As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Studying for A+ Certification

juggerbotjuggerbot NebraskaRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I am working on my A+ certification, but I'm not quite ready to pass yet. The extent of my knowledge is being able to build a computer myself, so I'm not a complete illiterate, but not good enought for the exam. What books would help me the most to study?

juggerbot on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    When I used to work for a company that did A+ cert training, we used A+ for Dummies as our textbook.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I got my A+ about 6 years ago. I had no hands-on experience with anything more complicated than installing a video card (and even that I screwed up repeatedly). I bought a book at random, "studied" for about two weeks, failed the test once then passed it the second time.

I suspect things have changed somewhat since I took it, but the hardest part for me was dealing with the old stuff; there were questions about Windows 95 and IRQ ports and extended memory and all that stuff.

Basically, if my experience is at all applicable to the test today, it won't much matter what you use to study.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    juggerbotjuggerbot NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks, I looked for the Dummies version at a local bookstore, but didn't find it. Stupid gift cards making me shop offline. I'll have to try the Dummies book then.

I took a practice test from about.com, which had questions about the boot order of DOS and things I haven't worked with in years.

juggerbot on