As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I caused an auto accident....no insurance...

13»

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I fail to see, legally speaking, how that matters at all if you're not going to court. The insurance companies could charge him $100,000 for admitting to liking polkadottedgeese.

He'd actually probably do better going to court without a lawyer than settling out of court without one.

But of course you do.

The insurance company can only settle for what the insurance company PAYS OUT to their client. The insurance company has one goal in this scenario, to recover the money that they are paying out to their client that they are not responsible for. This amount covers her medical bills and car. Im not sure if workman's comp gets lumped in there, but for other shit like pain and suffering she'll be suing the OP seperately if at all.

Once you go to court, you're gambling the legal expenses of the lady's insurance company on top of everything else. That's where they can really fuck you in the ass.

Deebaser on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The lawyer idea wasn't just for protection against the insurance company, but against a personal lawsuit from the victim too, as well as possible charges from the police...

L Ron Howard on
  • PandionPandion Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I rear-ended a guy (bastard stopped short :) ) a few months ago. He got out and started screaming and acting like a madman. No damage to his car as I was going ~5 mph when I hit him. He started talking about insurance claims and I was just looking at him acting crazy and then seeing his perfect f'ing bumper. and looking back and forth.

Well, thank goodness I had my phone with me and I started to take pics of his bumper showing the no damage. He asked what I was doing and then asked if I trusted him? Obvious answer to that and I haven't heard a thing since, either from my insurance company or from him.

Pandion on
  • prfntbtrprfntbtr Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The lawyer idea wasn't just for protection against the insurance company, but against a personal lawsuit from the victim too, as well as possible charges from the police...

Attorney to help you out if the driver in the other car decides to sue him personally for pain, suffering, etc.? Great idea.

Worrying that you will need one to help you answer trick questions from the insurance company, designed to make you liable for $100,000 above and beyond the cost they pay out, therefore causing their company to actually profit from this accident? Absolute lunacy.

prfntbtr on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any argument against getting a lawyer is a stupid one.

Get a lawyer, let the lawyer handle your dealings from here on out. It's been said a few dozen times, and it can't be stated enough.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I agree with prfntbtr. The most likey thing that will happen is you will get sent an invoice by the insurance company with itemized amounts for each thing. If you don't agree with the amounts you could call them and ask what each one is for and for them to give you prove etc. The only way that it will go to court is if you refuse to pay them. Isn't that the way civil court works?

He would absolutely need a lawyer if the old lady decided to sue him for damages as that is not something that can be measured accurately and has much area for debate unlike the amount she recieved from the insurance company which is a set amount.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I fail to see, legally speaking, how that matters at all if you're not going to court. The insurance companies could charge him $100,000 for admitting to liking polkadottedgeese.

Do us all a favor and either STFU about shit you know nothing about, or provide evidence to your lunacy. Evidence like corporate earnings statements from an insurance company showing a PROFIT from these types of claims; not deductibles, not monthly payments, but payouts from claims from other individuals and companies in order to make a profit. Provide a link and an explanation where exactly on the page this information can be found.

Better yet, find a court settlement that shows the insurance company getting a little sumtin sumtin extra on the top to slide to their investors.

travathian on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can you prove the inverse? No? Okay.

However, insurance companies are known to coerce people. You know, my original statement; The one you probably didn't read? They could coerce information out of him he wasn't jack-shit liable for "Do you think maybe _X_ happened too?" -- "Well yeah it's possible..."

Suddenly the payout to the insured goes up and your being asked to settle for more. Hence my original comment. Insurance companies are really good at legal, but nefarious practices like this. I never said that $100,000 was going to the insurance company, regardless.

When you're on the other end, they also try some bad-faith stuff. But go ahead, think the insurance companies are there to help you rather than make a profit. His best bet is to get a lawyer, no matter what fancy or whimsical tale myself or you whip up.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited April 2010
    Again, there are only certain things that the insurance company will pay out. If she has coverage for collision or uninsured motorists damaging her vehicle, and it is a total loss, they will pay her the market value of her car. If she has medical coverage for this situation, they will pay for her doctor bills, as long as they are related to the accident. I am not sure what your "Do you think maybe_X_ happened too?" theoretical question could possibly be in reference to. They will not ask OP if in his opinion he should pay their driver $60,000 for the pain and inconvenience of a broken hand and then hold him to it. They can't. All they can do is look at the facts (as told by OP and their driver, and take the police report or witness information into account) and decide who was at fault. If they find him responsible, they will bill him for what money they have paid out.

prfntbtr on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, you basically repeated what I said, then, yes?

Just because I used an insane hypothetical does not mean they won't try to get him to admit more information. Let's say her insurance has a rider for "person who causes accident picking his nose." If the insurer can get him to admit he picked his nose, even though not on the police report, he could be asked to settle this additional amount after they have paid it out.

Hence, "You should really get a lawyer before you talk to anyone and answer questions, if they want to talk to you about the accident, refer them to the police report." There is really no honest reason to talk to them at the moment if it's not "Hi I'd like to talk to you about a settlement on ____" rather than "Hi I'd like to ask you additional questions."

Other than that, you're being a pedantic goose about my hyperbole.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited April 2010
    You are hyperbolizing situations that do not exist.

I have been on the end of the phone where I ask the questions about how the accident happens.

Your scenario does not happen.

There are indeed downsides to hiring a lawyer. It will be tough to find one that will represent you free of charge. You do not need a lawyer to tell you to pay what the other car cost and that you will be responsible for her actual medical bills. If you find yourself the victim of a lawsuit, then heck yes. Get an attorney.

prfntbtr on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Guys, this is a legitimate argument and I see what you're both saying but you gotta remember to keep it civil. If you're getting angry, take a few minutes, I think you're both adding to the thread and I don't want to have to lay out any infractions because someone took something too much to heart and lashed out.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can you prove the inverse? No? Okay.

Uh hello? You're the one making the bullshit claim here. The onus is on YOU to back it up, not me to prove it wrong. Again, if you some how think that these companies can just add a bit more onto the bill then find me some evidence of it.
    More retarded shit.

If there was any doubt who was at fault in the accident it would be prudent not to speak to the other insurance company. The OP admitted fault, it is documented in a police report, there is no longer any doubt. You are just making shit up because you have been told all your life that the insurance company is the boogie man and you don't have a single shred of evidence to back any of it up. Insurance companies are regulated by the states and there are a fuckton of regulations, paperwork, and things the company can and can not do. My gf is a licensed broker in two states and she is laughing her ass off reading some of the shit you claim. Nose picking rider? Seriously dude stfu, you are giving terrible advice to the OP and only going to cause him to incur more costs for this screw up. There is a time and place to lawyer up, this is definitely not one of them. The only thing a lawyer will do for this guy is laugh all the way to the bank charging him $50 a phone call and not making any difference.

travathian on
  • soveriegnsoveriegn Freeman earthRegistered User new member
    For you who are upset with the lady for having financial issues rendering her incapable of paying insurance......FUCK OFF and blame your government.Better yet look in the mirror since you've elected these crooks into a position of abused power and control.
    Driving is a privilege? Google Charlie Sprinkle.......Then well talk!!!Fuckin assholes

This discussion has been closed.