Options

Harsh prison sentences are fucking over black families big time.

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    This just turned into the absolute worst thread

Let me just say that I agree with the two people who said end mandatory sentencing and that other races are also included in black women's dating pool as well

It was a steaming pile of shit from post #1 and never got any better.

Great, and now you contributed to it by threadshitting. Thanks a lot.

No, I'm not actually curious about what legitimate arguments you have, so don't even start.

Wasn't planning on it. There are so many stupid assumptions in the OP that I'd be here all week. The worst, just FYI, was that black women's lives are worthless without black men in them. Downhill from there.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Let me just say that I agree with the two people who said end mandatory sentencing and that other races are also included in black women's dating pool as well

No, I'm not actually curious about what legitimate arguments you have, so don't even start.

Wasn't planning on it. There are so many stupid assumptions in the OP that I'd be here all week. The worst, just FYI, was that black women's lives are worthless without black men in them. Downhill from there.

What's so bad about the OP? Most people have a tendency to marry within their own race, and the OP is saying the high incarceration rate of black males in combination results in families with no father figures. I would guess that that the assumption is that this results in behavioural problems in the children, which manifest themselves as criminal in nature later in life. As a result, it creates a vicious cycle. That last part may be the jump, that the families with no father figures is problematic, or that black women are still marrying black males.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Worthless? No one said that. Nice strawman though.

The only thing the OP says is that the decrease of marriage rate from 62% to 33% has made blacks (read: not just women) lonelier (read: not "worthless"). Except black women are in a worse situation than black men because for every six black women available, only one "clean" black man is available.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    finnith wrote: »

What's so bad about the OP? Most people have a tendency to marry within their own race, and the OP is saying the high incarceration rate of black males in combination results in families with no father figures. I would guess that that the assumption is that this results in behavioural problems in the children, which manifest themselves as criminal in nature later in life. As a result, it creates a vicious cycle. That last part may be the jump, that the families with no father figures is problematic, or that black women are still marrying black males.

Hell yes it is; its storytelling. What about the lack of jobs and educational opportunities for black people? Puttin' a ring on it isn't going to magically solve the social problems that go with being stuck in the ghetto.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    finnith wrote: »

Hell yes it is; its storytelling. What about the lack of jobs and educational opportunities for black people? Puttin' a ring on it isn't going to magically solve the social problems that go with being stuck in the ghetto.

Again no one claimed so. The article in fact says that high incarceration rate of black males is only part of the problem. It likely did not go into other parts because:

a) it would have been off-topic
    b) most articles like this have a length limit

Perpetual on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Well maybe, but I don't think the OP is advertising itself as a quick-fix. And I would guess that it somewhat applies to black people living outside of low-income areas as well. The lack of a proper family is just amongst a list of contributing factors towards a bad childhood, the other ones you listed are there too. The OP is just focusing in on one particular aspect.

finnith on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This whole attractiveness issue seems to be a U.S. issue, and at least in my personal opinion it has also something to do with the modern "black culture" or whatever the actual term for it is. I personally don't find some of the popular modes of speech used by African-Americans to be attractive in the least, and some other aspects of the culture espoused by that community in the U.S. I'm not entirely sure why this is so, but I suspect that mass media has a hand in it.

There are obviously some personal preferences associated with appearance and other aspects of attractiveness, but the culture aspect seems pretty significant. I tend to find black people with British or African background generally more attractive than those with African-American background. This is a gross generalization though, and obviously there are many exceptions.

Edit: Edited for clarity.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    And here we are, at iteration #3534 of "black people talk funny and look weird and that's why they're not successful as a group"

fucking ridiculous and you should all be quite ashamed of yourselves.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I suspect on Monday Ta-Nehisi Coates of The Atlantic will have something to say about the article from the OP, it will be the smartest thing written about it, and then we'll all be able to go home.

Alternately, scan his archives for every post on black relationships, and most of the questions/confusions from this thread will be cleared up. That dude is a fine writer.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    And here we are, at iteration #3534 of "black people talk funny and look weird and that's why they're not successful as a group"

Even more strawmen. Wow, that's pretty amazing.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

i guess living in australia gives a pretty keen insight into black and white race relations, huh?

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can.. can we argue points and not people... please?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh, The Cat is from Australia? That explains things.

