looking for a special artifact, and sometimes they just need a piece of wild radioactive boar to make a special recipe. It's usually better if you don't ask.

There are other factions, but let's keep them a surprise for those who've not yet experienced STALKER. They range from the perfectly normal to the grotesque to "oh shit I really wish I had some grenades about now".
So without further ado, come in, Stalker! I've got something for you...
1_045.jpg

Ninja Snarl P on

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Time for a new LP! This time for Clear Sky, which is the sequel to Shadow of Chernobyl but the prequel in terms of the timeline. There shouldn't be any problems with the vids, but if there are, fell free to let me know.

For anyone interested in the first LP, the one for Shadow of Chernobyl, I am placing all the videos in this post for your convenience:
    Set 1 - Welcome to the Zone! Set 2 - A Night in the Zone Set 3 - It helps if you load the gun... Set 4 - Why would I even press that?! Set 5 - Getting down to business Set 6 - I love this gun Set 7 - WOOO! Set 8 - THE LAB! Set 9 - OH COME ON! Set 10 - Hee hee heee! Set 11 - Business as usual Set 12 - Feeling wheezy, buddy? Set 13 - LAB X16 Set 14 - You bastard! Set 15 - Bloodsucker bonanza Set 16 - I found more bloodsuckers! Set 17 - Not. Even. Funny. Set 18 - Stop touching me! Set 19-Rats. Burers. Bloodsuckers. Oh my. Set 20 - Pripyat: 'Tis a silly place. Set 21 - Chernobyl: GYAARGH, FWOOSH, BOOM! Set 22 - THE END Set 23 - Bonus - Crazy knife guy!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Uhh, the first set seems to be set to private? It won't let me watch them.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hybrid wrote: »
    Uhh, the first set seems to be set to private? It won't let me see them.

SHUT UP DON'T WHINE TO ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS!

Actually, I'm just dumb. Ironically, I did the exact same thing for the first set in the Shadow of Chernobyl LP and I guess this needed it as well to keep the universe symmetrical.

All fixed and public now.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would like to take this opportunity to inaugurate this thread with immaturity.
    of927q.jpg

Godspeed, stalker. They now hold the power of invincibility.

edit: Points of note:
    -Yo. Steve Blum is all up ins. He does a Russian accent. It sounds weird.

-Nimble is, to the best of my knowledge, the only character to appear in all three STALKER games. In SoC, he's the guy with the flash drive that you save on the first mission from Sidorovich (after which, he sleeps for the rest of the game). In CS, he's the guy in Lebedev's building that will not shut up about his stash information. In CoP, he's Zaton's mail-order weapons distribution manager.

-All pistols in CS have that zoom instead of iron sights, and it's very annoying if you have crosshairs turned off. Why did they change it for this game? I have no idea. They changed it back for Call of Pripyat. Also, crosshairs are for pussies. Just so you know.

-If you watched the SoC LP, you might have been confused that the jellyfish is now a -radiation artifact instead of a +bulletproof artifact. Pretty much every artifact name is associated with different stats in CS. Meat Chunks are now chemical protection instead of health regeneration. Mama's Beads now stop bleeding instead of increasing bullet resistance. Why did they mix everything up? I don't know.

-Not knowing why things were changed is a running theme with this game. You will find new things to be perplexed by probably until the end of the LP. CS makes a lot of good changes. It makes a lot of bad changes. It also makes a lot of completely arbitrary changes that confuse me to this day.

-The MP5 is awesome at the beginning of Clear Sky. It's dirt cheap to upgrade, there's ammo for it everywhere, and it gets almost as effective as an AK.

Monger on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    More S.T.A.L.K.E.R.!

Sweet.

Also, typing a period between every letter is awkward.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ugh, I remember one horrible moment in a long-ago playthrough involving bloodsuckers. Saw a body marker in a building, went to check it out, and not one but two bloodsuckers come after me inside the building. I sprint outside, then fill the building with every explosive I have and they never, ever die. They never stopped running around either.

