As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Noir Spider-Man holy shit!)

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    With the disappointment of Web of Shadows I am hesitant to pick this up.

I need more info.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For everyone who hates on Web of Shadows, check out my Let's Play of it. It is a fun game. Not brilliant, but still fun.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    With the disappointment of Web of Shadows I am hesitant to pick this up.

I need more info.

This looks far less promising than Web of Shadows did at this stage.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    For everyone who hates on Web of Shadows, check out my Let's Play of it. It is a fun game. Not brilliant, but still fun.
    I agree as well that Web of Shadows was a fun game. What really pulled it down was the crappy cut and paste side quests.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Web of Shadows had a competent, sometimes fun combat system and decent swinging mechanics, but the game surrounding it ranged from mediocre to "oh god when will it end?"

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I kinda wish there was a sequel for Web of Shadows. There was a decent enough foundation.

Though if one Spider-Man game was going to get an actual sequel I would hope it was Ultimate Spider-Man. I think I had the most fun with that game.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    FreakinoutanamesFreakinoutanames Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    Kaseius wrote: »
    From the team that brought you great titles such as...

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen on PC! The port!
    Guitar Hero: Smash Hits!
    Monsters vs. Aliens The Game!
    Kung Fu Panda The Game on PC! The port!
    Bee Move The Game!
    Spiderman Friend or Foe!
    Spiderman 3!.. for PC! The port!
    Cars the Game!

HEY, cars was awesome!

Freakinoutanames on
    I found it in a dumpster....
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The final Spider-Man has been revealed.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So, I haven't kept up with the Ultimate line for quite a while but is Ultimate Spiderman a symbiot user now (or whatever the hell that cancer curing suit was supposed to be)?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So they added Deadpool for no reason.

They're working really, really hard to make me hate Deadpool in the same way I hate Wolverine.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »

They're working really, really hard to make me hate Deadpool in the same way I hate Wolverine.
    I think that's Ultimate Deadpool, who is pretty different from the usual 616 Deadpool.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yep that's ultimate Deadpool.

Also THE JUGGERNAUT.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »

I think that's Ultimate Deadpool, who is pretty different from the usual 616 Deadpool.

Well, still, adding Deadpool into EVERYTHING is getting pretty annoying.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »

Well, still, adding Deadpool into EVERYTHING is getting pretty annoying.
    He is a character with a history of dimensional travel, though. Seems like he could fit here.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ultimate Spidey with symbiote costume 24/7. After the Spider-Man 3 game I can't help but hate that damn thing. Truly wasted potential gameplay wise, but in this one? Eh, we'll see.

The Ultimate Spidey game Treyarch did a while back wasn't half bad as a rental actually; like Spider-Man 2 lite, only with more focused story missions instead of a more wide-open city to explore. Plus it had some terrific voice acting and some very funny moments.

Like this.

But then there were the Venom sections . . . Constantly draining life? Lousy camera and lack of web-swinging? Sluggish-like-a-bear-just-coming-out-of-hibernation combat? Not. Good.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why is Ultimate Spidey in the Symbiote Costume?

I mean, I get that they didn't want him to just look like Amazing Spider-Man, but it's not like he even used the symbiote that much in Ultimate.

And Ultimate Deadpool was terrible and everyone hated him.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isn't this just a case of Activitsion ruining anything it gets it's hands on? I haven't played WoW in a long time but I hear things about how, since Activision has started getting involved with Blizzards business, it's gone down hill.

That said, they've had the rights to Spidey forever and it's too bad. I love Spiderman he's been my favorite since I was a kid. Activision just doesn't need to make the games better to get money out of Spiderman.

Sorry, just frustrated. When a company has a ton IP to use and story arcs spelled out for them line by line I don't get how they make it so bad.

EDIT: At this point, Spiderman is on the same level as Sonic.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, if someone could give Spider-Man the same treatment Batman got from Rocksteady, I would play that game forever.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is Ultimate Spidey currently wearing the symbiote suit, or is this just an excuse to shoehorn in a symbiote Spidey?

And what was so bad about Ultimate Deadpool? I haven't read many comics in the past four years or so but I still dug what they were doing with Deadpool back then.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Is Ultimate Spidey currently wearing the symbiote suit, or is this just an excuse to shoehorn in a symbiote Spidey?

And what was so bad about Ultimate Deadpool? I haven't read many comics in the past four years or so but I still dug what they were doing with Deadpool back then.

I'm pretty sure Ultimate Spider-man wore the suit for something like 12 issues? maybe less? Yeah, they clearly just needed to make him look different.

Also Ultimate Deadpool wasn't at all funny or crazy. He was just an assassin dude with a robot face.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Ultimate Spider-man wore the suit for something like 12 issues? maybe less? Yeah, they clearly just needed to make him look different.

Also Ultimate Deadpool wasn't at all funny or crazy. He was just an assassin dude with a robot face.

So he wasn't Deadpool in the least, then. Yeesh. I can understand wanting to change him up a little bit or not have him break the fourth wall or such, but the dude's defining characteristic is "nuts." Why would you take that away?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, if someone could give Spider-Man the same treatment Batman got from Rocksteady, I would play that game forever.