No, I'm now genuinely curious about how she extracted the meanings that she has been bitching about for the past page and a half.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ...By having a rudimentary understanding of how the world functions? The Cat's pretty smart and reads a lot of stuff about inequality, particularly in how it relates to gender and has actually made quite a few accurate posts.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ...By having a rudimentary understanding of how the world functions? The Cat's pretty smart and reads a lot of stuff about inequality, particularly in how it relates to gender and has actually made quite a few accurate posts.

So far all I hear are insane ramblings about things that no one said.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As far as America goes, we are often brought up (and by 'we' I mean white folks) in a society that paints women as cute, cuddly and/or submissive to some extent. Society also paints black women (in popular culture that is) as the wise-cracking, take no shit quasi-man-like persona. Obviously there are exceptions to this and additionally I'm not saying these portrayals are necessarily correct.

That is one cause.

Another cause is the average black woman's body is not built in a manner similar to what society tells us (white people!) is 'attractive'. This is anything from having, on average, larger bottoms or breasts for their body type, flatter noses and larger lips, and so on. Oddly enough, some of these attributes (large bottoms/breasts and large/plump lips) are considered a virtue on non-black women. I am not sure why.

Now so far I've given you the more 'given' reasons for why people aren't as attracted to black women (mainly due to society). To go on further, I asked myself how I felt, and this is what I came up with:

I do not like loud or obnoxious people, of any gender or race. However, a lot of the black women who I've seen around my neighborhood are VERY LOUD and VERY OBNOXIOUS. Now, I'm not saying that's the norm or even common, but I can't help but have it running in the back of my head when I see a black woman.

Next, I hate hip hop culture with a passion. Once again, this deals with any race or gender. However, I am not attracted to men, so I could care less about how they act and here in Missouri you don't see a lot of gang banging white girls. At least, not where I go. However, you do see a fair amount of girls (and guys, but once again, no attraction, don't care) playing stupid loud music or doing who the fuck knows at 4 AM outside.

The further I thought about it, the weirder it gets. For example, I like white women but greatly prefer the skin tone of Indian or Latin women. So you would, logically, think that black women would be an even greater appeal with darker skin, right? Yeah, no. I don't know why but for some reason it just doesn't.. do it.. for me. I honestly can't explain why. Further yet, I find mixed race blacks (such as Halle Berry) to have a very nice skin tone. To make it EVEN WEIRDER I find the skin tone of black people works AMAZINGLY for the men. Like Taye Diggs is a very handsome man and he's pretty dark in skin tone. I'm really not sure why I think it's good for the men but looks bad for the women.

I guess the only other thing about looks is I rarely find facial features on black women attractive. Flat noses are something I don't like on ANYONE so I can't really count that. I'm not a huge fan of super large lips either, but that's not a terribly common feature, either. Maybe it's some subtle combination of things? Dunno.

So I guess my dislike of black women (as a potential partner) is mainly that I don't see ones usually that I find attractive and the ones around here (for the most part!) are in a culture I find appalling. Circumstance, I guess!

Anyhow, I think this is a problem that will solve itself. As time goes on, you'll see more and more black people getting into college and find positions of power in the world. This will hopefully bring about a change in the average mindset. I think things will be a lot better when society stops treating women (well, them and everyone else) as set cards in a deck. As for dating whomever - I think you should just do what makes you happy. If you aren't attracted to other races, so be it. If you're ONLY attracted to other races, that's fine too.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

My position also applies to white people who adopt the same mode of speech and behavior. Also, it had less to do with appearance, as a virtually identical black person with British or African background doesn't have the same effect at all. I also never commented on their ability to be successful, so I'm not sure if you got that from my post or somewhere else. If my post reads like I'm implying that it has bearing on their ability to be successful, then that was not my intention. I was merely trying to extend the discussion on the whole attractiveness issue.

It's not an issue of physical characteristics, as much as behavior. I have no such issues with most African, Indian or other mannerisms.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I completely agree with what Magus said. He expressed my views there much better than i was able to.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

How the hell else are you reading rhan's post? Nice example of racism, though, claiming that I just don't understand black/white relations in the US as if your entire culture is shrouded in secrecy rather than jammed down the throats of anyone on the english speaking internet. Your cultural quirks are also not special-snowflakes; similar problems crop up all over the planet.

Less special pleading, more defending your superficial analyses of poverty and crime.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    By the way, people who are coming into a thread about crime and poverty to post about how black women don't make their dick twitch as if that's some kind of valid contribution? Yeah, don't. Just... don't.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

How the hell else are you reading rhan's post? Nice example of racism, though, claiming that I just don't understand black/white relations in the US as if your entire culture is shrouded in secrecy rather than jammed down the throats of anyone on the english speaking internet. Your cultural quirks are also not special-snowflakes; similar problems crop up all over the planet.

