As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's The Best Way to Clean A Pair Of Eyeglasses?

Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth OperatorRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
New glasses, new problem: the lenses are plastic and, for some reason, a total bitch to clean. I've tried water, windex, paper towels, special cloth, towels, and those individually wrapped lens wipes from Walgreens. Everything leaves streaks. I've never had lenses that were so difficult to clean without leaving smudges or streaks.

Suggestions?

Spaten Optimator on

• moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Did you try breathing on them and wiping them in a circular motion with your shirt tail?

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Paper towels will scratch them.

Just some lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth should work. I'm not sure why that's failing you.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ROFL!!

Always rule out the simple stuff first.

My daughter has plastic lenses and I always clean them with a little microfibre cloth that I got from United Heath Care when my work did a benefits fair last year. That is the only thing I have found that doesn't streak or smudge.

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You can grab the lens cleaning solution for cheap from any eyewear store. You can also grab some jewelery cleaning solution which will do the same thing.

In a pinch I've also used monitor cleaning wipes. They don't leave streaks.

DekuStick on
  • CathodeCathode Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've never had any problems with the simple method I use to clean my glasses -- Just run them under some water, then soap up your fingers and wipe them down; rinse well and dry immediately. Just like cleaning any other surface really :D Have you tried this and are still meeting failure?

Cathode on
    "There is enough light to enlighten the elect, and enough darkness to humble them."
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    plastic? never use paper towels since they can have hard pieces embedded in the pulp that will scratch.... and NEVER use windex or any other ammonia based cleaner - it'll mess up any coatings on your lenses, and you'll have to get new lenses

hot water plus a little liquid soap works wonders... microfiber cloth if you need to clean them while dry

illig on