As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

7.1 Receiver Suggestions?

AoiAoi Registered User regular
I've been poking around at choices on Amazon, and at the moment, I have it centered in on these two. Anyone have any opinions about the units themselves? Reasons for why I should go for the more expensive model of the two? Or reasons why I should go with the cheaper? I'm also open to suggestions, though I'm trying to keep it from Amazon since I have prime, and it makes shipping on these heavy beasts free.

Anyway, the two I'm looking at are:
The cheaper of the two is:
Sony STR-DH700

The somewhat more expensive receiver that I'm also looking at is:
The Sony STR-DH800 for $269

The biggest difference seems to be one more HDMI input, and Dolby TrueHD support.

They're both getting really solid reviews, and while neither will run component signals through the HDMI connection, at least they're not just pass-through HDMI connections like a couple other 7.1 systems I've seen for cheaper.

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Aoi on

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For A/V sync -
    STR-DH700: Yes (fixed)- 60ms/48kHz
    STR-DH800: Yes (Variable)-300msec/192kHz

I assume this may be important for gaming, but am not entirely sure. Stats are from the Sony website.

Also neither specifies upconversion, not sure if that matters to you.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Djeet wrote: »
    For A/V sync -
    STR-DH700: Yes (fixed)- 60ms/48kHz
    STR-DH800: Yes (Variable)-300msec/192kHz

I assume this may be important for gaming, but am not entirely sure. Stats are from the Sony website.

Also neither specifies upconversion, not sure if that matters to you.

From the reviews I've read, it doesn't automatically upconvert. Doesn't bother me though. I don't mind running a few more wires, as long as the HDMI isn't just a pass-thru.

Aoi on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Since you're not really spending that much money, I would go with an Onkyo. They are really the brand to beat for purchases under $400.
    Why do you have your heart set on 7.1?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just spent some time with a friend's system, and I liked their 7.1 I have to admit, receivers are an area I'm pretty uninformed about. My first one was a hand me down 2.0 receiver with a pass-thru big ass sub-woofer that I've been using for like 10 years. Anything would be an upgrade. I'm just looking for something a step or two above a crappy home theater in a box that will last me quite a while. I'm open to suggestions with that in mind though.

Edit: And my reasons for the above choices is the features and price just fit what I'm wanting pre-speakers.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    At say $500-600 street, Onkyo tends to pack in the most features; but at this price range it's anyones game.

At least from my own observations following AVR stuff.

If you want 7 channel Yamaha has this for a bit more.

If you're willing to tolerate a 5.1 setup that opens up more options for you from various brands. Also if you like your friends setup you might look into getting his receiver, just b/c a receiver is 7 channel doesn't mean it'll sound like your friends.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    At say $500-600 street, Onkyo tends to pack in the most features; but at this price range it's anyones game.

If you're willing to tolerate a 5.1 setup that opens up more options for you from various brands. Also if you like your friends setup you might look into getting his receiver, just b/c a receiver is 7 channel doesn't mean it'll sound like your friends.

Any opinions on the TrueHD stuff?

Aoi on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I was reading that 7.1 was not really worth it. Is this true?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »

Any opinions on the TrueHD stuff?

I hear you can't really tell much of a difference vs DTS especially if you don't have a super high end speaker system.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    True-HD and DTS-MA (the lossless codecs) from and uncompressed source sound noticeably better to my ears, but then again I haven't done a double-blind test.

I have a 5.1 setup (with a 7.1 capable receiver) and I've felt no particular desire to add 2 more surrounds, though if I find a killer deal on a nice center I might put in a rear center for 6.1. Probably not though, mainly due to laziness and not wanting to see more wire runs on the ceiling.

Djeet on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EliteLamer wrote: »

A lot of it depends on the size of the room. Similar to getting OMG HUGE screen, getting a really intensive surround setup won't matter if you're watching a movie in a 13x13 room.

I have 6.1 because that's the number of speakers in the set I bought had (it was the best price w/ the best sound at the time), and yeah, I don't really see the point of the little speaker behind me. It makes sound, of course, but 5.1 creates the overall sound immersion that you want in a basic surround setup. Adding more speakers will make it more full but you hit a point of diminishing returns quickly depending on the size of the room.

I have an Onkyo receiver from 2 years ago and really like it. It has way more inputs than I use but I'm very happy with it.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    See my problem is I just got DLP 60 inch 3dtv and my receiver has no HDMI's on it. It does however have DTS and Dolby. I suppose its not worth the ugrade right?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »

A lot of it depends on the size of the room. Similar to getting OMG HUGE screen, getting a really intensive surround setup won't matter if you're watching a movie in a 13x13 room.

I have 6.1 because that's the number of speakers in the set I bought had (it was the best price w/ the best sound at the time), and yeah, I don't really see the point of the little speaker behind me. It makes sound, of course, but 5.1 creates the overall sound immersion that you want in a basic surround setup. Adding more speakers will make it more full but you hit a point of diminishing returns quickly depending on the size of the room.

