As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] Neochu, I Choose You!

1585960616264»

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    That and FFVII being good but highly overrated.

What, you mean FFVI: Bad Translation Edition, right? emot-smug.gif

emot-smug.gif

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FFX is probably the best of the later games. First and foremost, CTB is much better than ATB ever was. By a large amount. Made combat much more strategic, which I loved. Until you got autohaste and damage break, anyway. I also really loved the aesthetic. And the story. Which actually made sense, at least for a Final Fantasy game.

VII wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either.

I never liked IX. At all. I bought it for PSN and I'm giving it another try, but I thought it was pretty slow and annoying in many ways.

And other than scaling monsters and the draw system (actually I liked the draw system but linking magic to your stats made it so using magic would weaken you, so I never would), I thought Final Fantasy VIII was great.

Final Fantasy XII was great in many ways but I really disliked the droves and droves of NPCs that existed merely as filler. I like FFXIII's approach to that better: tons of NPCs, but they basically just shout things at you as you run by them.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XII was great in many ways but I really disliked the droves and droves of NPCs that existed merely as filler. I like FFXIII's approach to that better: tons of NPCs, but they basically just shout things at you as you run by them.

Exaaaactly this.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We're doing this again huh?

I'm just gonna say this. You can have your annoying minigames (hello FFIX) or no minigames at all (hello FFXIII). You're never gonna be happy. Ever.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FFX is probably the best of the later games. First and foremost, CTB is much better than ATB ever was. By a large amount. Made combat much more strategic, which I loved. Until you got autohaste and damage break, anyway. I also really loved the aesthetic. And the story. Which actually made sense, at least for a Final Fantasy game.

I....I certainly acknowledge that your opinion is as valid as anyone's, but I have to disagree.

X's CTB basically took away something FF combat needed desperately--urgency. Because, let's face it, FF time battle combat is not terribly complex. It wasn't in VI, it wasn't in VII, it wasn't in VIII, etc. At least timing could hold your attention. Otherwise, it becomes backgammon for people missing at least one of their hands. When combat is a major part of the game, and much of it can be done blindfolded, it detracts from the experience, I feel.

X's aesthetic was pretty unique, but I personally hated it. Then again, I didn't really like the story, and the aesthetic went in hand with that, so I guess that's not surprising. The more bizarre and unrelatable FF settings become, the less impressed by them I am. An underground doom chamber can be bizarrely weird, sure, but the whole goddamn world? Not everyone will feel that way, of course.

Again, that's just me. My opinion is no more valid than yours or anyone elses'. I just had to put that out there. Maybe I should have just said this instead:

emot-smug.gif

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Stop stealing my smilies off my photobuckets you dicks emot-smug.gif

...Well except Dragonkias. He has Good Taste

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm not unhappy I bought XIII at full price.

Though I take long breaks from it, I usually enjoy the experience of actually playing it. emot-smug.gif

Can I use it Rent?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Stop stealing my smilies off my photobuckets you dicks emot-smug.gif

...Well except Dragonkias. He has Good Taste

emotsmugv.gif

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »

Though I take long breaks from it, I usually enjoy the experience of actually playing it. emot-smug.gif

Can I use it Rent?

No! You hate the second best FF of all time! emot-smug.gif
    yes

it really is such a good smiley

Rent on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is there anywhere I can get 8 and 9? I don't have a PS3.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Can I use it Rent?

yes

That is true. Well, I can't compromise my principles. I'm old fashion like that. emot-smug.gif

Incidentally, I don't think we can do this much longer. emotsmugv.gif
    glithert wrote: »

VIII is available on PC, but it's an even worse port than VII. And no ones bothered to correct the translation/fix grammatical errors/replace many of the models/port it to an OpenGL engine that plays at whatever resolution you'd like/replace the music because it's VIII (at least, not last I checked).

What's stopping you from buying a copy of IX off eBay or Amazon? Do you have a PS2 or PS1?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Amazon. You can get both for like 10 bucks.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Can I use it Rent?

yes

That is true. Well, I can't compromise my principles. I'm old fashion like that. emot-smug.gif

Incidentally, I don't think we can do this much longer. emotsmugv.gif

VIII is available on PC, but it's an even worse port than VII. And no ones bothered to correct the translation/fix grammatical errors/replace many of the models/port it to an OpenGL engine that plays at whatever resolution you'd like/replace the music because it's VIII (at least, not last I checked).

What's stopping you from buying a copy of IX off eBay or Amazon? Do you have a PS2 or PS1?

