As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Order of operations: Moving

robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I've been wanting to move closer to work for a while. I just haven't really gotten off my ass to do it, mainly because I can't get my head around some simple logistics.

I need to find a place in Abbotsford, currently I live in Chilliwack. Carpooling has become an extreme nightmare in the last year. I really need to just suck it up and move.

What I can't get my head around is this: Do I give the landlord notice first and then start looking or vice-versa?

If I give notice, then I'm stuck finding a place by the end of the month and if shit goes bottom up I could end up homeless.

BUT, if I find a place first, I still have to give notice, which kinda messes with timing.

I'm so confused!

Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
robotbebop on

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    robotbebop wrote: »
    So, I've been wanting to move closer to work for a while. I just haven't really gotten off my ass to do it, mainly because I can't get my head around some simple logistics.

I need to find a place in Abbotsford, currently I live in Chilliwack. Carpooling has become an extreme nightmare in the last year. I really need to just suck it up and move.

What I can't get my head around is this: Do I give the landlord notice first and then start looking or vice-versa?

If I give notice, then I'm stuck finding a place by the end of the month and if shit goes bottom up I could end up homeless.

BUT, if I find a place first, I still have to give notice, which kinda messes with timing.

I'm so confused!

Find a place.
    Get approved and a move in date.
    Tell your landlord you will be leaving.
    Prepare to pay whatever you're obligated to under your lease for breaking it.
    Move in to new place.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    robotbebop wrote: »

Robotbebop is correct: Looking comes first.

Unfortunately, timing will not be perfect and you will probably have some overlap.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you have to give a full month's notice. Say you gave notice that you're moving out on April 30th on April 1st you are on the hook for all of April and May. If you did it on March 31st or earlier then you're okay.

I hope that makes sense.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I guess it depends on what kind of lease you have. If it's a yearly lease you have to warn your landlord 3 months before the end of the lease or else it's renewed for another year. (at least that's how it is here.)

If you only need to warn him 1 month in advance then all you need to do is find something that is for rent 1 month from now or later, then tell your landlord you'll be moving on X date.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    you have to give a full month's notice. Say you gave notice that you're moving out on April 30th on April 1st you are on the hook for all of April and May. If you did it on March 31st or earlier then you're okay.

I hope that makes sense.

o_O

The landlords/companies you have been renting from have been terrible. Is that a BC thing? Every place I've been at has just prorated the rent for the remaining days.

IE: If I gave notice April 15th, then I would only have to pay for 15 days of May.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's BC law. I got burned by it 2 years ago. HOWEVER. if there is a replacement found to move in on on our fictional date of May 1st then you'd be okay.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It depends on how nice your land lord is and what kind of relationship you have with him or her.

Some land lords let you off easy like the above poster, others will hold you to the lease. In the end, you're legally responsible for what the lease says.

So, find a place, get approved, put deposit, THEN tell your current land lord you are moving. There will be some overlap,but you also don't risk the chance of being homeless.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dammit I thought this was a math question

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are you on good terms with your landlord? When my husband and I moved out of our last apartment into a house, I was really friendly with the people in the front office, so I just went down there and said "hey, my husband and I are looking to buy a house in the near future, we haven't found one yet but I wanted to let you know, and of course I'll let you know as soon as we find one we like and set a closing date." They appreciated the extra warning and the knowledge that they were eventually going to have to find new tenants, but they were very understanding that we couldn't tell them when we were moving until we found a place, made an offer, had the offer accepted, etc.

So, if you're on good terms, I'd recommend just letting them know you're looking, but if things aren't great, then I would just keep quiet. Definitely start looking before you give official notice, though, it can take you a while to find a place.

illirica on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've moved a bunch and getting a unit from Pack Rat (a PODS like company) was the greatest fucking thing ever.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!