As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overlooked classics

• Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    solsovly wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Rock_N%27_Roll_Racing_Cover.jpg

Sure, it's just RC pro am with guns and a soundtrack featuring Sabbath, Steppenwolf and Deep Purple, but I fucking loved this game as a kid and whenever I talk to a super nintendo owner they are like "wait what game are you talking about?

I was under the impression that this is a really well known game. There was even a GBA re-release. Awesome game.
    Man, I miss the Blizzard of old. I wasted an entire summer with this game together with Blackthorne.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't see much about it, but I really remember digging:
    UrbanChaos.jpg

Also, not exactly deep underground, but never got the credit it deserved:

loom.jpg

Oh, also:
    another_world.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    flashback_snes_boxart_lg.jpg

eternal_darkness_box.jpg

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I enjoy watching the Out of This World speed run, it really is an artsy game.

As for games that need sequels but don't have them (well besides 2) I nominate.

24270.gif

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Heretic does have a sequal...and also isn't really that obscure. Well, actually, i guess now it is. But it wasn't when it came out during that whole corridor FPS phase of gaming. I remember loving it as a kid though for its lack of guns and good amount of choppy things.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah back in the day it was some big stuff, but now you mention it and people are like "herewha?". It's sequel was also the only one I can think of that went from corridor shooter to fantasy action-adventure.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Also, is Flashback really overlooked? I would have picked that over Out Of This World, because Flashback is a special kind of amazing.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    UrbanChaos.jpg
    I remember playing the hell out of Urban Chaos. I also remember there being another game with the exact same name that sucked, and I could never convince anyone that this one existed.

It was really my first experience with an open-worldish setup.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Urban Chaos: Riot Act, which is apparently a completely different thing.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yoshua wrote: »
    There is a old Sega Genesis RPG I'd love to add in here but I can't remember much about it other than I found it to be rather unique and fun. All I can remember now is that it had a interesting way of implementing necromancers as good guys (that was actually believable rather than Diablo 2's sad attempt), basically they mastered death in order to restore life, they didn't raise zombies or turn corpses into bombs, they were the game's healers. Not a huge thing, but I thought it was a neat idea at the time.

If I recall correctly it had an isometric viewpoint and was set in a rather open, non-linear game world. I'll love you long time if you can help me figure out what game this was.

Rings of power. Awesome game.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I think you mean Riot Response? Except I liked that game, was pretty fun.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

snip IMG LOOM BOX ART IMG

I'm pretty sure LOOM got some major critical recognition in its day. It was a sweet game.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not sure how obscure this is considered, but I personally haven't met anyone else who's owned or played this:

Dead%20ball%20zone.jpg

Great fun, suppose it's kind of like Blood Bowl in the futuristic 40k setting; chainsaws, bombs and guns as weapons. Players would regularly collapse, bleed, vomit or flat out die on the field as a result of some brutal combo moves.

Could have named any number of others, but I actually saw a copy of this in an indie shop the other day.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Body Harvest is another but boy did that game not age well.

That didn't stop my friend from breaking it out a couple of days ago without warning. o_O
    he's been trying to complete that game on-and-off for what- ooh- 11 years? :rotate:

Seeing it in the light of modern games is weird.... It's aged massively in its gameplay and visuals; but the creepy atmosphere and general sense of abandonment is still alive and kicking. The dated graphics even add a note of surrealism which complements the creepyness.

Also, that game is balls hard. Like, in-game cheats stacked on Action Replay codes still won't let you beat it hard.
    They really don't design stuff like that anymore. There's barely any player direction, and dying can force several hour's worth of repeat play. I suppose today's design equivalent would be Demon's Souls or something.

Anyway... another reason Body Harvest should be remembered in annals of gaming history is that it lets you run over zombies in a combine harvester. Dead Rising 2 has failed if it doesn't steal this.

Tig on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Vater5B wrote: »

snip IMG LOOM BOX ART IMG

I'm pretty sure LOOM got some major critical recognition in its day. It was a sweet game.