I have an Onkyo receiver from 2 years ago and really like it. It has way more inputs than I use but I'm very happy with it.

I don't have the bigges room ever, but at the same time, I kept my last receiver around for like a decade, so having something that would fit when/if I DO move to a bigger space would be nice. 7.1 also just felt like a nice option in general for the same reason.

I really appreciate the opinions, guys.

And damn, I can't imagine the nightmare of wires once you get up into the 9.1 territory, much less 7.1.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    See my problem is I just got DLP 60 inch 3dtv and my receiver has no HDMI's on it. It does however have DTS and Dolby. I suppose its not worth the ugrade right?

Highly dependent upon what you want and how much disposeable income you have. A 5.1 setup (sans TrueHD or DTS-MA) can still give you immersive room-filling surround sound. And a lot of them can do 2 channel lossless sound over optical/SPDIF (PCM) so you can decide for yourself if upgrading to get lossless codecs are worth it.

There's also upgrading for the convenience of cable management. It's nice to have everything go through hdmi to the receiver and just having one cable go to the tv (and using the receiver as the video switch as well as the audio switch), but if you have legacy input sources (VCR, non-HDMI DVD, older game systems) then you're still going to have a little bit of mess behind the tv/entertainment center, and switching from HD cable to the NES may require multiple button clicks, or multiple remotes unless you have a remote that's universal/learning.

If you're happy with what you got then stand pat on hardware and spend your dough on nice content.

Djeet on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    After quite a bit of time reading all sorts of reviews, opinions, and listening (albeit on better systems than a$250 receiver) myself, I can anecdotally say that if your speakers aren't crappy pieces of shit (aka home theater in a box) you are probably going to notice a difference in Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA over the lossy compressions. However, that issue is more complicated. Do you even need that on your receiver? If you own a PS3, the answer is no. All receivers by default can handle LPCM (decoded raw sound), which is by definition lossless. The PS3 can decode any sound format, so if you have a PS3 and a receiver with HDMI your receiver doesn't even need to be able to decode Dolby 5.1, much less TrueHD or HD-MA.

As far as the 7.1 goes, if you have money to set on fire go buy those speakers. I personally submit that unless your surrounds already cost $750+ a piece you are wasting your time. This is because the number of mainstream blu-rays you will get that are 7.1 is not very big. At all. With very little signs of that changing anytime soon. Therefore, all it's doing with 7.1 is taking the 5.1 sound and matrixing (meaning guessing) where it goes over your four surround speakers. Personally I'd rather have the 5.1 pure as intended in the mix, and buy better speakers overall with my money. And on a $250 receiver? Seriously?

Edit: also this receiver at $400 is so fucking good that I just can't ever see buying anything less.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »
    EggyToast wrote: »

I don't have the bigges room ever, but at the same time, I kept my last receiver around for like a decade, so having something that would fit when/if I DO move to a bigger space would be nice. 7.1 also just felt like a nice option in general for the same reason.

I really appreciate the opinions, guys.

And damn, I can't imagine the nightmare of wires once you get up into the 9.1 territory, much less 7.1.

Understandable. Just don't buy the other two speakers yet :D.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Scrublet wrote: »
    All receivers by default can handle LPCM (decoded raw sound), which is by definition lossless.

While this may be true (not sure), not all receivers can decode multichannel LPCM. My old RX-V730 (or 630 cannot remember) could decode 2 channel LPCM, but not multichannel LPCM. So it could do DTS amongst other codecs, but not lossless + surround.

Also there still out there some budget HT receivers that can decode one of the lossless codecs, but cannot handle multichannel LPCM. Though a lot of the receivers that can handle both lossless codecs can handle multichannel LPCM.

Edit: and that all may be academic as I think both receivers in the OP can do multichannel LPCM.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    All receivers by default can handle LPCM (decoded raw sound), which is by definition lossless.

While this may be true (not sure), not all receivers can decode multichannel LPCM. My old RX-V730 (or 630 cannot remember) could decode 2 channel LPCM, but not multichannel LPCM. So it could do DTS amongst other codecs, but not lossless + surround.

Also there still out there some budget HT receivers that can decode one of the lossless codecs, but cannot handle multichannel LPCM. Though a lot of the receivers that can handle both lossless codecs can handle multichannel LPCM.

Edit: and that all may be academic as I think both receivers in the OP can do multichannel LPCM.

You're still misunderstanding the terms. There is flat out no such thing as "decoding" multichannel LPCM. It is Linear Pulse Code Modulation...as raw as it gets in sound. I looked up your receiver, and it doesn't have HDMI. The only way to send more than 2 channels of LPCM is through HDMI. Your digital inputs (both the optical and the digital coax) can handle either 2 channels of LPCM, or one of the lossless codecs.