Less special pleading, more defending your superficial analyses of poverty and crime.

I worded my post badly, and thank you for telling me that I'm a racist for disliking aspects of a culture(HINT: Culture=/=Race). My post went out of context as I forgot to quote in the beginning of it, and the thread moved on while I was writing it. I was only remarking on the attractiveness issues, which was being discussed along with the main topic of the effects of imprisonment in the U.S.

I apologize for any racist comments that might be inferred from my post, it was not my intention to state something like that.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Why is everyone posting about their personal preferences in so much detail?

finnith on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, when you're being accused of generalising, the next step in your argument probably shouldn't be to decry the other person because they live in country X.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Rhan9 wrote: »

I worded my post badly, and thank you for telling me that I'm a racist for disliking aspects of a culture(HINT: Culture=/=Race). My post went out of context as I forgot to quote in the beginning of it, and the thread moved on while I was writing it. I was only remarking on the attractiveness issues, which was being discussed along with the main topic of the effects of imprisonment in the U.S.

I apologize for any racist comments that might be inferred from my post, it was not my intention to state something like that.
    I don't think you're a racist, but I do think that this is a subject that requires far more careful thought than I've seen in here.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    skinny87skinny87 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is an interesting subject, and I read the OP article several times to get its gist. But to someone who's never really debated race and its attendant subjects before, I'm rather lost. Is there some basic reading matter I can go through before trying to debate the point? I feel as if there's a whole world of analysis and opinions I'm probably unaware of.

skinny87 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    skinny87 wrote: »
    This is an interesting subject, and I read the OP article several times to get its gist. But to someone who's never really debated race and its attendant subjects before, I'm rather lost. Is there some basic reading matter I can go through before trying to debate the point? I feel as if there's a whole world of analysis and opinions I'm probably unaware of.
    you could try real life? This isn't some academic subject, you can just go outside and see what you notice.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    you could try real life? This isn't some academic subject, you can just go outside and see what you notice.

Not really. This sort of thing is incredibly difficult to effectively judge from a single viewpoint. Progressive movements in general have been deeply damaged by being largely pushed by well-off members of the dominant culture without an awareness of how people in different parts of the culture are affected by it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Not really. This sort of thing is incredibly difficult to effectively judge from a single viewpoint. Progressive movements in general have been deeply damaged by being largely pushed by well-off members of the dominant culture without an awareness of how people in different parts of the culture are affected by it.

Maybe if you just care about economic trends or whatever, then it's fine to look up some national survey. But the original topic was about culture and race relations, and I don't see how you can understand that just reading about it on the internet.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Maybe if you just care about economic trends or whatever, then it's fine to look up some national survey. But the original topic was about culture and race relations, and I don't see how you can understand that just reading about it on the internet.

You sure as hell won't get the information just being one dude living a relatively normal life.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    On note of the cultural differences in approach to mixed race relationships, in Wandsworth (borough of London), half Black Brits have a kid in mixed race relationships. Bit of extrapolating from that and it does seem that America is particularly bad about this. Would be interested in whether OKcupid has done any country exclusive studies.

Leitner on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So what exactly is this article saying? I am at work and I might be missing something here, but is the article just explaining that lots of black men are in jail and so the women suffer? Is it saying that the law is too hard on blacks? Is it saying that black men are prone to criminal acts?
    And what exactly does the article think is a solution? Less prison sentences for blacks? Be more lenient?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    On note of the cultural differences in approach to mixed race relationships, in Wandsworth (borough of London), half Black Brits have a kid in mixed race relationships. Bit of extrapolating from that and it does seem that America is particularly bad about this. Would be interested in whether OKcupid has done any country exclusive studies.

My cousin is mixed, and from what I've gathered from her and other mixed-race individuals, they have a hard time fitting-in. White people view them as black, and black people view them as white.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The current consensus among most of my friends in London is that mixed race girls are often outrageously pretty. Although your mileage will obviously vary.