Sure, but everybody still wets their pants at Monkey Island, while Loom took some serious risk gameplay-wise that paid off incredibly. For me at least. I love Monkey Island, don't get me wrong, I just never thought that Loom was recognized as one of the greats alongside MI, DOTT, Full Throttle, etc.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Time for some gameboy games:

Shantae - GBC - Wayforward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms2JqN-ssAM&feature=related

very much like Zelda 2 meets Metroid, this open world platformer featured intruiging dungeon designs, interesting puzzles, an entirely open map, and some of the best animation and variable gameplay found on the gameboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD6UBrc1MvE

Use a rythmn based dancing game to turn into different animal forms in order to bypass the obstacles you'll face. For some reason, like, 90% of the characters are scantily clad women.

Trip World - Sunsoft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAkFq0CKVqc

A relatively unknown platformer highly reminiscent of Mr. Gimmick. Wander around as a little shapeshifter. The interesting thing about this platformer is noting that creatures will interact differently with you depending on the form you currently take.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C6YErIV9sE&feature=related

A neat little kirby'esque platformer that sadly goes unnoticed.

Survival Kids - Konami

Probably more well known, this is the first game in the survival kids series. It plays like a mix of Zelda and Harvest Moon, with your character being forced to survive on a deserted island.You must begin to establish a routine of survival, keeping track of your food intake and water, while formulating a plan to escape the island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQet3NwtHO4

Great Greed - Namco

A completely insane RPG, considered one of the hardest to find original gameboy games, and the only videos I can find of it online are riddled with commentary from terrible people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1vVB_9-Eog&feature=related

I am just going to copy and paste the storyline from wikipedia, because their nonchalante tone in relaying it makes me laugh:

"The game's plot deals with a protagonist who's name you set, but referred to as "Sierra Sam" in the game's promotional materials. Sam, a resident of the "real world," is transported to the fictional world of Greene in order to prevent Biohazard Harry (simply referred to as "Bio-Haz" in the game) from continuing to pollute Greene, a world of seven nations. Sam finds himself stuck in Greene because Microwave, who brought him there in the first place, lost her power in the previous battle. Sam's adventures range from collecting debut records to helping to expose a corrupt politician."

Honourable gameboy mentions:
    Kid Dracula
    Avenging Spirit
    Wendy: Every Witch Way
    Blaster Master Boy
    World Heroes 2 Jet
    Sagaia
    Solar Striker
    Metal Walker
    Dragon Heart

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    198684_28021_front.jpg

Aside from a slightly higher learning curve it is completely superior to Mario Kart 64 but I've rarely met anyone who has even heard of this game.

I have! This game was awesome! As was the first one.

Babble on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This entire series is an overlooked classic, but this one is my favorite:

Deception3box.JPG

45-ePSXe_2007-06-28_18-08-08-64.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ha ha, is that that ridiculous trap game series?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yep. Deception, Deception II, Deception III, and the one with the best name of them all...

Trapt-PS2-Boxart.jpg
    9.jpg

It's good, but II & III are better.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    Usually this thread has what I'd consider a fairly common game by the third post, I'm very impressed so far.

I have two suggestions, both with metal in the title.

Metal Storm: Pretty much the first game to really use gravity well on the NES. It's an incredible experience.

Metal Clash: The best lightgun game ever made.

I do believe you meant to say "Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge" is the the sequel to the game "Battle Clash". Both are awesome, but Metal Combat definitely took it up a notch. I wish the series would continue on Wii.

(SPOILER WARNING, although this is a 1993 light gun game here, so....)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz2mSjz5ip8&feature=related

Another game I'd like to add from the SNES would be "Looney Tunes B-Ball". It's basically NBA Jam with the Looney Tunes cast, and since they are timeless, it makes this game timeless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X39mBvZ9Tg&feature=related

Yep, Metal Clash is a real game, but not a lightgun game. I realized my mistake last night but passed out remarkably soon after that post!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Another one of my favourites, from Hudson: Xexyz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QluCp9YzBzo

A super weird platformer, very difficult, with schmup sections and labyrinth dungeons to explore.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The whole Mystical Ninja series I feel has been overlooked. I love the games, but it seems like nobody else ever remembers them. I'm not even sure how many of the games we got in english, I think 4? We got the awfully translated first SNES game, a gameboy game, and both N64 games that make little to no sense because Mystical Ninja 3 never came out in english. It's Goemon's Great Adventure that I feel was the most overlooked though. I know a lot of people played the first game as it was one of those "holdover" titles people played while waiting for OoT, but what about the second?