For the sake of curiosity, I actually went inside the building with them. They completely ignored me and just kept running around, but the whole time I was in there I was just waiting for them to flip out and eat me. Frankly, I would've rather they actually did try to kill me because at least that would've been normal for bloodsuckers.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As I said in first video comments, I didn't expect it so soon - but it is welcome!

Hawk on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd totally watch this, but I'm winding up my first playthrough of SoC and CS is waiting in the wings, so I don't want to spoil it. I'll probably check it out once I'm done playing through CS, though.

So Godspeed NSP on this Let's Play, have fun and I'll be keeping an eye out for that mod pack.

Drake on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I recently stumbled upon your let's play of the original Stalker and I've been enjoying it, looking forward to seeing this one as well!!! I'm not terribly good at these games so it's great to see others play them.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So grenades are no longer super magical homing missles?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I haven't yet encountered them in this LP, but no, the grenades should no longer be 100% accurate. There's a fix listed in the STALKER thread which explains that apparently the grenade accuracy defaults to 100% unless given a different value. The vanilla game doesn't have that value so NPC grenades are always super-accurate; a line added to a couple weapon files fixes this up.

Theoretically, anyway.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Awesome! I left off my SoC playthrough absurdly close to the end, and can't seem to get going on CS really.
    Once again, I can vicariously enjoy Stalker through your suffering.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Say what now?

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tim James wrote: »
    Say what now?
    For the uniformed, this is the guy whose vocal credits are robust such like an audible Where's Waldo of video games and anime. You know. This guy.

If you didn't catch it, he's Clear Sky's trader, along with several other NPCs. And that accent is really distracting when you recognize his voice. He's in Metro 2033, too, with the same accent.

Monger on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ugh, I remember one horrible moment in a long-ago playthrough involving bloodsuckers. Saw a body marker in a building, went to check it out, and not one but two bloodsuckers come after me inside the building. I sprint outside, then fill the building with every explosive I have and they never, ever die. They never stopped running around either.

For the sake of curiosity, I actually went inside the building with them. They completely ignored me and just kept running around, but the whole time I was in there I was just waiting for them to flip out and eat me. Frankly, I would've rather they actually did try to kill me because at least that would've been normal for bloodsuckers.

Is this in the building
    Right across from that one freedom base with the weed guy (who's name I can't remember but I went to that same building just to see if I could cap him from it with an obokan)

If so I had the same thing happen to me and they acted about the same (after i finished crapping my pants).

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So glad I don't really recognize that voice in the slightest. I hate it when I recognize actors/actresses doing VA work in a game.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you didn't catch it, he's Clear Sky's trader, along with several other NPCs. And that accent is really distracting when you recognize his voice. He's in Metro 2033, too, with the same accent.
    So he's uncredited? How do you know it's actually him?

He is my favorite ever since Gorim in Dragon Age. I don't watch enough TV or play enough console games to have recognize him before that. I saw he was the base commander voice in Company of Heroes, I will have to listen to that more carefully next time I install the game.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010

He is my favorite ever since Gorim in Dragon Age. I don't watch enough TV or play enough console games to have recognize him before that. I saw he was the base commander voice in Company of Heroes, I will have to listen to that more carefully next time I install the game.
    Recognizing Steve Blum is largely a function of having watched or having not watched Cowboy Bebop.

Interestingly, clip also contains Girl Blum (Jennifer Hale). Whodathunkit? Sadly, no Black Blum (Phil LaMarr).

The places where the guy shines really are the places where he's given vocal direction beyond "hey, do that Spike voice!" and a lot of the time it's because you can hear it and not immediately associate it with him. Oghren (Dragon Age) and Grunt (Mass Effect 2) are recent roles that spring to mind.

Monger on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Recognizing Steve Blum is largely a function of having watched or having not watched Cowboy Bebop.

The places where the guy shines really are the places where he's given vocal direction beyond "hey, do that Spike voice!" and a lot of the time it's because you can hear it and not immediately associate it with him. Oghren (Dragon Age) and Grunt (Mass Effect 2) are recent roles that spring to mind.