By the way, a lot of the more outraged posters in here seem to be totally misreading what a lot of people are saying.

a) If I say people in general find x y z feminine, this is not a statement about "value", "worth", or even if they should find these things feminine. It is a statement about what I believe the current effects of social/biological mate-selection biases to be. This has nothing to do with what they should be. If I were to say "my friends don't find black women attractive because they regard them as being unfeminine", this is entirely consistent with "their opinions are racist and bad" but also relevant to why black women might have a difficult time finding a partner.

b) Statements about the current average properties of black women are not automatically statements about their inherent or genetic properties. If I am talking about why black women, as a group, overall have difficulty finding a husband, then the fact that they are disproportionately obese (coupled with the general tendency for men in the US to prefer slim - medium sized females) is relevant. It is not a statement that is going to be true throughout all time - and that's not what it's meant to be :/

A lot of the posters who are indicating they don't find such and such attractive aren't saying that their preferences are beneficial, or justified, just what they are. So could the tedious moral judging please only be whipped out for when people are actually being racist? Otherwise this thread will just descend even further into the pit.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait,so if I am saying "I usually do not find black women attractive,there are only very few examples of me being attracted to one" does that make me racist? Like "racist!" racist??

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait,so if I am saying "I usually do not find black women attractive,there are only very few examples of me being attracted to one" does that make me racist? Like "racist!" racist??

Sure, it makes you racist in a sense - just not a very significant one (in my opinion). The problem is that to many people there is only one degree of racism - OMG RACISM!!!!!!EXCLAMATION MARK - when in reality there are clearly degrees. Besides, who you are attracted to is a fairly unconscious thing, so calling people racists in the seriously derogatory sense over who they find attractive or not is kind of pointless :/

EDIT: I feel this deserves a bit of expansion.

There are conscious racist judgements;

"I believe that Black people are inferior to White people for an inherent genetic reason".

There are unconscious racist judgements;

"I'm feeling quite nervous about walking past this group of guys", where the guys in question happen to be black.

And, for want of a better term, really unconscious racist phenomena. These would be just little differences in how you treat black people as opposed to white people - a lot of people won't even know they do it, but psychological experiments will show these biases time and time again.

However, what you find sexually stimulating is lodged so deep down in the psyche I don't think the standard language of racism can be helpfully applied. In a trivial sense, plenty of people have what you might regard as a sexist race drive - they find asian women super-attractive at the expense of all others, for example - and this is something that can be based on the cosmetic racial features. But when people talk about who they are attracted to, and note the general category differences they find, there's not much point in acting as though they've just said that "Black women are inferior]"!

Although there is another point - namely that anybody reading the thread who is black might find it upsetting to be repeatedly told that they are unattractive - which probably should be borne in mind.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    If you guys really want learn more about this you should watch the Diary of a Tired Black Man, which apparently many black men can relate to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HVcFyF-mco

I guess the term we are looking for is that American black women are generally too "bossy" for most American men.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think an interesting concurrent point to this debate is, Why are Black women (on average) unwilling to date outside their race to similar levels as their male Black counterparts?

Purely anecdotal, I would say that half or less of the Black males I see as patients have Black mates. Yet Black women are almost 100% paired with Black men. And while White men seem less likely to date outside their race then Black men, they're far more likely to do so than Black women.

So, if this crass set of data is to be believed, is it possible that Black women are having trouble finding mates because all men take their preferences for granted? Do non-White men assume that Black women won't find them appealing and thus not approach them? As well, do Black men take the large pool of single Black women for granted and thus make no haste in approaching them?

Atomika on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Klyka wrote: »

cool story bro

Sam on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This whole line of discussion is tangential to the real problem. The problem isn't the harsh sentences, or black women in some way; its the high rate of criminal activity among young black men.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I only read the first 3 pages. But it's clear to me that people are afraid of being 'racist' and are simply turning a blind eye on a problem.

Why are white women more attractive then black women? It's simple, really.

First of all, look at everyones avatars and signatures. How many of them have pictures of pretty women of them? How many of those pretty women are black? I have yet come across one avatar or signature that have a black anyone in them.

Now lets look on a broader aspect.

Growing up, all throughout my life, I am rescuing princess from some evil dinosaur or something. What color where those princess? White.

Growing up, I have seen the hero hooking up with the girl. What color was the girl 98% of the time? White.

At the grocery stores, I am bombarded with images of how beauty should look like. What color are those models 98% of the time? White.

The reason why there is a desire for white women is because we live in a predominate white culture that teaches us, from a young age, to desire white women with certain aspects. Ignoring this, turning a blind eye, and calling everyone who bring this up a 'troll' is a as racist thing to do then advocating that all black men are criminals.
    But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

Casually Hardcore on