I remember when FF7 and FF8 came out and I could not play them cause I didn't have a PS. It really bummed me out. Then I saw that they were gonna release it on PC. Holy shit was I fucking ecstatic. I played the shit out of both ports and loved every minute of it. It sucked that no other FF would come on the PC.

But when I saw screens of FFX, I'm like fuck this, I'm buying a PS2 just for that one game. Best purchase ever.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I thought somewhere in this thread someone said the old PS1 games were stupidly expensive now. But if not, Amazon is the way to go, I guess.

And I have an old fat PS2, why?

glithert on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I did the same thing.

I was not happy about it. And then, to add insult to injury, my PS2 died. Three times.

I'm still a little unhappy about it.

FFVII was a difficult port, but it was entirely playable (in fact, it's actually easier to get running now, because of things like OpenGL custom drivers, etc.,) and you can get nifty things like model replacements and nicer textures and anti-aliasing.

Hell, we'd (and by we, I mean those of us who own the PC port) would be playing FFVII with Kingdom Hearts 2 models if Square Enix hadn't freaked the fuck out and scared every attempt into nonexistence. But that's just a cosmetic issue, I guess.

Also, glithert, I was just asking to see if you would need to buy the actual console to play it on.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Naw. The only expensive PS1 games are the really niche ones/underground ones (Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears, etc) and FFVII for some reason.

Though these days Valkyrie Profile is really the only bad one as far as prices goes.

But man...one of these days I'm going to find a copy of Tales of Eternia that doesn't make me feel like I'm being ripped off.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I....I certainly acknowledge that your opinion is as valid as anyone's, but I have to disagree.

X's CTB basically took away something FF combat needed desperately--urgency. Because, let's face it, FF time battle combat is not terribly complex. It wasn't in VI, it wasn't in VII, it wasn't in VIII, etc. At least timing could hold your attention. Otherwise, it becomes backgammon for people missing at least one of their hands. When combat is a major part of the game, and much of it can be done blindfolded, it detracts from the experience, I feel.

X's aesthetic was pretty unique, but I personally hated it. Then again, I didn't really like the story, and the aesthetic went in hand with that, so I guess that's not surprising. The more bizarre and unrelatable FF settings become, the less impressed by them I am. An underground doom chamber can be bizarrely weird, sure, but the whole goddamn world? Not everyone will feel that way, of course.

Again, that's just me. My opinion is no more valid than yours or anyone elses'. I just had to put that out there. Maybe I should have just said this instead:

emot-smug.gif

Yeah. because I felt a great sense of "urgency" from twiddling my thumbs while waiting for the ATB gauge to fill up.

You know what battle system included urgency? The much-hated FFX-2's. None of the earlier ATB games had any such thing, even on the fastest combat speed setting.

In fact, if you want a real frenetic Final Fantasy combat experience, I suggest playing Final Fantasy X-2 on the fastest combat speed setting with the menu pausing thing disabled. Ignore the story and the characters if you like, but I think it's a bit absurd to argue that there is any urgency in the combat of FF7, 8, or 9. All it is is waiting. I mean, you yourself point out that FF time battle combat was never terribly complex. Correct, it wasn't. Nor did you really need to be strategic. How was removing that useless sense of fake "urgency" and replacing it with a strategic battle system bad?

edit: And yeah, that's just my opinion, but after playing almost all of the FFs at this point (I still haven't played the DS version of FF IV), I'd rate the PS1/PS2 era games something like this, in all honesty: FFX > FFVIII > FFXII ~= FFVII > FFFX-2 > FFIX. Where "greater than" simply means "how much enjoyment I got out of the game."

I haven't played enough of FFXIII to rate it yet.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

emot-smug.gif

Yeah. because I felt a great sense of "urgency" from twiddling my thumbs while waiting for the ATB gauge to fill up.

You know what battle system included urgency? The much-hated FFX-2's. None of the earlier ATB games had any such thing, even on the fastest combat speed setting.

In fact, if you want a real frenetic Final Fantasy combat experience, I suggest playing Final Fantasy X-2 on the fastest combat speed setting with the menu pausing thing disabled. Ignore the story and the characters if you like, but I think it's a bit absurd to argue that there is any urgency in the combat of FF7, 8, or 9. All it is is waiting.

I vastly prefer some urgency--forcing me to think out my decisions promptly--over none at all, especially when combat is incredibly simplified anyway. Your team mates positions? Doesn't matter. Who's in your party? Doesn't matter, you can swap them out. All you need to do is pick an option and pick a target.

