As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slow Internet

Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I am currently in South Korea and I lag when I play any game online, to the point where it is almost unplayable. According to speedtest.net I ping 300 to china and 300 to japan, which seems pretty high to me considering how close I am. What could be the cause of this? Why would my ping be so bad, even though speedtest measures my upload at 1mbps and download at 5mpbs?

Fizban140 on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Speed doesn't have much of anything to do with latency.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I do not really know how it all works and exactly how the numbers relate to each other but why is my latency so high? I am not downloading anything and I can connect to the modem with the same results.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What OS are you using? Running traceroute to something a known distance away should give you some ideas.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Windows 7, I just ran it and the second hop was timed out. 3-9 were all <5 ms and 10-15 were all around 190. I just looked up the IP it is my ISP in Seoul, what can I do to fix this problem? Bit of an update, the tech from my ISP came out and told me the internet is fine because the upload and download are where they should be at even though the latency is high.

Fizban140 on