[strike]As long as a receiver has HDMI[/strike] As long as your receiver is newer and not a budget piece of shit, it should be able to do lossless surround sound provided it is given LPCM. However not all players can decode lossless codecs to LPCM so if you don't have a PS3, high-def codecs may still be important to you. If I'm wrong on this I wouldn't mind seeing an example just so I know that it's out there.

Edit - further clarification: This begs the question: why did so many different mainstream tech sites like Gizmodo tout the "new feature" of the PS3 Slim to bitstream Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA? Answer: in most cases, because they don't know what they're talking about. The only thing you gain by bitstreaming one of those lossless codecs is the little Dolby or DTS light turning on in the receiver.

Further edit: So I saw a forum post somewhere random that seems to indicate this 2007 Sony HDMI 6.1 receiver does not take the multichannel LPCM. Then this article sealed the deal that older receivers definitely don't take it. Mystery to me...it requires almost no processing to handle as I understand it. Either way, I reiterate my recommendation for the $400 Onkyo and submit that if you're not willing to spend that much on a receiver you don't need to worry about 7.1 or high-def codecs anyways.

Scrublet on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    There are HT receivers out there that have HDMI that cannot do multichannel LPCM. They cannot do multichannel LPCM cause they cannot accept PCM connections over HDMI, they might only take PCM over optical, which kicks it down to 2 channel. Take the STR-DH500 for example. It advertises HDMI and PCM, but cannot accept PCM over HDMI and therefore cannot do multichannel PCM. This is not uncommon in receivers under $300.

Edit: There's probably some marketingspeak that distinguishes these receivers from others, I think having only HDMI passthrough may be a tipoff.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yea see the above edits, some further digging exposed some of it to me. I checked out that Sony receiver. Second cable required for audio? hilarious

Scrublet on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Edit: There's probably some marketingspeak that distinguishes these receivers from others, I think having only HDMI passthrough may be a tipoff.

As a general rule, you want to set the HDMI to passthrough anyways. Most receivers use a Faroudja DCDi thing to upconvert. This thing is NOT very good at it. However, the more expensive processing by HQV, doesn't start showing up until just under $1,000. The real feature to look for is upconverting the Component to HDMI, which is often times not present even in the systems that upconvert the HDMI to 1080p no matter what. Without that, say you have a Wii and a PS3 plugged in. You will have to plug both the component and the HDMI cables from your receiver to your TV, and switch inputs appropriately.

Scrublet on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Ya know, thanks for the input guys. I think more than anything, this made me realize I apparently just don't care enough to bother with all this :laugh: I'll just stick with my old 2 channel monster since upgrading is just more effort and money than it's worth to me right now.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There's also an Anchor Bay video chip out there is some receivers: some pioneers, sherwoods, and denons for example. Some of those you can get sub-$1k.

My understanding of PCM vs bitstream transport (the PS3 slim situation):

PCM transport of DTS-MA/TrueHD --- encoded audio data -> lossless decode -> PCM modulation (an analog-to-digital operation) -> sent to Receiver -> DAC -> amplification

PCM transport of uncompressed PCM data --- uncompressed PCM data -> sent to receiver -> DAC -> amplification

Bitstream transport --- encoded audio data -> sent to Receiver -> lossless decode -> DAC -> amplification

Hypothetically there could be a difference, whether such results in a noticeable difference in reality (not saying it does) probably depends largely upon ears and gear.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There won't be a difference simply because it is all digital leading up to the DAC. The bits should be the same entering the DAC in all three cases.

Sorry Aoi if we got way too in depth than you were intending. When you DO think about upgrading, make sure you pick a newer receiver that supports HDMI 1.4 and 3DTV if such things matter to you. A lot of people aren't going to be using their old receivers for video if they get 3DTVs.

Scrublet on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    There won't be a difference simply because it is all digital leading up to the DAC. The bits should be the same entering the DAC in all three cases.

Sorry Aoi if we got way too in depth than you were intending. When you DO think about upgrading, make sure you pick a newer receiver that supports HDMI 1.4 and 3DTV if such things matter to you. A lot of people aren't going to be using their old receivers for video if they get 3DTVs.

Not a problem. It surprises me how in-depth this area really can get.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Thanks I just got a 3dtv and didn't even think you would need certain audio support for it.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Thanks I just got a 3dtv and didn't even think you would need certain audio support for it.

It's not that you need certain audio support. Just that HDMI 1.4 is required for 3DTV. When TVs and receivers talk to each other over HDMI to pass video, they exchange some kind of code (I'm forgetting the name of it at the moment). The extension 3DTVs are putting on that code isn't understood by most current receivers, so some people who have been running an HDMI cable to their receiver for video/sound and then an HDMI cable from the receiver to the 3DTV have been having problems.

Scrublet on