That's literally it. I find that boring. I need something else to my combat. And if not, I'd at least like that if I sit around for 30 minutes because I fell asleep on my couch, the enemy will actually do something about it. Yeah, that's real exciting. Even chess has time limits. It's a problem in the other games too, but it's much worse in X. At least in VII, if I don't do something, the enemy will strike again, as oppose to politely waiting for me to hit the clock and finish my crackers and hot beverage.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Naw. The only expensive PS1 games are the really niche ones/underground ones (Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears, etc) and FFVII for some reason.

Though these days Valkyrie Profile is really the only bad one as far as prices goes.

But man...one of these days I'm going to find a copy of Tales of Eternia that doesn't make me feel like I'm being ripped off.

I bought Tales of Eternia for the PSP. The UK version.

It cost me like 65 bucks.

I lost it (along with the PSP itself, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, PoPoLoCrois, Wedding Crashers, at least one or two other UMDs I'm forgetting, and an 8 gig memory stick).

Drez on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Good news is that both got much cheaper PSP versions. Well, ToE only in Europe, but PSPs are region free for a reason!

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    there was never any urgency in the ATB games

hell, turn-based systems probably go faster

because you can at least sling out commands without waiting for some dumbass bar to refill

Rust on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Apparently, none of you used haste. Ever.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No. As mentioned up-thread X-2 was fast.

The rest of the ATB games? I'll agree with you. But not X-2.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think we can boil the ATB discussion down to:

Men do not play with "wait" on or pick any speed other than "fastest."

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Erios wrote: »

having it on "active" means you just lose a couple more seconds if you'd rather scramble through a magic menu instead of hitting the enemy, which is rarely necessary since most FF games are piss-easy to begin with

the ATB system is horribly generic and outdated

give me Megaten's press turn system any day

Rust on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Good news is that both got much cheaper PSP versions. Well, ToE only in Europe, but PSPs are region free for a reason!

Huh. I have a copy of Valkyrie Profile PS1. Never played it more than an hour or two. I guess I could sell it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

emot-smug.gif

In fact, if you want a real frenetic Final Fantasy combat experience, I suggest playing Final Fantasy X-2 on the fastest combat speed setting with the menu pausing thing disabled. Ignore the story and the characters if you like, but I think it's a bit absurd to argue that there is any urgency in the combat of FF7, 8, or 9. All it is is waiting.

I vastly prefer some urgency--forcing me to think out my decisions--over none at all, especially when combat is incredibly simplified anyway. Your team mates positions? Doesn't matter. Who's in your party? Doesn't matter, you can swap them out. All you need to do is pick an option and pick a target.

That's literally it. I find that boring. I need something else to my combat. And if not, I'd at least like that if I sit around for 30 minutes because I fell asleep on my couch, the enemy will actually do something about it. Yeah, that's real exciting. Even chess has time limits. It's a problem in the other games too, but it's much worse in X. At least in VII, if I don't do something, the enemy will strike again, as oppose to politely waiting for me to hit the clock and finish my crackers and hot beverage.

*shrug*

I don't need a game prompting me to make a decision, at least not the boring, silly way it was done in FF7 through FF9. FFX-2 did it the right way. Combat could be really nutty.

I mean, when I play chess with someone, I don't whip out a championship-standard timepiece and expect them to make their decisions in 15-30 seconds or whatever. Sure, you can play that way, but I feel like urgency and strategy only combine well if you design them to combine well properly. Which I don't think the PS1-era FFs did. It was just a tacked-on timer to your actions.

But we're just arguing from opposite ends of the taste spectrum. I personally loathed ATB from the very beginning of FFVII to the very last moment I originally played of FFIX (which was about to the end of disc 1). I hated it the most in FFIX because of how slow the combat, and the engine, was in general.

And did you even bother with the arena in FFX? Sure, it wasn't necessary, but it added a lot of opportunity to strategize within the battle system.

Basically, my favorite kind of RPG battle system is what you find in Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga. That's CTB done really well. Nothing in any RPG has ever been more epic, in my opinion, than the hidden boss battle at the end of DDS vol. 1. FFX didn't go to those lengths, but it tried.

So really it's a matter of taste here. I prefer turn-based combat. I also enjoy action RPGs. And I hate turn-based combat with a tacked-on real time interface.

Also, how did any of the PS1 games really "force" you into decisions? Am I the only person that immediately knew what I was going to do most rounds and spent precious seconds waiting for the ATB gauge to fill up? There isn't much in any of the 7 through 9 games where this faux-urgency comes into play. I never found myself in a situation where I was getting pummeled or where my characters were just sitting there with a full ATB gauge because I was flummoxed and didn't know what to do.

