As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a Wii, no idea what games to get. Help?

2»

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, I wished that Nintendo did some sort of Greatest Hits line. I'd kind of like to replay Twilight Princess, but there's no way on earth that I'm spending $40-$50 on it.

They did Player's Choice on the Cube. I just assumed that I hadn't seen Wii versions in the wild. Are they really not doing them anymore?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd say Tatsunoku vs. Capcom is well worth a pickup, if you're at all interested in fighting games.

Also, nice to see you have so much faith in your wife. :P

Kris on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    Man, I wished that Nintendo did some sort of Greatest Hits line. I'd kind of like to replay Twilight Princess, but there's no way on earth that I'm spending $40-$50 on it.

They did Player's Choice on the Cube. I just assumed that I hadn't seen Wii versions in the wild. Are they really not doing them anymore?

The thing is that games like Mario Kart DS and NSMB DS just keep selling. I think both were in the top 20 US sales last month and certainly one was. So there isn't really a reason for them to lower prices on their big hits.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, if you like JRPGs, check out the Virtual Console and Tales of Symphonia (the one for Gamecube. Get the one for Wii if you like regretting spending money.)

I don't play my Wii much for Wii titles, but the VC and backwards compatibility are both pretty awesome. Also, I loved Super Mario Galaxy. And I also really enjoyed the Mario Kart Wii.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Out of curiosity, how was "My Life As A Dark Lord" on WiiWare?

Aoi on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »

It's good. Totally different than Life As a King, as it's a tower defense game. It gets quite hard later on.... I think in order to push you into buying the DLC.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    FishMistFishMist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, my wife and I got a Wii for pretty much the same reason as the OP!

I've been meaning to ask this forum for game suggestions and this thread seems like a good place to do it.

I'm looking specifically for games that I can play together with my wife - she's pretty much never played games in her entire live before now. At the moment we play a lot of Bowling in Wii Sports. Wife likes because we can sit around talking and drinking in between bowls and also because she can get a reasonable score. Occasionally I can get her to play Mario Kart, but she loses a lot so she doesn't like it too much. I'm going to look into some of the titles that have been suggested in this thread but if anyone can point out any that are good two player games and not too challenging for a newbie that would be cool.

FishMist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »

I wasn't a big fan. There were some decent ideas in it, but overall, the game felt like it was designed more to sell DLC than to actually be fun.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    FishMist wrote: »

I've been meaning to ask this forum for game suggestions and this thread seems like a good place to do it.

I'm looking specifically for games that I can play together with my wife - she's pretty much never played games in her entire live before now. At the moment we play a lot of Bowling in Wii Sports. Wife likes because we can sit around talking and drinking in between bowls and also because she can get a reasonable score. Occasionally I can get her to play Mario Kart, but she loses a lot so she doesn't like it too much. I'm going to look into some of the titles that have been suggested in this thread but if anyone can point out any that are good two player games and not too challenging for a newbie that would be cool.

Depending on how you and your wife play games (it's going pretty well for me and mine) New Super Mario Bros. Wii is either a laugh riot or a fast-track to divorce.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I hate to toot my own horn... but if you happen to have a lot of friends to play with, my friends and I made a WiiWare game called Gravitronix. It's pretty fun in multiplayer (admittedly much less so in single player), and it's 500 points. =)

If you do get it, try the "hot potato" mode in the multiplayer options. I think that's the most fun mode that I've seen people play who just picked up the game as a group.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd recommend Warioware for a fun accessible multiplayer game, but for some reason, they decided to lock the multiplayer option until after you've played for quite a while.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    FishMist wrote: »

Check out Super Mario Galaxy. It has a two player mode, but from what I understand, the second player basically just collects star bits and helps with jumping and stunning enemies. So it's good for a non-gamer, since she gets to have a pretty simply job, but fun, too.

Shivahn on