I'm not interested in seeing roid-monster Spider-Man. Seriously, it looked like Bane was wearing the cape and cowl in BAA. I thought BAA was a good game with terribad art direction.

Dirty on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I think he wore it for one issue. If I remember right he only wore the suit for one night and realized it was dumb and then Eddie stole it.

And Ultimate Deadpool was really pointless.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well I know he wore it again once later, but it wasn't really his choice and he basically became venom.

And I think he wore it another time but I'm not sure.

And instead of Ultimate Symbiote they should have totally used
    88243-72666-spider-woman_super.jpg

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    From that video, it looks like they combined Prototype and Web of Shadows.

It really shouldn't be THAT damn hard to make a great Spider-man game.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    From that video, it looks like they combined Prototype and Web of Shadows.

It really shouldn't be THAT damn hard to make a great Spider-man game.

Its amazing that since Spider-Man 2 they've done everything possible to move away and/or fuck up what made it good.

This could've been an open world game with just alternate costumes.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'd say that most Spiderman games usually fuck up one or more of these things: the webswinging, the combat or the missions. I'm still waiting for a Spiderman game that manages to nail them all.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Giantbomb has a 10-minute demo up on their site.

I'm really digging the art direction; possibly one of the best looking superhero games ever. But this does not look like a good game. The combat looks, just... real bad, the stealth looks really rote and dull and the webslinging in the 2099 segment looks awful. As if they decided that building an entire game around the worst parts of the previous ones would be a fantastic idea.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Spider-Man 2 ad the webslinging, the combat and some decent missions and was able to have fun with things like Mysterio. All it needed was more varied side missions.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ha ha, jesus christ. Watched that video, a game without apparently any need for webslinging. Thats innovative certainly.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, from that Giant Bomb video it looks like they're trying to make Ultimate Deadpool goofy.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Positives: Spider-Man 2099 represent.
    Negatives: Everything else.

Ceno on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I think he wore it for one issue. If I remember right he only wore the suit for one night and realized it was dumb and then Eddie stole it.

And Ultimate Deadpool was really pointless.

One issue. He turned into Venom( the main universe venom) for 30 seconds blew the suit up and burned the remainder. Eddie found the rest.

Then I sort of lost track but the Video game Ultimate Spidey story became a comic book arc so he got the suit one more time though he didn't want it.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i really like the looks of noir and 2099. the level design and gameplay for those definitely look fun and new to me, really want to try this now.
    the other two seem like standard fare, just with the suit to give you a different style of combat. it looks like so far there's not as much emphasis on swinging which may backfire since that's what makes spidey fun... but at the same time they can try new things and we'll see how it goes once we can all get out hands on it.
    cautiously optimistic

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    So is this going to be another Spidey game where the DS version is best? Because Web of Shadows was short but pretty awesome for a Metroidvania game.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    that certainly looked pretty cool to me, i dont see why a spiderman game MUST have webswinging, if it does not fit into the type of game they are making, its better to not include it instead of having some half assed swinging just to have it.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    HenryVape wrote: »
    that certainly looked pretty cool to me, i dont see why a spiderman game MUST have webswinging

Well, one, because he's Spider-Man; it's one of the few intrinsic gameplay concepts that separate him from other superheroes, and two, because webswinging has been the most interesting and compelling mechanic in any of the recent Spider-Man games - remove that, and all you get is a substandard brawler. Which it doesn't look like they've improved much on here.
    HenryVape wrote: »
    its better to not include it instead of having some half assed swinging just to have it.

... which is exactly what they did. This game does have swinging, and it looks awful.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    judging by that Giant bomb video, they went back to Spiderman 1 web swinging, where it just attaches to... nothing

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The focus clearly isn't on swinging.

You know, this is probably the first Spider-Man game I won't just run out and buy day one. Maybe get it after a price drop or just rent it. If they're going to completely get rid of the open world aspect, then the combat and voice acting and story better all be good.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ultimate Spidey with symbiote costume 24/7. After the Spider-Man 3 game I can't help but hate that damn thing. Truly wasted potential gameplay wise, but in this one? Eh, we'll see.

The Ultimate Spidey game Treyarch did a while back wasn't half bad as a rental actually; like Spider-Man 2 lite, only with more focused story missions instead of a more wide-open city to explore. Plus it had some terrific voice acting and some very funny moments.

Like this.

But then there were the Venom sections . . . Constantly draining life? Lousy camera and lack of web-swinging? Sluggish-like-a-bear-just-coming-out-of-hibernation combat? Not. Good.

My favourite part was a chase mission of Electro as Venom. On skyscrapers. Which Venom can barely manage. At one point Electro reaches the top of a tall building and heads down. Fine, right? I ignore the other floors jutting out and head straight for the ground, overtaking Electro. And lose. Another attempt shows that Electro stops mid-way. Ok, so he goes back up again, that must be it? Nope, he goes all the way to the ground and continues.

So I failed a mission because I got too far ahead of a target in a pursuit mission, yeah.

Still, I'll wait and see what SD is like, you never know.

PaperLuigi44 on