Really, the ATB systems in 7 through 9 are more or less the same as the system in X, except that in FFX, the order your characters can act in are governed by a more complex system and that you don't have to wait before inputting commands. It's a much FASTER combat system, in fact, which is funny since it lacks this "sense of urgency" you are talking about.

*shrug*

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    Erios wrote: »

having it on "active" means you just lose a couple more seconds if you'd rather scramble through a magic menu instead of hitting the enemy, which is rarely necessary since most FF games are piss-easy to begin with

the ATB system is horribly generic and outdated

give me Megaten's press turn system any day

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Not good news anymore, at least not for ToE. Last I checked, it was discontinued, impossible to find and/or $65+.

Drez on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Not good news anymore, at least not for ToE. Last I checked, it was discontinued, impossible to find and/or $65+.

Good news for me, I still have an extra factory sealed one back when I accidentally bought 2 when they were $30.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited June 2010

emot-smug.gif

I vastly prefer some urgency--forcing me to think out my decisions--over none at all, especially when combat is incredibly simplified anyway. Your team mates positions? Doesn't matter. Who's in your party? Doesn't matter, you can swap them out. All you need to do is pick an option and pick a target.

*shrug*

I don't need a game prompting me to make a decision, at least not the boring, silly way it was done in FF7 through FF9. FFX-2 did it the right way. Combat could be really nutty.

I mean, when I play chess with someone, I don't whip out a championship-standard timepiece and expect them to make their decisions in 15-30 seconds or whatever. Sure, you can play that way, but I feel like urgency and strategy only combine well if you design them to combine well properly. Which I don't think the PS1-era FFs did. It was just a tacked-on timer to your actions.

But we're just arguing from opposite ends of the taste spectrum. I personally loathed ATB from the very beginning of FFVII to the very last moment I originally played of FFIX (which was about to the end of disc 1). I hated it the most in FFIX because of how slow the combat, and the engine, was in general.

And did you even bother with the arena in FFX? Sure, it wasn't necessary, but it added a lot of opportunity to strategize within the battle system.

Basically, my favorite kind of RPG battle system is what you find in Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga. That's CTB done really well. Nothing in any RPG has ever been more epic, in my opinion, than the hidden boss battle at the end of DDS vol. 1. FFX didn't go to those lengths, but it tried.

So really it's a matter of taste here. I prefer turn-based combat. I also enjoy action RPGs. And I hate turn-based combat with a tacked-on real time interface.

Also, how did any of the PS1 games really "force" you into decisions? Am I the only person that immediately knew what I was going to do most rounds and spent precious seconds waiting for the ATB gauge to fill up? There isn't much in any of the 7 through 9 games where this faux-urgency comes into play. I never found myself in a situation where I was getting pummeled or where my characters were just sitting there with a full ATB gauge because I was flummoxed and didn't know what to do.

Really, the ATB systems in 7 through 9 are more or less the same as the system in X, except that in FFX, the order your characters can act in are governed by a more complex system and that you don't have to wait before inputting commands. It's a much FASTER combat system, in fact, which is funny since it lacks this "sense of urgency" you are talking about.

*shrug*

*shrug* Right back to you. I already said it was entirely a matter of opinion. With haste, I've never encountered a fight in FFVII that was slower than a fight in FFX. Ever.

I'm being literal. And there's no added in-fight complexity in FFX in terms of selecting attacks versus the prior titles, in any way that's substantial. Want to hit everyone with a spell instead of just one? Just push 'left' once more.

I'd agree insofar as FFX-2 handling it better the others. In fact, I actually dislike the combat in IX (though I didn't finish the game, so I usually don't consider it) because of the pacing. Seeing how there was barely any planning you could do in any of the games, VI through X, there's hardly anything else to do in a turn. Personally, if I felt I absolutely needed 10 minute or 5 minutes or whatever to make a decision without anything else including the enemy change ever, why am I playing a FF game? I want to respond to changing circumstances as they appear, even if its inconvenient, not five turns down the line. It's the same reason I don't want the enemy to automatically do whatever I want it to do every round of combat.

Having the fight change fundamentally while you're planning is not a bad thing. It actually makes combat interesting, because God knows its pretty boring in most of these. I like realizing that I need to analyze something differently, that enemy weaknesses has changed, and they might change back while I'm still responding. When an enemy changes in the middle of your turn, having to scrap a previous plan and go to a new one isn't an insult, it's a challenge. But that's just how I feel about it.

If I wanted turn based combat, I'd play something in which turns consisted of something more complex than "hit person" "use magic on person", and "use item". In other words, I probably wouldn't play FF, in that case.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FF Tactics!

Edit: shit.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis, I responded to you in the new thread.

Drez on