Exactly. Ever since Cowboy Bebop back in 02 I have heard him everywhere. Quake 4 was the worst about it though. He was 1 in every 2 or 3 marines. It was as if it was an intentional joke by the devs.

Also a new Stalker LP!. If only I finished the last one. Now to do that or watch this one...

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh him. Yeah, I know who it is now. Thankfully missing it in the game, though I have heard him in numerous games and a couple other shows and recognized the voice.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Looks like Wikipedia credits him, so good catch.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just a bit of an update, I'm busy with work right now and haven't had time to edit and upload Set 2. I'd like to get it up by tomorrow evening, but it will more likely be up Thursday.

Also, I finally found my sticky note for who helped me with what. Thanks to Madpanda for digging up the files to remove enemy markers from the PDA map and thanks to WAH for figuring out how to not get the Badmotha part of the part to give you idiotically good starting equipment. I'll also stick this in the OP and, should I ever get everything right, in the credits for the mod pack I'd like to make.

I'm still debating whether to go through the effort of fixing the ludicrous weapon and armor degradation. Not only is a huge personal pet peeve of mine when games have weapons which degrade after firing a couple of magazines worth of ammo (which Clear Sky does right now), I absolutely do not want to have to deal with my suit of choice becoming utterly worthless in the middle of every long excursion. Even just halving the current rate would make me happy; right now, every shotgun salvo seems to take at at least one percent off the weapon's integrity.

And since the pistol iron sights are goofy, I'm also looking into either fixing the iron sights on them so they're centered rather than you looking down the side of them or just getting the MP5 and sawn-off shotgun to work in the pistol slot. It might seem cheap, but I've changed all the bullet hit probabilities to 100% for Master which means I can not afford to waste time zeroing in the pistol shots every time. I need something which works and both the sawn-off and MP5 have properly-functioning iron sights. Plus, they'd both logically fit in the pistol category in terms of weight and handling.

For those who don't know, Clear Sky (and Shadow of Chernobyl and presumably Call of Pripyat) give bullets a probability of actually hitting the target they hit at the varying difficulty levels. So at 10%, you could fire 10 bullets at a target and only one will actually "count"; at 100% every bullet is an actual bullet and will actually hit every time. It's a fix which cuts both ways since every hit you make counts but every enemy hit counts as well.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    AlexPHottAlexPHott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Awesome LP of a game that is way underrated, I'll be watching this since I'm a big Stalker fan.

AlexPHott on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Managed to get the latest set edited and uploaded today so now I present it for your enjoyment. Today, we learn an excellent lesson about all bullets being very dangerous, rustling bushes requiring immediate killing, and about more anomalies. Also, in just the short time given in this set I manage to get my bullet resistance from 5% to 30%; I classify this is as totally great. Of course, I also manage to not pay attention and make a good shotgun useless to myself, but I'm sure I'll find another one somewhere which won't be needed any longer by the soon-to-be ex-owner.

Set 2: Green is yellow

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    regarding a comment you made in part 3 there, I guess it's too late for the LP but there's a mod that puts the place names onto your PDA map, comes in handy sometimes and it's indispensable for Faction Commander too.

Watching you getting shot in the head by the military machine gunner was about as much fun as I remembered it...

dukederek on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wow. You spent no time in the swamps. The only time I bothered to do the machine gun section is the first time I played the game. For those of you that haven't played it, there's two paths between Cordon and the swamps. Both open up when you finish up with the bandit-clearing quest for Clear Sky. As soon as the guide dumps you off next to the machine gun, you can immediately walk back into the tunnel behind you to zone over the swamps, then hike up to the northern path to go back to Cordon. This will put you a little bit north of the railroad tracks, where you never have to see the military camp at all.

Oh, and I'll mention a quirk about weapon upgrades: Flatness upgrades are intended to reduce bullet drop when you fire. To make this happen, the actual stat that changes with the upgrade bullet velocity, so the bullet has less time to drop before it hits its target at any given range. This also means getting a flatness upgrade reduces the amount you have to lead your targets. Now, you may notice if you spend some time with the game that fully upgraded weapons have higher damage than identical weapons that haven't been upgraded. And you may be confused at this because there aren't any damage upgrades at any mechanic. STALKER's weapon damage is calculated based on a number of stats, one of which happens to be bullet velocity. So getting a flatness upgrade also serves as the damage upgrade.