Goemon's Great Adventure

It's an incredibly good side-scroller that also has two player co-op/dickery. It's not an easy game either, it gets brutal around the 70% mark. Also the soundtrack is wonderful, just look for some of the songs.

Gilder on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »

I think you mean Riot Response? Except I liked that game, was pretty fun.

It was reviewed considerably better than Urban Chaos

It was also the first (and only) game by Rocksteady Studios before Batman: Arkham Asylum!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Babble wrote: »
    Tertiee wrote: »
    SBK!

Aside from a slightly higher learning curve it is completely superior to Mario Kart 64 but I've rarely met anyone who has even heard of this game.

I have! This game was awesome! As was the first one.
    Yessss, I loved both of them, although I preferred the first one.

Oh man, listening to the music on youtube <3

FUCK I have to pull this out again, even though it's going to hurt my eyes.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Urban Chaos was fun as hell, I wish I still had the game in my collection but it was unfortunatly destroyed together with my entire Wing Commander and Mechwarrior collection when my grandparents basement was flooded.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sat-ClockworkKnight.jpg

FUCK YEAH!

I loved this whole series. This and Snowboard kids were SO AWESOME.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ToeJam_%26_Earl_2.jpg

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    These threads always make me remember how much I loved playing edutainment back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNDMZwwBmbU

Headbone Interactive made some amazing stuff. My favorite was their "What the Heck will Elrody do next?" series, but I did enjoy some demos of their other titles, one of which featured a frog that ran a machine that combined different animals together. And an entire game dedicated to pants, despite having little to do with pants form an educational perspective. Those games were surreal.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Rock_N%27_Roll_Racing_Cover.jpg

Sure, it's just RC pro am with guns and a soundtrack featuring Sabbath, Steppenwolf and Deep Purple

Why downplay it?

That is absolutely enough reason

This game is the greatest game ever. I used to have it as a kid, however like 2 years ago I fixed this ladies computer across the street and as payment she said I could either have $40 or her sons old video games.

I took the video games and ended up with a snes with 3 controllers about 20 games including Rock 'n Roll racing...My favorite racer was like hawkman or some shit. He was clad in all metal.

Also I have both Tomba 1 and 2 in my room and my dad has a PS3 I should check if they work

Dixon on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dixon wrote: »
    Also I have both Tomba 1 and 2 in my room and my dad has a PS3 I should check if they work

Yes! Please

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yes! Please

Do it, now.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    okay this game i got randomly and it blew me away

HerzogZwei-Cover.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EO53h7nWEU&feature=related

I'm sure many of you remember this game for the Genesis. It was basically the first RTS ever made, way ahead of its time. I played countless hours of it with my friend. Totally fucking awesome game that no one knows about.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Project_Nomads_Cover.jpg

no idea how overlooked this is, but none of my gamer friends have heard of it before.

Deicist on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »

Yes! Please

Do it, now.

I will check when I get back home...I'll try to pass by tonight

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anybody remember Outcast? I was blown away by the scope in that game.. Or maybe it was the second one..

Outcast1b.jpg

Also Omikron.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EndrzGameEndrzGame Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Miracle Warriors for the Sega Master System was my first ever RPG that I played...and I loved every minute of it. That map that was included was HUGE and there were all kinds of side quests. The music was awesome for its time as well. This is what also got me interested in Phantasy Star....and the rest is history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6svVdaG7-Q

EndrzGame on
  • Options
    BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    These games may or may not be popular, I'm not sure. I just remember that I had a great time playing them and still remember them vividly.

Kid_Niki_-_Radical_Ninja_Coverart.pngBill_Laimbeer%27s_Combat_Basketball_Coverart.png

Becoming on
  • Options
    AlexPHottAlexPHott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    okay this game i got randomly and it blew me away

HerzogZwei-Cover.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EO53h7nWEU&feature=related

I'm sure many of you remember this game for the Genesis. It was basically the first RTS ever made, way ahead of its time. I played countless hours of it with my friend. Totally fucking awesome game that no one knows about.

I just bought the (much cheaper japanese) cart for that game. Once it arrives, I'll be ready to drop tanks all over my friend's bases all over again

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2