Monger on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Using a double-barrel shotgun in any combat situation just seems like such a terrible idea. Watching you try to fight all those guys with it by yourself was just painful, especially at the point where you shot the guy and didn't kill him, so while you struggled to reload he just walked around the corner and popped you with his weak-ass pistol. :P

This game seems a little more 'alive' than did Shadow of Chernobyl... by that I mean lots more voice work, and generally brighter colors. I'm not imagining this am I?

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh man. That machine gun. You must make it your duty to destroy that base.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Awesome!

Definitely adding this to my list of Must-Watch During Spring Break When I Should Be Studying For My EMT Certification Test LPs.

[EDIT] Wait, isn't Clear Sky supposed to be buggy as all get-out?

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This game seems a little more 'alive' than did Shadow of Chernobyl... by that I mean lots more voice work, and generally brighter colors. I'm not imagining this am I?
    I think there's about the same amount of voicing in CS as SoC. The difference in this game is that all the ambient dialogue is now in English instead of Russian, and there's far more NPCs around, so you hear it more often. The English voicing is endearingly horribad as well. Although not quite as much so in this game as Call of Pripyat.

Howdy hooooooooo!

Monger on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been playing Clear Sky and i'm a little farther

What's with the moaning? Is that ambient noise to keep the creep factor up? Or does that mean something.

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wow. You spent no time in the swamps.

Part of it was that, for once, the Clear Sky squads were bizarrely effective. I'm actually used to personally taking each and every point assigned, then waiting for Clear Sky to show up. I'll go back at some point, but first I want to get my hands on some decent weapons. The other part is that the Swamps are fun to play, but visually there isn't a lot there. You spend most of the time looking at reeds.

And while thematically neat, there isn't actually a lot to do in the Swamps. Fight bandits, get a couple artifacts, hit some stashes, and that's most of it. It's a good tutorial area, though, since it gets you acclimated but doesn't hit you with dog packs or anything like that.

As for that moaning, it's just in the STALKER games and I have no clue what makes that sound. Chances are pretty good that it's big and would want to eat me in some way.

I have actually tried the PDA map names mod, but I found it to be very buggy. It wouldn't place me properly on the map or something like that. And aside from the busted faction warfare, Clear Sky isn't really buggy. I've had to give up on few SoC games because of bugs or design issues, but never had that same problem with Clear Sky. Other people might've had different experiences, though.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've had it go both ways with the bandits in the swamps. Sometimes I have to take every single point. Sometimes they take all of them before I can even get to a second one. It's about as dependable as everything else to do with faction warfare.

No, I take that back. You can mostly depend on the vanilla game to eventually have every camp overrun by dogs and boars.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So, when are you going to post the pack of Mods you used for Clear Sky?

Also, what pack of mods did you use for Shadow Over Chernobyl? I personally use The Zone Reclamation Project with MonoMartyrs add-on. Basically, the MonoMartyrs add-on lets you keep playing after finishing the game, and adds a new faction, the MonoMartyrs, which is simply the remnants of the Monolith Faction. They pack heavy armour, heavy weapons, and the best Artifacts. Each is basically a walking Juggernaut.

Besides that, I mainly use a bunch of reskins.

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Probably do a few more sets to knock the kinks out first. Item degradation is still iffy and I need to move the MP5/sawn-off into the pistol slot so I can actually use something with iron sights for that category (the pistols in Clear Sky don't use iron sights even if you use the iron sights button). I forgot to put in a sleeping bag mod, but I think I had a reason for that relating to mod stability. I have a couple texture mods I'm using right now, but I'll probably take those out for the mod package since they're something like 300-ish megabytes and the whole mod pack isn't much over that. Plus, not everybody can run Clear Sky with its current settings, much less with better, more resource-intensive textures.

For SoC, I used LURK in the hopes that LURK 1.1 would be released before I finished the LP. Considering that we're now some six months past the original estimated release and LURK 1.1 hasn't shown any significant progress in something like a month, it's becoming something like a Duke Nukem Forever of mods. Not as bad as that one Half-Life mod (Black Mesa, I think?), but it's still pretty stupid that the LURK team is so caught up with new, revolutionary additions to SoC that they haven't bothered fixing up all the broken stuff from the current version of LURK. And there is a lot of broken stuff, ranging from broken missions to virtually every meaningful reward in the game being removed. But ZRP is good; my personal favorite is Oblivion Lost since it adds all sorts of crap back into the game, up to and including artifact "recipes" which let you "cook" artifacts in different anomalies to get different or improved types.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Probably do a few more sets to knock the kinks out first. Item degradation is still iffy and I need to move the MP5/sawn-off into the pistol slot so I can actually use something with iron sights for that category (the pistols in Clear Sky don't use iron sights even if you use the iron sights button). I forgot to put in a sleeping bag mod, but I think I had a reason for that relating to mod stability. I have a couple texture mods I'm using right now, but I'll probably take those out for the mod package since they're something like 300-ish megabytes and the whole mod pack isn't much over that. Plus, not everybody can run Clear Sky with its current settings, much less with better, more resource-intensive textures.

For SoC, I used LURK in the hopes that LURK 1.1 would be released before I finished the LP. Considering that we're now some six months past the original estimated release and LURK 1.1 hasn't shown any significant progress in something like a month, it's becoming something like a Duke Nukem Forever of mods. Not as bad as that one Half-Life mod (Black Mesa, I think?), but it's still pretty stupid that the LURK team is so caught up with new, revolutionary additions to SoC that they haven't bothered fixing up all the broken stuff from the current version of LURK. And there is a lot of broken stuff, ranging from broken missions to virtually every meaningful reward in the game being removed. But ZRP is good; my personal favorite is Oblivion Lost since it adds all sorts of crap back into the game, up to and including artifact "recipes" which let you "cook" artifacts in different anomalies to get different or improved types.

LURK is the one made by 4chan's /v/, right? Meh. I'm familiar with /v/. I'd rather not have anything to do with them. And it does make sense they don't finish their own broken piece of crap.

Well, keep up the good playing then man!

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlexPHottAlexPHott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TKane wrote: »
    LURK is the one made by 4chan's /v/, right? Meh. I'm familiar with /v/. I'd rather not have anything to do with them. And it does make sense they don't finish their own broken piece of crap.

Wow seriously? People from 4chan actually did something together?

But as you say, keep up the good playing!

AlexPHott on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    AlexPHott wrote: »

Wow seriously? People from 4chan actually did something together?

But as you say, keep up the good playing!

Don't act so surprised. The script kiddies on /b/ run scripts made by the one or two actual hackers who go there when they feel like "raiding" someone.

Or so I'm told.

Also, Snarl, I just noticed this while watching your second set, but Bandages don't auto-stop bleeding?! Doesn't it say in the item description that bandages stop bleeding?

[EDIT] NEVERMIND! IGNORE ME!

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    LURK, even in its currently unfinished state, is still my favorite of the SoC mods by a large margin. The overhauls on the AI and weapon mechanics are phenomenal, and it's almost physically painful for me to play a STALKER game without them at this point.
    Also, Snarl, I just noticed this while watching your second set, but Bandages don't auto-stop bleeding?! Doesn't it say in the item description that bandages stop bleeding?
    Bandages don't stop bleeding. They reduce bleeding by a set amount. Remember that bleeding has levels of severity. Severe bleeding takes multiple bandages to fix.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    LURK, even in its currently unfinished state, is still my favorite of the SoC mods by a large margin. The overhauls on the AI and weapon mechanics are phenomenal, and it's almost physically painful for me to play a STALKER game without them at this point.
    Bandages don't stop bleeding. They reduce bleeding by a set amount. Remember that bleeding has levels of severity. Severe bleeding takes multiple bandages to fix.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Anyways, Snarl, I went though and 5-starred your videos. Great LP! :D Can't wait for Set 3.

TKane on
    steam_sig.png